The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
I was at a store yesterday (Smart & Final but it may have a different name elsewhere) and they had not only their store brand (First Street) TP but also lots of something called "Virtue" in huge packages, 20 rolls to a package, and there was a limit of 2 instead of the usual 1, so I grabbed 2 and called my DIL to get some for herself. I asked the cashier about that, she said they had gotten a huge amount of it and no place to store it so it had to go asap. They put it right at the front doors so people could not miss it.
There is only one store in Reno although there were many in SoCal, when I lived in WA it was there under a different name which I can't recall. There it was like a warehouse store, bring your own box/bag and the packages were really big (6 cans of chili in one package, 3 boxes of chicken broth per package and huge cans of beans, veggies and fruit fit for a restaurant or an institution or a really large family) while the ones here and in SoCal are like a regular store that also carries large sizes.
Now I hear Trump wants to have people under 40 to go back to work so that the economy will pick up again. He is more concerned about money and how to make himself look good than about the health of people, unbelievable. I am waiting for him to start firing people in droves again because they do not agree with his ignorant views. He makes up things from some tidbit he heard or was told and puts it out as gospel truth and some people who can't see past their nose just gobble it up. Can any intelligent person at this time doubt that there must be something wrong with the way he thinks? Ok, off my soap box.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ow! Tape it to the next toe if it hurts, that's all the doctors do anyway.

I'm watching the Sioux City news (I usually watch the Sioux Falls news) and when the newscasters introduced themselves I thought the woman said her name was "Jet-ski". I looked her up, her name is Jetske and I don't want to make fun because her parents didn't speak a lot of English so I don't know if that's a traditional name in their language or if they just liked how it sounded and maybe didn't know what it meant. But I bet she gets a lot of double-takes whenever she introduces herself, just like I did a double-take.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought I had some medical tape, but I didn't find it in my first aid kit. It's a dull pain unless I touch it or walk. Then it REALLY hurts. But I'll survive. I'll have John pick up some medical tape the next time he needs to go to the store, which won't be for a while. He's only going for necessities and we're good for the time being.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
How big are your aquariums, I suppose you have more than one? Is it or are they on a stand with legs? If you have more than one perhaps you could put them in different places? If it is just one big one you might want to find out where the studs are in your floor, a stud finder can tell you that, you might borrow one from some guy who is into fixing things. Once you know where the studs are you can go to Home Depot or Lowe's or some place that sells lumber and buy some solid boards , at least 1 inch thick, no plywood, that are long enough to reach across where the studs are and the length of your tank or stand, then put the aquarium or the stand on top of those boards. In essence what you are doing is reenforcing the floor or if there is a stand with legs involved you would be distributing the weight over a larger area. Hope this helps.
This is my current setup. It's a 40 gallon and a 5.5 gallon. I had nowhere else to put the 40 gallon and no proper stand for it. I thought the current one would be fine but the weight is centered instead of evenly distributed across the floor which is why I think the floor is sagging. As you can see, this particular stand, the legs turn inwards instead of out.
15851091090485886206602200155061.jpg

_ . __ . __ . __ . __ . __ . __ . __ . __ . __ . _

I got a 7 pack of canvases the other day for 15% off at Michael's because one of the canvases was damaged.
I patched it up with a piece of white jeans fabric, weldbond glue, a palette knife, and gesso. You can't tell it was ever damaged except for the glued on fabric on the back.
1585109668743.jpg

I finally decided to start my next painting on it tonight and this is the result so far. Not done, this is just the background.
15851097460758591309548620004082.jpg

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Im trying to hang in there..
how are things with you and your family? How is Snowball?

Graceful-Lily Graceful-Lily wow your carpet plants (is that the correct name for those?) look good!

On my mind is that right at the moment, things seem to be ok around here. Both my fishy boys are making bubble nests and the cat is napping :)

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wondering what I should do about summer opportunities. Realized I will need to cancel my Illinois insurance, if not a resident, and then it may take a few months to start a new one in a new state... Many of the jobs I've been accepted for are considered essential, so they would still start on time and are working in the field right now. Great for job security, but what if I get sick after moving to a new state and am in insurance limbo? If there was not a pandemic, it would not be as concerning, but there is...

