The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

FflurCadwgawn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ewww. Bad dentists are no fun. My last bad experience at the dentist was the last straw for me and I found a new dentist who takes poverty insurance. *shudders*

My replacement phone arrived today!

-1: I'm stuck at school until 2 pm.

-2: I tried doing some yoga last night to calm down from the stress of running all over campus trying to find my phone yesterday after it was taken out of the ladies room, and my knee locked on me. The best way I can describe what happened is a stuck hinge. It wasn't horribly painful but I can definitely tell it's weak and not thrilled about things today, and yoga got interesting trying to keep weight on it. I talked with the professor before class about it and as soon as I get my student loan refunds I'm going to my chiropractor. Urgent Care here will just say to ice it. It's the third time I've experienced the stuck hinge situation with it since May, so at this point I'm pretty sure it's an alignment problem. Either way, my chiropractor will be able to do way more for it than Urgent Care will.

+1: A friend of my dad's who hikes a lot has a hiking backpack that is too small for him, and offered it to me when I was asking around for recommendations for backpacks that can hold up to heavy college textbooks and having to hike a mile or more from the car park to class. We're going hiking this weekend to see how the pack works for me (and because all these human behavior side training certificates my program is requiring for social work are starting to make my eyes cross and blur everything).

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I need to get my rotten tooth pulled soon too. It's a root canal & crown though, then the little piece of tooth that they hooked the crown to. I've never gotten a tooth pulled before, but I just want it out.
Thing is, I had a root canal on this tooth 35 years ago. Back then they used to cap the back teeth. Only, the cap fell off. So it may be the tooth causing the problem, or it may be something else and it's just coincidence.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After only 2 NSAID's the swelling is down considerably. I will continue to take them every 12 hours or so. If it's not gone by Thurs. I will go see the good doctor and get something. I'm glad she's an NP or else she would move to someplace like Phx. where I can't follow her. Then I'd be stuck with morons.

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so frustrated. My boys will eat literal cardboard, but won't touch any new dry food I give them. I'm getting to the end of their Solid Gold and I really don't want to buy another bag of that stuff.

I bought a new flavor of Ziwipeak air dry, and Finny inhaled it when I gave him a piece as a treat, but the moment I put a little in the bowl, it's ignored as if he didn't just act like it was the best thing ever a second ago. Teddy is the same.

I can't afford to feed them only wet as kittens, and everyone's schedule is too unpredictable anyway.

I guess on the bright side, they don't seem finicky when it comes to wet. They also aren't addicted to kibble, they just won't accept any other dry...

Still frustrating, though.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so frustrated. My boys will eat literal cardboard, but won't touch any new dry food I give them. I'm getting to the end of their Solid Gold and I really don't want to buy another bag of that stuff.

I bought a new flavor of Ziwipeak air dry, and Finny inhaled it when I gave him a piece as a treat, but the moment I put a little in the bowl, it's ignored as if he didn't just act like it was the best thing ever a second ago. Teddy is the same.

I can't afford to feed them only wet as kittens, and everyone's schedule is too unpredictable anyway.

I guess on the bright side, they don't seem finicky when it comes to wet. They also aren't addicted to kibble, they just won't accept any other dry...

Still frustrating, though.
Oh gosh. they can be soooo finicky. The Vincie girl was the worst and I enabled
her. My b.i.l. fed homeless ferals that lived in the woods of the park. He made them a warm bed and fed them daily or twice daily. I saved all the Fancy Feast that Queen Vincie girl would not touch. After 5 years one of them finally let Larry pet him. He said hey would eat anything.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like I have to go see the idiot tomorrow. I have an infection somewhere in my face. Could be a tooth. My face is swollen up like the elephant man. No joke, it looks like there's a tennis ball in my jaw, and this morning my eye wouldn't open. It feels better now, and I can open my eye. I did take an NSAID, which I'm not supposed to, but I was desperate.
I wish I could wait until Thurs. when the good doctor is there, but I need antibiotics now. I don't know if my face is swollen from an infected tooth or the tooth hurts because my face is swollen. I don't have dental insurance, so the moron better give me some anitbiotics. I may have been stung by something, but there's no mark.
Oh and since it was rainy today, my knee decided to swell to the size of a grapefruit on steroids. Man oh man.

