The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm majoring in Industrial Design. As of right now, there is nothing else I see myself doing professionally.

The teacher told me I need to manage my time better but I'm not sure how much better it can get. I've been trying for the past 10 weeks and no matter what I do or how I change my schedule, the same outcome still remains. There just isn't enough time in the day. Even on the weekends, I work on homework from 9am to 10pm and I still end up not finishing everything.

There is a group chat but I don't fit in. I try but I feel like I'm bothering people. I often get ignored. I've been trying to spend time with others but they make me feel like I'm begging.
That is very difficult major. Would you consider moving to the US?
The Best Industrial Design Schools in the U.S. || The Art Career Project

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
So cold here...a damp cold that goes right through you. I'm thinking back to my days of living in
Ft. Lauderdale, with the sun, breezes, warm sand, beaches, and yes, lots of humidity but you
can't have everything. But there was one week in winter, don't remember the year, that we had
temps in the 20s for five days.My parents overnighted my electric blanket and flannel nightgowns.
In the house where I was living, the heating wasn't working so I bought a space heater. One
of the coldest times I can remember ever but only a brief time. Cal is snuggling with me at
night. She wouldn't go out for 2 days but finally wanted out for a bit. I put a warm towel from
the dryer on the deck so she could scope out the situation. One of the things I do like is not
hearing the sounds of lawn mowers, weed eaters, chainsaws, etc. Bliss:)

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That reminds me... my last name is Irish and I've been contemplating keeping it even when I get married because I am proud of my Irish ancestors.
Go for it! My sister changed her name because it was more important for her to have the same name as her future children. I kept mine because it was such an integral part of my identity. Whatever decision you make, as long as it's right for you, is fine.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
That is very difficult major. Would you consider moving to the US?
The Best Industrial Design Schools in the U.S. || The Art Career Project
I've thought about it but I'm very comfortable in Canada. The thought of living in any other country gives me a lot of anxiety. Even on vacations to other countries, I feel very trapped and want to come back to Canada almost immediately.

Well, the week is over and we only have 4 more weeks left. I might as well power through.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had more luck on my fathers side, but not much. I had traced my grandmother to her parents who immigrated from Germany, then hit a roadblock. My grandfather's side to England, then it seemed to stop.
On my mother's side, I didn't get too far. Indians weren't known for keeping accurate records with the government and Seminole's hated the government. Once white man came, the bloodline gets muddied. Seminole's took in some whites and runaway slaves, so there is really no 'one bloodline' for our tribe. I could have a little African, English or another Indian mixed in and it's all called Seminole. Which is why we all look different.
My uncle looks mostly black, my aunt looks Indian and my mom looks white,and they were from the same mother. (my grandfather had several wives)

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I traced my grandpa's line all the way back to the first American settler.
1573840165542.png

I can't go further than that because Ancestry wants money to let me access worldwide records. So rude! So I guess I'll start tracking other grandparents. See what else I've got in me. So far I've proven English and Swedish. I know my grandpa has some Indian blood, but I don't know where or how far back. It might be her:
1573840287013.png

That sounds kinda Indian, right? I'm new to this.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1573842068486.png

My grandma told me a story about this guy! When he came to America, there were a lot of Swedes immigrating and Johanson was a very common last name. So, the officials were asking families to voluntarily change their last names to avoid some of the confusion. He stepped up and said, "Well, I'm a young man, so we'll be Youngman."

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I knew someone who started looking into her family tree. Her maiden name was MacGregor. So it was assumed they were of Scottish heritage. Nope, full German. Apparently their last name was Gregor and the guy in charge of writing it down at Ellis Island didn't think that sounded right so he wrote MacGregor and I guess they just went along with it.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I traced my grandpa's line all the way back to the first American settler.
View attachment 307932
I can't go further than that because Ancestry wants money to let me access worldwide records. So rude! So I guess I'll start tracking other grandparents. See what else I've got in me. So far I've proven English and Swedish. I know my grandpa has some Indian blood, but I don't know where or how far back. It might be her:
View attachment 307933

That sounds kinda Indian, right? I'm new to this.
Could be. Missouri (the state) is Souix for having to do with canoes. Can't remember what exactly.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's a little confusing because her name is different in a lot of records, but a lot of Indians chose or were forced to adopt "white" names. The birth date and name of her spouse matches up with each name, though.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, I've been gone for four days, and BOY has a lot happened. I did catch up reading, but can't being to comment on everything, I'm still a bit shaky. HOWEVER...

Yes, he is right now.
Awww, Darlin, my heart just breaks for you and your family. I am so, SO very sorry about this.

Could be. Missouri (the state) is Souix for having to do with canoes. Can't remember what exactly.
Either, "wooden canoe people" or "he of the big canoe." Those are the closest literal translations (phonetic, of course).

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 What happened? Were you in hospital?
No, I just had a really miserable tummy virus. I seriously considered taking a pillow and blanket into the bathroom, and just camping there, but getting up off the floor every 10 minutes was too much work. I slept in my recliner, which I can get out of faster, and is just as close to the necessary as my bed is. I'm fine now, still tired from all the lost sleep, but NOT sick at all!

It's very November here today. Gray, chilly, and lots of wind.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I just had a really miserable tummy virus. I seriously considered taking a pillow and blanket into the bathroom, and just camping there, but getting up off the floor every 10 minutes was too much work. I slept in my recliner, which I can get out of faster, and is just as close to the necessary as my bed is. I'm fine now, still tired from all the lost sleep, but NOT sick at all!

It's very November here today. Gray, chilly, and lots of wind.
I'm so sorry! I hate intestinal viruses.

I had one a few years ago and I thought I was going to die, it was so bad. Went to the hospital and they couldn't even help me. Told me I had to ride it out.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you're feeling better!
So, this Ancestry thing might not be as much of a long shot as I thought it would be. I found a 2nd or 3rd cousin who I can't link to my grandma or grandpa. Which means there's a good chance he's related to my father. 2nd or 3rd for me means 1st or 2nd for him. His profile is managed by his girlfriend's brother. He's passing my e-mail address onto this cousin. So now I wait.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
The last living survivor of the Hindenburg disaster just died. His name was Werner Doehner, and he was eight years old at the time.

Every time I see the disaster footage, I marvel at the fact that *anyone* survived that.
I didn't know anyone survived. Thank you for the update.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you're feeling better!
So, this Ancestry thing might not be as much of a long shot as I thought it would be. I found a 2nd or 3rd cousin who I can't link to my grandma or grandpa. Which means there's a good chance he's related to my father. 2nd or 3rd for me means 1st or 2nd for him. His profile is managed by his girlfriend's brother. He's passing my e-mail address onto this cousin. So now I wait.
So you had the DNA test first? How did you go about tracing your ancestors from the test? Sounds so complicated since you don't
know anything about dad but now you may get some answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.