The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
SIGH...we will never go back to "normal." There will be a "new normal," and we'll get used to it. But it won't be like before. We now know how very vulnerable we are, and how badly those we trusted to help us can fail. But we will also know how resilient we are. And we will know how precious life is. Or, the smart ones will.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I may have another dental emergency, I'm not sure. One of my front teeth appears to have developed a hairline crack :bawling:
Is it one of your front teeth? I have a hairline crack in both of mine and apparently, it's normal? 🤷‍♀️

SIGH...we will never go back to "normal." There will be a "new normal," and we'll get used to it. But it won't be like before. We now know how very vulnerable we are, and how badly those we trusted to help us can fail. But we will also know how resilient we are. And we will know how precious life is. Or, the smart ones will.
I agree. All this is just a constant reminder to not stress over things that aren't a big deal because when you think about it, at the end of the day, it really doesn't matter. This is what I tell myself and remind myself constantly.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Doesn't someone here on TCS homeschool her kids? :think: I saw an article about an educational game that is now free to parents. It's 75% off (just $5!) for anyone who is bored and just wants a game to play and maybe learn a few things.
Yes I do! I know we have a few other that have mentioned it in the past; but I don't remember who they are off the top of my head. :paperbag:

What site is it? It's been interesting to see so many places offering free or discounted educational opportunities. I'm sue I'm not the only homeschooler appreciating that! :banana1: I was looking for a fractions game for DD the other day.

I'm also starting to hunt for next year's books. The pandemic isn't really affecting our school schedule and people are starting to sell their used books and things. I'm also looking at some computer based/online classes for DD next year. She is very independent with her work already. Most days she completes her math, handwriting and writing work before I get up. She wakes earlier and just gets to it. So why not let her do history and science online too? DS needs more attention so it might be good for everyone.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes I do! I know we have a few other that have mentioned it in the past; but I don't remember who they are off the top of my head. :paperbag:

What site is it? It's been interesting to see so many places offering free or discounted educational opportunities. I'm sue I'm not the only homeschooler appreciating that! :banana1: I was looking for a fractions game for DD the other day.

The article with the link to the game download is here:

It supposed to be sort of like the popular game Animal Crossing and you interact with your surroundings.

Here are some activities to do with bored kids:

Last edited:

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
On my mind... one of my instructors has become quite rude to us since we moved our classes to online.
We had to send in video presentation. At first, he said it was okay if we used smaller paper or just used what we have in general since most people got their papers from school. My paper supply is low so I drew all my concepts on one 11x17 sheet. I was careful to organize them neatly. He responded by telling me not to do that and use individual sheets but that makes no sense since it contradicts what he said previously.

Then, for our second presentation, he criticized my presenting skills and told me, "Be clear and get to the point." I was taken back by that comment. Since it's difficult to present well when I'm talking to a camera instead of a real person. Plus, I'm not great with presenting in general in person. I decided to email him after that and express my concern because not only was I put off by his attitude but he also dragged my design choices through the mud when I did my research before proceeding. Lo and behold, his response to my email wasn't any better and yet again, he was rude. Telling me that he doesn't know what research I've been doing but nothing I've done design wise makes sense and he doesn't understand the purpose of what I've chosen for my product.

He's not usually like this so I don't understand the sudden change in character. He even told my close friend that he doesn't think she is a good fit for the program because "her model making skills are poor". Something that takes time to develop.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, the storm chasers I follow on Facebook say there was a severe storm in Mississippi about an hour ago, that had two major tornados follow approximately the same track. The news sites don't have a lot of updates yet, but the damage is expected to be horrific. I hope everybody in the area is safe!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
On my mind... one of my instructors has become quite rude to us since we moved our classes to online.
We had to send in video presentation. At first, he said it was okay if we used smaller paper or just used what we have in general since most people got their papers from school. My paper supply is low so I drew all my concepts on one 11x17 sheet. I was careful to organize them neatly. He responded by telling me not to do that and use individual sheets but that makes no sense since it contradicts what he said previously.

