The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats have not returned. They are not responding to calls, their meal bell or favorite food. I really did it this time. 😩

I know they haven’t because of the 10 cams all over my property continuous record.

I really hope they didn't meet the same fate as Ambrose; Cooper; Shaman (who last was reported roaming streets again); CG; Shadow; Spirit, Gypsy and Tourmaline which is why I still think coyotes are getting them. The other caretakers have not seen these cats.

Last edited:

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats have not returned. They are not responding to calls, their meal bell or favorite food. I really did it this time. 😩

I know they haven’t because of the 10 cams all over my property continuous record.
They'll come back. Ferals always do but they like to have adventures.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
They'll come back. Ferals always do but they like to have adventures.
Uhm ferals don't always come back. Ambrose gone one year. Cooper gone 5 months. Shaman gone 4 months. CG gone 3 1/2 months. Shadow gone 3 months. Spirit and Gypsy gone 2 1/2 months. Tourmaline gone 2 months. That's quite the record of cats gone missing or the longest adventure ever and the other colony caretakers have not seen them. We have a private group on Next Door to alert each other of missing feral cats or new ones.

Last edited:

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
First exam went great! It was easier than I thought it would be so I think I did well. I have another one on Wednesday and one on Friday. The one on Wednesday is for astronomy and I don't know why but the teacher made it a two part exam. His department had recommended forgoing exams because of the circumstances and somewhere in that recommendation he decided it would be a good idea to have a lengthy written portion and a long multiple choice test... :confused: The multiple choice part is due Wednesday and the written part is due on Sunday. A lot of time to complete it but still so much extra work.

Felix is eating like crazy again and losing weight. I tried making an appointment for blood work at his vet and they are fully booked this month. No one has the time to drive me to the clinic and I'd have to take the bus which would give me a lot of anxiety because I noticed that the buses were pretty crowded with people. Man, I really wish I had a car.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, tornado sirens went off here. My mom and I got all the kitties in their carriers. I hurried to move boxes and bags out of the closet so my mom and I could fit in there, plus all the cat carriers (my three stacked) and take the heavy boxes off the top shelf. My poor mom was like, "I'm going up to get my shoes" while I was getting the last of the things moved out of the closet. At that moment, it had already been very, very windy, but rain started beating down very, very hard right when she said that, and I screamed frantic at her not to go and that it just started pouring down rain. I always think about how fast things can happen and you never know, and told her to stay put. I talked to her afterwards to let her know I validate her reasoning and understand that she was afraid if the windows broke that she needed her shoes if she had to walk over glass, but I didn't want her to take a risk of walking upstairs to the other end of the house to grab them because things can happen so fast. I feel really bad for yelling at her and did apologize. I was freaking out and get very nervous with storms.

Katrina and Sunnie were the most vocal, and I played relaxing cat music on my laptop. We were in the closet probably close to 30 min. just in case as this was when the tornado warning expired for our area. Still have high wind warnings until 7 and severe storm watch.

How's every one else? I know there are others in the northern Chicago suburbs. Anybody there or anywhere else have a bad storm go through, too?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, tornado sirens went off here. My mom and I got all the kitties in their carriers. I hurried to move boxes and bags out of the closet so my mom and I could fit in there, plus all the cat carriers (my three stacked) and take the heavy boxes off the top shelf. My poor mom was like, "I'm going up to get my shoes" while I was getting the last of the things moved out of the closet. At that moment, it had already been very, very windy, but rain started beating down very, very hard right when she said that, and I screamed frantic at her not to go and that it just started pouring down rain. I always think about how fast things can happen and you never know, and told her to stay put. I talked to her afterwards to let her know I validate her reasoning and understand that she was afraid if the windows broke that she needed her shoes if she had to walk over glass, but I didn't want her to take a risk of walking upstairs to the other end of the house to grab them because things can happen so fast. I feel really bad for yelling at her and did apologize. I was freaking out and get very nervous with storms.

Katrina and Sunnie were the most vocal, and I played relaxing cat music on my laptop. We were in the closet probably close to 30 min. just in case as this was when the tornado warning expired for our area. Still have high wind warnings until 7 and severe storm watch.

