The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Soy makes my endo act up so I TRY to avoid it as much as possible-which means- MUCH less food choices..so lately I live on rotisory chicken, raw veggies cooked for 2 minutes or so and pasta or plain mashed tators...most processed foods has too much JUNK in them or low fat mumble jumbo which isn't good for our bodies...did ya know sugar is more harmful than fat?!
Soy is in EVERYTHING now! If it mentions "protein" on the box, more than likely it comes from soy isolate. And it's a processed version of soy, so not exactly the healthiest form.

And, yes, when everyone wanted "fat free" they took out the fat and replaced it with sugar, which when eaten in excess turns to fat anyway. :sigh:

My brother makes chickpea "tuna" salad. He actually eats fish (pesco-vegetarian) so I guess he just does it for variety. I really can't tell the difference, it's amazing.
I made chickpea salad sandwiches for company once, and one guest kept asking "is this tuna?". :)

So yes, I will be glad to have my own place with my own things asap.
Hope it's sooner than later. :crossfingers:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish it was that easy. Those two have actually gone and thrown food away and went out to get junk food. Nothing but lip service that they were looking forward to having "good food" but they won't eat it, actually said because it was because of OCD and have a hard time to change anything including throwing things away because they did not need them or they did not work anymore. So cabinets are full of stuff nobody uses but because those 15 pyrex baking dishes were her mother's, a coffee maker that does not work and just takes up space in a kitchen that does not have enough counter or cabinet space and should be in the trash etc etc..
That is really too bad for everyone concerned, segelkatt segelkatt and those kitchenwares could be put to good use by someone! I have my mom's and some of my grandmother's and I treasure them and use them (not all of them, but they're there for me in case!). I think of my loved ones when I use these things, so I get a double benefit from them. I've never understood people who just throw everything away when a loved one passes. Anyway!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish it was that easy. Those two have actually gone and thrown food away and went out to get junk food. Nothing but lip service that they were looking forward to having "good food" but they won't eat it, actually said because it was because of OCD and have a hard time to change anything including throwing things away because they did not need them or they did not work anymore. So cabinets are full of stuff nobody uses but because those 15 pyrex baking dishes were her mother's, a coffee maker that does not work and just takes up space in a kitchen that does not have enough counter or cabinet space and should be in the trash etc etc..
That's the one thing about spending my summers on my step-grandmother's cattle ranch...everything you ate was fresh. Corn bread was made from corn, meats we didn't have were exchanged with different type ranchers, the pond was stocked so all the fish was fresh caught that day, a 5 acre apple orchard, wild plums and blackberries, fresh eggs and we had an acre vegetable garden. We did buy milk.
I have a hard time with store bought food and junk food is out of the question.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's the one thing about spending my summers on my step-grandmother's cattle ranch...everything you ate was fresh. Corn bread was made from corn, meats we didn't have were exchanged with different type ranchers, the pond was stocked so all the fish was fresh caught that day, a 5 acre apple orchard, wild plums and blackberries, fresh eggs and we had an acre vegetable garden. We did buy milk.
I have a hard time with store bought food and junk food is out of the question.
You probably enjoy excellent health because of this, too, I would think! I'm encouraged to see people raising vegetables and fruits in their own yards. When I moved here, I immediately had my gardener put in all the fruit trees this tiny yard would support. I lost the Asian pear, but still have grapefruit, Valencia orange, pineapple guava, nectarine, and fig. My neighbor in back has lemons, some of which hang over/fall into my yard, so I usually enjoy fresh lemonade all summer long.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You probably enjoy excellent health because of this, too, I would think!
Not as much as you would think. I have put my body through the wringer and now it's trying to fall apart. But I do have an excellent immune system.

Fruit trees aren't hard to grow. Water them a couple of times a week.
Depends on the area. In Arizona we don't have dirt, it's sand. Even in the mountains it's mostly sand. Fruit trees do grow if you can dig down past the caliche, but it takes work to get them to start growing properly.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not as much as you would think. I have put my body through the wringer and now it's trying to fall apart. But I do have an excellent immune system.

Depends on the area. In Arizona we don't have dirt, it's sand. Even in the mountains it's mostly sand. Fruit trees do grow if you can dig down past the caliche, but it takes work to get them to start growing properly.
We had nectarines, apricots, figs, almonds, and put in an Asian pear and a cherry, at 4,100 ft. on sand in the Mojave. We had drip irrigation. The nectarines were the best I've ever had.
The fresh food will keep your immune system strong! A LOT of people out there grew all kinds of fruits and vegetables. In fact there were a lot of commercial growers out there with huge greenhouses, and people sold their produce on roadside stands. A very famous place for stone fruits is Littlerock, CA, a few miles to the west of where we lived, still in the Mojave.

Last edited:

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I had the craziest dream last night...

I had a dream that I was in a secret love affair with an older gentleman named AJ Tucker (I'm guessing his last name but it definitely started with a 'T' because I searched for his business online... in the dream). He owned a business and was doing shady deals and illegal stuff with money. We'd sneak off and have romantic evenings or just do "things" at his work place. We got caught several times. He's probably like 35 - 40 years old. Anyway, he gets caught, police came and got him. It was a huge thing. It was in the papers, on the news, everywhere. People were furious to the point of rioting. And everyone was so upset that I still supported him through it all. I visited him in prison and we touched hands through the glass. I told him how much I missed him but he was going to be in for a longgggg time. I think he got a 32 year sentence. But he figured everything would be okay. On one particular visit, I planned to break the news to him that I wouldn't be coming to visit him anymore. But I don't remember what happened after that... And he had an ex-wife. He was single when I met him but when this all blew up, his ex-wife was furious at me. The end... WILD DREAM.

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had the craziest dream last night...

