The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
My heart just shattered to pieces. The St Louis Zoo had to humanely euthanize the baby male elephant calf. This would be Raja's 2nd offspring that had to be put down. The first was a daughter that developed a form of cancer and had to be euthanized at 7 years of age and this one, a male. I know that the zoo did everything they could for the little one but it still is so sad.

Asian elephant calf Avi has died | Saint Louis Zoo

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The two sisters I grew up with and I were always "underweight." All 3 of us are still borderline. My maternal grandma and mom were also tiny before menopause. And the grandma I just found said she, all my aunts, and both sisters on that side were always tiny as well. So it runs on both sides of my family.
See that would make me much less concerned too. My Grandma was always very tiny. When she tried to join the military during WW2 she was under weight. She got in by stuffing herself with pastries. And then marched out of her bloomers during PT one day. :lol2: Unfortunately I did not inherit that gene. 😏
The leaves are already starting to turn. Good grief.
We have one tree that always turns super early. It's the last to get leaves and the first to lose them. DH has commented so many times about taking that tree down; but our neighbor has the same kind in his yard and it is the same way. So I don't pay it much attention.

DH and I are still getting quotes for work on our big trees. This is the less fun part of being a grownup/homeowner. :lol: It looks like I need to spend some time tomorrow morning moving my potted flowers around a bit. We are supposed to get some rain and wind from this tropical storm. I think I may just tuck them under the eve of the house. Or I can put them under the woodshed. It's not fully enclosed but the toads that live in them won't get stuck in my garage like they might if I put them in there.

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
rain rain rain
they even sent out an emergency text at 5:30 this morning. My commute wasn't affected, but people who drive probably had a rough time of it! The river cuts the city in half and two main highways run along either side of it. Here's a pic from one of the main news agencies this afternoon:
1596438140587.png

There's rain in the forecast every day for the next week! We might get the tail end of a tropical storm by Thursday! I think this is one of those "once in a decade" floods...hopefully not any worse than that!

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
On my mind is Felix's birthday. I can't do a party (that was the original plan) so I'm trying to come up with a way where everyone can celebrate from home. So far, I'm thinking maybe I could bake a bunch of little cookies with his face on them and a small personalized note for each family member. And then I could decorate a part of the house and have a photoshoot. I was going to buy him a tuxedo and dress up myself. Not sure how this is going to go yet...

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
MoonstoneWolf MoonstoneWolf These are tall, what about something like this style? If you are looking for suggestions. Not the exact one I have, but same style. There's many more to choose from, too. They snap shut and should have a soft seal within the rim to make it air tight.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00186O0LU/?tag=thecatsite
I have one of those, don't remember where I bought it. Big Lots! has lots of plastic containers of all sizes and they are usually cheaper, may try one of those.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
Lol, I saw this and thought you might appreciate it:

View attachment 345322
I certainly would never eat there. This is total disregard for the health and well-being of others. The health department should shut them down.
Regarding the "sweet freedom of no one ever being told what to do": I bet they drive on the right side of the road, I bet they have a drivers' license and insurance, I bet they either send their kids to school or home school them, all the things the government tells them what to do. No wonder the US can't lick this virus when other countries are well on their way of doing so. There are more yahoos living here than in all the other developed countries combined. Unfortunately too many of them also have positions of influence.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I certainly would never eat there.
I'm fairly certain it's satire to make a point, although nobody on the Facebook page I took it from could agree on if it was or not. But an actual restaurant that didn't enforce handwashing, dishwasher temps, and food temps would be shut down pretty quickly.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Lol, I saw this and thought you might appreciate it:

View attachment 345322
I SO STOLE THAT!

Yes I'm sure it would or some guacamole if you like that.
OOOOOH! YES! Homemade and fresh!

I certainly would never eat there. This is total disregard for the health and well-being of others. The health department should shut them down.
I'm absolutely certain that it is snark, as well, and pretty good snark to be sure. The Health Department wouldn't stand for that at all. But as a way to point out the selfishness of not wearing a mask, it does a good job.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
HOLY OH MY GOODNESS! POUNDING RAIN! Danielle, a neighbor, called to tell me she was moving her car in front of my apartment, which is about 18" higher than her's is, in case of minor flooding. When she brought it, we heard a cat in obvious distress right in front. We got the flashlight, and waded out into the rain. There, under the bushes, was Scooter, soaking wet, all hunkered down. Now, Scooter is NOT a cat that I've been able to handle, but I scruffed him, and pulled him out, and he snuggled into my arms. He's gone home with Danielle, who doesn't have a Hekitty at home, and I sent a baggie full of enough food for tonight and tomorrow. She'll let him back out when the storm has passed, but BOY was that little one happy to be held in someone's arms!

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I have George, Patty and their 5 youngsters here. Cutest things. (Oh they're my raccoons). And they sure know my cams. If one of the youngsters knocks a cam over Patty comes back to set it back up right. And they just love giving me selfies all the time. I used to be scared of them but several of the mods here as well as a talk I had with my state conservation department set my mind at ease. I even rescued Harrison (more than once) from the pet carrier as he thinks he's a cat. lol

View media item 423652
Kits like hanging out around the bricks. Good hiding spots.

View media item 423696
And here are two youngsters trying to figure out how to play with the cat toy. Watch closely by the chair. Although you can't see him from this cam Treasure was seen watching them with great amusement (if cats are amused that is)

View media item 423685

Last edited:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Just came back from voting and found out that we now have skunks here in the suburbs and our suburbs to be precise. I figured we'd get more wildlife and was expecting the elephants and giraffes to show up. While skunks are cute I, like everyone else I'm sure, doesn't like the smell. I thought there were skunks as my car smells like skunk.

They also said there are coyote in the area but if that was true why aren't they attacking my cats? Is it because of all the food left out at the various colonies and food easily available?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.