The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aedan still isn't talking much. He says "mama," "dada," and "my." But, now he meows. He talks to the cats. I wonder if they can understand each other.
My mom said that my first word was 'no'. Because that's what she was always screaming at me. (I was a terror at an early age)

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard that it's possible to rent traffic cones; does anyone have any idea where? I really need to get a feel for the Dart's dimensions, and the easiest way I can think of to do that is to run into something - traffic cones in an empty parking lot seem like the best option.

Margret
I know in my mom's drivers ed class they do something to understand void areas of their car (this is just where you can't see around your vehicle, which changes depending on your car.) Obviously this isn't exactly what you're talking about, but does help you to understand where your car is on the road.

What they do is have the driver sit in the drivers seat and another person moves in different areas around the car and when the driver can't see them anymore, they put down a cone (or a waterbottle). In the end you can get out of the car and see all the spaces that aren't visible when you are in the vehicle.

You don't have to necessarily do the exercise, but you could use their idea of using painted water bottles instead of cones as something you can hit.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
I know in my mom's drivers ed class they do something to understand void areas of their car (this is just where you can't see around your vehicle, which changes depending on your car.) Obviously this isn't exactly what you're talking about, but does help you to understand where your car is on the road.

What they do is have the driver sit in the drivers seat and another person moves in different areas around the car and when the driver can't see them anymore, they put down a cone (or a waterbottle). In the end you can get out of the car and see all the spaces that aren't visible when you are in the vehicle.

You don't have to necessarily do the exercise, but you could use their idea of using painted water bottles instead of cones as something you can hit.
I saw something like that in a drivers' safety class when I was still working. There they used a big rig and put cars around the truck while it was moving and showed what the driver saw. Then they pulled the camera back from above, I guess with a helicopter, this was before drones, and there were all these cars that the driver could not see.
I remember there was one on each side just behind where the driver could see them directly but not yet picked up by the side mirrors. The one that has stayed with me was the one right behind the truck and another behind that one which were invisible from the driver's seat. The idea was to show us where NOT to be around a truck going down the highway. Most people follow a truck too close or ride next to one. Remember that if you can't see the driver either directly or in his mirrors then he can't see you either.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw something like that in a drivers' safety class when I was still working. There they used a big rig and put cars around the truck while it was moving and showed what the driver saw. Then they pulled the camera back from above, I guess with a helicopter, this was before drones, and there were all these cars that the driver could not see.
I remember there was one on each side just behind where the driver could see them directly but not yet picked up by the side mirrors. The one that has stayed with me was the one right behind the truck and another behind that one which were invisible from the driver's seat. The idea was to show us where NOT to be around a truck going down the highway. Most people follow a truck too close or ride next to one. Remember that if you can't see the driver either directly or in his mirrors then he can't see you either.
I love this. My sister went to a demonstration in Texas where she sat in the drivers seat of a big rig and they had cars sitting around it that you could only see once you got out of the truck There was a complete car in front of the truck that could not be seen.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think I would ever be brave enough to drive a huge truck. :fear::eek2:

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
They were only sitting in a parked truck with vehicles all around to demonstrate what you could NOT see.

When I first got a van I thought t would be difficult to drive and it turned out it was actually easier as I could see farther in front past cars that I could not see before. I have sat in my son's big rig and it looks to be as easy as driving a van and you can see even farther. To bad that I am an old lady with her working days behind her. If I was younger I would not hesitate to get a commercial license and try to learn to drive a big rig, there are plenty of women doing that now. If you don't have kids and maybe not even a spouse or other significant other I ca imagine it being quite a life. Those big rigs are self-contained with all the comforts of home: my son's has a refrigerator and a microwave in it and of course a twin-size bunk, he even has a port-a-potty just in case the urge hits him and he is a long way from a rest stop. So far he has used it only once when caught in a snow storm on Donner Pass and all the roads were closed to cars and trucks had to have chains and traffic was still just crawling at 10 mph. took a long time to get over that pass and he could not wait any longer.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How are some people able to walk out into the pouring rain with heavy wind with zero rain gear and not get soaked? :confused2: :headscratch: There were plenty of people at the transit station today who were nearly bone dry even though they had to walk in from the outside. Me? I was soaked from the waist down despite wearing rain boots and a long coat and I had an umbrella.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How are some people able to walk out into the pouring rain with heavy wind with zero rain gear and not get soaked? :confused2: :headscratch: There were plenty of people at the transit station today who were nearly bone dry even though they had to walk in from the outside. Me? I was soaked from the waist down despite wearing rain boots and a long coat and I had an umbrella.
I never wear rain gear and don't own an umbrella. I get wet but never soaked. Maybe because I'm an Aquarius. lol
Sorry to hear you got soaked, try not to get sick.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aedan still isn't talking much. He says "mama," "dada," and "my." But, now he meows. He talks to the cats. I wonder if they can understand each other.
Let us know if he starts purring. Better yet, post a video.

Nor I. I've seen the runaway truck lanes in the mountains.

Those big rigs are self-contained with all the comforts of home: my son's has a refrigerator and a microwave in it and of course a twin-size bunk, he even has a port-a-potty just in case the urge hits him and he is a long way from a rest stop. So far he has used it only once when caught in a snow storm on Donner Pass and all the roads were closed to cars and trucks had to have chains and traffic was still just crawling at 10 mph. took a long time to get over that pass and he could not wait any longer.
All the comforts of home except a shower; for that you need a truck stop. It's also difficult to travel with cats.

:cold: When I was caught in a blizzard on Donner Pass we found a motel with one unit still available and a nearby pizza parlor. We rented the room, got takeout pizza, and ate it in the room.

There have been times when I've seriously wanted a porta potty of some sort in my car, though - most recently on my way back from Wyoming after the solar eclipse. Getting out of the little town where I was and back to the highway took hours; by the time I got to a gas station I was desperate for a potty and gas, in that order.

:dunno: Dunno; I keep a small umbrella in the car, as well as a rain cape.

Margret

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't even bother with an umbrella. Aedan is too squirmy. I wrap a blanket around him and try to hold it over his head and run as fast as I can while getting soaked. He usually stays mostly dry, though.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Be glad it's the cats. When my son was 3, he had a conversation with a rattlesnake. Fortunately, it was under the part of the gutter drain where it bent onto the ground, so it couldn't strike. I freaked and after some working at it, managed to chop it's head. You know the saying...'Hell hath no fury like a mother protecting her young'.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Someone at work just left for the day and I don't think her supervisor is aware of it. She mentioned that once her supervisor leaves (he left early to head to the company's ski retreat thing this weekend), she'll leave too and put in hours for a full day. Her job function is similar to mine, just more technical stuff. Wish I could leave whenever I wanted to. I don't think my supervisor would care much as long as I ask first but at the same time I don't want this to come up as a negative on my next performance review. Still paranoid after everything that happened at the last job :paranoid:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chain of events:
1) don't get a flu shot
2) get the flu
3) leave a giant sweat stain that goes through the sheets and onto the mattress cover
4) decide to help your fiancé prop the mattress against the wall to take ofc the cover and step on the bed frame
5) the stats do not support your weight so you go tumbling down into the hollow part of your bed between the under-bed drawers, breaking a slat.
6) end up injuring your knee

How's your Saturday?

Status
Not open for further replies.