The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Well Treasure and Sopdet are back. Sopdet almost got hit by a flying fireworks though and one of the baby raccoons did although he/she seems ok. These are a few reason why I wish there was more supervision on these fireworks as a lot of people (not all) are not responsible. Someone could get seriously hurt.

Anyway going round and round with Apple again. Why can't they just honor the features that they advertise? I guess to make a buck. Ugh and I have a ton of things to do today.

They treat me like I"m an idiot. Not to get into ageism but some people need to realize that not all of us grew up with this stuff.
And I have some idiot in CS Apple that doesn't know the difference between a photo and a video :(

Once again I"m so sorry I bought this thing. I've had nothing but problems with Apple products for 10 years. You'd think I'd learn. Obviously not.

Apple doesn't even make an attempt to return a call to you. They just send email thanks for contacting us. If you need further help let us know. And our store is closed here right now so I don't know. Never have I been so frustrated. Sometimes they just hang up on you. Ugh

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Selene is terrified of them. All I can do is try to comfort her
Have you tried calming products? There are a lot on the market - one that works for Poppycat is called Just Relax, from Only Natural Pet. It's catnip essential oil, and he's very stressed by the big mortar fireworks being set off just a couple houses away, which means it's so close that we're getting a triple-whammy of the thump when it exits the tube, the extremely loud bang in the air, and then the sizzle when the color chemicals are ignited. In any case, I wasn't holding out any hope but this product made him sleepy and quite a lot calmer. It's too late for your baby for this year but maybe something to consider for next. It's not ingested or sprayed on him, just on cushions, carriers et al, or in my case on a washcloth that I placed near to him :)

In the meantime, you could try chamomile tea, from Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 ;
Buy commercial tea bags from your local grocery store's coffee/tea aisle. These are all GERMAN chamomile, which is medicinally active and safe for cats. The ENGLISH variety, which grows in many gardens, is useless, and TOXIC to cats. Buy plain chamomile, no blends (the boxes are clearly marked). Brew a cup, chill it, and administer 1-3 teaspoonfuls up to 3 times a day via syringe or medicine dropper. Chamomile tea is gently calming without being sedating, and may do the trick, or at least help.

Last edited:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot to mention one of the baby raccoons also almost got hit by these fireworks. I don't understand the need to go into the middle of the street and point to a neighbors house to shoot them off. When I was kid I did it in my own back yard, but then I'm so old we only had 2 types of fireworks.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I called the pet store 2 days ago to ask what their hours were for this weekend since it's a holiday weekend. I was told 8 to 4 on Saturday and 11 to 4 on Sunday. I went today at 10. Store was closed :gaah:I ended up going to a different pet store which didn't have the cats' raw food :gaah: So mad :mad2: I'm going to call tomorrow and see if they are open and put an order in for pick up. Otherwise, I'll call Monday. I have one bag of NV left and can reserve that for Emma (she won't eat anything else) and feed Leroy the frozen Primal (he'll eat anything).

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LTS3 LTS3 , I spotted this on Facebook the other day...It seems to fit:

1593913564158.png

But it is MADDENING when they say they will be open, and are not!

Hekitty is currently behind me in my chair. When I'm done here, I'll have to shift her to my lap, under the throw for the duration. The neighbors have gone nuts. AND it is thundering, at the same time!

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
The bushes my feral cats hide in caught on fire from the fireworks. Ugh. I’ll never see these cats again so I guess this is the end. I failed to protect them. I got no advice on how to care for ferals during this time. So sad it is over. I don’t even know if cats are still alive. I wish fireworks were banned. I never did like them. . 😢
It’s getting worse. I’m literally shaking. I’ve always Bern terrified of fireworks because of the damage I’ve seen caused by them. I’m scared for me and the cats. Mom doesn’t care one way or the other.

Last edited:

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
Trying to get as much school work done as possible before Saturday but this heat makes me sleepy. I came upstairs at 6pm to "rest" after helping my mom outside with something. I just got up and now it's 8pm.

