The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just found out tonight that a coworker of mine has gone missing and has an Amber alert out for her. I hope she wasn't trafficked or taken by someone. I feel like she probably just took off without telling anyone as she had mentioned wanting to get away and go on vacation. Friday she didn't sign any time off papers and just left her badge in our storage room. That was the last we saw of her, though she's been missing since Saturday, last seen leaving her cousin's boyfriend's house. No one has been able to contact her or track her phone's location. She just disappeared. There are some odd parts that could seem worrying such as her not even telling her best friend, whom she's been known to tell everything to, anything about going somewhere.

It's honestly just sad thinking about something bad happening to her. So as crappy as her just taking off is, I hope that's the case. It's better than the alternatives.

Also the husband of another co-worker of mine sounds like he's on his deathbed, so she's going to be away however long she needs. We're understaffed even more.

So of course I got a job offer. I need to ask a few questions about before filling out the application. Great timing universe...

If it ends up working out with that job it's not gonna be fun to hand in a notice with what's currently going on. But I'm not giving up the chance to get out of this hellhole if the jobs ends up being what I'm looking for.

:sigh:

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Had my hospital ultrasound today. It's been definitely confirmed that I'm having a girl. Yay!!! But of course the little turd was being ridiculously stubborn and wouldn't let us see her face. She's measuring right at 21 weeks and I'm 21 weeks 3 days so she's growing fine even though I've lost about 15 pounds. She's taking from me, which is fine as long as she's fine.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Well, that didn't go so well. The rotini took on a rather strange texture.
I made the mistake of cookin egg noodles in the crock pot and it came out NASTY. Found out pasta has to be cooked in boiling water=the crock pot doesn't get the water hot enough. Did youknow you can cook it in the microwave? The trick is=fill bowl halfway with water=nuke for 10 minutes or until boils=then add pasta-nuke on high for 6 to 8 minutes= stir every 3rd minute=drain=comes out just as good but you can only cook a few cups of noodles at a time..next time nuke the water=then add noodles=cook halfway till just aldenta then plop it in crock pot in last 30 minutes of your cooking=the noodles won't get mushy.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
There is more bad news coming from me here in Reno besides that it is just too damn cold most of the time.
I heard someone retching in the middle of the night, then a certain black cat crawled out from under the cover and vomited onto the floor. Thank goodness no carpet and there was just a slight wet stain the next morning (no wonder with the low humidity here, everything dries in no time). Then I heard slurping and wondered what that was all about. That happened several times that week so I turned on the light the next time and I saw Panthera throwing up liquid with just the tiniest bit of solids and then he ate it, yuck! Next morning I made an appt with the vet as this was not normal. A few days later the vet found a "mass" in his belly that should not be there so he ordered xrays to make sure it was not just gas or a clump of food. Nope, definitely something not gas or food. Next step ultrasound, yikes, a bill of almost $900.00! Bad news although apart from upchucking liquidity stuff no change in behavior, eating, sleeping, pooping, playing as usual: he has several cysts on his liver, kidneys and pancreas most of which are benign but growing and would have to come out eventually. However one of them is cancerous and inoperable so he does not have much time left and there is no point on putting him through all kinds of procedures which just would make him miserable and really solve nothing. So as long as he is comfortable and not in pain which he would show by hiding and probably not eating and otherwise not acting his usual self nothing will be done although he does have meds so he won't throw up, no big deal, half a small pill in some canned food and he just slurps it up!. Once it gets to that point, which could be as soon as a month or even sooner, nothing will be done. Once there I will let him go and have the vet send him to the rainbow bridge where all the other kitties are waiting who have preceded him. He has had a good life while with me these last 10 or 12 years and he has been a good cat bringing me lots of joy, at age 15 is not a young cat and has had a good run catching birds and lizards (and eating them!) in the last place where we lived in SoCal and had an enclosed patio. He also caught flies in mid-air! Ate them too!
So I will miss him who slept under the covers with me like a child cuddled up to me with just his head sticking out (especially in these cold Reno nights when I turned off the heat) and purring me to sleep.
segelkatt segelkatt So very to hear this. Hoping for more time together!

And yes this winter has been really cold!!
Jon has convinced me to keep the heat on 70 most nights-it's just been bone cold around 10 to 20 at night!

not sure if your vet uses Cerenia-but it's one of the best anti nausea meds on the market plus they found it has some anti pain properties too-it's given once a day for 5 days with one day skip but my vet had me give it every day with Floey back when she had that aggressive tumor. Highly recommend this one-some vets use Pepcid AC along with Cerenia-Floey responded well with this combo.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just found out tonight that a coworker of mine has gone missing and has an Amber alert out for her. I hope she wasn't trafficked or taken by someone. I feel like she probably just took off without telling anyone as she had mentioned wanting to get away and go on vacation. Friday she didn't sign any time off papers and just left her badge in our storage room. That was the last we saw of her, though she's been missing since Saturday, last seen leaving her cousin's boyfriend's house. No one has been able to contact her or track her phone's location. She just disappeared. There are some odd parts that could seem worrying such as her not even telling her best friend, whom she's been known to tell everything to, anything about going somewhere.

It's honestly just sad thinking about something bad happening to her. So as crappy as her just taking off is, I hope that's the case. It's better than the alternatives.

Also the husband of another co-worker of mine sounds like he's on his deathbed, so she's going to be away however long she needs. We're understaffed even more.

So of course I got a job offer. I need to ask a few questions about before filling out the application. Great timing universe...

If it ends up working out with that job it's not gonna be fun to hand in a notice with what's currently going on. But I'm not giving up the chance to get out of this hellhole if the jobs ends up being what I'm looking for.

:sigh:
Wow, that's scary. Hope your coworker is found safe.

