The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Succulents are my friends though. Even leaving them in a dark box with no water and sunlight for 3 months some survived, haha. Much easier to care for! Those are the plants I'm looking to grow in my collection.
We did succulents as our wedding favors. With the extras that came the package I ordered and the ones we took home from the reception we have about 8 minis in these cute little jars.

And my husband is 100% responsible for keeping them alive.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
My income is too high for a housing voucher and just about all the lists are full anyway with a waiting list as much as two years. Although I have been paying quite a bit more than 1/3 of my income in just rent it is still considered to be "too high" an income for housing assistance. SoCal is just sooo expensive and the rest of California is too. I live in a duplex right now but my landlady lives in NorCal and only owns half of the building, the other half is rented out also but has a different owner. There is an HOA that makes sure the neighborhood stays decent although just half a mile down the road I would not live because of what is there: dilapidated houses, 10 cars parked every which way, dirt road, thank goodness there is wide open space between here and there with rabbits and coyotes living there in the brush. I am also used to certain amenities that I am not willing to go without, nothing fancy, just nice. If I could transfer the duplex where I live now to a place with better weather and a lower altitude I would be perfectly happy. A 45 year old duplex with 2 bedrooms, a small yard where I can grow veggies, a patio for BBQing and hanging out and some flower pots (this patio is large but all concrete, hardly anyone has lawns because it is so dry here and everything is xeriscaped) and hummingbird feeders, a real garage so my car's paint won't be eaten by the sun and where I can store stuff including extra groceries (I hater shopping so always buy the big packages and then repackage them in vacuum bags.) In SoCal that would run at least $2500 and then the neighborhood would be iffy. That is just much more than I could afford no matter how thrifty I am. I could possibly find some place way out in the sticks but at my age that is not practical with medical issues creeping up and one day not being able to drive anymore and no public transportation. At least for right now I am stuck but without the hope that this will not always be so I would just curl up my toes and die. So I trooper on.
What I meant was find someone who has a housing voucher to share a house. That way their rent is assured.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
W WillowMarie I couldn't grow anything until I was past 40, even ivy died. Now I am an accomplished gardener and I will try anything. There are still things that for some reason just won't grow for me but those are few, I still keep trying, hoping that one day I will find the magic formula. This year is particularly trying because of the altitude, the late spring and thus a short growing season when I am used to having two growing seasons and gardening year round. My corn is only 6 inches high and I will absolutely have no fresh corn for the 4th of July, more like Labor Day! Same goes for everything else: tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers. Only the lettuce is doing well and I will probably be able to harvest some a week or two from now.
My lettuce just sprouted, although I'm still waiting on my other veggie seeds to sprout. What type of lettuce are you growing? Mine is butterhead/butter crunch and I also have some swiss chard.

That is more challenging with a shorter season. I also may be starting late myself, but still very excited to watch things grow. Plus, I'll have some seeds left over for next year, so I'll be all set to start earlier next time. Feel free to share updates on your garden!

We did succulents as our wedding favors. With the extras that came the package I ordered and the ones we took home from the reception we have about 8 minis in these cute little jars.

And my husband is 100% responsible for keeping them alive.
Nice! Have any pictures?? I'd love to see what kinds you have!

Do the jars have drainage holes?

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Wondering why Harrison wasn't hungry last night. That's an oddity for him. Plus he didn't knock over the food bowl and cam. Another oddity.
MoonstoneWolf MoonstoneWolf I used to clip my Father's toenails. He did not like them as short as most of the Family members. So even though 2 other family members told me "why don't you go shorter?" I soaked the feet in massage foot bath first because I buy him this and he loves this massage/clean feet (also make toenails softer to cut immediately after). I tell 2 other family members that HE likes them longer than we do. Probably more ingrown toenails. He never let anybody but me do this task for him and I was so lucky and happy I could do this for Him to His desires. I miss him a whole lot. He is in Heaven with my Mother because she Loved Him so much She could not live without him. Her passing was only about 1 month after His. I hope this helps you with your Dear Mother. ❤:silver:🌺
I'm just now seeing this. Mom throws fits about this and no matter what I do. She then stops and screams for me to go away. Then a few days later she's complaining how I never cut her toenails. She refuses to let me soak her feet as she implies "You think I don't wash well in the shower? Is that what you're implying?" She's a very difficult woman if you have read my other posts. I even suggested the lotion route and she throws fits. Meanwhile I'm here with 2 bum knees and severe nerve damage in both hands and have to find what works for both of us. I can't clip my own nails sometimes as a result. And Mom has 2 artificial hips and 2 artificial knees coupled with arthritis so lifting her feet or her laying down does no good for her and sends her to horrible pain. Ugh

BTW: Sorry to the moderator who had to correct my mistake on this post.