On the brighter side...it was only in the low 80's today and good God was it nice out. All the windows are open and a beautiful breeze coming through.
Oh, please don't wait. Sounds like an infection and your knees acting up as well.
:hugs:

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh gosh. they can be soooo finicky. The Vincie girl was the worst and I enabled
her. My b.i.l. fed homeless ferals that lived in the woods of the park. He made them a warm bed and fed them daily or twice daily. I saved all the Fancy Feast that Queen Vincie girl would not touch. After 5 years one of them finally let Larry pet him. He said hey would eat anything.
I love hearing what your husband did for those cats. Makes me happy knowing they were taken care of!

But yeah, cats have not forgotten they were once worshiped lol I thought it would be easy to introduce new dry to them since they had no issues trying new wet or treats, but nope. And then they give me false hope. Today I opened the bag of new dry to add a few more little pieces into their old, and Finny got so excited, he stood on his hind legs to sniff and gobbled up the piece I gave him.

But of course, as mentioned before, once in the bowl, they want nothing to do with it lol

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
I've learned all kinds of awful things about the state of Nevada since i arrived here 6 weeks ago. Top of it is that they don't care about cats here. TNR seems to be unheard of, neutering is expensive so there are always more kittens that nobody wants, the feral cats breed until once every 2 years or so someone comes around and exterminates a bunch of them, I don't want to know how they do it. There is still an attitude that if you have a pregnant cat you put the kittens in a sack and drown them but the mama still does not get spayed because of the expense. There are shelters but most of them are not no-kill. They don't always check for microchips and if a cat has not been picked up within a few days it's up for adoption at a price and if you later locate your cat you are out of luck if the new owner does not want to give it up, even a judge will go against you. However, there are always people who will feed cats and in the winter will even take them in, otherwise a stray or lost cat is on its own. Nobody seems to care about cats, they are pretty much considered "vermin" because "there are too many of them" (I wonder why?:doh2:)
I had casually inquired when at the pet shop if there were any cat clubs as I had not found any on the internet and was told no, perhaps someone should start one and they would join. So there are indeed cat lovers here. But it's mostly dogs. Now how to figure out on how to start a cat club, anybody have any ideas?

