The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
might go shopping at the dollar tree today .. i like to dress up my pen pal letters with cute stickers and use stationary that goes with that holiday stickers ( sometimes ) ...
Aw, I miss going to the dollar tree. That was one of the last stores I've been in back in May/June. Tried two stores, but both had associates not following the mask mandates. I was so excited to get some cute bowls/pots/cups for my plants, but ended leaving without purchasing to stay safe once I noticed the associates.

Hope you find some cute things while there!

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Newfound family seems to be a theme for us lately. John has a new uncle. Apparently John's grandpa got a women pregnant and she gave the baby up for adoption and he decided to find his birth family. He seems very nice and he wants to set up a family reunion thing this summer so he can meet everyone face to face - covid permitting. He and his husband just sent the kids each a new outfit. They're a little big - I guess Macy's clothes run big; we don't have one around here so we didn't know - but they'll grow into them. Honestly, I prefer the kids' clothes to start out a bit big because they grow so darn fast!

Aislyn has a new outfit, too, but she's not here to model it. 20210225_140826.jpg 20210225_140835.jpg 20210225_141452.jpg

Attachments

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Newfound family seems to be a theme for us lately. John has a new uncle. Apparently John's grandpa got a women pregnant and she gave the baby up for adoption and he decided to find his birth family. He seems very nice and he wants to set up a family reunion thing this summer so he can meet everyone face to face - covid permitting. He and his husband just sent the kids each a new outfit. They're a little big - I guess Macy's clothes run big; we don't have one around here so we didn't know - but they'll grow into them. Honestly, I prefer the kids' clothes to start out a bit big because they grow so darn fast!

Aislyn has a new outfit, too, but she's not here to model it.
How wonderful! I found a Grandfather and a slew of new relatives through DNA testing. It’s great experience to connect with them.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, after working on it (off and on) for two years, I finally finished my afghan.
Width: 100 stitches = 44 inches.
Length: 105 rows = 5 ft.
Thickness: ~1cm.
Yarn: Bernat Baby Blanket Yarn, 5 "Big Balls" (No, I didn't pay $11/ball; I got them from Joann on sale), color "Peachy."
Crochet hook: Size L (8mm) bamboo ChiaoGoo Tunisian hook (Note: "Tunisian" refers to the type of hook/type of crochet stitch, not the country; "ChiaoGoo" is the brand name).
Pattern: Tunisian Honeycomb stitch:

And here it is:
My Afghan.jpg

Those ridges are the back side of the afghan.

This yarn is a very soft chenille, and because the stitch creates a fairly solid fabric this makes an incredibly warm, cozy blanket.

Margret

Last edited:

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise

Aislyn has a new outfit, too, but she's not here to model it. View attachment 371332View attachment 371333View attachment 371334
NASA! 😍

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, after working on it (off and on) for two years, I finally finished my afghan.
Width: 100 stitches = 44 inches.
Length: 105 rows = 5 ft.
Thickness: ~1cm.
Yarn: Bernat Baby Blanket Yarn, 5 "Big Balls" (No, I didn't pay $11/ball; I got them from Joann on sale), color "Peachy."
Crochet hook: Size L (8mm) bamboo ChiaoGoo Tunisian hook (Note: "Tunisian" refers to the type of hook/type of crochet stitch, not the country; "ChiaoGoo" is the brand name).
Pattern: Tunisian Honeycomb stitch:

And here it is:
View attachment 371350

Those ridges are the back side of the afghan.

This yarn is a very soft chenille, and because the stitch creates a fairly solid fabric this makes an incredibly warm, cozy blanket.

Margret
That's gorgeous! It looks sooo cozy!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's gorgeous! It looks sooo cozy!
It is. A couple weeks ago the weather was cold enough that our furnace couldn't keep up with it. I couldn't bear to go to the kitchen to prepare food, it was so cold. I spent the entire day huddled under the afghan (still incomplete, with the crochet hook in the afghan, and the bead on the end carefully tucked in so Jasmine couldn't get at it). Ventured out just enough to feed Jasmine, occasionally visit the bathroom, and occasionally get a hot drink.

When I told Roger (my husband) about it, he expressed envy (he's currently in a nursing home, recovering from some injuries, and his circulation is bad so he gets cold). So today I sewed a label on it with his name and delivered it to the nursing home for him to use. Sigh.

Margret

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think I'm dealing with a case of metatarsalgia, which is pretty annoying. My foot started hurting as I walked home last friday. Thought maybe I just stepped wrong and just needed to...walk it off. Finally went and got an xray yesterday (it's so cheap here to get a quick xray and consult, only about $10 + $2-3 for 4 days worth of anti-inflammatory pills was in and out in 15 min!) but there was nothing wrong bone-wise. The medicine has helped as my walking is a little better today. We've got a 3-day weekend this week so will order myself to take it easy (we'll see...i just walk everywhere since everything's within 2km and also the weather is great these days, just about 50F) I posted a funny pic of my skeletal foot on the xray screen and my crush commented on it asking if I was ok (!) I know he's just being nice, or he just doesn't realize that hardly anyone else comments on my posts so it seems like a bigger deal to me than it should...but the feelings saga continues :sigh: To make things worse, I've been somehow locked out of all the dating apps (lol) so I can't even see if there's anyone else in this city to daydream about

We start a new school year on Tuesday. Our academy was in a really tight spot to get new teachers in so I ended up being asked to teach a first grade class. Not entirely happy with it, but on the plus side I get to leave 1/2 hour earlier everyday, which is huge!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Doing the early morning thing today, as I have an early out-of-town appointment to have my new hearing aides checked. I can tell her, they're FINE! I'm hearing birdsong for the first time in 35 or so years! My TV is now set at a very respectable 15, instead of its former 32 (which I'm sure makes my neighbors happy. Hekitty snores like a chain saw, and Scamper has a purr that could wake the dead! By the end of the day, I actually have "hearing fatigue" and am perfectly happy to set them in their little charger and spend a blissful, silent hour reading. But "blissful, silent hour" aside, I would not give these guys up for the world. BOY have hearing aids come a long way!

