The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They don't have the same range that we or other animals have. They are instinct only. Hot, cold, secure, danger, etc.
I have found that my snakes do recognize people. The ball pythons will stay balled up for a long time if a new person is holding them, or if one of the rougher kids is holding them. If it's someone they recognize, and remember them being gentle, they'll pop out very quickly. So they are capable of basic pattern recognition at least, and do "have friends". Although calling it affection is probably a little too far!

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I have found that my snakes do recognize people. The ball pythons will stay balled up for a long time if a new person is holding them, or if one of the rougher kids is holding them. If it's someone they recognize, and remember them being gentle, they'll pop out very quickly. So they are capable of basic pattern recognition at least, and do "have friends". Although calling it affection is probably a little too far!
That's so cool! I've always wondered this about snakes.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Astronomy buffs may find this interesting. It's from 1969.

Most of the people onscreen are clearly very nervous, even Carl Sagan. As I watched, I couldn't help thinking, "Better get used to this, Carl." :lol:

On the whole, it was very interesting to see where things stood 50 years ago.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Although calling it affection is probably a little too far!
I would call it security. Hathor doesn't tolerate any one else in the house, she only seems to like me. Although I would love to believe that it's affection, I know it's that she's secure around me and picks up on the ever so slight nerves of anyone else. They don't realize they're nervous, but she does.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's so cool! I've always wondered this about snakes.
Call it affection. They aren't really hardwired for "real" emotions, but since recognizing you as not a threat is the closest she can come, why not? "Not a threat" is a nice, positive snake emotion!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My friend said it could be a gnat and looks like what I saw but not sure! It doesn’t hurt but itches a lot and make the area bleed easily. That bleeding happened by just like one scratch and I have short nails. Stupid gnats! Or alike!
I was thinking gnat but then realized where you were. I didn't think they had gnats in Turkey.
We have those :censored: flying teeth all over the place up here. For something so small, they sure pack a punch.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was thinking gnat but then realized where you were. I didn't think they had gnats in Turkey.
We have those :censored: flying teeth all over the place up here. For something so small, they sure pack a punch.
If it is what has been biting all of us around here, that's awful that you have all over the place! I checked and apparently there is gnats in Turkey but not common in Istanbul. I'm still not sure if it's what it was. If it's not stupid gnat, must be its stupid cousin. :cringe: (still itching)

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Astronomy buffs may find this interesting. It's from 1969.

Most of the people onscreen are clearly very nervous, even Carl Sagan. As I watched, I couldn't help thinking, "Better get used to this, Carl." :lol:

On the whole, it was very interesting to see where things stood 50 years ago.
Ha!!! good one Katie M Katie M

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
We left the television on for Felix while we cleaned out the spare bedroom and he's watching it? I walked into the living room and he trilled. As if to ask me why I walked in front of the TV.

When I walked in, he was on the arm rest of the couch until HeartLand finished. He stretched and I thought he was going to jump off but he stretched and moving into the couch. Now, he's watching Anne with an E.
15685923486922646056953992714264.jpg

I think he's falling asleep now...
1568592790280425703805846527727.jpg

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like I have to go see the idiot tomorrow. I have an infection somewhere in my face. Could be a tooth. My face is swollen up like the elephant man. No joke, it looks like there's a tennis ball in my jaw, and this morning my eye wouldn't open. It feels better now, and I can open my eye. I did take an NSAID, which I'm not supposed to, but I was desperate.
I wish I could wait until Thurs. when the good doctor is there, but I need antibiotics now. I don't know if my face is swollen from an infected tooth or the tooth hurts because my face is swollen. I don't have dental insurance, so the moron better give me some anitbiotics. I may have been stung by something, but there's no mark.
Oh and since it was rainy today, my knee decided to swell to the size of a grapefruit on steroids. Man oh man.

On the brighter side...it was only in the low 80's today and good God was it nice out. All the windows are open and a beautiful breeze coming through.

FflurCadwgawn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My phone was stolen/taken/disappeared yesterday from a ladies room on campus (I'm going back to school for a second bachelor's, this time in social work--the county caseworker jobs I otherwise qualify for all require at least a BSW for benefits). I went to every office I could think of, including campus police and IT to see if they could track it (no go. Bah). Cop said they wouldn't file a larceny report until the end of the week if it hasn't shown up by then. My dad's name is the only one on the phone account so when I got home my mum managed to sweet talk him into going to Verizon with me to get things straitened out. +1 for phone insurance! My old phone was on it's way out anyway and wasn't holding a charge anymore, (and that model isn't even being manufactured now), so my replacement phone got shipped last night and should arrive by 7 pm tonight. Nnnnnnngh.

:sigh:

I hope. I was in the middle of a work arrangement when that disappeared. Work is coordinating burials for my hometown. I was in the middle of arranging a monument placement when it disappeared. It's amazing how much help people will give you when they find out you're a town official and need the lost device for that job. :running:

Last edited:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
HeartLand finished. He stretched and I thought he was going to jump off but he stretched and moving into the couch. Now, he's watching Anne with an E.
It sounds like he loves Canadian shows?

I don't know if my face is swollen from an infected tooth or the tooth hurts because my face is swollen. I don't have dental insurance, so the moron better give me some anitbiotics.
I need to get my rotten tooth pulled soon too. It's a root canal & crown though, then the little piece of tooth that they hooked the crown to. I've never gotten a tooth pulled before, but I just want it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.