The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've kind of been having a rough time of it lately. I'm trying to get healthier, so I'm trying to cut back on caffeine, and a month and a half ago, I started going on half doses of my antidepressant. I'm really feeling drained at my job, behind on the music thread, ready for spring, and all I want to do is sleep and play the video game I started on my honeymoon flights.

Hopefully I'll be more active here soon.
Caffeine can be so hard to cut, but very possible. I ended up quitting caffeine many years ago. Sometimes I'd have cheat days on and off for a year or two, but every 3 days after a cheat day I had a migraine... my body is very sensitive to things and went into withdrawals from not having caffeine, so I decided to just totally cut caffeine because of this with no more cheat days. Really miss Dr. Pepper! But it is better this way.

What type of caffeinated beverage do you drink?

Sorry to hear you've been feeling crappy. It's hard feeling like that, no energy and not very motivated to do things. You mentioned trying to get healthier and going down on your antidepressant dose, were those two concepts related?

W WillowMarie , your dizziness/passing out episode sounds a lot like what I experience if my blood sugar goes too low. While I am diabetic, low blood sugar can happen in anyone. If it happens again, immediately have a glass of juice, milk or sugared soda and as other have said, get medical help. If it is your blood sugar the drink should help raise it and you should feel better within 15 minutes.
Thanks for your input. Y'know both the school nurse and my therapist asked when I had eaten the night before, and I can't remember... I think I had some cookie dough, but no dinner...? so it is possible I was hungry. If so, the pain in my ankle could have exasperated it. When I was very young, I used to pass out if I didn't have breakfast, but this hasn't happened since I've been an adult. I was very hungry when waking up, too, so this also made me wonder if it was hunger/low blood sugar. If it happens again, I am definitely going to a doctor.

I don’t understand some people and their thought process. Case in point: on my Nextdoor app a mother is pleading for a cat companion for her 10 yr old son. Apparently his 3 yr old cat was hit and killed when accidentally slipping out the door. I was looking at a Craigslist community ad because I try matching lost pets to owners (I know, a lesson in futility). I came across an ad for a free 15yr old cat that the owner was getting rid of because he was moving. He stated that the cat was healthy because he had it since she was a kitten! I was so upset that I emailed him to please please please reconsider this. No response. So I pleaded with the woman who was looking for a cat for her son. I even said that this could be a great lesson in compassion for her son. No response. I just don’t get how people can be so indifferent and even callous to situations that require them to be compassionate. This is hard for me to swallow 😢
That is so depressing! I cannot imagine ever giving away one of my cats if moving! But people do it all the time. I really wonder if those people enjoy having cats and have a connection with them. I know there are all sorts of different circumstances, but I would do everything possible to not give them up.

You have such a big heart! Thank you for caring about those cats!

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What type of caffeinated beverage do you drink?

Sorry to hear you've been feeling crappy. It's hard feeling like that, no energy and not very motivated to do things. You mentioned trying to get healthier and going down on your antidepressant dose, were those two concepts related?
Coffee drinker! I know I can't give it up completely, but I was at like three large cups a day. I'm trying to just do one of my thermos fulls at school, and I've mixed some decaf in with my regular coffee at home to make the cup I have before school less caffeinated. I don't drink pop, unless mixed with an alcoholic beverage, so caffeine's not a problem there.

I tried giving it up completely for Lent one year and I was such a miserable person a few days in, I had to retool what I was doing for Lent.

And yeah, it's all related. I probably should have waited until spring, but I'd been planning on weaning off my antidepressant anyway - I'd talked to my doctor about going on half doses in the spring since I' planning on leaving my job at the end of the school year and I've been working on counselling and stuff, but then I hadn't brought enough with me to Australia so I started cutting them in half there and I'd been doing fine on my half dose until lately.

Same here. It's this blasted cold weather. It's got everybody down it seems. I'm trying to give up coffee too, and it depresses me because I miss it so much. ((Hugs))
It's the worst. I know I can't give it up completely, but it's like when you get to a state where you realize you're just having too much of it? So I'm trying to go down to one cup a day, but it's hard.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried giving it up completely for Lent one year and I was such a miserable person a few days in, I had to retool what I was doing for Lent.
Did you have any withdrawl symptoms? What did it feel like for you?