I had a dream that I was in a secret love affair with an older gentleman named AJ Tucker (I'm guessing his last name but it definitely started with a 'T' because I searched for his business online... in the dream). He owned a business and was doing shady deals and illegal stuff with money. We'd sneak off and have romantic evenings or just do "things" at his work place. We got caught several times. He's probably like 35 - 40 years old. Anyway, he gets caught, police came and got him. It was a huge thing. It was in the papers, on the news, everywhere. People were furious to the point of rioting. And everyone was so upset that I still supported him through it all. I visited him in prison and we touched hands through the glass. I told him how much I missed him but he was going to be in for a longgggg time. I think he got a 32 year sentence. But he figured everything would be okay. On one particular visit, I planned to break the news to him that I wouldn't be coming to visit him anymore. But I don't remember what happened after that... And he had an ex-wife. He was single when I met him but when this all blew up, his ex-wife was furious at me. The end... WILD DREAM.
Okay, Graceful-Lily Graceful-Lily -- you are the first person I've known who has dreams more involved, complicated and bizarre than mine.
While we're on the subject, do you ever have recurring dreams? I have several that have followed me for years.

Last edited:

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. For the past 6 months, I've been having a reoccurring dream of meeting up with old friends from middle school. It started out as 3 dreams a week but they've slowed down. Overall, I've roughly had about 30 dreams about the same thing, meeting old friends from middle school.

It's always some sort of reunion or we bump into each other while out somewhere.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. For the past 6 months, I've been having a reoccurring dream of meeting up with old friends from middle school. It started out as 3 dreams a week but they've slowed down. Overall, I've roughly had about 30 dreams about the same thing, meeting old friends from middle school.

It's always some sort of reunion or we bump into each other while out somewhere.
Glad to hear I'm not alone in that!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's supposed to mean something good so I guess we'll see. :sheep:

What about you?

Side note, hoping I get a part 2 to the In Love With A Criminal dream! :lol:
It's like watching movies in my sleep. I'm aware that I'm dreaming, and that I'm having a recurring dream. They're always in color, and they always involve people close to me.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm still fighting with my depression, and my current class isn't helping. I'm doing well, but this pharmacology class is geared more towards the medical assistants. It's a requirement for all of the medical programs, but let's face it-I'll never need to decipher a med order or prepare a syringe.

On the bright side, my externship is going well. I'm mainly dealing with insurance pre-authorizations, and I get a strange sense of satisfaction when I complete them. I'm probably the only one who feels like that :lol:

My supervisor said she's never seen anyone pick it up so quickly :)

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
segelkatt segelkatt I hope you can get the house you are going to see. It's good that you have a room ac unit. I hope your ankle heals soon.

@Mamanyt1953 So glad you are safe!!

The ankle is doing well, however, sometimes out of nowhere I have these shooting pains, really bad, and I've had more toe cramps lately where my big toe curls UP! and that is very painful, wakes me up and I have to walk around to make it stop.
The last two days have been very nice with the temp just over 85 and in the high 60s at night so I have not had to turn on the a/c, just the fan for white noise.
Tomorrow I will see the house/duplex that I want. You can look it up at 2615 Starks Way, Reno, NV, quite a few pictures inside and out. The owner is supposed to be there, she sent me an e-mail saying that the open house will start a little later and she hopes I will be there. An hour later she sent me another email asking me to confirm that I will be there, I hope that means she does not have many responses and that she likes what she heard on the phone: retired single person with steady income (although not a high income) and excellent credit score (almost 800) who does not want to move again ever.
I hope she picks me although she wants someone by Oct 1 which I can just barely make, I had hoped to not move until Oct 15 after my 2nd check comes in. But I will not let this one get away from me if it is offered. I might have to do without cable and TV until then. I will be busy unpacking anyway and have lots of books and the Smithsonian and Scientific American are coming, also I have DVDs coming from Netflix and lots of CDs. I'm sure I will survive. Thank goodness I have a freezer full of mostly meat, lots of veggies and fruit that I had canned and all my dry goods (rice, flour, sugar, spices etc) were in air tight containers and are now in storage so I will be able to hold on nicely and just get a gallon of milk and a dozen eggs to tide me over.
Once I am all settled I will decide what and when to do about that rotten former landlord who wants to keep all my deposit, claiming that the walls were sprayed by my cats (I have so many bookcases that there was no wall visible for them to spray if they had tried) and that the carpet was ruined by the cats also blah blah blah. Can't think about that right now or I'll just get all upset again.
@tarasgirl06 I have lots of pyrex dishes also but the last time I moved I got rid of a lot of them by either donating them or giving them to people who wanted them. Hanging on to things which you don't use because they were handed down or because you have had them since you had your first apt and now it's 30 years later just eats up valuable space which most of do not have. If the items have value such as a collection of depression glass then sell them, otherwise they just sit around collecting dust. However, this bunch and their OCD does not let that happen, they just sit there in their drug and nicotine induced fog and exist, I don't call that living.
And, yes, I would consider myself in excellent health, particularly in comparison to others of my age and younger. I've had my bout with colon cancer way back in 2001, had been fat for many years and now am down to quite an acceptable weight, my BP is normal, I am not diabetic, I am short of breath because of the altitude and run out of steam easily for the same reason and don't know how long it will take me to get to normal, I don't smoke and drink in moderation ( a glass of wine is good for you in many ways). I also still have all my own joints, don't need hearing aids or a pacemaker, still sharp as a tack and reading voraciously. I just can't see worth a damn having worn glasses since I was 10 or 11.
The farmers market is staying open until Oct 5, it was supposed to close down next week for the season and not open until April, but due to the long summer and farmers still having plenty of peaches, tomatoes, cucumbers and squashes etc it was decided to stay open longer. Good for me who is used to farmers markets being open year round.

Status
Not open for further replies.