How's every one else? I know there are others in the northern Chicago suburbs. Anybody there or anywhere else have a bad storm go through, too?
Across town they had massive hail - baseball and golf ball size but fortunately it missed my part of town. I sure sympathize with those of you who don’t have basements to shelter in. Even thirty minutes in a closet would seem like a very long time.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I think you're farther north than me, but we heard the sirens where I babysit. We honestly didn't go in the basement or anything, though we probably should have. Power flickered, but didn't go off, and there wasn't any damage - it was a lot worse last storm we had.

I imagine Sparkle was probably hiding in my closet at home. She hates storms.

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's still raining here
We had another typhoon skirt the southern edge of the peninsula yesterday and bring with it more downpours
A few more days and this will be the longest rainy season on record in Korea
For me, the worst part is having to wake up to darkness already. As much as I hate waking up early, it's a lot easier to do when the sun is out and the birds are chirping.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Across town they had massive hail - baseball and golf ball size but fortunately it missed my part of town. I sure sympathize with those of you who don’t have basements to shelter in. Even thirty minutes in a closet would seem like a very long time.
Wow, that's big hail! My mom realized she hadn't parked her car in the garage while we were in the closet., but what can you do at that point. Luckily, no hail here.

We kinda have a half basement where all the windows are at ground level. I call it the downstairs, but all my friends called it a basement when we were young. But I get what you are saying. Full basements feel much safer and there can be more room, too.

I think you're farther north than me, but we heard the sirens where I babysit. We honestly didn't go in the basement or anything, though we probably should have. Power flickered, but didn't go off, and there wasn't any damage - it was a lot worse last storm we had.

I imagine Sparkle was probably hiding in my closet at home. She hates storms.

Wow, how were the kids when the siren went off? How old are they? The power flickered here, and it was when I was frantically pulling things out of the closet to make enough room for my mom and I. I've heard stories of people who hear the siren and go straight to shelter, and right when they get there something happens, like the roof rips off or something. I try to keep that in mind because things can happen so fast without warning, better to be safe than sorry.

Glad you all are okay <3

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, how were the kids when the siren went off? How old are they? The power flickered here, and it was when I was frantically pulling things out of the closet to make enough room for my mom and I. I've heard stories of people who hear the siren and go straight to shelter, and right when they get there something happens, like the roof rips off or something. I try to keep that in mind because things can happen so fast without warning, better to be safe than sorry.

Glad you all are okay <3
5 years (and was more annoyed about the tv flickering off than anything), and 4 months (completely chill and happy and didn't notice), but the sirens weren't super loud. Their dad is working from home upstairs (and their mom, my friend, is in the office), and since he didn't even come down (well, he did to grab their garbage bins from the street and went back to work), I decided not to freak out. I guess we probably pressed our luck, but fortunately it ended up okay.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had a thunderstorm here. It was during Aedan's nap and I often nap with him. Ali still sleeps most of the time. Aislyn prefers to watch TV now and that's ok. She knows the house rules - no opening the door for ANYONE and no using any appliances. We have snacks that she can get to herself. And the three of us who napped slept very well. Storms are relaxing for me. And the cats aren't bothered by them. They'll raise their heads and look annoyed at a loud thunder clap but then go right back to sleep. They have no fear.
We don't have a basement, but we live in a brick apartment - single story- in the middle of town. Most tornadoes do their damage on the outskirts because they lose traction with all the buildings. I say "most" because we all know what happened to Joplin.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Saturday the electrician was here to put in the outlet in our garage and DH and my stepdad picked up a uhaul to get the freezer my mother’s co-worker gave us.

I just plugged it in this evening. We were waiting on an outlet alarm the electrician recommended. The sides and top are hot but the front and back are cold and the ice pops I stuck inside are freezing.

I wasn’t sure about it feeling hot but my mother said hers is like that and its only a few years old. This freezer is close to 30 years old but it was free and looks really well maintained. Mom said this lady is very meticulous. I ordered a temperature alarm for it too. I need to get her a nice thank you gift!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you wait for sales you can get a 5cf for around $125 and a 7cf for around $150. Also if you know anybody with a Sam's Club membership who would be willing to order it for you, you could get free delivery too. Well those prices were pre-COVID, lets hope they settle down again someday. Currently the prices on the Sam's Club website are $170 and $200, respectively, and they're also out of stock :/.

Status
Not open for further replies.