The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Have the whole week off? Is this your spring break?

Enjoy your later start days! My spring break will be in a couple of weeks. I like to use breaks to catch up or get ahead on projects/studying. What kind of assignments are you working on?
They call it reading week here. The half point between the semester. I cannot believe I'm almost done the first year of this program!

I have some sketches to do. I have to finish my mold for my vaccum forming assignment. I also have to carve shapes out of pink foam. So, not an awful lot but still would probably be best to get it finished early.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been thinking of going down to look at rentals on spring break, if I get the small mammal position. That would be in a couple weeks and be an 8 hour drive there, plus I'd need a hotel to sleep, and 8 hour back. Is it worth it? Have a second interview on Friday, and just had a grad interview today, which I'm super excited about! Hopefully will know in a couple weeks if I was chosen or not for the grad position. I know I get really excited about everything, but the grad position sounds amazing!!! It would also mean I'd be in one spot for the next 2 years, and make me more competitive for full-time positions after earning a masters, which full time means stability and living in an area so I'd be able to buy a house! #goals!!!

Sometimes I get overwhelmed with people's support. After posting on facebook asking for interview advice for the grad interview, someone I met during a summer position a couple summers ago offered to provide advice over the phone. He is a professor himself who does grad and phD interviews. It was very heart-warming and helpful! He was really excited for me and wished me lots of luck!

I also ran into the lady who was running career services and mentioned my skype interview and not sure how to make it work since my computer is iffy, and my laptop broke. She offered for me to come to her office and use her nice set-up! Coming from a family who never encouraged me and cheered me on with my goals and going back to school, it often feels overwhelming when people I've met along the way are so supportive and so genuinely excited to see me succeed and push me to reach further and want to help. Sometimes it is easy to accept, but other times, I'm like, why are people being so nice to me?? I hope everyone has people like this.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They call it reading week here. The half point between the semester. I cannot believe I'm almost done the first year of this program!

I have some sketches to do. I have to finish my mold for my vaccum forming assignment. I also have to carve shapes out of pink foam. So, not an awful lot but still would probably be best to get it finished early.
Neat, we have reading day here, too, which is the day after the last day of classes before finals. I still don't understand why it is called reading week or day, do you? Guess people are supposed to "read", or study? 🤷‍♀️

You're assignments always sound so interesting and kool! Feel free to post them when you are done. I'd love to see them!

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Finny when I crack open a can:
1b3989ed48695a2f89ae5886913a6aa1.gif

Finny when said can is a flavor he has suddenly decided he's not in the mood for:
tenorc.gif

He always goes off and lays down looking all depressed. Like child, I am not going to open every single can we have just to find the magic flavor you'll eat.

I also really wish Vital Essentials made canned food. Really love the simplicity of their ingredients and unfortunately, I can't purchase their raw online and have to find time to go to the store for it.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On my mind is someone I know who has to put their cat down tomorrow. I feel terrible because they obviously care about their cats a lot. Wish I could be of more support.
Mom asked me recently why we do this to ourselves. We bring animals into our lives and our hearts, enjoy their company for (hopefully) many years, and feel like a piece of ourselves is torn out when we lose them. All I know is that I can't envision a life without pets, and I know she can't either.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was really worried about one of last year's kittens, Scamper. Hadn't seen her in at least two weeks, but she showed up for supper tonight! Made my day! She looks good, too, no obvious problems.
I'm glad she's back and all right! :)

Finny when I crack open a can:
View attachment 324025

Finny when said can is a flavor he has suddenly decided he's not in the mood for:
View attachment 324029
He always goes off and lays down looking all depressed. Like child, I am not going to open every single can we have just to find the magic flavor you'll eat.

I also really wish Vital Essentials made canned food. Really love the simplicity of their ingredients and unfortunately, I can't purchase their raw online and have to find time to go to the store for it.
:flail: This is so relatable.

On my mind is someone I know who has to put their cat down tomorrow. I feel terrible because they obviously care about their cats a lot. Wish I could be of more support.
:alright:

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, I have a little story to tell. I can tell it now, because it has been determined that no legal action will be taken against my family. Let me explain.

My foster brother (FB) had a falling out with his girlfriend up in another state, got into some hardcore drugs, got into and out of trouble, and ended up staying here for about a week. One day he showed up with the most adorable little black kitten. (This kitten was smaller than my cats were when they were newborns!) He said he got her from the animal shelter and she had been slated for euthanasia because she'd been there too long and her name was Momo. Then he looked at me and said the magic words, "She has nowhere else to go."

Well, we couldn't kick her out after that. We isolated her in my room so that the cats' could slowly get used to each other. It did not help. Ra and Spot kept going up to the door of my room and hissing. Princess kept hiding on top of the bookcase and at the top of Mom's closet. And Asia refused to come inside. At all. The weather started changing and getting bad and we were physically bringing Asia in (our cats are indoor/outdoor). She'd hiss and press herself against the back door, ears flat against her head, refusing to move from that spot until the door opened and she could escape again. I found out that, during this period that I was trying to slowly introduce the cats to one another, my foster brother was opening the door of my room and bringing the kitten out. And the kitten positively terrified the older cats (they're four as of this year).

We couldn't keep the kitten. We wanted to; she was such a sweet and happy little thing--but the older cats were not getting used to her at all (and we kept her for two months to try and make it work). Well, warned that the animal shelter was a kill shelter by Foster Brother, we took her to the ASPCA which is a no-kill shelter. That we knew was a no kill shelter.

Here's where it gets bad. The kitten was microchipped. Of course she was; it's standard practice for shelters to do that to animals that are being adopted out and we thought nothing of it when they first notified us of it. But that's not all. She wasn't just microchipped, she was registered to Lost Pets Found, a website for people to post pictures and identifying info of their pets (a local site, only for our county). Turns out that the people that Momo (and that was her real name) belonged to had had their house broken into. There had been petty vandalism (not sure what happened; that's just what the report said) and the only thing missing was the six week-old kitten.

These poor people had been looking for their kitten for two whole months, thinking the worst! I couldn't believe it. And what did Foster Brother have to say for himself? Nothing, because he'd gone back up to the other state while we were still trying to integrate the cats.

Sorry for sharing such a horrible story. I just needed to vent.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's terrible! Poor little kitten. Maybe foster brother did save her, though. Maybe his "friends" who were involved in the vandalism were going to hurt her.
Maybe. It's something he would do. I've said before he has heart of gold with two brain cells rattling around his head (harsh, I know, but I have my reasons). I just felt so bad for those poor people. I know what it's like to wonder what happened to your precious fur baby and no one knows. :bawling: And he never said! We've reached out to him and he's said nothing about the kitten! (A lot about drug prices, his ex-girlfriend/girlfriend's kids--they have an on again off again relationship--but nothing about the kitten. About little Momo. And Momo was a black kitten and this is a highly Christian area, so it made sense that she wouldn't have anywhere else to go. I'm kicking myself for not asking more when she was brought in and in feeling so bad for those people.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
These poor people had been looking for their kitten for two whole months, thinking the worst!
So they did get her back (I wasn't clear about that at first), and you were doing your utmost best to take care of her in the meantime, which is a very large thing when compared to the truly negative things that could have happened. :heartshape:

On my mind - food lol, it's getting close to lunch time..., well, sort of.

Status
Not open for further replies.