Ok I got her nails. Using lotion helped and this time she didn't complain.

Last edited:

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just took some. Idk what kind they are - I had ordered a variety off etsy (I think) and my husband just bought the jars for ours. Our guests got them in the plastic containers they came in.

View attachment 336056View attachment 336057View attachment 336058View attachment 336059
Nice! Really like the one you showed the drainage hole of. Really unique leaves. The containers are super cute, too! Drainage holes are super important for succulents. Glad you have some. Wasn't sure when you said jars if they were glass jars. :)

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
What I meant was find someone who has a housing voucher to share a house. That way their rent is assured.
AS far as I know that is not allowed. The income of all the people living in the residence is counted and that would certainly put me and a roommate over the top. Once upon a long time ago, like 30 years, when I was unemployed or underemployed and my partner was on SSI both of our income was counted and we did get subsidized housing. It took several years for me to dig myself out of that income hole and he died shortly thereafter. By then I could afford a nice place of my own. Perhaps rules have changed regarding vouchers and subsidized housing but I imagine that under Trump rules would have been made even tighter than before.
Also, by now I have lived many years on my own and am not sure I would be willing or able to having another person around all the time. People, including me, get set in their ways.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
My lettuce just sprouted, although I'm still waiting on my other veggie seeds to sprout. What type of lettuce are you growing? Mine is butterhead/butter crunch and I also have some swiss chard.

red leaf lettuce, I wanted green leaf or butter lettuce but could not find any. I got tiny plants from the nursery, same with the tomatoes and peppers, but 2 different kinds of radishes and the corn are from seeds. Unless you start your seeds way back in December they won't be ready for transplanting once it finally gets warm enough here. There is still snow on top of the mountains around here and I have been told we might still get a storm which will bring snow. I do have a big tarp I can put on the garden beds to keep the worst from happening and I do watch the local weather reports.

That is more challenging with a shorter season. I also may be starting late myself, but still very excited to watch things grow. Plus, I'll have some seeds left over for next year, so I'll be all set to start earlier next time. Feel free to share updates on your garden!

Nice! Have any pictures?? I'd love to see what kinds you have!

Do the jars have drainage holes?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What's on my mind is that Silas passed away. I still cannot believe it. I feel like taking the aquarium down and selling everything.
View attachment 336089
Aw, that's sad :hugs:.

One thing to remember in betta keeping is that store-bought bettas are often older (prettier fins sell better, etc.) and have gone through a lot, so they sometimes don't live as long as they should, no matter how great your tank is. Plus, anything you give them is better than ending up in a tiny dirty unheated bowl on a kid's dresser.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just took some. Idk what kind they are - I had ordered a variety off etsy (I think) and my husband just bought the jars for ours. Our guests got them in the plastic containers they came in.

The plant on the left in the first picture is an Echeveria.

The two in the last picture look like jade plants.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
AS far as I know that is not allowed. The income of all the people living in the residence is counted and that would certainly put me and a roommate over the top. Once upon a long time ago, like 30 years, when I was unemployed or underemployed and my partner was on SSI both of our income was counted and we did get subsidized housing. It took several years for me to dig myself out of that income hole and he died shortly thereafter. By then I could afford a nice place of my own. Perhaps rules have changed regarding vouchers and subsidized housing but I imagine that under Trump rules would have been made even tighter than before.
Also, by now I have lived many years on my own and am not sure I would be willing or able to having another person around all the time. People, including me, get set in their ways.
So true.💖

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
What's on my mind is that Silas passed away. I still cannot believe it. I feel like taking the aquarium down and selling everything.
View attachment 336089
I am so very sorry, Rest in Peace, Sweet Silas.:rbheart: What a beautiful he was! I bet he would want you to get a Silas Jr,:hugs:

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard from several people that Facebook is muting people and closing their accounts
for thirty days afer posting curse words and political statements. Do you know if this is true?

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know. I have a cousin that has used tons of curse words and posted political stuff and he's still going strong on there. I think Facebook picks and chooses who to ban and not ban. I've seen fake Facebook accounts too (Bob Newbie, Cassandra Goth) for those who played the Sims that Facebook does nothing about.

Maybe too they just haven't got around to everyone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.