We were trying to put the AC in but it was just too hot to do it. The fish tanks have been overheating in the living room because the temperature in here is close to 90°. Not sure what else to do.
Put some ice cubes in the take, that will hold them for a while, it will also kill any ich.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Capucchino does not react to fireworks at all, slept right thru them, even went outside after dark which she is not supposed to but that cat pokes her claws into the screen door and just slides it open. Unfortunately there is no lock on the screen door and no way to install one. Chamouti on the other hand dove under the bed at the first bang sometime this afternoon and I have not seen him since. He is afraid of any kind of sudden noise including when I sneeze and sometimes even if I just cough. Doorbells also send him under the bed, and don't even mention a man's voice, he hears that and you won't see him for hours. Who knows what causes that, he has been like that since I got him and that was just about 4 years ago, now he is 16. Poor thing has not been out from under the bed, not even to eat, when he does I'm sure he will be ravenous and needing to use the litter box.
This whole thing of fireworks is beyond me anyway. The only time we saw fireworks when I was young in Germany was when the city put on a big display which just went on and on and I have no idea what may have been the occasion. There were no fireworks that you could buy and set off yourself. On New Years some people who owned guns (very few) would shoot off some kind of colored projectiles that went up in the air and made a noise which was a kind of howling which I assume were some kind of firework but I have no idea from where they got them.

Same thing with parades. The only time we saw parades was when it was a religious parade, when some relic was being carried from one big cathedral to another about a mile on a wide city street, with priests in all their finery, nuns and monks carrying I know not what, a bishop or some high mucky-muck all done up in robes walking under a baldaquine, a sort of portable canopy with gold brocade and fringes, carrying a monstrance. This was a big church holiday, I don't remember what as I did not grow up in a religious home and to me this was just a lot of mumbo-jumbo but quite a pageantry to look at. That some people found it to be very serious and even holy was beyond me. There was singing but it all was very sad sounding.
The other time we saw a parade was when the American soldiers stationed in Germany put on a parade with trucks and tanks and flags which meant nothing to us, bands playing marches we did not know, soldiers in formation carrying guns and in best uniforms, again lots of pageantry which meant nothing to us but was interesting to look at. So all this showing of flags, fireworks and parades is beyond me although I have been here for decades.
To me this is not patriotism but just a show like they do in Russia, North Korea and I think in China to show off their weaponry. Patriotism to me is not something you show but something you feel. But to each his/her own.

I do not fly any kind of flag although I do have a small windsock with German colors next to my patio door on the inside, for my pleasure only. It waves in the breeze when the patio door is open. I do not need to show off to others. Anyone who comes to my home will know I am German because I have a genuine cuckoo clock on my wall and a few small pictures with scenes from Germany besides some really nice picture books displayed on the coffee table. Otherwise my decor is spartan Chinese with blue and white ceramics, a black lacquered chest with flowers and birds painted on the sides and front, and a framed birthday card made out to some official of Chiang Kai-Shek I found in a thrift shop (you never know at you can find in a place like that). It has calligraphy on it and some birds on a pine branch which mean long life and good fortune. I liked the look of it and had a Chinese friend translate what the calligraphy said and he told me what it said and who it was made out to. I had asked 2 other Chinese friends but neither could read it as it is in the old Chinese script which they had not been taught although they had grown up in Shanghai and Hongkong, the new script is more simplified. Those Chinese who grew up in the US hardly ever write any Chinese script although many of them can read the new script. I did not know that although it is hardly surprising, how many third generation immigrants, no matter where they are from, speak the language of their grandparents, much less read or write it? My own children don't.
It is after midnight now and there is no more noise of any kind, I guess the fools who were shooting off fireworks, which is illegal here because of the fire dangers, have gone to bed, I guess I will too.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
The "kids" in my neighbourhood buy fireworks for the sole purpose of shooting it at each other. For as long as I can remember, this has been a common practise in my area.

And I put "kids" in quotation marks because there are grown people doing this too sometimes. Hmm... must be fun to get shot at. I'm missing out on life... obviously joking.

Do fireworks not cause any kind of pollution or environmental damage? Why are we still using them? I don't even find them all that pretty to look at. Never really have.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Well here I go again with Apple. I cannot understand for such an incompetent company how they stay in business. I need this app to work so I can make money and stay alive and now their support is down. Seriously? It's the 5th not the 4th. I've been going round and round with them for weeks. They refuse to fix a problem that is on their end and I'm not getting help otherwise on this issue. On the old IOS and iphone I could delete an app and start over if need be (like I put in wrong info) but on this new IOS and iphone the data does not erase. What a mess this is and I'm out $20 of my earning money as a result of this mess. So I am being forced to delete everything from the new iPhone restore to factory condition and see if I can migrate the apps from the 6S to the 11 Pro. I am kicking myself for purchasing this iphone. Not to mention the store by me is closed because of the looting last month and lots of damages. They won't call me back like they promise. This has got to be the worst company that ever existed :(

This is a nightmare

Ugh I didn't have bluetooth on. And the advisor did not know this? I have never dealt with such stupid people before in my life like I have these people. And I have tons of things to do around here today and messing with this not to mention the new screen times out and I have to start all over. :(

Last edited:

