The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I once heard someone say "Life sucks, and then you die". Another example of that popped up today, when Michele's older brother, who is a year younger than me, was taken to the hospital. Kevin served in Vietnam in '70 and '71, and after all these years it looks like Agent Orange has reached out and grabbed him. They aren't sure, but it looks like leukemia. If that indeed is the case, that makes5 guys that I know or knew personally to be so affected.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I make awesome sweet tea. My family goes through about a gallon a day...that's a lot of sugar usage.
I love sweet tea. But Southern style is TOO sweet for me. I like 2/3 cup of sugar per gallon of tea. I've heard that a proper Southern recipe is 1 cup per gallon (though I'm sure everybody has their own special recipe).

Most of the gas stations and restaurants here have sweet tea now. That's only happened in the last 5 years or so; before that I always had to ask for suagr packets when I ordered tea. But if they make it Southern style, I have to mix it with unsweetened tea.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agent Orange has reached out and grabbed him. They aren't sure, but it looks like leukemia.
That stinks. My uncle has some health problems that may or may not be caused by Agent Orange, but not leukemia.

My dad knew like 5 guys who all died young of leukemia (but that was in the '80s---they have much better treatments now) and they had all served on the same nuclear submarine. I feel like something happened on that sub that the Navy didn't want anyone to know about. . .

(Nevermind, I guess they did finally admit it. Back then they wouldn't admit anything to the families.
Military Occupational Exposure to Radiation - Public Health)

Last edited:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a while since I've been on this thread (:paperbag:) so I'm catching up now, and I don't have time to read through the whole thing right now. I'm currently on page 68, so I'm basically responding to things from the end of last month. Please bear this in mind.
They've done some more scans and tests. This tumor has caused a new thing in his lungs and they don't know what it is, yet. There's a small spot in each lung.
This is a really unique case. They're asking doctors all over the country, trying to figure out what to do. They've asked to write a case report about it because they've never seen this before. He's such a special kid. This isn't fair.
And they found a doctor who has seen this before. So they're not flying blind anymore.
That's very encouraging. Something you may want to suggest that they ask the doctors about - I've seen reports that in some cases of inoperable brain tumors they've injected polio (yes, the actual live virus!) into the tumor, with the result that the immune system attacks the polio, killing the tumor in the process. (This works because we've all received the polio vaccine.)

Lose weight? BUT IT DOESN'T SAY HOW MUCH COFFEE! Must drink more...
Just be careful that you don't drink too much - that can result in weight loss, all right, but it will be water weight, which is not what you have in mind. :evilgrin:

Margret

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I once heard someone say "Life sucks, and then you die". Another example of that popped up today, when Michele's older brother, who is a year younger than me, was taken to the hospital. Kevin served in Vietnam in '70 and '71, and after all these years it looks like Agent Orange has reached out and grabbed him. They aren't sure, but it looks like leukemia. If that indeed is the case, that makes5 guys that I know or knew personally to be so affected.
I am so sorry to hear this.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
What's on my mind? The kittens and cats I've now attracted to my house by leaving food out for them and have taken upon myself to look after. I asked my mom, "Before this goes any further, would you be upset if I got involved with the cats outside?" And her immediate response was, "Yes!" Simply because she thinks I'll take them all inside and keep them. "I know you!" She said, and she's not wrong. They've already all got names. But that's not the issue. The issue is the fact that Felix was so sick and she's afraid it'll happen again if we get another cat. I can't blame her. I'm scared too. That's the only thing keeping me from taking them in. As of right now, I know a rescue that helps kittens and they'd take them... What to do, what to do?! (You don't have to answer that question - just thinking to myself)

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
So yesterday it was very hot but not a cloud in the sky. I think it was about 6:pm or so. I was inside and all of a sudden the eerie, creepy severe weather siren went off but the storm began so quickly I could barely hear the siren. Hail was pelting the windows, the winds were strong, and the rain was coming down in sheets. I looked outside from the slider and my patio umbrella and all 3 chairs were on the lawn. I keep the umbrella attached to the big chair by using a bungee cord but it had become loose. The base from the umbrella was tipped over. I waited for the storm to pass, it lasted about 15-20 minutes, and was able to get everything back on the deck which was difficult for me because of my physical problems with my hands and arms. What bothered me was my nosy neighbors, not the couple who live on the other side of the duplex, were watching me from their kitchen window and made no attempt to offer any help. I waved to them but felt like flipping them off.

