The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm really getting discouraged by this program and I feel like dropping out.
No matter how I manage my time, I always end up staying up super late and this amount of sleep deprivation is starting to affect my mental and physical health. It is now 5am and I haven't gotten a wink of sleep. I've been up for almost 24 hours straight and will have to do at least another 12 - 16 hours because I have so many assignments to complete.
Maybe if I had no pets and no life outside of school, I could somewhat manage but that is not the case obviously.
Why does school have to be set up this way? Why is lack of sleep glorified in post secondary education so much. The teachers joke about it like it's a normal and healthy thing. Being so sleep deprived that your cognitive function starts to stagger and you almost get hit by a car you swore wasn't there a second ago is neither normal or healthy.

I'm really asking myself if all this stress is really worth it in the long run. Yeah, I'll graduate in 4 years but my health will suffer and I'm not even guaranteed a job. Especially being a female of colour. It just feels like all odds are against me.
Is there a way you could speak with someone in charge of the program and tell them what's going on? I'm sure
they would work with you. :hugs:

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there a way you could speak with someone in charge of the program and tell them what's going on? I'm sure
they would work with you. :hugs:
I did already but they couldn't give me any useful advice. They told me I could drop my elective and take it in the summer but that will not affect my course load since I barely get homework from my elective class.

So, basically, their options are to suck it up or drop out and find something else to do. Not very encouraging.

It's gotten to the point where I'm contemplating all the responsibilities I have in my life. I don't want to give them up and become a slave to school but I don't know how else to get work done. I'm stretched so thin.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh, that's so frustrating. You were so excited when you started the program, too. I guess the only thing dropping the elective would do is free up the hours you're actually in class to be able to do other things.

I hate the push to being so productive that mental health suffers. There's starting to be a push back to a work-life balance, but it's not there yet.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh, that's so frustrating. You were so excited when you started the program, too. I guess the only thing dropping the elective would do is free up the hours you're actually in class to be able to do other things.

I hate the push to being so productive that mental health suffers. There's starting to be a push back to a work-life balance, but it's not there yet.
Exactly!

And this college is so much more strict so there is more pressure to get things done on time. If I don't hand something in, it's marked out of 30% instead of 100% and it has to be in the next day by 4pm or else I get a 0. At my other college, you'd lose about 3% - 5% a day depending on the instructor. At my old college, they were much more reasonable which is why I had almost no stress going there. If I had a problem, I could explain and they'd understand. But the program I'm in now? You try to explain and they tell you that everyone is in the same boat so you better change something and start pulling ahead. I'm a human being at the end of the day. There are limits to my abilities. I can't be expected to function at full capacity 24/7. I need food and I definitely need sleep. And if you don't hand stuff in on time, the teacher will call you out in front of everyone and use you as the sacrificial lamb. I'm tired of it. I'm not "slacking" I genuinely have no time.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My sister called with horrible news. Shane's tumor is growing again. They're not doing the next surgery - they've been trying to fuse the bones that were eaten away by the tumor - and starting radiation right away. If it doesn't start shrinking the tumor, they say he has 2 months. And they said they can't completely get rid of it. They can just give him pills to slow the growth and prolong his life.
Oh no. I'm so sorry. Poor Shane. This is awful. Hopefully the radiation will be able to help. Please send him my love.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He also threatened to throw a piece of wood at me if I fell asleep again. Which he already did to one student... it hit him in the face almost.
Whoa now. That sounds like something the (dean? Not sure who's in charge) needs to know about. That's assault. No reason to let that pass. Yes, be "that student" if you have to be.

I had one job with a split shift that really messed up my sleeping times. Sleep deprivation is the worst. I hope you can figure out something that helps you free up a little more time.

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I will not imprint on fatherly men like some lonely duckling. I will imprint on fatherly men like some lonely duckling. I will not imprint on fatherly men like some lonely duckling. I WILL NOT IMPRINT ON FATHERLY MEN LIKE SOME LONELY DUCKLING

Fatherly security guard: "I'm proud of you kid."

Me:
giphy (16).gif

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
I will not imprint on fatherly men like some lonely duckling. I will imprint on fatherly men like some lonely duckling. I will not imprint on fatherly men like some lonely duckling. I WILL NOT IMPRINT ON FATHERLY MEN LIKE SOME LONELY DUCKLING

Fatherly security guard: "I'm proud of you kid."

Me:
View attachment 307620
LMAO!!!!! Made my day!! :hyper::lol2::flail:

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
My sister called with horrible news. Shane's tumor is growing again. They're not doing the next surgery - they've been trying to fuse the bones that were eaten away by the tumor - and starting radiation right away. If it doesn't start shrinking the tumor, they say he has 2 months. And they said they can't completely get rid of it. They can just give him pills to slow the growth and prolong his life.
Oh my!! Sad news indeed. Is he at home?

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Graceful-Lily Graceful-Lily What are you majoring in? Is there anything else you would be interested in doing? The caseload you have is way too draining for you. You must sleep, our bodies need sleep. Maybe you could do your homework with others from your major? Would that ease some of the stress? :alright:

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Graceful-Lily Graceful-Lily What are you majoring in? Is there anything else you would be interested in doing? The caseload you have is way too draining for you. You must sleep, our bodies need sleep. Maybe you could do your homework with others from your major? Would that ease some of the stress? :alright:
I'm majoring in Industrial Design. As of right now, there is nothing else I see myself doing professionally.

The teacher told me I need to manage my time better but I'm not sure how much better it can get. I've been trying for the past 10 weeks and no matter what I do or how I change my schedule, the same outcome still remains. There just isn't enough time in the day. Even on the weekends, I work on homework from 9am to 10pm and I still end up not finishing everything.

There is a group chat but I don't fit in. I try but I feel like I'm bothering people. I often get ignored. I've been trying to spend time with others but they make me feel like I'm begging.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, less depressing things on my mind. While I wait for my DNA results, I've been playing with my family tree. I've tracked my grandma's ancestors back to the first immigrants from Sweden. I even found a written account of their first years in America. This is quickly becoming an addiction.

Status
Not open for further replies.