The other thing that really gets my goat is the poor effort to recycle. In a house or duplex one is assigned one barrel for trash and another for recycling but some things like electronics cannot go into either barrel, you are stuck with it. If you want more than one of each barrel you have to pay more. If you want to go to the dump and want to do your own dumping they charge you for that and no electronics are allowed. You can take newer ones to places like BestBuy, but those old giant TVs etc you have to pay for to get rid of them. Same goes for all other stuff that does not fit into a trash container so old mattresses and furniture end up in people's side yard hidden behind high fences because if someone from the city sees it they make you get rid of it or you will be fined. They don't make it easy for you to get rid of stuff that does not work anymore. So people surreptitiously go out in the desert and dump stuff there, if caught there are more big fines to pay. At least there are some places that will take all my packing boxes off my hands after I move into my new place on or about Oct 1 and they will even pay me for them. Or I can advertise them on Craigslist or similar places (OfferUp is just one and so is NextDoor).
I have joined a local gardening club on-line but also said I hope to meet people in person as I don't know anyone here besides my immediate family. One person lives within a mile of where I am going to be and she is all in favor of that. Another said : being friends outside of facebook, what a concept! I don't know if she was being facetious or was serious. People here seem to think that anything farther than a 10 minute drive is "too far"!!! There were quite a few who apparently live within 30 miles and said it was "too bad that I am so far away or they would be happy to meet me". Reno is indeed the "littlest city". Pretty backwards in their attitude. Now that Nevada has a Democrat as a governor and there has been a large influx of residents from California although many of the better well-off actually commute via plane to California job sites, things just may change which is resented but stuff like recycling and keeping the air and water clean is indeed high on Nevadans' list so there is hope.
Temps are crazy here. 6 weeks ago it was blazing hot with not much relief in sight, the last snow finally melted on the mountains. Then the temps dropped to 39 at night and no more than 65 during the day. A storm came during the night, washed my car clean and dumped snow on the mountains, thin but it's still there. Got hot again for 2 days and the temps plummeted again, I had to get sweaters and warm pj's from my storage, also woolen socks and a coat. But I was warned not to put my summer clothes away as yet, I might need them before I move into my own place. Now that is really weird. Today the day started overcast, looked like it was going to rain, then the wind blew it all away, it might have snowed on the mountains again, temps are in the low 60s and will drop to low 40s by 5pm, but the wind is blowing, the sun is bright and if one is in the shade it is downright cold. I still get out of breath at odd times but I am resolved that it will take many more months before I am adjusted. Cooking at this altitude is also a challenge, I had no idea that it would have such an effect.
At least he cats show no stress I can blame on the altitude, however, being confined to a small room has made them very clingy as I cannot be in that room all the time, I would go stir-crazy, so they miss me and are all over me whenever I am in the room, especially at night, there is barely room enough for me as all three crowd me in this small twin-size bed. Thank goodness it is only for two more weeks. On the other hand, how could I possibly be cold with three heaters in my bed?

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On the other hand, how could I possibly be cold with three heaters in my bed?
Change in altitude. Give it some time and you will acclimate.

Now how to figure out on how to start a cat club, anybody have any ideas?
You could start in FB. Create a group and call it something like 'Cat club of Reno'. See if you can share your group with a lost and found (of your area) group in Reno. This could be a place to start. Also, check with the local shelters and vet offices and see if you could put up a flyer or something advertising the club.

Cooking at this altitude is also a challenge, I had no idea that it would have such an effect.
About 1/8 cup more flour for baking.
25° higher temp in oven and somewhere around 5-10 minutes extra. This will help.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
segelkatt segelkatt Ask the library if you could post a notice about forming a cat club?
I posted a notice about forming an RSD/CRPS (what I have) face to face group
at my library. It's very rare to have it but I thought I'd give it a shot. I got one response. She had the same pain doc as I do, even attended the same church, but said she was in too much pain to meet.

I bet you would get lots of responses.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm starting my linguistics course at university tomorrow. I haven't been studying for a while, so it will be strange to get back into it!
I had to quit university already as I'd already deferred the year, and decided that the whole university lifestyle would be a bit much for me; since I've always struggled with anxiety and depression and university only triggered that for the short while I was there. I've already gotten quite a lot of crap for being a dropout before I even started back home, so I'm feeling a little like a failure at the moment. Trying to figure out what to do next.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to quit university already as I'd already deferred the year, and decided that the whole university lifestyle would be a bit much for me; since I've always struggled with anxiety and depression and university only triggered that for the short while I was there. I've already gotten quite a lot of crap for being a dropout before I even started back home, so I'm feeling a little like a failure at the moment. Trying to figure out what to do next.
That sounds a lot like my life. :( I am sending hugs and prayers to you that you find your way. :hugs:

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Classes had become quite enjoyable and I thought everything was going good. Then, a young man in my group started being disrespectful. First, his bag hit my leg and he didn't even look at me, apologize or ask me if I was okay. I thought, "Alright then. Whatever." We get to class and he takes my seat to talk to a friend. I ask him if he's going to sit in my seat and he completely ignores me. Later on in that same class, he bumps into a chair that has wheels and it rolled - hitting me pretty hard. Again, he walks away without saying anything.

