The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot you were in Canada. Yeah, pricing and/or availability may be different.

The Petsmart here has very few Bettas, no real variety. Petco is the one that has a bunch. But Petsmart has the better variety and pricing for tanks and decor. Haha, it's all complicated. Good thing you have a few months to prepare so you can find the best deal!

Check out Facebook Marketplace for used tanks too. So many people buy one and then lose interest quickly, so buying a new one is rarely necessary.
I actually found someone selling a complete set up about an hour ago on Kijiji. I just kept looking and searching for different key words. It's a 35 gallon tank with heater, filter, air pump, gravel, and an ornament. I'm going to go look at it tomorrow. Hopefully I don't run into any problems.

Don't buy one from Walmart. My son and his GF have bought 3 from there and within 2 months they started leaking. Every one of them. Almost killed the fish because it wasn't noticed immediately. Besides, they are doing away with their fish stuff.
Yeah, that is what I saw in majority of all the negative reviews. People going to work and coming home to water everywhere and fish gasping for air in the empty tank or half dead. I'm also starting to notice this with aquariums from other pet stores. Well, that and light fixtures failing after months or even weeks of owner the product and the companies that manufacture them not having replacements or answering complaints. *Sigh* Things really are NOT like they used to be. Many many years ago, when my mom bought a 10 gallon aquarium kit from Walmart, it was the strongest thing ever. Boy did that thing take a beating. Too bad I donated it.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you considered females. My son has a 10 gallon tank (in my bathroom) with 5 females. Although I believe the blue on is a plakat, not sure though. Females live happily together as long as they have some room, and a 10 gallon tank is perfect.
Since I want to believe the blue is male, I've named them David, Jodi, Martha, Donna and Rose.
View attachment 306140View attachment 306141
I love their names! So sweet

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There are two trailers out now!

Are you a fan of the books or games? I've never read the books and have only seen clips of the games, but to me the show looks awesome.
The books are what I am somewhat familiar with. I don't do games much. It's the trailers that really caught my eye.

I've heard that some bettas like green peas, fresh or a thawed frozen one.
Dunno about bettas, but rats LOVE peas! If you ever want to have fun, fill a sweater storage box with water, toss in a handful of frozen peas, and turn 5 rats loose in there. Olympic Diving for Peas competition! Lord, I miss having pet rats! I don' think that Hekitty would approve, though.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
The books are what I am somewhat familiar with. I don't do games much. It's the trailers that really caught my eye.

Dunno about bettas, but rats LOVE peas! If you ever want to have fun, fill a sweater storage box with water, toss in a handful of frozen peas, and turn 5 rats loose in there. Olympic Diving for Peas competition! Lord, I miss having pet rats! I don' think that Hekitty would approve, though.
I used to have pet rats, they are amazing animals!

Sidewinder

"Say what, crackerhead?"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They're very intelligent too... the pack rat I inherited when I bought my home was insanely clever, it took me two months to trap him!!! By that time I had enough respect for the varmint to let him live, I simply gave him a limo ride to the outskirts of town, then released him into a field with nearby brush, a fallen log, etc., where he hopefully found a new home. My parting words were: "Go be a pack rat... just don't do it under my house!!!" :cool2:

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I just love how cuddly and loving they are. Mine used to all huddle together at nighttime and I'd sing to them and rub their heads until they all fell asleep. Sometimes, they'd clean my hands or try to pull me into their huddle. They are also super gentle. Never bit me once.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've heard that some bettas like green peas, fresh or a thawed frozen one.
I was going to keep this in mind, but from what I just read on that excellent betta fish site, apparently Betta fish are meat eaters and so peas are not a good idea.

On my mind is that one of the neighbors is going to find out what we need to do in order to get speed bumps on our street...

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the pack rat I inherited when I bought my home was insanely clever, it took me two months to trap him!!!
You trapped it? Is your home okay?
I don't mess around with them. I've killed a few that were as big as my Morkie (no exageration). They chew through insulation, wires and even got in my car engine once and chewed through a wire which set my engine on fire. The car was a loss.
When I hear them doing a drum solo on the pipes under the house, out comes the trap.

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ordered the boys some more Tiki cat raw. It's cheaper getting it at the store, but sometimes I just don't feel like driving up there. The shipping was pretty quick. Order it Sunday, and got it today. Wasn't frozen but it was still very cold like it just started defrosting today. I'll obviously check it, give it a smell, to make sure everything is fine, but I wasn't expecting it to be frozen solid. It's actually kind of convenient not having to defrost an ice block of turkey. Curious how they will like quail.

Reminds me of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.
Never read the book or seen the movie, is that something that happened?

W Willowy
source.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.