The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh man. Maybe I should stay off that road where the bear was spotted then. I know there are coyotes and coydogs in there too.
The problem with that road is, it's all dense forest except for one house. The other road I walk on, the trees have been cut back and they use the land to make hay, so no wild animals can hide and pop out at me.
Like I said, that's why I carry bear spray. The one that I have will shoot a stream 30 feet, but make sure you shoot it down wind, or you will regret it. Trust me on that.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh man. Maybe I should stay off that road where the bear was spotted then. I know there are coyotes and coydogs in there too.
The problem with that road is, it's all dense forest except for one house. The other road I walk on, the trees have been cut back and they use the land to make hay, so no wild animals can hide and pop out at me.
mags, maybe you should get some bear spray?

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
By the way, Roy isn't some doddering old coot. He's one of those who thinks that riding his bike 25 miles is just a nice warm-up. Usually, it's 50 miles or so, and his bike? I never asked the price, but it's more than I could ever afford.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
There are definitely confirmed cases of coyotes in the area. Have been for 60 years. But of course, I never saw them. Bear spray is good but the cats don't know how to use it and coyotes are usually out at night or so I think. I could be wrong. I don't mind the red foxes, raccoons, possums and ground hogs but the coyotes are something I'm not caring to see especially with these cats. I think like someone from STFCO (St Louis Feral Cat Outreach) stated, coyotes are everywhere. And it does make me wonder (sadly) if that isn't what is accounting for some of the missing cats I've been experiencing and asking advice about for 4 to 5 months. Our coyotes are in the suburbs. And as cute as they are I also don't want the skunks I've been smelling lately because of well the stink.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never seen a skunk on my property but lately I've been seeing little diggy spots like skunks do, and last night when I let the dogs in I smelled a strong skunk odor and was afraid one got in the yard and the dogs got sprayed. . .but the smell stayed outside so that was nice. But it was really strong; maybe the skunk got scared and sprayed outside the yard. The yard is Chihuahua-proofed so hopefully a skunk can't get in but who knows. I think skunks are cute and I don't mind the odor that much but I definitely don't want to have to try to wash it off the dogs!

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are definitely confirmed cases of coyotes in the area. Have been for 60 years. But of course, I never saw them. Bear spray is good but the cats don't know how to use it and coyotes are usually out at night or so I think. I could be wrong. I don't mind the red foxes, raccoons, possums and ground hogs but the coyotes are something I'm not caring to see especially with these cats. I think like someone from STFCO (St Louis Feral Cat Outreach) stated, coyotes are everywhere. And it does make me wonder (sadly) if that isn't what is accounting for some of the missing cats I've been experiencing and asking advice about for 4 to 5 months. Our coyotes are in the suburbs. And as cute as they are I also don't want the skunks I've been smelling lately because of well the stink.
Coyotes can be out at any time. I've seen them mornings, midmornings, and afternoons. Understand, though, that where I've seen them is out in the sticks, away from population. On more than one morning, around 4 or so, I've seen them right in town, crossing the road in front of me while on my way to work.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And if an animal wants to eat you, you are going to have to cause a little bit of pain to make them go away.
Can't I just do what I did with the snarling pitbull I encountered on my walk? I said "You're a good boy, I love you" and he stopped growling. Probably wouldn't work on a bear, huh? 😁

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never seen a skunk on my property but lately I've been seeing little diggy spots like skunks do, and last night when I let the dogs in I smelled a strong skunk odor and was afraid one got in the yard and the dogs got sprayed. . .but the smell stayed outside so that was nice. But it was really strong; maybe the skunk got scared and sprayed outside the yard. The yard is Chihuahua-proofed so hopefully a skunk can't get in but who knows. I think skunks are cute and I don't mind the odor that much but I definitely don't want to have to try to wash it off the dogs!
We had a skunk digging up our front yard! My husband got these little things he puts out overnight that emit ultrasonic waves or something that's gotten it to move on. I'm not sure what they are, exactly, but this was after trying several other methods, and seems to have worked.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good luck Graceful-Lily Graceful-Lily ! I don’t miss finals. Some of mine weren’t exams; they were drawings and renderings that had to be presented a certain way. On one hand it gave me more time; on the other...it took hours and hours and hours to do. Sometimes all of spring break. 🤪 I got married before my last year of college so I had moved out; but my parents had to go away overnight so they had asked me to stay with my youngest step sister; who was 14 at the time. I was so busy with finals I didn’t actually get there to “stay” until the wee hours of the morning. I don’t think that’s what my parents envisioned. :lol: My stepsister was like; “I’m fine, no big deal.” 😎

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:frustrated::gaah: with that problem tech again. She was in on Monday but then called out sick or something for the rest of the week and then has an approved vacation time for a couple days. I was assigned to check her area today. Not a fun job :headshake: I had to replace a ridiculous amount of stuff. I could have done more but I was at my limit. No idea why the tech did not do her job on Monday. I told the supervisor and she wasn't happy. The person who was assigned to check that area yesterday is also not happy with the amount of work she had to do in there. Later, I was entering billing stuff and noticed that the tech had recently entered (from home or wherever she is) most of her billing stuff for July in the August tab of the spreadsheet. Billing for July has already been submitted and completed and she's just entering stuff in now?? I showed the spreadsheet to the supervisor and, since it's a Google spreadsheet, right at the top it says "last edited an hour ago by [tech's name]". The supervisor was :frustrated: The tech worked this past weekend doing one basic task. There is no excuse why the tech couldn't have set aside an half hour or so on one or both days to enter her billing stuff before the end of the weekend :headshake:

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A grandma, mom, and son died in a landslide yesterday here. They were well-known amongst the New Zealander expats, so I heard about it from my kiwi friends who knew them. Very sad. You always think of stuff like landslides happening to people in faraway, remote places without proper infrastructure...but it can happen to anyone. It's the middle of vacation season, too, and typically the area where they were at is very popular (they were running a vacation home rental facility).

There is still rain forecast every day for the next week. It's already been 3 weeks straight here in Seoul and apparently more than 40 days in the whole country.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Well today I'm needing to stay inside because Mom fell yesterday. Besides that I need to earn $18 doing surveys by 5PM Central time for a bill that needs to be paid and sill spend time with the cats outside before they think I"m giving them the boot. Top all of this with the daily housecleaning. Ugh I won't be in bed til tomorrow night at this rate.

Oh and I think I need to put Treasure on a diet. My neighbor thought he was pregnant (not knowing Treasure is a male)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.