We're supposed to have more storms today but I'll be prepared. The Vincie girl and Big Cal are on the deck now watching the birds.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
What's on my mind? The kittens and cats I've now attracted to my house by leaving food out for them and have taken upon myself to look after. I asked my mom, "Before this goes any further, would you be upset if I got involved with the cats outside?" And her immediate response was, "Yes!" Simply because she thinks I'll take them all inside and keep them. "I know you!" She said, and she's not wrong. They've already all got names. But that's not the issue. The issue is the fact that Felix was so sick and she's afraid it'll happen again if we get another cat. I can't blame her. I'm scared too. That's the only thing keeping me from taking them in. As of right now, I know a rescue that helps kittens and they'd take them... What to do, what to do?! (You don't have to answer that question - just thinking to myself)
Maybe keep one and have the rescue take the others? What did you name them?

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love sweet tea. But Southern style is TOO sweet for me. I like 2/3 cup of sugar per gallon of tea. I've heard that a proper Southern recipe is 1 cup per gallon (though I'm sure everybody has their own special recipe).

Most of the gas stations and restaurants here have sweet tea now. That's only happened in the last 5 years or so; before that I always had to ask for suagr packets when I ordered tea. But if they make it Southern style, I have to mix it with unsweetened tea.
I love ice tea but I like to sweeten it myself.

FflurCadwgawn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds like everyone has a lot going on! :hug

I got the chance last week out of the blue to FINALLY write up the historical narrative for the cemetery I desperately wanted to do my Master's thesis in back in 2010-2012, and would have had 1, the archaeology professor not retired and 2, the grad school program I attended not been on its way out. The town supervisor herself personally called to see what could be done to preserve the site! I told her I could have the preliminary report ready by August 14.

The problem is that a preliminary report for ANY archaeological investigation (cemetery or otherwise) always is about 70 pages......

I got the historical narrative done yesterday and now it's on to a stone survey. Did I mention that I am one of about 4 people total looking at this cemetery, and the first in this century, and its associated community is basically our local version of Camelot, aka so highly mythologized nobody knows the truth anymore? I discovered that in the 1920s there was a rumor that a brother of Abraham Lincoln was supposed to have been buried there (debunked that via logic yesterday).

*cracks knuckles, grabs the anti-poison ivy remedies, and dons the fedora* I got this.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My grandpa died this morning. We knew it was coming and both of my parents have been in Florida with him for the last week or two. I visited him in March knowing it was probably the last time I was going to see him.

I've had all day to process it and I oddly feel happy. I'm not happy that he's gone or that we all miss him, but I'm happy knowing he's with my grandma again and the memories that both my grandparents left behind were good and full of love. At the end of my life, I can only hope that my loved ones feel I left them with good memories and love.

My dad, who was with my grandpa when he died, said my grandpa had been talking to someone off and on for 2 hours last night. When my mom left him for the night, she said he was also talking to and kissing someone and he said it was my grandma who died in 2013. My mom said nobody's phones were working properly yesterday which is what happened when my grandma died, so my mom really felt her mom was nearby just waiting for my grandpa.
I'm so sorry for your loss.

It's a while since I've been on this thread (:paperbag:) so I'm catching up now, and I don't have time to read through the whole thing right now. I'm currently on page 68, so I'm basically responding to things from the end of last month. Please bear this in mind.

That's very encouraging. Something you may want to suggest that they ask the doctors about - I've seen reports that in some cases of inoperable brain tumors they've injected polio (yes, the actual live virus!) into the tumor, with the result that the immune system attacks the polio, killing the tumor in the process. (This works because we've all received the polio vaccine.)

Just be careful that you don't drink too much - that can result in weight loss, all right, but it will be water weight, which is not what you have in mind. :evilgrin:

Margret
I'll mention that to my sister. They did surgery and got 1/2 to 3/4 of the tumor. They didn't want to lower his chances of surviving the surgery by going after more.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh gosh, Katie M Katie M -- hope no complications and that you feel much better! or will soon!
F FflurCadwgawn That's a good thing you're doing. We believe very strongly in honoring our ancestors and respecting their places of rest.
Graceful-Lily Graceful-Lily You know a bona fide rescue that can take them? Amazingly wonderful! We are put on this earth to serve and to help others in need. It is a very good thing you are doing. Follow your heart, within the parameters of your family's requirements. That would be my best suggestion.
Mia6 Mia6 Glad you are all safe. Neighbors can be funny, can't they? This morning when I was bringing rubbish barrels in, saw two of my neighbors but they weren't looking my way and I didn't want to yell, so said nothing. We say hi when we do see each other, though, and though one can be noisy, which I don't like, I think they're both good people and would help if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.