The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depends. Is your workout the one sit up you do when you get out of bed in the morning?
:lol:no i do about 100 one armed push ups against my breakfast bar every morning in the process of tying to build enough strength to actually do em laying on the floor with my one good arm :lol:i might end up lopsided though with one half of my upper body toned an decently muscled while the stroke affected side is all soft and flabby:lol:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am helping DD work on a research project today. I wish you all could SEE the faces she is making. :flail: With limited library access we haven't done much real research this school year. I've finally got the libary's e-system figured out and I splurged and got one ebook for kindle for her ($5). Her writing curriculum really jumped in expectations this last year. She's been getting up early every morning to knock out her school work; but she can't just do that with research! She wasn't too thrilled about that! :lol:

So she's here slightly pouting and reading a real book on Dr. Seuss on her kindle while taking notes. We chose him because there are more sources for him than some of the other authors she was interested in writing about. I'll give her more freedom in the future but for now I thought it was important that she be able to easily find quality sources while she's really learning to research like this. Only using a computer to research is new to me. I was about to ask my friend's high schooler for help! I still might.

The cool part with using the Kindle to read the book is having help with words she might not understand and showing her the highlight and note features. She was a really late reader but does a lot of reading now. So this might turn out to be another good way to show her how far she has come with reading. Plus she seems really to relish independence lately. I think she will do well if she just learns to slow down. But for the moment i'm amusing myself with her expressions. :rolleyes2: :lol2:

We are pretty excited to take advantage of the hoopla connection with the library too. That looks fun! We have the Kindle Kids subscriptions but I only found biographies on celebrities. :rolleyes3: And some politicians. :rolleyes3::rolleyes3: :lol2:
:lol:no i do about 100 one armed push ups against my breakfast bar every morning in the process of tying to build enough strength to actually do em laying on the floor with my one good arm :lol:i might end up lopsided though with one half of my upper body toned an decently muscled while the stroke affected side is all soft and flabby:lol:
Just pose with that side out for photos I guess? :headscratch: My mother had bells palsy several years ago and for a while she was always trying to put her normal smile/eye side out or hide the side that wouldn't cooperate behind her hand. Can you believe getting fascials was part of her recovery? They made my grandpa use one of those tens shocking unit things. Fascials sound much much nicer. :cool:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Head spinning. The will of my dad and step mom has been found and I am named as executor. I have never been one before but have certainly handled many financial projects so it’s jumping into work mode. I am picking the will up tomorrow and trying to get an attorney consult as soon as I can.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cool part with using the Kindle to read the book is having help with words she might not understand and showing her the highlight and note features.
When I was taking some grad classes for teaching endorsements, I got my textbooks as ebooks. They were cheaper, I didn't have to lug them to work and then school, and then when I needed to find something in a chapter for an assignment, I could just use the search function rather than scanning twenty pages. I love the feel of real books for enjoyment, but ebooks are way better for college textbooks!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I’ve always wondered if people really liked the ebook textbooks. What kind of device did you read on? I can’t imagine doing a ton of reading on a backlit screen. I’ve got my Kindle Paperwhite but it’s not good for illustrations. She was using a Kindle Fire today.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used my kindle fire. So I guess it's backlit, but I didn't find it too bad. The convenience made it worth it to me!

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I enjoy the untamed beauty of nature. This is why I keep the grass in my backyard uncut. I enjoy walking through it. It doesn't bother me. Yet, a neighbor of mine keeps dropping by almost everyday to ask if we want our lawn cut. We tell them no, we have a lawn mower out back. If we wanted it cut, we will cut it ourselves. So, naturally, I have to ignore him when he stops by. Today, he knocked on the front door and the back door several times saying, "Hello?! Hellooooo??" And I'm sitting here thinking... this is ridiculous. And he left my back gate wide open... Christ. Am I just being bitter? I find this to be extremely annoying...

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you live in a town? Some have requirements about keeping your grass cut. I bet it can affect property values if it looks neglected. It's supposed to help with mosquitoes and I think ticks as well. My neighbors used to only cut thier lawn infrequently and it wasn't pretty. We have too many weeds around here that start looking like jungle plants and trees. :crazy:

We used to pay for a mosquito control company to come around because DS had allergic reactions to mosquito bites. When he was 2 his eye almost swelled shut from just one bite on his cheek; closer to his ear. It was massive enough that we ended up at the pediatrician. It helped; but because our neighbor's yard was unkempt we never got as good control on them as we should have. Their trees weren't as big back then; but those will bring more mosquitoes too.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I live in the city. There are no requirements have keeping the grass cut.
Cool. In the US I'm pretty sure every city/town has an ordinance about grass length.

I live in the country now and haven't mowed yet this year! But, yeah, it does encourage bugs so I try to mow around the house. I leave the back area unmowed though.

Status
Not open for further replies.