The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sister had one last year and it was $2,000.00
$2,000 might be doable when I get a job.

bone graft, at the same time. This was the hardest part, and the most painful. But I got through it.
I didn't know about all the extra steps, like the bone grafting. Maybe I'll just get my 2 rotten teeth pulled and eventually get dentures. I know I'll hate gluing them in everyday though. How do guys react when you are relatively young and say you have dentures? Life is so hard sometimes....

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
$2,000 might be doable when I get a job.

I didn't know about all the extra steps, like the bone grafting. Maybe I'll just get my 2 rotten teeth pulled and eventually get dentures. I know I'll hate gluing them in everyday though. How do guys react when you are relatively young and say you have dentures? Life is so hard sometimes....
Life IS hard. Remember what Waylon's daddy said in "Where Corn Don't Grow".
My second ex's mom had dentures at 20. People thought she was gorgeous and she had no trouble finding a guy. They were married until he passed, and had 6 kids.
You're not facing that problem, though. You have "a couple" of teeth that may need some work. Get it if at all possible, and then take the best care you can of your oral hygiene. Getting teeth pulled isn't a great idea, because the other teeth shift around to try to fill that gap, creating other problems. If you must have any pulled, make sure you get a bridge in there. Health comes through the mouth, as it's where we eat and drink. If your mouth is healthy, there's a far better chance that you will be healthy. Even though I have to be very careful financially, I make SURE I get my teeth cleaned twice a year (normal for adults with no problems) and I use a good electric toothbrush and floss.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Obviously this was long after my root canal was done. I'm not even sure this dentist got the whole root.
Well, the root canal has been around in some form or another since the 1700's, but was really perfected and made safe in the early 50's, which is about I heard the story. I couldn't have been more than 6 or 7, so I heard about it in the late 50's.

I had a really weird dream last night. There was a rattlesnake in my living room. Between me and Aedan. But all three cats were between Aedan and the snake. And then Connor pounced. And snakey died.
It seems that your subconscious knows that your cats are partners in protecting your family!

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, the root canal has been around in some form or another since the 1700's, but was really perfected and made safe in the early 50's, which is about I heard the story. I couldn't have been more than 6 or 7, so I heard about it in the late 50's.

It seems that your subconscious knows that your cats are partners in protecting your family!
Yep. And cats are very good hunters. Even against venomous snakes. They're quick and agile. It's just weird that my brain went to that scenario. It reminded me of a story from a friend, though. She was living in the desert and she had a cat and a son. A scorpion somehow got in and it went for the kid. Her cat took it out.

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Teddy's paws are so much better than they were before and he isn't chewing them raw anymore. I'm so happy we're getting closer to clearing up his dermititis, even though he now has rod shaped bacteria and is taking a new oral med and also a topical one. It's still progress because they aren't getting worse.

Also happy that Finny passed his physical exam with flying colors. Vet said he's a very healthy cat. Nico was already having a hundred health problems at their age so simply hearing that Finny's heart sounded great was the best news ever. I am determined to keep it that way.

Also they are now eating the ziwipeak air dried. After blood, sweat and many tears I have finally won the battle!

Unfortunately they seemed to have lost interest in Rawz pate. Really the only thing from Rawz they seem to want is the chicken and tuna shreds. Like c'mon man, I have a whole bunch of pate cans to get through and we don't have a lot of gumless options :gaah:Lol

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Getting teeth pulled isn't a great idea, because the other teeth shift around to try to fill that gap, creating other problems. If you must have any pulled, make sure you get a bridge in there.
I didn't know this. Thanks for the info.

I had a really weird dream last night. There was a rattlesnake in my living room.
That's my ultimate nightmare, poisonous snakes. :fear:

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
As you all know I had finally moved to Reno and moving into my new permanent home on Oct 1. I got here on Aug 2 and on Aug 4 Chamouti, my 14 year old Mane Coon, got spooked, ran out the door into the backyard of my son's house and after trying 4 times to scale a 6 ft fence finally got over it and disappeared. I looked and called all over for him but there was no sign of him. Just having arrived here I was afraid that he might be trying to return to his old home over 600 miles from here. I put up posters everywhere I could, informed the shelters and ASPCA and Home Again where his chip is registered, posted him on Lost and Found Pets on Facebook and CraigsList and hoped. A couple of people messaged me with good advice but I had already done all of those things. Then one lady left me a VM saying she could help me find my cat and that she had helped others find their cats for the last 5 years with great success but of course could not guarantee results. I called her back and after discussing my loss and that by now Chamouti was already gone 6 weeks she said that indoor cats are just scared and hide within 500 feet and the best thing would be to set traps. She does not charge anything for her services, she does it for the good of the cats and their community. She brought over 2 traps, they were baited with canned catfood, a blanket was put over the traps and grass and brush put on top. The food was replaced twice a day. After 2 days a black neighborhood cat was trapped, the next day a grey one with white paws that also lived close by and then a raccoon 2 days later. Of course all were released. The next evening around 8 a big bright orange cat was in the trap which looked a lot like Chamouti but I could not be sure so we went to an emergency veterinary clinic to have its chip read and sure enough it was my fur baby. He had lost some weight but otherwise was in great shape, no fleas, ear mites or scrapes or bites, just two medium sized mats on his back and no collar. He was surprisingly clean and dove into the food bowl once I got him home, eating, drinking and using the LitterRobot all night off and on as if he had never left home, otherwise just curled up back in his usual place above my head to sleep. The clinic did not charge anything for reading the chip, they were so surprised that anyone would go through all this trouble just to get their cat back that they could not see any justification in charging anything just to verify a cat's microchip. I suppose this is not really surprising as cats are not very valued here and are mostly regarded as vermin and feral cats are exterminated every so often. There is no cat club here although there are cat shows every so often, I will have to start one. I am just so happy that Chamouti is home again and will recommend trying to trap a cat if someone has an escapee, nothing else worked and the trap caught him within a week.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My former feral barn kitty whom I got in 2008 has FINALLY discovered that my bed is safe and snuggly as of this week!
Yay! It's wonderful when they snuggle. :catlove:

The next evening around 8 a big bright orange cat was in the trap which looked a lot like Chamouti but I could not be sure so we went to an emergency veterinary clinic to have its chip read and sure enough it was my fur baby.
Wow, so glad you got Chamouti back. :cheerleader:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
As you all know I had finally moved to Reno and moving into my new permanent home on Oct 1. I got here on Aug 2 and on Aug 4 Chamouti, my 14 year old Mane Coon, got spooked, ran out the door into the backyard of my son's house and after trying 4 times to scale a 6 ft fence finally got over it and disappeared. I looked and called all over for him but there was no sign of him. Just having arrived here I was afraid that he might be trying to return to his old home over 600 miles from here. I put up posters everywhere I could, informed the shelters and ASPCA and Home Again where his chip is registered, posted him on Lost and Found Pets on Facebook and CraigsList and hoped. A couple of people messaged me with good advice but I had already done all of those things. Then one lady left me a VM saying she could help me find my cat and that she had helped others find their cats for the last 5 years with great success but of course could not guarantee results. I called her back and after discussing my loss and that by now Chamouti was already gone 6 weeks she said that indoor cats are just scared and hide within 500 feet and the best thing would be to set traps. She does not charge anything for her services, she does it for the good of the cats and their community. She brought over 2 traps, they were baited with canned catfood, a blanket was put over the traps and grass and brush put on top. The food was replaced twice a day. After 2 days a black neighborhood cat was trapped, the next day a grey one with white paws that also lived close by and then a raccoon 2 days later. Of course all were released. The next evening around 8 a big bright orange cat was in the trap which looked a lot like Chamouti but I could not be sure so we went to an emergency veterinary clinic to have its chip read and sure enough it was my fur baby. He had lost some weight but otherwise was in great shape, no fleas, ear mites or scrapes or bites, just two medium sized mats on his back and no collar. He was surprisingly clean and dove into the food bowl once I got him home, eating, drinking and using the LitterRobot all night off and on as if he had never left home, otherwise just curled up back in his usual place above my head to sleep. The clinic did not charge anything for reading the chip, they were so surprised that anyone would go through all this trouble just to get their cat back that they could not see any justification in charging anything just to verify a cat's microchip. I suppose this is not really surprising as cats are not very valued here and are mostly regarded as vermin and feral cats are exterminated every so often. There is no cat club here although there are cat shows every so often, I will have to start one. I am just so happy that Chamouti is home again and will recommend trying to trap a cat if someone has an escapee, nothing else worked and the trap caught him within a week.
That is so great. What a wonderful woman to help you like that.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
by now Chamouti was already gone 6 weeks
Wow, that's a long time! He must have found food and water somewhere. I'm glad he's back safely.
The clinic did not charge anything for reading the chip,
The vets here don't charge to scan for a chip. I think it might be an agreement they make with the microchip companies. What good is a chip if nobody will scan it without being paid?

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
segelkatt segelkatt , what a relief.

My former feral barn kitty whom I got in 2008 has FINALLY discovered that my bed is safe and snuggly as of this week! Today was the first time since we got her that she snuggled with me in bed!
Congratulations!!

It's been raining nonstop since 4:30 am and every animal has been on my bed and attached to me all day. It's been almost impossible to play Fortnite with them climbing all over me. But they're so cute I don't want to bother them. I'll just play around the furballs.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
SO glad Chamouti is home safe with you! and grateful to the very wonderful lady who helped to bring him to safe haven.
The people in that area need to know that it is a felony to harm ANY cat and that TNR and well-managed colonies is the answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.