And yeah, it's all related. I probably should have waited until spring, but I'd been planning on weaning off my antidepressant anyway - I'd talked to my doctor about going on half doses in the spring since I' planning on leaving my job at the end of the school year and I've been working on counselling and stuff, but then I hadn't brought enough with me to Australia so I started cutting them in half there and I'd been doing fine on my half dose until lately.
Understandable, that makes sense why you started cutting dosage now. I, too, have gotten off anti-depressants about 10 years ago. For me, I felt more numb on the medications, and I was definitely more emotional off of them,but I was also able to cry. But sometimes you have to let yourself feel and work through the emotions to feel better, so I knew it was the right thing for me. It sucks sometimes and was and still is overwhelming at times, but I know that the feelings will pass, and I will be a stronger person because of it. Not sure if any of this is relateable, or if you had other reasons. These feelings will pass for you, too. Keep working on your health, and one day you will realize how far you've come and realize you made it through and feel better.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you have any withdrawl symptoms? What did it feel like for you?
Oh yeah. I was jittery and irritable like no one's business. I remember being at a restaurant with my parents and them pointing out how off I was. And I ordered a cup of coffee when my brother suggested it might be my Lent thing, and I felt so much better after drinking it.

If I can get down to one caffeinated cup a day, with an extra for like a treat/coffee meet up with a friend or some such on some days, I'll be happier with my intake.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
W WillowMarie , it doesn’t taste quit the same as regular Dr. Pepper but I drink their Caffeine Free Diet Dr. Pepper. I can’t have anything caffeinated past noon or I will literally be up all night.
Thanks! I've thought about that, although I try to stay away from anything diet since artificial sweeteners have shown to have negative effects (not saying sugar is better!). Although, there IS a non-diet version of Dr. Pepper caffeine free, but it is no where to be found in stores. My last boyfriend was thinking about trying to order some for me, and even asked when he worked at Walmart if it could be special ordered, but the vendor said he could not get it for us. :bawling: An alternative for me when in the mood for pop is caffeine free varieties of root beer. Is Dr. Pepper your favorite, too?

After I stopped drinking Dr. Pepper, I used to ask my boyfriend if I could smell his when he had some. It always smells so good even if I can't drink it!

Dude, it's always fun to meet others that are super sensitive and hear this, too! It's crazy how caffeine can affect people in different ways. For me, it was about 2 pm. One time I had some at work, and when I got home at 9 pm I was SOOOOO talkative! I'm like, why am I so talkative, energetic, and social??? OHHHHH, I had caffeine after 2 pm today, hahaha. Oops!

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
Jemima Lucca Jemima Lucca , I don’t understand it either. Giving away a 15 year old cat is like leaving your grandmother on the curb and driving away. It is also upsetting when a person gets a new kitten and then decides that their older cat should be rehomed because the two aren’t getting along.
Right? Exactly what I thought regarding that poor cat...

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it illegal to murder your husband after he buys your toddler a microphone that only plays the Hot Dog song from Mickey Mouse Clubhouse over and over and over again or is that considered a justifiable homicide? Asking for a friend . . .

And I can't imagine rehoming a cat that I've had for 15 years. I've had my boys for almost 4 years and there's no way I'd give them up. They're family.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it illegal to murder your husband after he buys your toddler a microphone that only plays the Hot Dog song from Mickey Mouse Clubhouse over and over and over again or is that considered a justifiable homicide? Asking for a friend . .
Justifiable ;)

Last edited:

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t understand some people and their thought process. Case in point: on my Nextdoor app a mother is pleading for a cat companion for her 10 yr old son. Apparently his 3 yr old cat was hit and killed when accidentally slipping out the door. I was looking at a Craigslist community ad because I try matching lost pets to owners (I know, a lesson in futility). I came across an ad for a free 15yr old cat that the owner was getting rid of because he was moving. He stated that the cat was healthy because he had it since she was a kitten! I was so upset that I emailed him to please please please reconsider this. No response. So I pleaded with the woman who was looking for a cat for her son. I even said that this could be a great lesson in compassion for her son. No response. I just don’t get how people can be so indifferent and even callous to situations that require them to be compassionate. This is hard for me to swallow 😢
That guy is evil. I wish I could take her.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Having a relaxing birthday day. Spending the day submitting more applications that I'm interested in. Made a word document with different topics and skills that can be pieced together in a cover letter, depending on what skills and knowledge are needed/desired for each position. Should help make the process faster!

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So Teddy is sensitive to eggs, chicken, turkey, and lamb. Not sure what else but that's what we got so far. Finny is also sensitive to those things as well. Now I have to redo their whole nutrition plan, find foods without any of those ingredients and hope the itchy scratchy goes away. I could just dive in and start making my own, but I don't have the money right now for the supplements, a grinder and possibly a mini freezer to store the finished portions because we don't have space in our actual freezer (though I could probably figure that issue out).

Also pretty sure Finny has Pica...things just keep getting better ....lol

Status
Not open for further replies.