The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
segelkatt segelkatt , it took me almost 6 months to acclimate to a 5700 ft elevation.
Thanks for the info, kashmir64 kashmir64 , at least this does not make me feel like I am a freak although 6 months seems like forever from here. Reno is ONLY 4700 ft high and I moved here from practically sea level I'm sure the 1000 ft won't make that much difference.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info, kashmir64 kashmir64 , at least this does not make me feel like I am a freak although 6 months seems like forever from here. Reno is ONLY 4700 ft high and I moved here from practically sea level I'm sure the 1000 ft won't make that much difference.
I moved from Phx. at a 1080 ft elevation to 5700 ft. So, it's about the same.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hurrah, I did get the place I wanted. Signed a contract today and I can move in on Oct 1!!! Somebody still lives there but will be out by then and the place will be professionally cleaned. It has a big patio, a garage with washer/dryer, carpet only in the bedrooms, two huge walk-in closets. Floors are tile and/or some kind of wooden floor. Also a backyard that the owner said I could dig up for a flower and veggie garden, A/C, dishwasher, what more can I ask for? Oh yes, community pool! And the rent is reasonable too. I'll have to sneak in the kitties and ask for permission later on. But as the owner lives in CA 200 miles away she will not be the wiser, they are indoor-only anyway.
This time being older and a retired person actually helped as there was a young couple also looking at the place and when told they did not get it offered to pay more rent and the owner said no. She preferred someone who was planning on staying for a long time and the young pregnant couple would likely need a bigger place in a few years and move out and she'd have to go through the whole process again. The present renters have been there for just over a year. It's an expense for her also to get a new person.
So hurrah for being older.

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's great segelkatt segelkatt ! A new home is exciting, arranging the furniture where you like it, decorating, getting to know the neighborhood, .... everything except the packing! I'm moving to a new place too, independent living in a beautiful retirement community. I'm finished packing. I started a couple weeks ago and will be moving on the 18th of this month. I'm excited about having a new home and it sounds like you are too.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I moved out of a whole town which was nothing but a retirement community, very pretty with every kind of amenity one could wish for. 18000 homes with no more than 30% occupied by renters. But I was priced out of there and in a lot of ways was sad to leave. I had lived in SoCal since 1971 so this was home and if I could I would have stayed there. But it was not to be and now I will have more money instead of paying it all out in rent. I should be able to actually take a vacation and visit my friends in SoCal and go sailing a few times a year. Plane tickets are pretty cheap these days and it only takes about an hour.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Hurrah, I did get the place I wanted. Signed a contract today and I can move in on Oct 1!!! Somebody still lives there but will be out by then and the place will be professionally cleaned. It has a big patio, a garage with washer/dryer, carpet only in the bedrooms, two huge walk-in closets. Floors are tile and/or some kind of wooden floor. Also a backyard that the owner said I could dig up for a flower and veggie garden, A/C, dishwasher, what more can I ask for? Oh yes, community pool! And the rent is reasonable too. I'll have to sneak in the kitties and ask for permission later on. But as the owner lives in CA 200 miles away she will not be the wiser, they are indoor-only anyway.
This time being older and a retired person actually helped as there was a young couple also looking at the place and when told they did not get it offered to pay more rent and the owner said no. She preferred someone who was planning on staying for a long time and the young pregnant couple would likely need a bigger place in a few years and move out and she'd have to go through the whole process again. The present renters have been there for just over a year. It's an expense for her also to get a new person.
So hurrah for being older.
So glad you got i!!:yess:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's great segelkatt segelkatt ! A new home is exciting, arranging the furniture where you like it, decorating, getting to know the neighborhood, .... everything except the packing! I'm moving to a new place too, independent living in a beautiful retirement community. I'm finished packing. I started a couple weeks ago and will be moving on the 18th of this month. I'm excited about having a new home and it sounds like you are too.
Sun City?

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sun City?
No, it is an unincorporated part of Reno which is called "Sun Valley". The more northern part of Sun Valley used to be the local gang hangout but has been gentrified quite a long time ago and the gangs have moved elsewhere. Sun Valley then grew farther south and that part never had the gangs. This all happened in the 70s so there is no sign of it now. The part that I am moving to was not built until the 70s, just an ordinary neighborhood with an HOA to make sure that everything stays nice and takes care of the pool and so that people don't turn their residence into an eyesore like painting it screaming pink or letting the garbage pile up or parking cars on the lawn.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, it is an unincorporated part of Reno which is called "Sun Valley". The more northern part of Sun Valley used to be the local gang hangout but has been gentrified quite a long time ago and the gangs have moved elsewhere. Sun Valley then grew farther south and that part never had the gangs. This all happened in the 70s so there is no sign of it now. The part that I am moving to was not built until the 70s, just an ordinary neighborhood with an HOA to make sure that everything stays nice and takes care of the pool and so that people don't turn their residence into an eyesore like painting it screaming pink or letting the garbage pile up or parking cars on the lawn.
I meant debbila debbila . She said she was moving to a retirement community. Sun City is an entire town retirement community in the west Phoenix area.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hurrah, I did get the place I wanted. Signed a contract today and I can move in on Oct 1!!!
I'm thrilled for you! It sounds like exactly what you need, and I'm sure you'll enjoy "nesting," and making it yours!

Today is Shane's brain surgery. We're all worrying.
Many prayers. Let us know when you have a moment.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found out something I didn't know about venomous snakes vs. non venomous snakes. Did you know...non venomous snakes have round pupils and a split cross type pattern of scales below the anus. Venomous snakes have a slit pupil and a linear scales below the anus.
I didn't believe this so I looked up pictures of a gopher snake and the pupils were round. Of course then I had to check out my girl. It took awhile to get her to put her head on the back of my hand, (she likes to wrap in my fingers), but her eyes are definitely slitted and she has the linear scales.
I guess this is true then. I never knew that.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I found out something I didn't know about venomous snakes vs. non venomous snakes. Did you know...non venomous snakes have round pupils and a split cross type pattern of scales below the anus. Venomous snakes have a slit pupil and a linear scales below the anus.
I didn't believe this so I looked up pictures of a gopher snake and the pupils were round. Of course then I had to check out my girl. It took awhile to get her to put her head on the back of my hand, (she likes to wrap in my fingers), but her eyes are definitely slitted and she has the linear scales.
I guess this is true then. I never knew that.
So your girl is venomous? Did you have her de-venomed? What is her name?

Status
Not open for further replies.