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As soon as I turned off the lights last night and went to bed here comes Chamouti and cuddles with me, purring his little head off. Couldn't get close enough to me. By morning all his food was gone and the litter box had certainly been used, he must have been saving it all up until he thought it was safe to come out from under the bed.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Eyes are watery and burning, head is throbbing. Normal migraine headache from going round and round and round with Apple. Treasure and Sopdet only cats returned, but neighbors brother is cutting grass so no cat will be here for awhile. Anyway, laying down a bit before my neighbors decide they have extra fireworks that NEEDS to be shot off tonight. I only got 2 hours of sleep last night due to the noise and the fact that I'm more terrified of fireworks then a typical cat is.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm wishing the fireworks would stop. The noise makes me anxious for some reason. I think Lola can sense my anxiety. She's being extra cuddly. Thankfully, the fireworks don't seem to be bothering her.
I can relate to to anxiety over hearing fireworks and wish they would stop, too. There have been multiple nights this week they have been set off around here. Luckily, my kitties don't seem bothered either, although there was no large firework display with very loud booms because the city did not put on a show this year to prevent large gatherings of people.

How are you after last night?

The bushes my feral cats hide in caught on fire from the fireworks. Ugh. I’ll never see these cats again so I guess this is the end. I failed to protect them. I got no advice on how to care for ferals during this time. So sad it is over. I don’t even know if cats are still alive. I wish fireworks were banned. I never did like them. . 😢
It’s getting worse. I’m literally shaking. I’ve always Bern terrified of fireworks because of the damage I’ve seen caused by them. I’m scared for me and the cats. Mom doesn’t care one way or the other.
Fireworks are banned here (for normal people use), but people drive into Wisconsin and bring them back to set off here. :( I get scared, too. It is a fear of mine that a firework would hit the house or something. Many people go to the park behind my house to set them off.

How was the rest of your night?

Capucchino does not react to fireworks at all, slept right thru them, even went outside after dark which she is not supposed to but that cat pokes her claws into the screen door and just slides it open. Unfortunately there is no lock on the screen door and no way to install one. Chamouti on the other hand dove under the bed at the first bang sometime this afternoon and I have not seen him since. He is afraid of any kind of sudden noise including when I sneeze and sometimes even if I just cough. Doorbells also send him under the bed, and don't even mention a man's voice, he hears that and you won't see him for hours. Who knows what causes that, he has been like that since I got him and that was just about 4 years ago, now he is 16. Poor thing has not been out from under the bed, not even to eat, when he does I'm sure he will be ravenous and needing to use the litter box.
This whole thing of fireworks is beyond me anyway. The only time we saw fireworks when I was young in Germany was when the city put on a big display which just went on and on and I have no idea what may have been the occasion. There were no fireworks that you could buy and set off yourself. On New Years some people who owned guns (very few) would shoot off some kind of colored projectiles that went up in the air and made a noise which was a kind of howling which I assume were some kind of firework but I have no idea from where they got them.

Same thing with parades. The only time we saw parades was when it was a religious parade, when some relic was being carried from one big cathedral to another about a mile on a wide city street, with priests in all their finery, nuns and monks carrying I know not what, a bishop or some high mucky-muck all done up in robes walking under a baldaquine, a sort of portable canopy with gold brocade and fringes, carrying a monstrance. This was a big church holiday, I don't remember what as I did not grow up in a religious home and to me this was just a lot of mumbo-jumbo but quite a pageantry to look at. That some people found it to be very serious and even holy was beyond me. There was singing but it all was very sad sounding.
The other time we saw a parade was when the American soldiers stationed in Germany put on a parade with trucks and tanks and flags which meant nothing to us, bands playing marches we did not know, soldiers in formation carrying guns and in best uniforms, again lots of pageantry which meant nothing to us but was interesting to look at. So all this showing of flags, fireworks and parades is beyond me although I have been here for decades.
To me this is not patriotism but just a show like they do in Russia, North Korea and I think in China to show off their weaponry. Patriotism to me is not something you show but something you feel. But to each his/her own.

