The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Went to dentist. The tooth is broke. And while I can save it the cost will be 3K that I do not have vs $200 to remove it. At my age there's no telling if I would have to remove it next year or so anyway so I may as well have it extracted. Then I need to get serious about getting dentures as not having the upper teeth is major cause of the bottom ones going bad from overuse. So setting up an appointment next week for removal.

After lunch have to take Mom to her doctor. She can't move at all. Then it's grocery shopping. What a nightmare.

Treasure and Sopdet are confused as to why I'm not outside all the time but I'm frantically doing Qmee surveys so I can cash out instantly and get food for them tonight and looks like it's going to have to be the cheap Dollar General food again as I had to spend $40 just now on office visit to the dentist. Ugh
Glad you were able to get the tooth looked at. Wish medical stuff wasn't so expensive in the US.

You all know that I lost two of my furry children in he last 6 months. Now I have only one, my Maine Coon Chamouti who is no spring chicken at 16. He was never much of a cuddle cat but when he was he could not get enough of belly rubs, brushing, combing, hugging, you name it. He also never said a word although his purrs could be heard across the room. All that has changed: now he wants to be with me all the time, sitting on me, sleeping practically on my head at night, laying on the floor next to the computer chair, clawing my leg because he wants to sit in my lap and keep me from the computer, following me outside for which he had no use after he had gotten lost for 6 weeks a year ago, he has also discovered he has a voice and he uses it frequently. He tells me when it is time to go to bed, then runs ahead of me and if the bed was left unmade he is there on it on the other side of the bed waiting for me. If the bed is made he patiently sits and waits for me to make it ready for sleep and as soon as I am done he is in it, all the while talking up a storm. If the dish is empty he sits next to it and calls me until I go to check what all the noise is about. He is making up for the loss of two cats and we are doing well, just the two of us.
Chamouti is so sweet. Giving you all the attention now. <3

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I provided feedback to someone today, but was very nervous because they posted on reddit the opportunity, and I hoped it was real. They asked for feedback a month ago after I searched the user name (no repeats if someone already gave feedback in the past) and no commenters said anything negative or that they didn't receive compensation, but also no one confirmed they received payment. So, I decided to try it. I was so nervous during the zoom because I worried I was getting scammed that my brain shut off, and I really struggled for words. Afterwards, I sent an e-mail that I had been anxious so it was hard for me to explain properly and expanded on a couple of things further to better clarify my suggestions for what they asked me about. And it was in fact a real thing because they already sent the amazon gift code and it has been successfully added to me account. Phew!

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What happened?? Was it one of those, oohhhh, wonder what it feels like, moments? Some of those cacti can be so sharp!
No. It had a dead arm with a live arm attached to it. I pulled off the dead arm and was going to transplant the live arm. Grabbed the live arm and got a bunch of thorns in my fingers. Then in trying to replant it, touch other arms and got more thorns in my knuckles.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No. It had a dead arm with a live arm attached to it. I pulled off the dead arm and was going to transplant the live arm. Grabbed the live arm and got a bunch of thorns in my fingers. Then in trying to replant it, touch other arms and got more thorns in my knuckles.
Ouchie, what an adventure that sounds like. Hope you are okay! I've seen people suggest wrapping newspaper around a cactus to help move it. Mine is still a small baby, but not too prickly. Luckily it is not the type to pierce my skin, at least at the size it is now. I often puch my nail against it so see if it needs water soon. Although, it is growing and it has been harder to do that test in the last month. Hopefully I'll learn what it looks like without poking it to know when it needs watering. My prickly cactus doesn't shrivel like my other succulents, but I believe the ribbing becomes more noticeable when it is less full of water.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm still wondering how Treasure and Sopdet survived as feral cats when they turn their noses up at everything I feed them. These 2 were the main dumpster diggers to get food 2 1/2 years ago and before I came along and now they are so picky it's not even funny. lol

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugg. I did something SO dumb I can’t believe it. I got my electric/utility bill and it showed me past due a month and I knew I paid it last month. Checked my account where I use bill pay to pay everything and I accidentally paid my telephone provider the $230 that should have gone to my utility provider. So I won’t have to make a phone payment for the next six months but had to send in a $230 payment ASAP for my utilities. 😯😮☹

