The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Fell down the stairs Friday night and now my left butt cheek is bruised pretty bad and it hurts to sit. It could have been worse, obviously, but having a sore butt isn't fun.

Turns out I'd have to work seven days in a row if I worked for the pet supplies store I was offered a job at. Yeah, no thanks. I'll keep looking, I guess. Maybe the vet clinic I take my boys to needs another receptionist and would be willing to hire me despite my lack of experience in that area. I mean, everyone has to start somewhere.

Dude at work must dislike me because he looks/glances/straight up stares at me, but never smiles, or talks to me (other than a quick 'sup or how's it going). He smiles at and talks to everyone else. The only time I can get a smile out of him is if I jokingly pick on him.

Tried Hound & Gatos on the boys. At first, Teddy got excited about the rabbit but changed his mind after a few bites...BOI, HONEY CHILD, WORK WITH ME HERE lol I ordered as many flavors of Koha on The Pet Beastro website as I could, including frickin kangaroo. Now I'm on other sites I shop at to find more brands. Not a fan of always running up to the store. We gonna find something. I did get them the Venison version of Ziwipeak air-dried today so at least something they eat is no longer screwing them up.

Bought my first makeup vanity. I've always wanted one and NOW I FINALLY GOT ONE WOO.

Started drinking a gallon (well not an entire gallon. A cup less than one) of water a day, It's gotten easier and I don't pee every five seconds anymore lol
Hope you feel better soon and find a job that suits you well!

He probably is interested but is too afraid to say anything. But it's difficult to know for sure unless you interact with that person regularly.

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hope you feel better soon and find a job that suits you well!

He probably is interested but is too afraid to say anything. But it's difficult to know for sure unless you interact with that person regularly.
Thanks! I hope so too.

I see him often enough. I highly doubt he's interested, but that could also be my low self-esteem taking. Who knows lol

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
Finally managed to download the picture of what my nails look like. Those ridges have been there for years and seem to be getting worse.
02142020 010.JPG

they never get better and I don't chew my nails. You can see where little chips come off and where the nails peel where the ridges are that then get caught on my clothes and I have to file them down until there are hardly any nails left. The Mane and Tail hasn't done a thing but Vaseline Intensive Care Aloe Soothe seems to help at least a little, I put it on my feet every night before going to bed and rub it into my hands and nails and most times wear cotton gloves at night. I also try to put it on my hands during the day but I am so busy doing various things that I forget about doing it.

On another thing: the patio is all cement, not even a weed growing in the cracks, at least not now. So today I bought 7 plastic pots that look like half barrels and the potting soil to go into them. I will put 3 of the shrubs growing in the backyard into them, they look pretty scrawny anyway as the soil on top of this hill is pretty poor. I already dug up 2 of them ad found that they never made roots any larger than the hole somebody had dug before they planted the shrub, they should do better in pots. I also got a blueberry bush, a lilac bush and a rhubarb which will go into barrels also. They will stay small because their roots cannot expand past the barrels.
I also set up the boards for the raised beds and will fill them with all the leaves I raked up last fall plus the few rotted veggies I have saved for the last few months. After that I will get compost and fill up the beds so I can plant once it gets warm enough. I am also raising some veggies from seeds in plastic containers with clear covers with holes in them for later transplanting, will see how that goes. Gardening is so different here from SoCal and even from WA where I lived for a short while, the season is so short.
I wonder if some of my potted plants that don't like the cold would survive in the garage if I left the lights on or do they need special lights and just how much cold can they take? I am talking about Angels Trumpets and Amaryllis and Christmas cactus after they have stopped blooming but are not yet dormant and possibly Dragon Fruit ( a cactus) or all my cacti which I have so far in the dining room next to the patio door where they get about 5 hours sun at this time of year but will go outside once it gets warm enough. None of these but the cacti look like much at this stage anyway and just take up a lot of space. Anybody have any thoughts on that?