Then, for our second presentation, he criticized my presenting skills and told me, "Be clear and get to the point." I was taken back by that comment. Since it's difficult to present well when I'm talking to a camera instead of a real person. Plus, I'm not great with presenting in general in person. I decided to email him after that and express my concern because not only was I put off by his attitude but he also dragged my design choices through the mud when I did my research before proceeding. Lo and behold, his response to my email wasn't any better and yet again, he was rude. Telling me that he doesn't know what research I've been doing but nothing I've done design wise makes sense and he doesn't understand the purpose of what I've chosen for my product.

He's not usually like this so I don't understand the sudden change in character. He even told my close friend that he doesn't think she is a good fit for the program because "her model making skills are poor". Something that takes time to develop.
People are not doing well in isolation, and it sounds like he may be one of them. I'm not sure what you can do about it though Graceful-Lily Graceful-Lily . Are you in contact with any of the other students?

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This morning (Monday morning), I was rushing around before I left and I accidentally stepped on Puar's paw when he was standing behind me. He let out a little squeal and ran away and I didn't have time to comfort him so I just said I was sorry in the voice I use to praise him and left. I feel really bad, but I'm hoping after being away all day he'll forget about it. Also hope that it didn't hurt too much :( I should've just caught the next train and taken a couple of minutes to reassure him that it wasn't on purpose. :sigh:

in other news, tonight I enlisted my friend to give me moral support as I try to sign up for drumming lessons at a drum school. A long time ago I posted about trying to get lessons from a local musician...he...uh...never read my message. LOL. so It was a blow to my ego and has taken me this long to gather my strength and try again (but this time at a school, not an individual, I'm a total newbie anyway so I need to learn basics before getting into a style)

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
People are not doing well in isolation, and it sounds like he may be one of them. I'm not sure what you can do about it though Graceful-Lily Graceful-Lily . Are you in contact with any of the other students?
I don't think there is anything I can do about it. Yes, we all have a group chat for everyone in our current year so we've been keeping in touch with each other. No one else has mentioned him being harsh but I can't imagine me and my friend are the only ones. He also seemed very tired. I want to cut him some slack but I don't see how being rude in a situation like this is justified unless he's going through something much deeper that we do not know about.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think there is anything I can do about it. Yes, we all have a group chat for everyone in our current year so we've been keeping in touch with each other. No one else has mentioned him being harsh but I can't imagine me and my friend are the only ones. He also seemed very tired. I want to cut him some slack but I don't see how being rude in a situation like this is justified unless he's going through something much deeper that we do not know about.
Would you feel comfortable emailing him to voice your concern?

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Got an email from a company trying to sell me some stuff on my work phone.
Ad starts with...... If you spend $10,000 we give 50 masks for free take off 500... :dunno:.
...Once the product reduce price specify product we unconditionally refund once you paid the money.....huh??
..Unconditional refund for money when you pay...:yess:.
...Looking forward to you feedback...have a happy mood...:headscratch:
Then they go on about dealing with the conovirus.
...Do your emergency thing only if going outside....???
...Do not aerate inside...no idea.lol
Lots more through the email
Google translator failed dismally I think

Left me totally confused when trying to read this first thing this morning while still half asleep and head still fuzzy.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
Got an email from a company trying to sell me some stuff on my work phone.
Ad starts with...... If you spend $10,000 we give 50 masks for free take off 500... :dunno:.
...Once the product reduce price specify product we unconditionally refund once you paid the money.....huh??
..Unconditional refund for money when you pay...:yess:.
...Looking forward to you feedback...have a happy mood...:headscratch:
Then they go on about dealing with the conovirus.
...Do your emergency thing only if going outside....???
...Do not aerate inside...no idea.lol
Lots more through the email
Google translator failed dismally I think

Left me totally confused when trying to read this first thing this morning while still half asleep and head still fuzzy.

What a scam!
The internet and email is full of them, don't fall for it. If the English is that bad they are probably in Nigeria or some other place that is known for scam artists. An offer for work on the phone by email? Lots of money but you need to spend $10,000 first? Guarantees? Corona-virus not even spelled correctly? Did you google the company? I hope you did not reply to them or open any links. This not a genuine offer of anything but to get some money from you. They target older people, I am 77 and I am the #1 skeptic of anything, I don't believe anything unless I can verify it for myself through an unconnected source. So far this has served me well.

Status
Not open for further replies.