The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haven't been in a size 12 jeans since I was in my 20s! What a feeling!
Congrats! It really makes a difference, doesn't it! I've been in reverse... in Dec./Jan. I lost weight, but put it back on this past month, and BOY do I feel it!! Need to get myself back on track, haha.

Why are oven mitts and pot holders most often not sold in pairs? :headscratch: I mean, you have two hands that need protection from being scorched. If you don't need two to move a hot pot or whatever, then just don't use the other mitt or holder. I went to Target to buy oven mitts and they were all sold singly. So I bought two. The selection wasn't great so I settled on a pair of blue plaid ones.
That is a great question! Always have used 1 mitt and 1 potholder when needing two hands, but never thought of it that way and they should!

I do no exercises at all. Since moving here where the atmosphere is so thin I have been unable to walk very far because I start to huff and puff. Grocery shopping means I pick up a cart in the parking lot and walk it in so I have something to hang onto, it works quite well. I walk very slowly too which bothers me as I have always been able to walk not only quite far but also quite fast. I also get light-headed just walking around in my own home, sort of fuzzy-headed. I'm told I'll get used to the thin air but I have been here now almost 7 months and it is really no better. The first month was ok, then the altitude started getting to me sort of like my car which started to have the engine light come on after 2 weeks but I was told that would go away after driving about 100 miles which it did. But my body is not getting used to it, its "engine light" is still on. As long as I sit I have no problem doing anything but standing and walking really does me in. I have a doctor's appt tomorrow and I will certainly bring that up. My son, the big rig driver, does not have that problem, he says it is because he is never any place long enough for his body to get used to either high or low altitudes.
My school is in the mountains and higher elevation, one of the highest in the east. I push through and like to get stronger, but my freshman friends I had always complained about walking up 4 flights of stairs to get to their dorm and they were always out of breathe. It definitely makes a difference. It's rough though if it is hard to breathe/catch breathe to exercise. I'm sorry it's been so rough on your body still.

Im thinking how wonderful it is that you can get cute little bird programs on tv for your cat or cats...:whitecat::petcat::):hyper:
Have you tried any? Any suggestions?

Sometimes I play cat relaxation music for my cats and one time the music started super relaxing, all three were out and purring loudly... then about 20 min. in, there are bird sounds! All the cats perked up and looked around! Haha, why would someone put that in music specifically to cat your cats? I thought it was so funny!

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welp... received a job offer for the seasonal field job I interviewed with last Friday!!! :happycat: I am so excited! And, boy, that was fast! They said it might take a couple weeks to hear an answer on if I was chosen or not, haha. Still have an interview tomorrow morning for another seasonal position.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welp... received a job offer for the seasonal field job I interviewed with last Friday!!! :happycat: I am so excited! And, boy, that was fast! They said it might take a couple weeks to hear an answer on if I was chosen or not, haha. Still have an interview tomorrow morning for another seasonal position.
You are kicking some butt! Go you!! :)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Lol, yes, but he may be shy.
Or trying to appear all moody and mysterious...

Those ridges have been there for years and seem to be getting worse.
Well, they are a natural part of aging, but can also indicate vitamin and mineral deficiencies as well.

My Old Man, Austin, that remarkable feral tom who is so good with the kittens after their mothers push them away, is not doing well. He lost half of his tail a couple of years ago, and today I realized that he's lost another two inches of it, at least. This means that there is an ongoing process of some sort. HOWEVER...HE LET ME PET HIM! And arched into my hand (followed by copious hand washing with soap and hot water). He's not in bad shape, weight-wise, and is clear-eyed and eating well. SO...Since I cannot trap him and take him to the vet, I'll have to do what I've been doing...making sure there is food and fresh water, and a sheltered place to sleep. It's a tough town for ferals...NO sympathy at all from the Powers the Be.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think the pot holders usually come in pairs but the mitts are sold singly. Maybe most people only like to use one mitt? I don't know; I don't even have an oven mitt because the fabric used inside gives me the weebie-jeebies. I just use pot holders, plus now I have a couple of those little silicone finger mitts I got in an Instant Pot accessory kit.

Target only had single pot holders as well :dunno: The only set they had was one pot holder and one mitt. I don't want one of each. I want two mitts:gaah:

The mitts I have are just plain cotton quilted ones, the same material inside and out (and oddly, they're cheaper on Target.com than in-store). I know some mitts have a weird textured cotton inside :cringe: My mom had a pair once and the inside was just so weird feeling. I'm not sure if silicone mitts have a fabric lining inside:think:

I don't know, for rotating a pan in the oven or taking out a pan or sheet I would think one would need two hands to do it especially if the pan or sheet is heavy with food. So you'd need two oven mitts or pot holders.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
HOWEVER...HE LET ME PET HIM!
Austin!! this is so wonderful :redheartpump:

for rotating a pan in the oven or taking out a pan or sheet I would think one would need two hands to do it especially if the pan or sheet is heavy with food. So you'd need two oven mitts or pot holders.
Definitely - it's not very often I can get away with a one-handed adjustment or lift. I finally gave in, so to speak and got two of something similar to this;