Today, the instructor compared my work to his and later on in the class, he turns around to his friend (I'm in the back row, they are in the row in front of me and he is in the row in front of them) and he starts talking about how much he hates the black pen for drawing. He goes on to say, "I hate black."

Someone please tell me I'm reaching with this and drawing imaginary lines. I hardly ever play the race card but this is getting to be too much now. I'm scared. Whenever he looks at me, he gives me very awful glares. Like he'd gut me like game if he could.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Graceful-Lily Graceful-Lily - he sounds like a jerk at the very least. I tend to trust my gut/women's intuition, and he sounds like bad news.

Is your teacher someone you can talk to? I assume they plan on switching up groups throughout the semester, but maybe they can make sure you're not grouped together anymore.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Graceful-Lily Graceful-Lily - he sounds like a jerk at the very least. I tend to trust my gut/women's intuition, and he sounds like bad news.

Is your teacher someone you can talk to? I assume they plan on switching up groups throughout the semester, but maybe they can make sure you're not grouped together anymore.
I'm watching very diligently and the moment he directly makes me feel threatened or uncomfortable, I'm emailing an instructor to let them know.

This is unacceptable behaviour for a college student. I'm tired of this nonsense. Leave that for high school.

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so happy I found a great vet. While the other vet clinic I went to wasn't bad, it felt very business-like and everyone was so serious. This new vet is so kind and personable and full of smiles. The way she greeted Teddy today was like he was her own cat she was greeting. She seemed genuinely happy to see him. I don't get that "I'm doing this for the money" vibe from her. I hope if I really do move next year I won't be too far from this place. Good vets are hard to find.

Graceful-Lily Graceful-Lily
I'm watching very diligently and the moment he directly makes me feel threatened or uncomfortable, I'm emailing an instructor to let them know.

This is unacceptable behaviour for a college student. I'm tired of this nonsense. Leave that for high school.
Honestly that kind of behavior shouldn't be exhibited anywhere. He sounds like he needs a good punch to the face :headshake: I hope something is done about him. What a prick. I'm sorry you're going through that and I hope things get better for you:goodluck:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He goes on to say, "I hate black."
That says a lot about him. At first, I was thinking he's just a jerk and you should let it go. But after that comment, he may be a white supremacist. Sorry, but it's my opinion these people should be hung. There is no place in society for intolerant bigoted people.
However, don't push it either. Do what you're doing and keep an eye on him.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Classes had become quite enjoyable and I thought everything was going good. Then, a young man in my group started being disrespectful. First, his bag hit my leg and he didn't even look at me, apologize or ask me if I was okay. I thought, "Alright then. Whatever." We get to class and he takes my seat to talk to a friend. I ask him if he's going to sit in my seat and he completely ignores me. Later on in that same class, he bumps into a chair that has wheels and it rolled - hitting me pretty hard. Again, he walks away without saying anything.

Today, the instructor compared my work to his and later on in the class, he turns around to his friend (I'm in the back row, they are in the row in front of me and he is in the row in front of them) and he starts talking about how much he hates the black pen for drawing. He goes on to say, "I hate black."

Someone please tell me I'm reaching with this and drawing imaginary lines. I hardly ever play the race card but this is getting to be too much now. I'm scared. Whenever he looks at me, he gives me very awful glares. Like he'd gut me like game if he could.
Not in my opinion, you're not "reaching", Graceful-Lily Graceful-Lily but it sounds like he may not just be a racist, but he may have a mental/emotional issue as well. One never knows with people now, but that's my intuition. My usual tack with people like this is to ignore them, unless they ratchet it up, in which case I'd try to get him on a recording just in case.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
unless they ratchet it up, in which case I'd try to get him on a recording just in case.
I agree with you...but....
Unfortunately, unless he becomes physical there is nothing that the police can do. First Amendment gets in the way.
If the college kicks him out, then you better be careful walking to your car. Kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.
But if you have him on tape making nasty remarks, at least you have proof.

Status
Not open for further replies.