The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no idea what to do about Treasure. My ankles and feet are swollen because of the non stop rain and dampness here aggravating my 30 year old injuries. I can barely walk. Yet I go outside thinking he's in pain from that injury the other day. And he's getting into one fight after another with the enemy cats. It never ends with him. He's actually worse than my Mom and his injury from the other day has not healed. Is he trying to get himself killed? ugh Now I may have to schedule a doctor when I have no money, no insurance and our free clinics here are closed Double ugh

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
I've had a lot on my mind lately. To be honest I'm having a hard time being stuck in Texas. I'm making a good living and have a great job but the state itself isn't for me. In Dallas there is no nature just right in the middle of the flatlands. The food is really mediocre compared to the coasts and the people are very into following the lifescript. I was planning on unhappily settling down here until I retired sorta early but this pandemic has me wondering if I should really settle for quite a bit less than I want. It's also been hard being far from my family in Los Angeles. My friends are there too. But good news is if something is wrong I eventually end up doing something about it. So it's not all bad. I think I want to start looking for a remote job in about a year from now. With a remote job I can go live wherever. I'm pretty keen on going to Vegas for a bit. Supposed to get promoted next year so I want to wait and collect on what I've been working hard for and deserve. So yeah I've been sad lately but there is an upside. I can start planning and working towards what I want! Pretty exciting actually.
Yeah, I feel for you. I lived in Ft Worth way back in the 60s and I hated it then. Dallas being just 30 miles away wasn't an better although people thought it was the "Big City" with all that implied. I'm surprised that it hasn't gotten any more metropolitan but is still the same old same old. I escaped in 1971 and never looked back: people, attitudes, weather, food, culture, as far as I was concerned they were all awful or non-existent.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I checked Amazon but the cheapest used book is around $120. I can't afford it. Plus, my other 5 classes require textbooks as well. I'll have to apply for the COVID relief fund but I won't be able to get money for the next 2 weeks. Teachers are expecting me to have the textbook by next week. I don't understand this. Am I crazy or is this ridiculous?

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I checked Amazon but the cheapest used book is around $120. I can't afford it. Plus, my other 5 classes require textbooks as well. I'll have to apply for the COVID relief fund but I won't be able to get money for the next 2 weeks. Teachers are expecting me to have the textbook by next week. I don't understand this. Am I crazy or is this ridiculous?
That's ridiculous :( Just remembered at my community college there were some textbooks you could check out from the school library... I think some teachers donated them. Maybe contact them and see if they have any of the books? Also, haven't tried this, but can textbooks be interlibrary loaned? Are libraries open around you?

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some updates on my plant growth. Plus, some succulent cuttings arrived in the mail today!

Succulents cuttings, with some awesome colors on them:
20200520_183755.jpg

A lithop, or as I call them, little butts. Bought seeds and also came with a plant with roots:
20200520_144118.jpg

Mushrooms. They look so weird so far... all those little white/gray bumps are growth...? Supposed to be at least another week before ready to harvest. We'll see how they progress:
20200520_144151.jpg

Sprouts/microgreens are supposed to be ready to eat Friday and the few days after that. It has been cloudy the last few days, and wondering if the growth slowed because of that. We'll see!
20200520_144203.jpg

And lastly, a tomato seed that is starting to sprout. There should be a few seeds, but that is the only visible on so far, which is the fuzzy white thing closer to the top.
20200520_144228.jpg

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I feel for you. I lived in Ft Worth way back in the 60s and I hated it then. Dallas being just 30 miles away wasn't an better although people thought it was the "Big City" with all that implied. I'm surprised that it hasn't gotten any more metropolitan but is still the same old same old. I escaped in 1971 and never looked back: people, attitudes, weather, food, culture, as far as I was concerned they were all awful or non-existent.
Absolutely I always knew fort worth was out of the question for me for those reasons! Dallas is a big city and metropolitan but still behind the other big cities. Ideals are still relatively old fashioned in general. I think things like that will change with time but I want to enjoy good food and nature NOW. I really miss fresh seafood. Where did you end up moving to from Fort Worth?

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
is it possible to get in touch with the other people in your class? Odds are others are also feeling stung by the price tag and while it might not be the most convenient option, if someone has a scanner and is willing to upload them for you, you might share the cost of the book? Like, a group of you could go in on it together? Logistically challenging, I know, but desperate times.

