The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Coyotes will eat cats but not all coyotes and not all cats. Urban coyotes, especially, are usually well-fed enough that they can afford to ignore cats. I wouldn't really be comfortable with coyotes around but it's not like you can build an enclosure so I guess just hope for the best.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm just hoping that whoever said that is confusing one of the red foxes with a coyote as I've seen the red fox.

Although a moment ago I went outside and almost got knocked off my feet by two very vicious and uncontrollable animals that I named Treasure and Sopdet haha

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom asked about the non-mask wearing and her elderly friend situation when she had a phone call appointment with her doctor today. The doctor said to stay 10-12 feet away, just go in and out, and if she has to do bills to take them outside while she is working on them. My mom is not sure how this will work because she does stay there for extended periods of time. The doctor also said that she needs to tell her friend to wear a mask and that if she will not my mom won't come over, and then follow through and don't go over there. We'll see what happens.

I think she was hoping the doctor would say something differently and tell her it was okay and not risky, but the doctor was very direct and told her the mask wearing was important.

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Still raining.
Last week I forgot my check card at home
Last night I forgot my whole wallet at work.
thank goodness for food delivery apps that have your payment info saved
and for the spare change I have collected
It was kind of funny as I checked my bag for any loose cash
Turns out I had a whole pocket full of cash
but it was Malaysian Ringgits not Korean Won...

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For the most part, coyotes will only go after humans if they're sick or starving. They're cowardly.
A few years ago, a guy that I have known for a long time was attacked by a pack of coyotes. He was forced to use his hiking stick to fend them off, and was bitten before he was able to drive them away- which is why I carry a canister of bear spray with me whenever I'm out in the boonies around here.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not to argue but I wonder if those were dogs. I've read repeatedly that coyotes stay as individuals and don't hunt in packs. Nonetheless, having bear spray is a smart move.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Scooter spent the night there with Danielle, then politely requested to go back outside around 8 AM. He went out, but stayed nearby. Friends of Danielle came to visit, a couple, and he demanded to come in again, and made himself at home in their laps. They left WITH SCOOTER, headed to my vet (Danielle recommended them) for check-up, shots and neutering. His name will remain Scooter. It really is an ill wind that blows no good at all!

We did lose power once...but it took longer for the modem to reboot than the outage lasted!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was SHOCKED at how fast he decided that people and HOME are good things! I've known this cat since he was a tiny kitten (he's one of Little Bit's litter from last year), and have never before been closer than about 3-4 feet to him. But last night convinced him!

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes cats just suddenly "get it." A long time ago, my mom adopted a half wild kitten. It had been living inside, but the mom's owner never interacted with the kittens. For 3 days, she did nothing but hide. I had a kitten I'd picked up off the street. Ridiculously cuddly little thing. I named her Storm cuz she purred up a storm. Well, I picked her up and told her she needed to tell Pumpkin that it was safe and we wouldn't hurt her. Storm went behind the washer where Pumpkin was. I heard some meows, then Pumpkin came up, climbed on my lap, and started purring. From that moment, she was a huge attention ***** and constantly demanded pets and cuddles from everyone.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not to argue but I wonder if those were dogs. I've read repeatedly that coyotes stay as individuals and don't hunt in packs. Nonetheless, having bear spray is a smart move.
Nope- they were coyotes. I have heard them at night and seen them on some of my outings, and while they sometimes hunt as individuals, they also hunt as packs. That's how they take down deer. They use relays to chase it to the point of exhaustion, then close in and kill it.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I absolutely couldn't take being at home anymore. We needed a couple of things from Walmart so the kids and I are sitting in the car while John goes in. Even not leaving the car, it's at least not home. Change of scenery. It's something.
You are so right. I need that, Kaylee is coloring my hair today and if I can get an appt. I'll have it cut tomorrow.
I so miss hiking which I haven't been able to do in almost 20 years. My family won't take me, they say it's too
dangerous for me, but I will ask Kaylee and see if she'll take me to a very tame area of the Park in Hinckley.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
a guy that I have known for a long time was attacked by a pack of coyotes
Oh man. Maybe I should stay off that road where the bear was spotted then. I know there are coyotes and coydogs in there too.
The problem with that road is, it's all dense forest except for one house. The other road I walk on, the trees have been cut back and they use the land to make hay, so no wild animals can hide and pop out at me.

Status
Not open for further replies.