I have one asking follow up about a job I accepted and two more are awaiting to see if I accept, and it is challenging to make a decision at this time... I feel like I've worked so hard during school and I know one summer not working in my field won't take away all my hard work, but feel like I should be. And none of these jobs so far would offer healthcare...

has anyone else been in this position? What have you done and what were the details of the situation?

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
This is my current setup. It's a 40 gallon and a 5.5 gallon. I had nowhere else to put the 40 gallon and no proper stand for it. I thought the current one would be fine but the weight is centered instead of evenly distributed across the floor which is why I think the floor is sagging. As you can see, this particular stand, the legs turn inwards instead of out.
View attachment 327690

_ . __ . __ . __ . __ . __ . __ . __ . __ . __ . _

I got a 7 pack of canvases the other day for 15% off at Michael's because one of the canvases was damaged.
I patched it up with a piece of white jeans fabric, weldbond glue, a palette knife, and gesso. You can't tell it was ever damaged except for the glued on fabric on the back.
View attachment 327692

I finally decided to start my next painting on it tonight and this is the result so far. Not done, this is just the background.
View attachment 327693
I tried to send you a personal message which was rather long about your aquarium set-up but it would not let me do that. Any reason for that?

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Pretty sure I broke my toe. I dropped my metal water bottle on it. It was full. My toe is quite colorful. Not going to the doctor. They can't do anything for a broken toe anyway and who knows what kind of germs I'd run into. View attachment 327683View attachment 327684
Yep that's what mine looked like. Taped it and still not healed 6 months later but yea they can't do anything about a broke toe. Toe next it is still bruised after 15 years.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is a 25% tip for a $20-ish Uber ride acceptable / typical? I'm trying to figure out why my 5 star rating dropped to 4.88 after two rides the other day :headscratch: Was the tip too low? I can't figure out what I might have done to garner a low rating from one or both of the drivers. I got into the car as soon as it drove up, after checking to make sure the license plate matched what was on the app. I greeted the driver pleasantly and gave the security PIN to start the ride. I used the seat belt. I didn't slam the door. One driver asked if I had a preference for how to get to my destination but I didn't. Other than that neither driver tried to make conversation and the ride was fine. I thanked the drivers when I got out and rated them 5 stars and tipped them. I'm :confused2: at what I might have done to get a low rating. The Uber help page isn't helpful, just common sense tips on how to be a 5 star rider.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is a 25% tip for a $20-ish Uber ride acceptable / typical? I'm trying to figure out why my 5 star rating dropped to 4.88 after two rides the other day :headscratch: Was the tip too low? I can't figure out what I might have done to garner a low rating from one or both of the drivers. I got into the car as soon as it drove up, after checking to make sure the license plate matched what was on the app. I greeted the driver pleasantly and gave the security PIN to start the ride. I used the seat belt. I didn't slam the door. One driver asked if I had a preference for how to get to my destination but I didn't. Other than that neither driver tried to make conversation and the ride was fine. I thanked the drivers when I got out and rated them 5 stars and tipped them. I'm :confused2: at what I might have done to get a low rating. The Uber help page isn't helpful, just common sense tips on how to be a 5 star rider.
What, you get rated as a passenger?? Never used uber for myself, so not sure, but 25 % tip sounds like a great amount! I was taught to tip 10-20%, so 25% if you were happy with the service makes sense.

I did use a ride service like that on vacation in Florida, and it was completely frustrating. The driver did not make sure all the seat belts were accessible with how many people we had (enter in the app how many passengers there will be) and started driving as soon as my family closed the doors of the vehicle. I had to pull down the cloth protector covering the seats to access the middle seatbelt. The driver didn't care when I told him to not drive yet because I didn't have my seat belt on yet and kept driving. He made no effort to advise me on how to access the seat belt. Grrrrrr! Safety is important!

Status
Not open for further replies.