The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is always so interesting when finding out your traditions or norms are so different than others. Feels so weird. It wasn't until my late 20's I discovered people peel oranges as opposed to cut them in 4's. My boyfriend at the time peeled oranges. Thought it was the strangest thing, but he said so many people did it. I didn't believe him and affectionately teased him about it, but then at work one day we were in the breakroom taking a break together and one of my coworkers was peeling an orange. It surprised me and said, you are right, other people do do this. 🤣
I grew up a peeler and still do for myself.

But when we would get oranges for my students in their snacks or lunches, I quickly became a cut them in four person as well because I was not peeling 20 oranges for preschoolers! :lol:

ZombieTiger

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My apartment contact just replied to the message I sent her about me losing all my keys. She's lazier than me. I've been waiting at least 2 hours for a reply, maybe three. Who knew people like that existed?

(Un-Ironically, she won't find the extra keys until tomorrow evening).

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
View attachment 363198

It came with it's own star, but I had to replace it with the one we've always used. So the tree is brand new, the star and the weird santa thing close to it is at least 40 years old.

Edit: changed pic.
Love it! Especially how big the star is compared to size of the tree, yet it fits each other so well.

Aye, but there's something weird about the cutting vs peeling oranges thing. I have a nephew that grew up with oranges beeing peeled and not cut, yet he asked everyone a couple of months ago whether peeling or cutting was the normal thing to do. :lol:

Sorry about the piratey English btw.
Wonder if he felt the same shock as me. Maybe he is questioning his technique, haha. Nice to hear others share similar shock about this. :)

I grew up a peeler and still do for myself.

But when we would get oranges for my students in their snacks or lunches, I quickly became a cut them in four person as well because I was not peeling 20 oranges for preschoolers! :lol:
Yes, peeling 20 oranges does sound like quite the task! Nice to hear you have changed sides, at least at times. ;)

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What does this mean? Baking pies??? What kind??? Best of luck with all your tasks!
Yep. I always do at least 2 apple pies because they are my stepdad’s favorite. DS can’t eat apples so he needs a pumpkin. Sometimes I also do a cheesecake; but my mom already made a blackberry one.

I’m in the middle of making Christmas corsages for my vintage loving BFF. The 40s and 50s are her favorite decades and where she gets her influence for a lot of her clothing designs. I haven’t done anything floral in YEARS. They are simple to do but my hands are aching. I’m using silk flowers so I have to use wire cutters. 🤪

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Love it! Especially how big the star is compared to size of the tree, yet it fits each other so well.

Wonder if he felt the same shock as me. Maybe he is questioning his technique, haha. Nice to hear others share similar shock about this. :)

Yes, peeling 20 oranges does sound like quite the task! Nice to hear you have changed sides, at least at times. ;)
I will always cut an orange, but peel a clementine/tangerine!
I am continually shocked by the fact that some people eat kiwis out of the skin with a spoon as if they were eggs (which is already weird enough...)
1608686903753.png
1608686925191.png

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I finished BFF’s presents. I’ll drop them on her doorstep tomorrow with a box of cookies. They turned out huge. But I could only find big flowers at Walmart. If I had more time I would have gone with smaller ones. I also couldn’t find a gold ribbon that I loved.

I made 4 altogether. Now lets see if she manages to wear them! 😅

8C07E1D7-2AB5-4780-87FB-D3CC090900DA.jpeg
4C301F59-FC6E-44F1-A7AF-4956D9178C35.jpeg
B964AA74-D53D-40A5-8B9B-7FDFA8FC75AE.jpeg
21A8A13C-93FD-4A52-978E-E334CF942432.jpeg

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am continually shocked by the fact that some people eat kiwis out of the skin with a spoon as if they were eggs (which is already weird enough...)
View attachment 363267 View attachment 363268
Okay, so, I grew up peeling kiwis as well (I guess we were a peeling family), and then I started cutting them in half and eating them with a spoon, and now I'm to the point where I cut them in four and eat them like a cut orange. But still peel oranges for myself.

I'm so weird.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't eat an egg like that, lol. Do you peel kiwis? They're always so hard to peel, it just seems like too much work. I've heard some people eat the skin, which just gives me the weebie-jeebies.

With oranges, I'll try to peel them, but if they give me too much trouble they get whacked!

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't eat an egg like that, lol. Do you peel kiwis? They're always so hard to peel, it just seems like too much work. I've heard some people eat the skin, which just gives me the weebie-jeebies.

With oranges, I'll try to peel them, but if they give me too much trouble they get whacked!
I eat soft-boiled eggs like that. I like to dip buttered toast in the runny middle.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I eat soft-boiled eggs like that. I like to dip buttered toast in the runny middle.
Oooh yes that’s delish! :yummy: DH cannot stand any food that might have a germ in it. He always pops the yolk when he fries an egg. But man I love dipping my toast in a runny egg yolk! My dad makes awesome eggs like that.

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay, so, I grew up peeling kiwis as well (I guess we were a peeling family), and then I started cutting them in half and eating them with a spoon, and now I'm to the point where I cut them in four and eat them like a cut orange. But still peel oranges for myself.
I always used a knife to take off the skin and then slice them so I get the pretty rounds.
1608709859502.png
<--like this (not my picture)

The only way I eat soft-boiled eggs is in ramen, really. We were never a household to do this kind of thing, it always seemed *european* aka Fancy, because you need the little stand and spoon and it just seems very *proper*. I'm an uncultured American though, I get self-conscious using knives around my European friends because they seem so much more proper in their usage. I just hack at things and scoop. I do love a runny yolk, but it would be coming from a fried egg generally.

ZombieTiger

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My apartment contact just replied to the message I sent her about me losing all my keys. She's lazier than me. I've been waiting at least 2 hours for a reply, maybe three. Who knew people like that existed?

(Un-Ironically, she won't find the extra keys until tomorrow evening).
Haha, found the keys! They were in the bathroom for some reason.

And while the apartment lady is lazy, she's a lovely person.☺

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Guess I'm one of those people who eat kiwis "like an egg..." :biggrin: Don't eat them too often, but Lari Lari comment about cutting them and eating them like an orange, which seems like a convenient strategy. Never though of that as they are so small, but the technique seems very easy.

Although, I've never eaten an egg like that. I'm an egg peeler for hard boiled eggs.

I finished BFF’s presents. I’ll drop them on her doorstep tomorrow with a box of cookies. They turned out huge. But I could only find big flowers at Walmart. If I had more time I would have gone with smaller ones. I also couldn’t find a gold ribbon that I loved.

I made 4 altogether. Now lets see if she manages to wear them! 😅

View attachment 363273View attachment 363274View attachment 363275View attachment 363276
I'm in love with the 1st one as the red an gold compliment each other so well and the 3rd one with the icicle twigs. Very enchanting looking with the frozenness! They all look very artistic. You're very talented!

🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤 making me huuuuuuuungry, love me some toast dipped in warm egg yolk. When at a restaurant and it comes with sides, love having hashbrowns with egg yolk on them, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.