The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My dishwasher has broken down!!😭 It just stopped in the middle of a cycle!
I shouldn't be complaining - it has done a good job for 15 years and 6 months and was in use everyday.

Now, I have to make a decision, as it may be a good time for a change.
Do I go mad and install a completely new kitchen? As well as the dishwasher, the work surface needs replacing, the fridge is over 40 years old and I would like to repaint the area behind the sink cabinet and replace the plastic water-pipes. The drawers and cupboards are no longer in prime condition. With a newly designed kitchen, I could imagine doing without a dishwasher. But there is not much space for washing up in the present set-up.

Or do I take the easy way out and just buy a dishwasher?

Decisions, decisions .......:dunno:

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
maybe hold off until you get the stimulus check then you have more spending options budget wise
That would be nice but I live in Germany - no stimulus checks here. I gave all my receipts to my financial advisor yesterday for my tax assessment 2020 in the hope that he can get me a tax reduction. It would be nice to get a rebate rather than a demand for more money - but I'm not very optimistic! Not that I object to paying my contribution towards schools, roads and some other things - so long as the burden is shared fairly!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
DD is needing to do more things on the computer this year. DH told me to let her use his laptop. Since we homeschool we’ve not had to utilize online learning; but I am transitioning her to an online math next year and she needs to work on typing.

I have been intimidated by just the idea of letting my kids on the Internet. I’m looking at the parental controls. I found one online course that teaches computer safety. But eeks!

I think I might let her practice typing with a wireless keyboard vs the laptop one. It seems better suited for proper posture. So many things to think on now.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I shouldn't be complaining - it has done a good job for 15 years and 6 months and was in use everyday.

Do I go mad and install a completely new kitchen? As well as the dishwasher, the work surface needs replacing, the fridge is over 40 years old and I would like to repaint the area behind the sink cabinet and replace the plastic water-pipes. The drawers and cupboards are no longer in prime condition. With a newly designed kitchen, I could imagine doing without a dishwasher. But there is not much space for washing up in the present set-up.

The problem with doing a remodel right now is that everyone is also doing that. So tradespeople are charging more and taking longer. But if you can do the work, go for it. The advice I always give on kitchen remodels is spend your money on good custom or semi custom cabinets, as they are the most difficult to replace down the road and they get opened and closed many times a day. Cheap ones will not last. And get them with pull out shelves and extra deep (14 or 16 inch) upper cabinets. Pull outs make everything accessible and extra deep uppers give you an amazing amount of extra room. Every thing else in the room is relatively easy to replace, even countertops and appliances so skimp there if you need to.

Also, if you are doing it yourself, don’t tear out the sink until you absolutely need to. It just makes the project less painful because you can still wash dishes or get a drink of water . Good luck!

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And get them with pull out shelves and extra deep (14 or 16 inch) upper cabinets. Pull outs make everything accessible and extra deep uppers give you an amazing amount of extra room. Every thing else in the room is relatively easy to replace, even countertops and appliances so skimp there if you need to.
A few of our lower cabinets do have pull out shelves, and they're super convenient! I wish they all had them.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First, an apology to game misconduct game misconduct . Sorry I killed a huge spider that was on my bedroom ceiling this morning. It had to die so I could sleep well tonight. :lol:

Second, my husband apparently earned "great husband" points yesterday with the ladies in his office. He agreed to stay late at work so I would have a place to stay while youngest was at Behind The Wheel. But after almost 24 years of marriage, I know the real reasons behind it. One is so he wouldn't have to worry about getting himself dinner. I offered to pick something up on my way over. Second, he can use that extra hour as "work time" and get to leave an hour earlier today. :lol:

Lastly, youngest did great last night according to the instructor. She only had to use her brake pedal once and it was because she thought he was too close to a car when pulling into a parking space backwards. I happen to be there when it happened and he wasn't even close to the other car but I know how perspective is skewed when inside a car.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise

Buy a new one!!!

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
I'm getting my lingual retainer removed today. It lasted nearly fifteen years, but now it's starting to fall apart. My dentist said he had never seen one last so long.
what is that for?

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
I have a horrible gag reflex, so I can't keep a regular retainer in my mouth. It's attached to my bottom teeth.
ah,,,,,I've never heard of using a retainer for gag reflex but it makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.