I do not fly any kind of flag although I do have a small windsock with German colors next to my patio door on the inside, for my pleasure only. It waves in the breeze when the patio door is open. I do not need to show off to others. Anyone who comes to my home will know I am German because I have a genuine cuckoo clock on my wall and a few small pictures with scenes from Germany besides some really nice picture books displayed on the coffee table. Otherwise my decor is spartan Chinese with blue and white ceramics, a black lacquered chest with flowers and birds painted on the sides and front, and a framed birthday card made out to some official of Chiang Kai-Shek I found in a thrift shop (you never know at you can find in a place like that). It has calligraphy on it and some birds on a pine branch which mean long life and good fortune. I liked the look of it and had a Chinese friend translate what the calligraphy said and he told me what it said and who it was made out to. I had asked 2 other Chinese friends but neither could read it as it is in the old Chinese script which they had not been taught although they had grown up in Shanghai and Hongkong, the new script is more simplified. Those Chinese who grew up in the US hardly ever write any Chinese script although many of them can read the new script. I did not know that although it is hardly surprising, how many third generation immigrants, no matter where they are from, speak the language of their grandparents, much less read or write it? My own children don't.
It is after midnight now and there is no more noise of any kind, I guess the fools who were shooting off fireworks, which is illegal here because of the fire dangers, have gone to bed, I guess I will too.
Firework displays and parades are very wasteful and normally just a one time show. It is interesting hearing these are not standard in other areas. It feels like in the US we are taught to consume, consume, consume.

How was your night? The fireworks stopped about 10:30 for me.

The "kids" in my neighbourhood buy fireworks for the sole purpose of shooting it at each other. For as long as I can remember, this has been a common practise in my area.

And I put "kids" in quotation marks because there are grown people doing this too sometimes. Hmm... must be fun to get shot at. I'm missing out on life... obviously joking.
Shoot them at each other?? What type of fireworks do they use? Those people sound very special...

It was about junior high or high school I was at a large show with relatives in another state. Looking up at the sky, it was evident each time a flash illuminated the sky the massive amounts of smoke clinging in the air and drifting slowly away. It saddened and frustrated me. How can people look up look up to see beauty in them but be ignorant about the amount of pollution the shows created? Why was everyone so happy and enjoying themselves, yet here I am overwhelmed that so much pollution is being put into the air for the sole purpose to just look pretty?

There has been an air quality alert all weekend, even without the fireworks, and people were asked to limit their pollution input. Obviously, the people doing fire works don't care or are not educated about the pollution effects.

Well here I go again with Apple. I cannot understand for such an incompetent company how they stay in business. I need this app to work so I can make money and stay alive and now their support is down. Seriously? It's the 5th not the 4th. I've been going round and round with them for weeks. They refuse to fix a problem that is on their end and I'm not getting help otherwise on this issue. On the old IOS and iphone I could delete an app and start over if need be (like I put in wrong info) but on this new IOS and iphone the data does not erase. What a mess this is and I'm out $20 of my earning money as a result of this mess. So I am being forced to delete everything from the new iPhone restore to factory condition and see if I can migrate the apps from the 6S to the 11 Pro. I am kicking myself for purchasing this iphone. Not to mention the store by me is closed because of the looting last month and lots of damages. They won't call me back like they promise. This has got to be the worst company that ever existed :(

This is a nightmare

Ugh I didn't have bluetooth on. And the advisor did not know this? I have never dealt with such stupid people before in my life like I have these people. And I have tons of things to do around here today and messing with this not to mention the new screen times out and I have to start all over. :(
This situation is very frustrating. Hope you are able to get help for this soon.

As soon as I turned off the lights last night and went to bed here comes Chamouti and cuddles with me, purring his little head off. Couldn't get close enough to me. By morning all his food was gone and the litter box had certainly been used, he must have been saving it all up until he thought it was safe to come out from under the bed.
Aw, how is Chamouti this morning?

Lola3791

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can relate to to anxiety over hearing fireworks and wish they would stop, too. There have been multiple nights this week they have been set off around here. Luckily, my kitties don't seem bothered either, although there was no large firework display with very loud booms because the city did not put on a show this year to prevent large gatherings of people.

How are you after last night?
I'm good, thanks for asking.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
The fireworks stopped at 3am. I get up at 6am because of the online jobs I do so I only got 3 hours of sleep, off and on. The one thing I despise about fireworks like this is that it shakes the earth and all the disgusting cockroaches come running inside the house. I hate those things, for some reason. I'm talking the big black ones that are also called water bugs. Same thing happened last year. So I didn't get much sleep for 2 days as they were going the night before as well. Cats are eating now, but of course Sopdet thought Id like to taste her tail lol

Got my new iphone set up. The old one I'll use to beta test new software, that way I can have an input and say about the software. I won't be using that phone for anything else anyway now so may as well use to beta test the upcoming IOS, huh?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
But to each his/her own.
normally just a one time show.
... I wish I could know that I'm providing information to offset/deny being painted as a heavy-duty consumer although I'm very happy to be painted as a patriot. When I was a kid I understood that the original intent of celebrating Independence Day was to celebrate Independence Day, and I loved parades, still do, and appreciate that they are a delightful and charming way of bringing communities together :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.