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ouchie, what an adventure that sounds like. Hope you are okay! I've seen people suggest wrapping newspaper around a cactus to help move it. Mine is still a small baby, but not too prickly. Luckily it is not the type to pierce my skin, at least at the size it is now. I often puch my nail against it so see if it needs water soon. Although, it is growing and it has been harder to do that test in the last month. Hopefully I'll learn what it looks like without poking it to know when it needs watering. My prickly cactus doesn't shrivel like my other succulents, but I believe the ribbing becomes more noticeable when it is less full of water.
When my youngest was little he found the cactus growing wild in an outside planter and wanted to keep it. I never thought it would grow to look like this now.
FB_IMG_1522353405957.jpg
20180329_155744.jpg

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it was someone on here who mentioned this but Sopdet has been selected as a runner up for Americas Favorite Pet. I would have entered the other cats but Sopdet stands out with her ice color eyes and the markings on her head, neck and around her mouth. If she wins I get 5K as well as her photo being on the cover of Catster Magazine. But am excited nonetheless because she's worth more than that to me even without a prize.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my youngest was little he found the cactus growing wild in an outside planter and wanted to keep it. I never thought it would grow to look like this now. View attachment 347018View attachment 347019

Wow! how many years has it been? It looks so different, too. Rounder at the start, but now large flat segments. <3 So kool.

This is my little guy
SAM_0659.JPG

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, so the storm that went through a few days ago in Chicago and surrounding areas had multiple tornadoes. None where I was, although they seem to still be piecing everything together.

"Here's a final map of all 15 (!) tornadoes that touched down during the 8/10/2020 derecho event. We also shaded areas where widespread straight line winds >75 mph likely occurred. Other pockets of enhanced straight-line wind damage likely happened outside the shading. We continue to update our webpage about the derecho event, which you can access at the link below. Thank you to everyone who sent in their damage reports and photos, and to all the agencies who helped us during our damage surveys!
https://www.weather.gov/lot/2020aug10 "
1597457299707.png

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That was a crazy storm. I had to drive right into it on my way to work, and the lightning was amazing! Except I couldn't enjoy it because I was afraid it would hit me! But it was just starting out here; it got worse and worse the farther East it went. One picture I saw on Facebook showed a lawn chair through somebody's wall.

Last edited:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, so the storm that went through a few days ago in Chicago and surrounding areas had multiple tornadoes. None where I was, although they seem to still be piecing everything together.

"Here's a final map of all 15 (!) tornadoes that touched down during the 8/10/2020 derecho event. We also shaded areas where widespread straight line winds >75 mph likely occurred. Other pockets of enhanced straight-line wind damage likely happened outside the shading. We continue to update our webpage about the derecho event, which you can access at the link below. Thank you to everyone who sent in their damage reports and photos, and to all the agencies who helped us during our damage surveys!
https://www.weather.gov/lot/2020aug10 "
View attachment 347056
One of my facebook friends finally got her power restored today after losing it in the storm. I can't imagine having no electricity for over four days, but it sounds like ComEd was swamped. It seemed to have completely missed where I am, too.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Someone TP’d my house this morning. Its amusing and baffling at the same time. It happened between the time DH left for work and when I drove by an hour later to get my kids from a sitter after my dentist appointment. What teenager is awake and up to shenanigans at that hour?! It was only one streamer too so did they get caught?! 😂 My neighbor was still home when I drove by. It was glued to a piece of cardboard (DH pulled it from a gutter); so definitely planned. At first I thought it wasn’t even the cheap 1ply kind; but I pulled it down when it started raining again and it felt like the commercial stuff.

So who would do that?! I don’t live in a neighborhood. Cars go 50 in front of my house. My kids aren’t old enough to have friends who can prank them. The only teens from church that live close are a little old for that too. 🤔

My first thought was that DH did it with a little leftover roll from his work bag (emergency tissue supply) and wanted to be funny knowing we’d be home soon but he swears it wasn’t him. 😂

Its a mystery! 🧐😂

Status
Not open for further replies.