Koveshnikov

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Finally managed to download the picture of what my nails look like. Those ridges have been there for years and seem to be getting worse.View attachment 322622
they never get better and I don't chew my nails. You can see where little chips come off and where the nails peel where the ridges are that then get caught on my clothes and I have to file them down until there are hardly any nails left. The Mane and Tail hasn't done a thing but Vaseline Intensive Care Aloe Soothe seems to help at least a little, I put it on my feet every night before going to bed and rub it into my hands and nails and most times wear cotton gloves at night. I also try to put it on my hands during the day but I am so busy doing various things that I forget about doing it.

On another thing: the patio is all cement, not even a weed growing in the cracks, at least not now. So today I bought 7 plastic pots that look like half barrels and the potting soil to go into them. I will put 3 of the shrubs growing in the backyard into them, they look pretty scrawny anyway as the soil on top of this hill is pretty poor. I already dug up 2 of them ad found that they never made roots any larger than the hole somebody had dug before they planted the shrub, they should do better in pots. I also got a blueberry bush, a lilac bush and a rhubarb which will go into barrels also. They will stay small because their roots cannot expand past the barrels.
I also set up the boards for the raised beds and will fill them with all the leaves I raked up last fall plus the few rotted veggies I have saved for the last few months. After that I will get compost and fill up the beds so I can plant once it gets warm enough. I am also raising some veggies from seeds in plastic containers with clear covers with holes in them for later transplanting, will see how that goes. Gardening is so different here from SoCal and even from WA where I lived for a short while, the season is so short.
I wonder if some of my potted plants that don't like the cold would survive in the garage if I left the lights on or do they need special lights and just how much cold can they take? I am talking about Angels Trumpets and Amaryllis and Christmas cactus after they have stopped blooming but are not yet dormant and possibly Dragon Fruit ( a cactus) or all my cacti which I have so far in the dining room next to the patio door where they get about 5 hours sun at this time of year but will go outside once it gets warm enough. None of these but the cacti look like much at this stage anyway and just take up a lot of space. Anybody have any thoughts on that?
it may not be a lack of calcium in your body? ...

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
it may not be a lack of calcium in your body? ...
segelkatt segelkatt I think Alex and Nicky are right and also genes have somehing to do with it. Have you been taking Biotin?
Josie Marin makes an amazing Organic Argon Oil for split ends, cuticles,.nails, hands. face. Nicole always buys me a bottle
for either my bd or Christmas, although it's pricey

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tried Vital Essentials' frozen raw rabbit on the boys. Finny was chomping away happily (well, until he got distracted by bird TV lol) and finished his and most of Teddy's. Teddy walked away at first but ate a decent amount once he actually decided to taste it (had to put fish oil on a piece to entice him).

My only concern is the little pieces of bone scattered throughout the food because idk how high the bone percentage is.

They've never had constipation issues when it comes to bone, but after finding out how high Oma's Pride's bone level was and the problems that could have caused down the line, I'm a bit wary now.

But what I do love is how small and simple the ingredient list is. Meat and organs, fish oil, goat's milk, some vitamins.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
segelkatt segelkatt I think Alex and Nicky are right and also genes have somehing to do with it. Have you been taking Biotin?
Josie Marin makes an amazing Organic Argon Oil for split ends, cuticles,.nails, hands. face. Nicole always buys me a bottle
for either my bd or Christmas, although it's pricey
Haven't heard of Biotin but looked it up and it sounds promising. My hair also is not as thick as it used to be, every strand is much thinner and it breaks easily. I know I don't eat as well as I used to, mostly because I just don't eat as much as I used to but have not had any significant weight loss in the last year, it just goes up and down by 5 lbs. and I can and do eat just about anything. This of someone who has had a weight problem all of her life, blowing up for years to 275 lbs, had weight loss surgery which brought it down to 165, then gained back to 220 but has lost enough weight since then in the last 2 years without trying very hard, just having lost my appetite and for some reason feeling full with very little food, to be at 145 and staying steady, all this at age 76. I fill my plate with what I think I can eat but after just half of it I am full to the point where I feel that I will upchuck and sometimes have done just that, very weird.
My father at age 85 had beautiful nails, just one split from an old injury that he said never healed up properly. As you can see I have ridges all over my nails, even on my toe nails, and the splits and chips and peelings start there.
The argon oil does not look all that expensive to me if it works, Amazon has it so I might try that. Perhaps between argon oil and biotin I can look the way I used to regarding my hair and nails, wrinkles I have earned so those don't concern me, what do I expect from the old lady that is looking at me from the mirror? Sometimes I don't recognize her because that is not how I feel and don't look it from the neck down. Haven't been in a size 12 jeans since I was in my 20s! What a feeling!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I remember both my grandmothers being like that segelkatt segelkatt . I don’t remember at what age though. I just remember them saying they didn’t have the appetite they used to and things like that.