College textbooks are such a racket, to be honest. The worst one for me was when a grad school lecturer had us buy HER ebook and then we didn't even use it. We literally just bought her book. wtf. I was lucky in undergrad that all of our textbooks were rented from the school. I loved getting the ones that were already highlighted and wrote in, especially the ones where the person was clearly not interested in the topic.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
is it possible to get in touch with the other people in your class? Odds are others are also feeling stung by the price tag and while it might not be the most convenient option, if someone has a scanner and is willing to upload them for you, you might share the cost of the book? Like, a group of you could go in on it together? Logistically challenging, I know, but desperate times.

College textbooks are such a racket, to be honest. The worst one for me was when a grad school lecturer had us buy HER ebook and then we didn't even use it. We literally just bought her book. ***. I was lucky in undergrad that all of our textbooks were rented from the school. I loved getting the ones that were already highlighted and wrote in, especially the ones where the person was clearly not interested in the topic.
They sure are. DD had a professor do that too. We got lucky for the most part too. Most books were available for rent through Amazon and if not, we did end up getting some from the UCF bookstore ( a Barnes & Noble :rolleyes2: ) but it wasn't too bad.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you have the title/ISBN number? We can help you search for it.

Last edited:

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have the title/ISDN number? We can help you search for it.
I'm only going to get these 3:
  • Gompertz, W. (2013). What are you looking at? ISBN 9780142180297
  • Culture and Psychology – Feb. 16 2016
    by David Matsumoto (Author), Linda Juang (Author) ISBN 9781305648951
  • Garofalo, Reebee with Rob Bowman. Rockin' Out. Canadian Edition.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Thinking about how my backyard is becoming more and more interesting. Just a bit ago I saw Treasure (injuries and all) playing the cat and groundhog version of hide and seek as well as tag. Yep I kid you not. Then Treasure and the two juvie groundhogs came and ate together. While I love wildlife what the heck? I can't afford to feed a bunch of raccons, two families of red foxes, possums, groundhogs, birds when I have these cats. And I seriously think Treasure is going to get seriously injured one day if he doesn't slow down.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
Absolutely I always knew fort worth was out of the question for me for those reasons! Dallas is a big city and metropolitan but still behind the other big cities. Ideals are still relatively old fashioned in general. I think things like that will change with time but I want to enjoy good food and nature NOW. I really miss fresh seafood. Where did you end up moving to from Fort Worth?
Southern California where I lived for 50 years before I could not afford it anymore. I don't like it here in Reno at all and now am looking for a place with lower altitude which is doing a number on me and not as severe weather. I do so miss SoCal and wish I could find a way to return there.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
An assignment has me frustrated. I'm supposed to write a one-page paper on the organizational structure of my local hospital. The assignment was clearly written before COVID, because we were originally supposed to take a tour of the hospital first. My professor has excused us from that part, so I thought I'd do the next best thing and try to get in touch with someone there for an interview. I was put in contact with one of the higher-ups, but after promising to help me, he's gone silent. My paper is due by Sunday night, but I have nothing. I did just let my professor know, so maybe she'll have some ideas.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
An assignment has me frustrated. I'm supposed to write a one-page paper on the organizational structure of my local hospital. The assignment was clearly written before COVID, because we were originally supposed to take a tour of the hospital first. My professor has excused us from that part, so I thought I'd do the next best thing and try to get in touch with someone there for an interview. I was put in contact with one of the higher-ups, but after promising to help me, he's gone silent. My paper is due by Sunday night, but I have nothing. I did just let my professor know, so maybe she'll have some ideas.
My professor never responded to me, so I just sent her a text. I still can't write this paper. The information I need isn't available online.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
My professor never responded to me, so I just sent her a text. I still can't write this paper. The information I need isn't available online.
Can you try to submit a quick run down on what you have been personally observing, from news reports, about how the Covid Virus is affecting the medical system? With an addendum that this is limited information due to the Virus and your lack of on-site observation?

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you try to submit a quick run down on what you have been personally observing, from news reports, about how the Covid Virus is affecting the medical system? With an addendum that this is limited information due to the Virus and your lack of on-site observation?
Honestly, there have been very few cases in my county, so the local hospital isn't exactly stressed.

I just got off the phone with my mother. Her advice, seeing that I've been a conscientious student up to this point, is to just forget about it until my professor answers. She's right-I've done everything in my power to try to get this done, and it's not my fault that no one is responding. I hate that I can't write the paper, but there's literally nothing I can do further.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My professor finally got back to me. She says I can choose another hospital. There are two major hospitals one county over-unfortunately, I STILL can't find any information on how they're organized.

:frustrated::frustrated::frustrated::frustrated::frustrated:

Status
Not open for further replies.