The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A few people showed up to our weekly Zoom get together last night. The person who had the trivia questions last time but didn't show up apologized and acknowledged it was rude of her to not text me to let me know she wasn't feeling well and wouldn't be able to attend. I could tell she genuinely mean it. We didn't actually do trivia last night :rolleyes: The conversation was all over the place and I had to mute people when things got too heated. Next time I'll put them in the waiting room as virtual "time out".

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Isabelle has a vet appointment scheduled for Monday. I want to get her checked out because she seems more sensitive along her spine near her tail when I pet her there and her spine can be felt a little on the sides, but she hasn't lost any weight. I will also inquire about how much it is to get her shaved. Depending on the price and cost of other tests she may need, I may continue to shave them out myself or get her shaved. I'm a nervous mama, but glad I made an appointment.

AngelicGarrison

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Who is the darling baby in your profile pic? Sooo adorable!!!💖
That's our new baby Raziel! We'll get him in August. He's 3 weeks old today. I'm so very excited to have a new little baby soon.

A few people showed up to our weekly Zoom get together last night. The person who had the trivia questions last time but didn't show up apologized and acknowledged it was rude of her to not text me to let me know she wasn't feeling well and wouldn't be able to attend. I could tell she genuinely mean it. We didn't actually do trivia last night :rolleyes: The conversation was all over the place and I had to mute people when things got too heated. Next time I'll put them in the waiting room as virtual "time out".
Oh no. That sounds like a mess. I think the waiting room as a time out is a good idea. We have a weekly knitting group zoom and a few weeks ago the creator of the group got heated with a member and it was so awkward to see everyone try to continue talking after they 'stepped out'

Isabelle has a vet appointment scheduled for Monday. I want to get her checked out because she seems more sensitive along her spine near her tail when I pet her there and her spine can be felt a little on the sides, but she hasn't lost any weight. I will also inquire about how much it is to get her shaved. Depending on the price and cost of other tests she may need, I may continue to shave them out myself or get her shaved. I'm a nervous mama, but glad I made an appointment.
Poor Isabelle! I hope she'll be okay! I'm glad you made the appointment too and I think most of us get nervous when things go wrong with our kitties.

Yesterday we got the cat flap put on the front door as my dad built a catio that is cat and bug proof. It's also for me to go sit. And we've been trying to teach the kitties how to go in and out of the cat door. It's not going well. Only Azrael has figured it out haha. Lilah seems like she'll get it before long. But I'm not sure about the others. We might be resigned to holding the flap open for them for a long while haha

Today is going to be a soap making day and writing day. I got a new soap mold and really want to give it a go.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've never met a mother who isn't! And that paranoia never seems to go away, no matter how many kids you have. I think the extra sleep I'm going to get alone is worth the money spent!
Anything for extra sleep! I felt sleep obsessed for a while there. They didn’t have the owlet when my kids were babies but i got a good video monitor before DS came. I could see him breathing on it. It had a light bar too to tell me how loud the sound was in his room. Our first monitor would make so much static and just the sound of DD rolling would be a loud crackle sometimes. I’d jump at ever sound. Meanwhile my DH slept with ear plugs in. :angrywoman: He seriously doesn’t function sleep deprived. He would take the monitor when he got up though so I slept deeply for a couple hours every night. It’s different when you know someone else is in charge!

My cousin’s first had a lot of respiratory infections as a baby and spent some time in the hospital because of it. The owlet is soooo helpful for her babies. Her second hasn’t been sick as often. Probably because daycares have been closed.

AngelicGarrison

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Anything for extra sleep! I felt sleep obsessed for a while there. They didn’t have the owlet when my kids were babies but i got a good video monitor before DS came. I could see him breathing on it. It had a light bar too to tell me how loud the sound was in his room. Our first monitor would make so much static and just the sound of DD rolling would be a loud crackle sometimes. I’d jump at ever sound. Meanwhile my DH slept with ear plugs in. :angrywoman: He seriously doesn’t function sleep deprived. He would take the monitor when he got up though so I slept deeply for a couple hours every night. It’s different when you know someone else is in charge!