On my mind is that the bathtub got regrouted and it looks quite nice :)

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
My Old Man, Austin, that remarkable feral tom who is so good with the kittens after their mothers push them away, is not doing well. He lost half of his tail a couple of years ago, and today I realized that he's lost another two inches of it, at least. This means that there is an ongoing process of some sort. HOWEVER...HE LET ME PET HIM! And arched into my hand (followed by copious hand washing with soap and hot water). He's not in bad shape, weight-wise, and is clear-eyed and eating well. SO...Since I cannot trap him and take him to the vet, I'll have to do what I've been doing...making sure there is food and fresh water, and a sheltered place to sleep. It's a tough town for ferals...NO sympathy at all from the Powers the Be.
Oh, that's so heart-warming!! Maybe he got into a fight wih another male but he knows who his mama is!!💖💝

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I take biotin every day. I also use the hoof repair, but I keep forgetting and only use it once a week or two. The biotin isn't an instant fix, but well worth it in the long run.

unpolished
View attachment 322839

Congratulations. This is a big deal.
I know how hard it is. I'm down to a size 11 (if women's sizes went that way). Even doing from 7-15 miles a day on the exorcise bike and eating almost nothing, it just won't budge from there. So I get it.
You are doing good.
Wowza, those are amazing!!!

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My other job interview was this morning and went great! First off, it was stated to be only part-time, but when I inquired during the interview they stated that based on my experience they would be able to offer a full 40 hours/week for 6 months, if I was offered the position! 😲 While there would be no benefits, there would be a free clinic through the school they work with I would be able to use! So glad I decided to apply despite thinking it was only part-time! Also, they mentioned I was definitely qualified and had the most experience by far of all applicants, which hopefully helps me!

They also mentioned that the area has a very high cost of living, and I stated I was aware and looked into that and some rentals may be cheaper about a half hour commute away. They seemed very impressed that I researched and thought about things in such detail, haha. They stated they were a little nervous that I was not a resident of the area, but also see I moved far to go to school and traveled far for a summer job last year, so it seems moving for seasonal work was no obstacle for me and I was used to and willing to do it. Feel free to send positive vibes about this! This would be my dream job right now, haha!

I was talking with my therapist today that I already feel bad knowing I may be accepting offers and telling them later that I unfortunately am no longer able to. He's reminding me that that is how it works, and I don't need to feel bad, that it is great to choose the opportunity that will be best for me and my future goals. I know I'd tell someone else the same thing, but it is hard thinking I may have to do it myself.... Like, my first job offer that I have to reply to soon were sooooo nice and friendly in the interview... it just feels so hard thinking if I need to tell them if my plans change. Anybody else had to do this before? How was it for you? How did you manage if you felt bad for doing it?

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sophie was fussing by the back sliding glass door just now. She wanted to go out into the screen room so I let her. Not 2 minutes later, there is a squirrel in the tree closest to the screen and it is screaming at her. As soon as I opened the door, it jumped to a closer branch and started giving ME what for. :lol:

Sophie was just sitting on the arm of the chair that I have out back looking out the screen and watching the world go by. She had no interest in the squirrel. The squirrel was not pleased at all and yelled at both of us. I grabbed a big handful of shelled walnuts and tossed them out by the tree as a peace offering. The screaming has stopped. For now. :rolleyes2:

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate living half an hour from everything. Especially if car problems happen, it's too hard to find a ride. Just something to keep in mind.
Understandable, although a half hour is doable for me. I make that commute now and also have done so in the past for at least a year with a full-time job. Now, 45 minutes plus rush hour traffic or bad weather causing up to 1.5 hour travel often... that was exhausting for me! Did that for 3 months while interning full-time at the zoo. (Still don't regret it as the experience gained has been extremely useful to get other opportunities.)

I've luckily never had any car issues that have impacted traveling to work, knock on wood. Both cars I have owned/own have had very little problems. Thank you for your input, although I'm not going to let what-ifs keep me from a really awesome position if I get it. The thing I've discovered the past few years is there are ways to make things work if you want it, and if there isn't a way it was not meant to be the opportunity for you. Once I started pushing through my fear and taking risks and opportunities, more amazing opportunities started to arise. Plus, I can already hear my therapists voice saying, "You can't predict the future!" if I mentioned this as a reason not to take this job if I was offered it, haha. My anxiety is atrocious sometimes, especially when it starts spinning into what ifs, but he is right. No one can predict the future, so just focusing on the journey and your goals allows you to reach much farther.

Guessing you've had this happen before and had a negative experience? :alright:

Status
Not open for further replies.