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WoW! It does look incredibly soft! So glad you were able to enjoy it and now your hubby will experience the bliss as well. I had similar thinking as susanm9006 susanm9006 to start a new blanket to keep for yourself. :)

Mia6 Mia6 - i was there from 830am until noon tuesday ... its not something that i like doing but i was in severe pain and couldnt deal with it any longer :sniffle:
I'm glad you went to get treatment. I've never stayed at a hospital like that, but can imagine it is not very fun. How are you doing now?

Finally went and got an xray yesterday (it's so cheap here to get a quick xray and consult, only about $10 + $2-3 for 4 days worth of anti-inflammatory pills was in and out in 15 min!) but there was nothing wrong bone-wise.
Wowza! That is cheap! Hope your foot feels better soon. That's cute your crush checked in with you.

Doing the early morning thing today, as I have an early out-of-town appointment to have my new hearing aides checked. I can tell her, they're FINE! I'm hearing birdsong for the first time in 35 or so years!
How wonderful! Great time of year to be able to hear the birds again, too. I've been hearing bird songs in the mornings this week and it makes it feel like spring so much!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Margret Margret That afghan is gorgeous.. sounds so nice, soft, and warm, for Roger...

Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 Must be so awesome to hear all the birds.. and Hekitty!!

strider rose strider rose I hope you feel better soon.. ((hugs))

Xraystyle Xraystyle Yikes!!! cheap for an X-ray! Stay off and ice... ((hugs))

Did I forget anyone????

Nothing going on... Went out to produce store, and Rite Aid for a few things...
The sun is still out..

I feel so bad for all the people who are trying unsuccessfully, in getting the vaccine.. It breaks my heart.. I was just talking with someone from church. Neither she nor her husband can get an appointment! And they are over 70.... ridiculous.

I feel so fortunate. It is a sense of relief. Not, letting my guard down, but not being quite as strict.
We have the variants to worry about. and the unvaccinated.

I still double mask when going to stores.. First time out since the vaccine. While I did not go out to senior hours.. crack of dawn; I went out a bit later.. 8:30am.. It felt good... almost normal..
Definitely a NEW normal...

Still sanitize my hands as soon as I get in the car. I do not use the carry basket, unless I have to.. I hold items in my arms.. but it was a bit of a relief.. I had conversations, through masks, with a couple of people.. both in the stores and in the building lobby. It felt good..

Now, I am going to wait a bit longer before I return to Church. Hoping I can return on Palm Sunday. I will put in a reservation, in the rectory.. They are still limiting numbers..
I want to see how the variants and vaccine roll outs go... I am still a bit fearful...but on the whole, it is a big relief to be vaccinated.. so grateful. I really miss Church.. I really do...

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
At artiemom artiemom , the vaccine process here in Minnesota is insanity. clinic are doing vaccines but are so behind they haven’t gotten lower than age 76 yet. Pharmacies are doing but you wait hours on the phone or computer to find out appointments are filled. There is a state lottery but if you are lucky enough to get an appointment it could be a couple hundreds of miles away. Not easy in a Minnesota snowy winter. It’s just a frustrating mess. I am 69 and diabetic and it will still be weeks until I get in somewhere

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last time I went to order yarn they were out of "Peachy," but I wanted something for a sweater so I ordered "Posy Purple." Two balls have arrived (as ordered), and I discover that I don't like the color as much as I expected; too dull. Roger might like it, though. The thing is, I'm 5 feet tall, and I meant this afghan strictly for me. It's a wonderful size for me, wide and long enough to cover my feet and my shoulders and to tuck in. But Roger's 2 meters tall (6'7"); for him it's just extra warmth for his legs, which, admittedly, is where he most needs it. So now I'm thinking, what if I got 5 more big balls of Posy Purple, giving me 7 all together, and made one for Roger in Posy Purple. 7 balls ought to give me enough to make it 50 inches wide by 6 feet long, and I could get a different color for my sweater, perhaps Easter Egg.

Regarding the vaccine, my state is currently in stage 1b; all health care workers can be vaccinated as well as everyone over 65, and I'm over 65. But finding the vaccine is still difficult, and people over 70 have priority, so I wasn't looking forward to the hassle. But then serendipity happened. In our neighborhood, Safeway is the grocery store that makes it easiest to be socially distant from people, so when I just need a couple things I go to Safeway, wearing a double mask. And on the 16th I was in Safeway and just about to check out when someone got on the loudspeaker and said, "Attention, all customers. If you're over 65 and haven't yet been vaccinated against COVID, please come to the pharmacy for a free vaccination." It turned out that someone had opened a vial of the Moderna vaccine accidentally, and they were desperate to find arms to put it in so as not to lose it entirely, and I was very happy to provide them with an arm. I have an appointment for my second shot on March 16th, and should reach maximum immunity on the 30th. In the meantime I'm still double masking and being socially distant, and I'll continue to wear one mask after I reach maximum immunity (other people have no way to know about my vaccination status), but I'm very relieved that I don't have to search for my shots.

Margret

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Margret Margret - that was serendipitous indeed! Our state has moved to 1b+, except in Cook and DuPage counties from what I hear. I'm basically group 2 (lol, feels like group 10 at this point. I'll be the last one), so I still have a while. My dad was able to get the vaccine from his doctor because of health history, but my mom is still waiting.

Oh, and I do think you should use your soso color for Roger. That's what I'd do in your place.

Status
Not open for further replies.