My cousin’s first had a lot of respiratory infections as a baby and spent some time in the hospital because of it. The owlet is soooo helpful for her babies. Her second hasn’t been sick as often. Probably because daycares have been closed.
My first kiddo I worried about obsessively. There weren't things like Owlet then. But my second kid ended up with pretty severe sleep apnea and would turn blue so she ended up on an actual apnea monitor and it was amazing how much more relaxed I was after she got that monitor. Sure if it went off I was a ball of anxiety. But I slept better knowing it was there if she stopped breathing.

She's a teen now and still uses a CPAP machine for her sleep apnea. My oldest is still doing cool with all that. I really wish there'd been Owlet when they were kids. I admit I still check on them sometimes if I can't see they are breathing from afar (I check on my cats too lol)

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don’t think my mother ever stopped checking on me. I just used the monitor to peek in before I went to sleep once they were older and I didn’t need it all night. I don’t often now unless someone has been running a fever.

I just have a hard time even playing Tooth Fairy. :lol: My DD would wake if the floor in the hallway creaked. Its a pretty loud creak-pop sometimes and it echos up an air return on one side. 😣 It drove me bananas. I learned how to walk down the hall in 4 exactly placed steps. Then I’d pause outside her door and listen for squeaks. 🤪 DS was much better at resettling. Even now when he does wake up during Tooth Fairy runs he doesn’t always remember it. I’ve started having him hang his Tooth Fairy pillow on his door instead. It helps me not forget!

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I was a bit reluctant to pay the price for run-flat tires when I bought my car, but they were already on it so I just went ahead. I am now a total convert.

I was on my way home and hit a pothole the size and depth of the Grand Canyon with my front left tire. I was going the speed limit (I can’t remember if it was 35 or 45 mph, but whatever it was, that’s what I was doing), but it was such a blow that it felt like I’d run into a wall. I’m surprised the airbags didn’t deploy. The tire warning light came on instantly and the thing flashed a “pull over and stop immediately” message. Very scary.

There wasn’t a way to pull out of the road so I drove reeeeeeally sloooooowwwly about a mile to a shopping center parking lot. The wheel was making very unhappy clunking sounds. I parked, hopped out, and discovered that my tire was completely split and the rim was almost on the ground. I called AAA and had it towed to the dealership where I bought it.

According to the service guy, the only thing that saved the actual wheel itself—and very likely an accident—was the run-flat tire. Even the rim escaped with just a minor scrape. So it was upsetting, but it could have been so much worse than the $322 I had to pay for a new tire. Closest I’ve ever come to a wreck. 😅

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was a bit reluctant to pay the price for run-flat tires when I bought my car, but they were already on it so I just went ahead. I am now a total convert.

I was on my way home and hit a pothole the size and depth of the Grand Canyon with my front left tire. I was going the speed limit (I can’t remember if it was 35 or 45 mph, but whatever it was, that’s what I was doing), but it was such a blow that it felt like I’d run into a wall. I’m surprised the airbags didn’t deploy. The tire warning light came on instantly and the thing flashed a “pull over and stop immediately” message. Very scary.

There wasn’t a way to pull out of the road so I drove reeeeeeally sloooooowwwly about a mile to a shopping center parking lot. The wheel was making very unhappy clunking sounds. I parked, hopped out, and discovered that my tire was completely split and the rim was almost on the ground. I called AAA and had it towed to the dealership where I bought it.

According to the service guy, the only thing that saved the actual wheel itself—and very likely an accident—was the run-flat tire. Even the rim escaped with just a minor scrape. So it was upsetting, but it could have been so much worse than the $322 I had to pay for a new tire. Closest I’ve ever come to a wreck. 😅
Wow, glad you are okay!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yikes, that's scary! Glad you're ok.

I've never blown a tire, but I was once behind a small SUV that had a blowout on the interstate, and they managed to keep control of it admirably and pull over safely. I hope if it ever happens to me I can do that. Usually blowing a tire while going 80 doesn't turn out so great.

