The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Who's the "main honcho of all US"? I've been working for USPS for nearly 20 years and I'm not aware of anyone like that, or at least not anyone who takes customer complaints.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My brother wants to buy a house in Sioux Falls. So I've been looking at realtor.com a lot lately. And YIKES. There are not a lot of houses under $200,000, and most of the cheaper ones aren't something anyone wants to live in (at least without extensive repairs/upgrades that would essentially bring the purchase price over 200k). Plus I joined a Facebook group about weird houses on Zillow, and the number of them that cost somewhere in the neighborhood of a million dollars is insane. Who can afford these houses? The median household income in the US is $60,000, there's just no way. Are banks offering 50-60-year mortgages now? That's the only way I could see anyone being able to afford it.

Last edited:

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
We bought a house last November, interest rates are super low right now. It’s our first home, and we cobbled together the down payment by raiding savings, borrowing from my 401k, husband borrowing from a life insurance policy and me selling a mutual fund started back in high school. With all that our mortgage is roughly the same as the rent we were paying. Rent in some areas is so high that sometimes it makes sense to buy.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Who's the "main honcho of all US"? I've been working for USPS for nearly 20 years and I'm not aware of anyone like that, or at least not anyone who takes customer complaints.
By main honcho I mean you call the 1 800 or 888 ask usps and get someone on the phone and tell them what is going on, they take a report and contact the local USPS. Since I do not know the people personally I always refer to them as honcho. And I have made complaints so I don't know what to tell you. I have called many times.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
By main honcho I mean you call the 1 800 or 888 ask usps and get someone on the phone and tell them what is going on, they take a report and contact the local USPS. Since I do not know the people personally I always refer to them as honcho. And I have made complaints so I don't know what to tell you. I have called many times.
Oh, yeah, that's the usual way, and, yep, every time someone calls it triggers an official complaint that management has to investigate and write up a report and all that. So, like I said, it might just be easier for them to suspend delivery, that makes it much easier to do the reports.

If you can find the number to the local PO, that might do more good, and at least they wouldn't have to do an investigation and report multiple times a week.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, yeah, that's the usual way, and, yep, every time someone calls it triggers an official complaint that management has to investigate and write up a report and all that. So, like I said, it might just be easier for them to suspend delivery, that makes it much easier to do the reports.

If you can find the number to the local PO, that might do more good, and at least they wouldn't have to do an investigation and report multiple times a week.
How does that make it easier? some people get medication by USPS. Government documents are sent USPS. I'm not walking or driving to Jefferson City, MO for any legal documents that need to be filled out for SSA or anything else. Our local post office disconnected their phone at the beginning of the pandemic. That is also another complaint of mine.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How does that make it easier? some people get medication by USPS. Government documents are sent USPS. I'm not walking or driving to Jefferson City, MO for any legal documents that need to be filled out for SSA or anything else. Our local post office disconnected their phone at the beginning of the pandemic. That is also another complaint of mine.
It makes it easier for management, not customers. This way, every complaint report can be settled by copy/pasting "suspended delivery to this neighborhood".

But like I said, they do have to make your mail available somehow. Here's the PO locator, if you click on your local branch it should have the current phone number underneath the 1-800 number: PO Locator | USPS

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
My brother wants to buy a house in Sioux Falls. So I've been looking at realtor.com a lot lately. And YIKES. There are not a lot of houses under $200,000, and most of the cheaper ones aren't something anyone wants to live in (at least without extensive repairs/upgrades that would essentially bring the purchase price over 200k). Plus I joined a Facebook group about weird houses on Zillow, and the number of them that cost somewhere in the neighborhood of a million dollars is insane. Who can afford these houses? The median household income in the US is $60,000, there's just no way. Are banks offering 50-60-year mortgages now? That's the only way I could see anyone being able to afford it.
In my community of thousands of homes, there have only been one or two listings of homes for sale on a daily basis and they are literally being sold on the day listed. It is just insane and I really feel for those who are looking to buy. Houses are going full offer cash or with things like inspections waived. There will be some unfortunate surprises for some new homeowners I think.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rent in some areas is so high that sometimes it makes sense to buy.
Oh it definitely was for me. But then I paid $83,500 for my first house and $90,000 for the second one. I don't see how it could be for him though. Median rent for a 2-bedroom apartment in Sioux Falls is $920, but the mortgage payment for a $200,000 house would be somewhere around $2000 after taxes, wouldn't it? Even with low interest rates. Oh I suppose I should mention that SD also has high property taxes because there isn't a state income tax. 1.31% of 100% of assessed value, putting the taxes for a $200,000 home at more than $200 a month.

Same in other places. I know someone in San Diego who pays $1800 a month for a 1-bedroom apartment. . .and that appears to be cheap for the area, looks like average for that size is $2,200. But median home price is $720,000, which would make the mortgage payment somewhere north of $5,000 a month.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my community of thousands of homes, there have only been one or two listings of homes for sale on a daily basis and they are literally being sold on the day listed. It is just insane and I really feel for those who are looking to buy. Houses are going full offer cash or with things like inspections waived. There will be some unfortunate surprises for some new homeowners I think.
Yeah, I guess Sioux Falls is experiencing a boom right now too. But still, WHO is buying them, and how are they affording it? There can't be that many people with above-average incomes looking for new houses. Are we going to see a lot of mortgage defaults in a couple years? Another housing crash? Ha, maybe he should wait for that to happen, then he could buy anything.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I guess Sioux Falls is experiencing a boom right now too. But still, WHO is buying them, and how are they affording it? There can't be that many people with above-average incomes looking for new houses. Are we going to see a lot of mortgage defaults in a couple years? Another housing crash? Ha, maybe he should wait for that to happen, then he could buy anything.
A big part of it is interest rates being at historic lows. It makes such a difference in payments. We aren’t seeing as much demand in more expensive homes but that average size starter home is in extraordinary demand. I do think though that another crash will happen.

Lola3791

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sigh - I do love Colorado. But having to shovel a chicken coop twice in April is a bit much. Poor husband can’t get any help either since I’m not supposed to be shoveling things these days. Those chickens better understand how lucky they are! (Other than the snow and ice and cold lol).

We tried feeding them warm oatmeal last night but they didn’t eat very much. They likely aren’t used to warm gooey oats.
What kind of chickens do you have?

Status
Not open for further replies.