Congrats on the job offer!!! :cheerleader: Keep us updated!

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow, that's scary. Hope your coworker is found safe.

Congrats on the job offer!!! :cheerleader: Keep us updated!
The post on Facebook about her was taken down today. Not sure why.

I'll probably go this weekend after I fill out the application to ask what the pay is and how many hours/days I'd work considering they are open for ten hours six out of the seven days they are open. What does full time look like? Is it a ten hour shift? Etc. I need to know all this before I even attempt to get the job. I need to know what will be expected of me and what I'm walking into.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The post on Facebook about her was taken down today. Not sure why.

I'll probably go this weekend after I fill out the application to ask what the pay is and how many hours/days I'd work considering they are open for ten hours six out of the seven days they are open. What does full time look like? Is it a ten hour shift? Etc. I need to know all this before I even attempt to get the job. I need to know what will be expected of me and what I'm walking into.
From my experience, full time tends to be 40 hours/week, but some places may consider a bit less, too. I have worked jobs with either 5-8 hour days or 4-10 hour days. If they mention you may work over 40 hours, it is good to inquire if they provide overtime and what the details would be. I was surprised for seasonal jobs where I'm at only offer overtime over 45+ hours. Normal overtime tends to be time and a half (so if making $8/hour, overtime would be $12/hour), although I've heard of some places they add $1-2 to pay/hour instead of time and a half. On the other hand, other places do not allow any overtime.

If offered full-time hours, they may offer health insurance, 401K's and some matching of contributions, and other benefits, too. Companies over a certain size (ex. # of employees) are required to offer health insurance, but you must stay over a minimum number of hours on average. (When I worked at Walmart years ago, I believe 32 hours was the minimum average). That's why it can be important if they offer 30 something hours, if you are hoping for health coverage, to ask if they would be able to provide consistent hours to qualify for their health coverage, if needed.

Good luck! You've got this!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I really thought my mood would pick up now that the apartment is clean. It did, but only briefly. I hate my brain. I hate it so much.
What's the next little thing you can do that would help your mood? Maybe you can string together a few small things? :grouphug2:

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well it turns out that my missing coworker just decided to disappear to be dramatic and get attention. She was perfectly safe and fine at a trailer park across from the hospital we work at the whole time. According to her aunt she's a compulsive liar and attention seeker. I mean, glad she's not dead in a ditch somewhere or getting used by traffickers, but what a btch. Hope she gets a wake up call and grows up because putting her family through that just for the attention is messed up.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
People are crazy.
So, Aedan can use silverware and drink of cups without spilling. He has great gross and fine motor skills - very advanced according to the person who evaluated him the other day. But, he barely talks. Which is why I had him evaluated. I guess the first person was the pre-evaluater and someone else will be doing the real evaluation to see if he qualifies for an early intervention program. The pediatrician said he should have around 50 words by now, and he doesn't. Personally, I think it's stubborness. He communicates his needs and wants very well without words, so I think he just doesn't see the point in using them. And there's no power on earth that's gonna get that boy to do anything he doesn't want to do. I've never met a more hard-headed child in my life. But I'm still having him evaluated because if he does need help, I want him to have it.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well it turns out that my missing coworker just decided to disappear to be dramatic and get attention. She was perfectly safe and fine at a trailer park across from the hospital we work at the whole time. According to her aunt she's a compulsive liar and attention seeker. I mean, glad she's not dead in a ditch somewhere or getting used by traffickers, but what a btch. Hope she gets a wake up call and grows up because putting her family through that just for the attention is messed up.
Unfortunately, it's the boy who cried wolf.
One day she will be in trouble,and no one will come to help.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
People are crazy.
So, Aedan can use silverware and drink of cups without spilling. He has great gross and fine motor skills - very advanced according to the person who evaluated him the other day. But, he barely talks. Which is why I had him evaluated. I guess the first person was the pre-evaluater and someone else will be doing the real evaluation to see if he qualifies for an early intervention program. The pediatrician said he should have around 50 words by now, and he doesn't. Personally, I think it's stubborness. He communicates his needs and wants very well without words, so I think he just doesn't see the point in using them. And there's no power on earth that's gonna get that boy to do anything he doesn't want to do. I've never met a more hard-headed child in my life. But I'm still having him evaluated because if he does need help, I want him to have it.
[/QUOTE

Could he have a hearing problem? I'm certain they've checked for that but just wondered if you've noticed anything?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know a girl who didn't speak until she was 4. They sent her to speech therapy and everything, and she wouldn't even talk for the therapist. They did all the tests and everything. And then when she was 4 she started talking like any other 4-year-old and that was that. She's 16 now and seems to be just fine! So hopefully that's all that's going on with Aedan too.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He was checked as a newborn and he seems to hear just fine. He can follow instructions and responds to us. But he is getting a hearing evaluation, too. Just to make sure he doesn't have slight hearing loss or anything.
If it's nothing medical, savor the moment. Because once they start talking, they never shut up.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Personally, I think it's stubborness. He communicates his needs and wants very well without words, so I think he just doesn't see the point in using them.
You may be right. When I was that age, one of my playmates was non-verbal. None of the doctors could find anything wrong. His first words, my mom told me much later, were when his dad came back from a mission (his father and mine were Air Force pilots). His dad walked up to him at the airfield, and he looked up and said, clear as a bell, "You go to H***, Buck Elton!" Apparently, he was NOT happy that his dad had been gone! Or maybe it was a case of the apple not falling far from the tree! Buck Sr. was something else.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe Aedan is just very introverted and just isn't comfortable with talking? I hardly talked when I was growing up because I was extremely introverted. The world was too big and scary and overwhelming for me to cope with so I basically just tuned everything out as best as I could.

Status
Not open for further replies.