AngelicGarrison

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

That's terrifying. We always get run flat tires. We've seen some weird things on the roads here. The weirdest though was a guy coming down one of the local huge hills and his entire tired just comes off the truck and rolls across the road and this dude flips because he was going 50 and now is without a tire. He was ok! He got out of the truck and was like 'that's the damnest thing I've ever seen' and we're like We've never seen such a thing either!!

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you. The car wasn’t wrecked, but I kinda was.
Totally understandable. I've never blown a tire, but someone rear-ended me in stop and go traffic on the highway. I saw the person in my rear view coming fast, and it felt like they hit my car so hard. I couldn't believe there was just a tiny scratch on my trunk because a large SUV hit me! The next month or two while driving on the highway (which was 5 days a week as I had an internship I traveled 30 min. on the highway to get to) if I saw a car that seemed to approach me too fast in the rear view I'd freak out... one time I found myself swearing at them and honking my horn, haha... The people around me probably thought I was crazy! Like why is she honking, who is she honking at?? My heart would skip a beat, my body tensed, and I found myself holding my breathe during these moments. My body went straight to fight or flight it seemed like. Luckily, it stopped happening after a couple months.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yep. I'm still here, I just haven't had a lot to say lately. When you live with a cat, there are very few scintillating conversations to report. Well, actually, there are, but if you report them, next thing you know DFS (Department of Family Services) is at your door to assess your mental state. Which is, admittedly, iffy on a good day, but I keep telling people that being a bit crazy is the only sane response to today's society! AND STOP LAUGHING AT "a bit!" Geez.

My new closet organizing stuff arrived yesterday, so as of tomorrow, I will be MIA until I get everything put together, installed, and the pantry in some kind of order! I kept re-buying things because I can't tell what I have. I'm kinda looking forward to it, and kinda dreading it.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Tobermory Tobermory Oh my, how scary!! So glad you're okay! Are you sore today?
W WillowMarie I'm sure Isabelle will be ok. I've been cutting Medium Cal's
hair for about 2 weeks but it grows sooo quickly!! I think her MaineCoonness
DNA wants her to have long, thick hair but she is so much more comfortable
with it short, I feel like I'm cutting it daily but she doesn't mind unless her leg
hair is being cut.I've received about 10 scratches and one bite since this began, hee, hee
MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles I guess moms will always worry about their babies, no matter how old they are
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 Good luck with your project, sounds like something I need.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
W WillowMarie I'm sure Isabelle will be ok. I've been cutting Medium Cal's
hair for about 2 weeks but it grows sooo quickly!! I think her MaineCoonness
DNA wants her to have long, thick hair but she is so much more comfortable
with it short, I feel like I'm cutting it daily but she doesn't mind unless her leg
hair is being cut.I've received about 10 scratches and one bite since this began, hee, hee

Glad Cal doesn't mind. That makes it so much easier and less stressful! I used to cut knots out, but my vet talked me out of doing it because she had seen people cut skin that needed stitches. Never happened to me, but now it makes me so nervous! Although, trimming hair with scissors is easier without knots, like how you may be trimming. Glad Cal seems to be enjoying less hair during the summer <3

Tried going to the farmers market this morning. Last week was fine, but walking up to the entrance 1 person was not wearing a mask and another had pulled her mask down while talking, which was 2/5 of the staff members at the informational table at the entrance. Grrrrr. My mom and I left. I felt guilty because I know my mom made a list of things she needed for a recipe and was looking forward to buying, but I didn't want her going in. First, why support the market if they are not following their own rules they ask of attendees, and second, how many attendees will see that and refuse to wear a mask because they saw staff not wearing it? I'm very disappointed and frustrated about that. My mom did say not to feel bad about it, and that she was glad I was there to talk her out of going in because if people weren't wearing mask, she shouldn't take the risk either. Welp, guess the Walmart order is being done sooner than later. On the plus side all my junk food was almost gone, so I was able to order some more goodies: chocolate chip ice cream, Hershey's bar with toffee pieces, and chocolate chip cookie dough. I'm getting real good at gaining weight. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.