The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're gonna be ok.
We have HUD - income based housing. Well, we had a meeting with them today. Their policy is that no one can survive on 0 income - which is true, obviously. So our rent drops to 0 and they send us a check to pay our utilities until he finds a job. I didn't know that was a thing. So we're not going to be homeless! And his previous job is being considered noncompliant by the food stamp office so they're taking our word for it. We won't starve!
He's still not gonna mess around with finding a job. He's put in so many applications and still doing more. And he has an interview tomorrow.
I can't stop crying. I didn't even cry when he got fired but nowI just can't stop. It's such a huge weight off my shoulders.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're gonna be ok.
We have HUD - income based housing. Well, we had a meeting with them today. Their policy is that no one can survive on 0 income - which is true, obviously. So our rent drops to 0 and they send us a check to pay our utilities until he finds a job. I didn't know that was a thing. So we're not going to be homeless! And his previous job is being considered noncompliant by the food stamp office so they're taking our word for it. We won't starve!
He's still not gonna mess around with finding a job. He's put in so many applications and still doing more. And he has an interview tomorrow.
I can't stop crying. I didn't even cry when he got fired but nowI just can't stop. It's such a huge weight off my shoulders.
Unfortunately, as we all undoubtedly know, getting fired is far from rare these days. With probably hundreds of applicants to choose from for a lot of jobs, the employers don't care and workers don't have many rights now. We're definitely regressing back to the "bad old days" in that way. *PRAYERS* for you and your family! I am glad to read your news and I hope that there's a good job in his near future. :vibes::vibes::vibes::hugs::hangin::goodluck:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're gonna be ok.
As well as food stamps, you may want to check into medical with the DES office. I don't know when John's insurance runs out, but if it is discontinued also, this is a thought.

FflurCadwgawn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wellp. My chiropractor medically benched me from archaeology work. Turns out I did something similar to a slipped rib aka mild dislocated rib. Today was the first time in several weeks I'm relatively pain free. Loads of fun.......not. sigh. The pain is really affecting how my anxiety meds are behaving--I'm basically allergic to every pain relief med except Tylenol. (My normal level of anxiety is horror movie jump scare level ALL THE TIME.) The pain is at the charleyhorse stage now, especially when I sit in a soft chair, which makes driving *loads of fun*. :D:argh:

Going back to my chiropractor later this week. That man has magic hands.

Last edited:

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Wellp. My chiropractor medically benched me from archaeology work. Turns out I did something similar to a slipped rib aka mild dislocated rib. Today was the first time in several weeks I'm relatively pain free. Loads of fun.......not. sigh. The pain is really affecting how my anxiety meds are behaving--I'm basically allergic to every pain relief med except Tylenol. (My normal level of anxiety is horror movie jump scare level ALL THE TIME.) The pain is at the charleyhorse stage now, especially when I sit in a soft chair, which makes driving *loads of fun*. :D:argh:

Awww.... so sorry. I have anxiety as well. Hope you can get some relief from your chiropractor. Have you asked doc about the anxiety acting up because you have more pain? I have chronic pain due to surgery I had in 2000 and my pain management doc prescribed meds that don't interfere with my anxiety.

Feel better. :alright:

FflurCadwgawn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can't take most meds because I'm allergic to the fillers that are used. We found an herb that works really well (catnip, I kid you not), and this week we decided to go the pill route as I've been taking it in tea form at night. I have also been using my heating pad a ton even though Buffalo is getting to the hot and muggy stage (for us that's anything above 70 F).

The injury has definitely been getting better but I'm still benched until July. Zero point in making it worse.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
I can't take most meds because I'm allergic to the fillers that are used. We found an herb that works really well (catnip, I kid you not), and this week we decided to go the pill route as I've been taking it in tea form at night. I have also been using my heating pad a ton even though Buffalo is getting to the hot and muggy stage (for us that's anything above 70 F).

The injury has definitely been getting better but I'm still benched until July. Zero point in making it worse.
Heating pads make a big difference. :hellocomputer:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Not to throw a spanner in the works, but my chiro told me NEVER to use dry heat on these kinds of injuries, only moist heat. I have this cloth bag filled with rice and herbs that can be nuked for up to 2 minutes and applied to the pain. It really, really works great. (It can also be put in the freezer for cold pain relief.)
That's too bad that you're benched. I haven't done any archaeology, but am fascinated by it and envy anyone who's doing it! Hope you can get clearance ASAP.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I don't know if you can get it over-the-counter like I can, but have you tried CBD oil?

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just posted in All things books and reading, but thought I should post here as well.

Today only (July 17, 2019), Gwen Cooper's wonderful Homer's Odyssey is on sale in electronic format for $1.99 at all major retailers.

Margret

FflurCadwgawn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I looked into the CBD oil but it was pretty pricey and my insurance won't cover chiropractic or herbalists. :\

My heating pad delivers moist heat. It's been the only way I can sit down for two weeks. I'm done with this whole thing.

On the list of archaeology related injuries, I've already had experience with lumbar pain, shoddy knees, sitting in ant nests in the middle of units, malaria mosquitos, hypothermia, heat exhaustion, and carpal tunnel and tennis elbow from hand troweling through packed gravel. Guess it was just a matter of time for a misaligned rib to happen.

Indiana Jones and Daniel Jackson lied to me yet again about what archaeologists get up to in the field.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's normal. In the middle of the crisis, adrenaline keeps you going, so you can do what you have to do, but those feelings just get put on hold - you still have to feel them once the immediate crisis is over.

The one and only time that I've felt actively suicidal was just after I'd been told that my husband wasn't dying after all, and this is why. (I called the Ask-A-Nurse program of our health insurance, in the middle of the night, and she explained it to me and got me through the crisis.)

Margret

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today only (July 17, 2019), Gwen Cooper's wonderful Homer's Odyssey is on sale in electronic format for $1.99 at all major retailers.
Excuse me! That should read: "Today only (June 20, 2019), Gwen Cooper's wonderful Homer's Odyssey is on sale in electronic format for $1.99 at all major retailers."

Sorry for the confusion!

Margret

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
We're gonna be ok.
Oh Alicia! I am so happy for you!! What a huge relief! :clap::hugs::rbheart:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Excuse me! That should read: "Today only (June 20, 2019), Gwen Cooper's wonderful Homer's Odyssey is on sale in electronic format for $1.99 at all major retailers."

Sorry for the confusion!

Margret
That is a hard book to read. Once Homer went off on (how many pages?) of cheese and wine while Odysseus was in the cyclops cave, I couldn't follow it anymore.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
~cries a few happy/relieved tears in solidarity~

That is a hard book to read. Once Homer went off on (how many pages?) of cheese and wine while Odysseus was in the cyclops cave, I couldn't follow it anymore.
Wrong "Homer's Odyssey." The Cooper book is about a blind kitten.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really love this picture.

John has a job interview tomorrow! It's a very well-paying job - must better than his former job. Fingers crossed!
Great picture - everyone looks so contented.

:crossfingers: for the job interview; maybe this unjust firing will prove to be a blessing in disguise. (Wonderful things, but I just wish the disguises weren't so good.)

Margret

Status
Not open for further replies.