The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, got some good news and bad news.

Bad news: there is a mouse in the house. Ew.

Good news: Teddy caught it.

Bad news: he thinks it's a really cool toy and put it down to bat it around like any of his toys, so it got away.

Well at least I know he is capable of catching mice lol hope he doesn't eat one because who knows where that thing has been 🤮 he is now obsessively hunting for it which will probably keep him busy while I finish sleeping.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, got some good news and bad news.

Bad news: there is a mouse in the house. Ew.

Good news: Teddy caught it.

Bad news: he thinks it's a really cool toy and put it down to bat it around like any of his toys, so it got away.

Well at least I know he is capable of catching mice lol hope he doesn't eat one because who knows where that thing has been 🤮 he is now obsessively hunting for it which will probably keep him busy while I finish sleeping.
It's that time of year. So far this week we've killed two mice and a packrat under the house. I know there's another packrat, I can hear him doing a drum solo under there, but so far he's evaded the traps.

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's that time of year. So far this week we've killed two mice and a packrat under the house. I know there's another packrat, I can hear him doing a drum solo under there, but so far he's evaded the traps.
A RAT? Has your cats been on the hunt? Pretty sure the mouse was in my room grabbing grass seed litter for nesting.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't usually take pictures of them. However, I have killed some that are as big as my Morkie. Not as tall, although she's pretty small. I do remember measuring one at one time and it was 8" long (nose to butt, not the tail). I didn't measure height, hard to when they're dead in a trap, but if I had to guess I would say 4-5 inches. (without it standing up, it's really hard to tell).

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My indoor cats have gotten 4 rodents in the last 2 weeks :/. I think they were young rats, not mice. Well, OK, they chased one out of the cat room and one of the dogs killed it, so I guess the cats can only count 3 ;). I also found an adult rat dead in the outdoor dog water bucket. I don't know if the dogs killed it and dropped it in there, or if it fell in trying to get a drink and drowned. Rats are pretty good swimmers though, so I'm guessing the dogs killed it first.

Ugh. I don't want to put traps out, and poison is definitely out of the question of course, but I can't really go on with rats running around either. I hope the animals take care of it so I don't have to do anything. I should set the boa constrictor loose in the attic, lol (not an option; they're tropical so he'd get pneumonia, plus if he got out and an owl ate him that would be an expensive owl meal!).

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yeah, caffeine during pregnancy doesn't even cause ADHD. It can cause low birth weight. Aedan was 7lbs 15oz at birth, so the caffeine I had while pregnant with him obviously didn't hurt him. And he's a big boy so he's doing fine now.
Thank GOD I drank copious amounts of coffee while I was pregnant! My elder was 8 pounds, 14 ounces and 27 inches long...if I stunted that one, it's probably as well that I did! And he's JUST shy of 6'10" now. Which really ticked him off, because neither the Navy SEALS or the Army Rangers would take him, because EVERY piece of equipment almost would have to be special made. Nothing standard would be big enough! #2 son wasn't quite as big...8 pounds, 6 ounces, and 23 inches long (and 6'3" now). Still very respectable for "stunted" babies.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mice/rats/packrats love wires. If you do nothing, then you run the risk of an electrical fire in your home.
Which is worse?
The wires in my "house" (which is a converted old barn) are in metal conduits, not in the walls. So hopefully are safe from gnawing critters.

But if they keep hanging around I'll have to do something. I'm just terrified of one not being killed instantly. I don't think I'm capable of close-range killing. Maybe a live trap and take them 10 miles away across the river.

I'm hoping they get a clue that living in one of the outbuildings would be safer. There's no lack of leftover corn in the fields.

Last edited:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The wires in my "house" (which is a converted old barn) are in metal conduits, not in the walls. So hopefully are safe from gnawing critters.
That's good. Most homes aren't and mice will eat through the wires. If I ever had a home custom built (like I could afford that) I would do the wires the way yours are.

Status
Not open for further replies.