Have you ever napped so hard you feel like you were in another dimension? That was me this afternoon. If DH hadnt woken me up I might have slept through till tomorrow.😴🥱😴 Sometimes the body just needs rest I guess. Plus I was up reading really late and then Mooch still didn’t want me to go to bed. 🤪

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I remember both my grandmothers being like that segelkatt segelkatt . I don’t remember at what age though. I just remember them saying they didn’t have the appetite they used to and things like that.

Have you ever napped so hard you feel like you were in another dimension? That was me this afternoon. If DH hadnt woken me up I might have slept through till tomorrow.😴🥱😴 Sometimes the body just needs rest I guess. Plus I was up reading really late and then Mooch still didn’t want me to go to bed. 🤪
You must have really needed it. Go with the flow. :)

I've taken to having 'speed naps' when I know I'm just not going to function properly without it. If I sleep too long I wake up with a kind of sleep hangover, so I set my alarm for 45 minutes. Works wonders!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haven't heard of Biotin but looked it up and it sounds promising
I take biotin every day. I also use the hoof repair, but I keep forgetting and only use it once a week or two. The biotin isn't an instant fix, but well worth it in the long run.

unpolished
IMG_20200217_104100.jpg

Haven't been in a size 12 jeans since I was in my 20s! What a feeling!
Congratulations. This is a big deal.
I know how hard it is. I'm down to a size 11 (if women's sizes went that way). Even doing from 7-15 miles a day on the exorcise bike and eating almost nothing, it just won't budge from there. So I get it.
You are doing good.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Why are oven mitts and pot holders most often not sold in pairs? :headscratch: I mean, you have two hands that need protection from being scorched. If you don't need two to move a hot pot or whatever, then just don't use the other mitt or holder. I went to Target to buy oven mitts and they were all sold singly. So I bought two. The selection wasn't great so I settled on a pair of blue plaid ones.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do no exercises at all. Since moving here where the atmosphere is so thin I have been unable to walk very far because I start to huff and puff. Grocery shopping means I pick up a cart in the parking lot and walk it in so I have something to hang onto, it works quite well. I walk very slowly too which bothers me as I have always been able to walk not only quite far but also quite fast. I also get light-headed just walking around in my own home, sort of fuzzy-headed. I'm told I'll get used to the thin air but I have been here now almost 7 months and it is really no better. The first month was ok, then the altitude started getting to me sort of like my car which started to have the engine light come on after 2 weeks but I was told that would go away after driving about 100 miles which it did. But my body is not getting used to it, its "engine light" is still on. As long as I sit I have no problem doing anything but standing and walking really does me in. I have a doctor's appt tomorrow and I will certainly bring that up. My son, the big rig driver, does not have that problem, he says it is because he is never any place long enough for his body to get used to either high or low altitudes.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why are oven mitts and pot holders most often not sold in pairs? :headscratch: I mean, you have two hands that need protection from being scorched. If you don't need two to move a hot pot or whatever, then just don't use the other mitt or holder. I went to Target to buy oven mitts and they were all sold singly. So I bought two. The selection wasn't great so I settled on a pair of blue plaid ones.
I think the pot holders usually come in pairs but the mitts are sold singly. Maybe most people only like to use one mitt? I don't know; I don't even have an oven mitt because the fabric used inside gives me the weebie-jeebies. I just use pot holders, plus now I have a couple of those little silicone finger mitts I got in an Instant Pot accessory kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.