The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koveshnikov

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Last time she screamed & cried. But it has to be done so we can move. We are being buried alive under her crap.

I can't. Dad chopped it up and put it in the trash. We both felt sick after handling it. Probably should have worn gloves & a face mask.
trash creates chaos :( this is one of our favorite proverbs :)

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I've noticed 15-year-old Lily drinking a lot more water recently. She usually pees only once a day, and because of that, it's a pretty large clump. Along with the increased drinking, her pee clumps, not surprisingly, have gotten bigger, too. At 6:30 this morning when I went in to clean the litter boxes, I found that she had peed outside the box. A lot. It had run everywhere. So given her age and these new behaviors, I'm thinking kidneys. :( She has an appointment to see the vet tomorrow morning, and I've covered the floor around the litter boxes with puppy pee pads. I'm just hoping she confines her peeing to the boxes or the area around them and not anywhere else in the house.

I know that if her blood work comes back showing compromised kidney functioning, the vet will recommend that I stop feeding her raw and switch her to one of the wretched, species-inappropriate (IMO) prescription foods. It has me very stressed.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I've noticed 15-year-old Lily drinking a lot more water recently. She usually pees only once a day, and because of that, it's a pretty large clump. Along with the increased drinking, her pee clumps, not surprisingly, have gotten bigger, too. At 6:30 this morning when I went in to clean the litter boxes, I found that she had peed outside the box. A lot. It had run everywhere. So given her age and these new behaviors, I'm thinking kidneys. :( She has an appointment to see the vet tomorrow morning, and I've covered the floor around the litter boxes with puppy pee pads. I'm just hoping she confines her peeing to the boxes or the area around them and not anywhere else in the house.

I know that if her blood work comes back showing compromised kidney functioning, the vet will recommend that I stop feeding her raw and switch her to one of the wretched, species-inappropriate (IMO) prescription foods. It has me very stressed.
Diabetes is another potential. Just like with people it is common in older cats and drinking then peeing a lot is a major symptom. Fortunately, it is easily treatable if that turns out to be the case. There are also new treatments for kidney disease, like no special diet and supplements that are more effective.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It's not hard to achieve low phosphorus raw diets as long as you use egg shell calcium. You can reduce the calories from protein a little by adding more skin as well. Are you also giving her fish oil?

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
Diabetes is another potential.
I thought about the possibility of diabetes. And in fact, I could check her blood glucose if I can find the glucose meter I have stashed somewhere. My boy Max, whom I lost in 2017 at age 20, was an insulin-dependent diabetic for the last four years of his life. I became quite proficient at blood testing and giving shots!
It's not hard to achieve low phosphorus raw diets as long as you use egg shell calcium. You can reduce the calories from protein a little by adding more skin as well. Are you also giving her fish oil?
I use EZ Complete which has eggshell as the calcium source and New Zealand green-lipped mussels for the omega-3s. I was considering adding more fish oil, but I checked this morning and my fish oil caps expired last fall! Do you think I should add fish oil to her diet? I'm hesitant to reduce calories; I've been weighing her every few weeks, and she's lost weight.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought about the possibility of diabetes. And in fact, I could check her blood glucose if I can find the glucose meter I have stashed somewhere. My boy Max, whom I lost in 2017 at age 20, was an insulin-dependent diabetic for the last four years of his life. I became quite proficient at blood testing and giving shots!

I use EZ Complete which has eggshell as the calcium source and New Zealand green-lipped mussels for the omega-3s. I was considering adding more fish oil, but I checked this morning and my fish oil caps expired last fall! Do you think I should add fish oil to her diet? I'm hesitant to reduce calories; I've been weighing her every few weeks, and she's lost weight.
Fat is more caloric so she'll still be getting plenty of calories. Just a little more from fat and a little less from protein which would be easier on her kidneys. Yeah Dr. Pierson from catinfo.org said up to 900mg of combined EPA and DHA is safe to feed so an additional capsule of omega 3 per day would be good. I buy the Nature Made capsules from costco and they contain 300mg of epa/dha per capsule. Kidney disease is inflammatory and omega 3 is anti-inflammatory so it would be helpful. My cats are still young but once they get a bit older I'm planning on increasing their fish oil intake to help their kidneys out.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
I buy the Nature Made capsules from costco
So do I...and I was just there this morning (to buy puppy pee pads), but unfortunately, I hadn't checked the fish oil before I left. Back I go! I need to reduce the amount of low-fat turkey and pork I've been feeding, and up the chicken thighs--which they like better anyway. Thanks for the info!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What's on my mind? WHAT'S ON MY MIND??? I'll tell you what's on my mind! I looked in the mirror this morning and SOME OLD WOMAN LOOKED BACK IT ME! When did this happen? When did I sign an agreement to this? The only upside is that she does look like a reasonably nice old broad.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
could you take it to your house too? :)
He is someone's cat as he wears a collar. I just like to name our visitors. :clap:
the task of the second program is the processing of materials processed by the first program, and not parallel processing of parallel materials :) it does not process and they are not processed :(
You and Nicky will figure it out!:)

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Feeling not so bad today— feel like I accomplished a few things over the past couple of days; despite going for medical testing.

Saturday was a “lost” day. I felt horrible after the two tests I went through on Thursday and Friday.

Sunday was early morning mass, then home, read newspaper, played with Geoffrey, went over paperwork for income taxes, shredded a lot of things, paid some bills.
I forget what I ate; but it was e a lot of stuff.

Monday, called accountant for appointment, made another call to double check tax info. Went to midday mass, confession, junky stuff for supper. A couple of personal phone calls. .

Today: early mass, helped at church, groceries, talked to a neighbor, changed bed linen, a complete wash and change of litter box’s good vacuum of litter on floor, baked a chicken breads and a sweet potato for supper. Relaxing— feeling good about accomplishing positive things.

Tomorrow : going to midday mass, get my ashes, help set up and participate in a prayer service in my apartment building. I have lefomarr for supper: chicken breast—baked with Penzey’s Northwest seasonings, sweet potato and corn.

Friday is my gastroscopy—- NPO after midnight.
Have to call to see if my “person” is remembering me..., fingers crossed.... not many people in my life..,

I am, food-wise, living
out of my freezer and pantry. I know I will be going on a strict diet— with dietician, next month. It will be at the end me of the month, after all tests are completed and I see the GI doc for a follow-up., ugh.

I need to do this. I asked for it—asked for help.
Not only IBD— food tolerances also. I need help. I do not know what to eat anymore.

Kind of anxious about going through it. I will be ok. I have AirPods to listen to... my cousin accompanying me..., a good place to live. .. I will be ok.

I am good. Really am. All good and positive.

Enough negativity. I need positivity.
Love all.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending you tons of love!!

On my mind is that big Poppycat situated himself on his purple pillow. It's a little small for him, so it takes some feline engineering lol
I guess I was just venting— feeling sorry for my—- but I had a good day today.

Geoffrey was very involved in it. So far, we have played twice today. I am going after him for a third play session and second cuddle session. Such a sweet boy.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What's on my mind is all the work I'm supposed to be doing over my break but man does it feel good to wake up late and have no classes! 😫 I can see the bags under my eyes disappearing already.
Have the whole week off? Is this your spring break?

Enjoy your later start days! My spring break will be in a couple of weeks. I like to use breaks to catch up or get ahead on projects/studying. What kind of assignments are you working on?

Status
Not open for further replies.