The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They won't be as bad if you get them every year. What you're experiencing is your body learning to recognize the virus and fight it off it sees it again.

John and Aedan got theirs at the health department. I held off because my OB will give me one at my next appointment and I didn't want to take one away from someone who didn't have another option because the health department has a limited supply.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Or maybe you guys actually have the flu. It takes 2 weeks for the flu vaccine to be fully effective. If you were exposed before you got the shot, you'll get the flu. Or you might have another bug. I was pretty sick last week and went to the doctor. I had all the flu symptoms, but the flu test was negative. It might just be a coincidence that you both got really sick after the shot.
John and Aedan are both fine. Aedan had his first flu shot last year and he was cranky and feverish for a day. This year, it hasn't' seemed to affect him at all.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't doubt it if he was a psychopath...I just hope he's not raising his daughter to be a mini version of himself. I wish I could keep him at arm's length but it can be hard to avoid him during times like these because we're so understaffed he has to come in to help out. He's not even good at his job, which is funny since he's been in this business for a very long time. Before we hired someone for the morning shift down in ED, he'd sometimes be there, and I'd have to clean up the messes he made :rolleyes:

Who knows what was going through that woman's head. I just hope she suffers the consequences of her actions.
Well, parental influence does tend to be pretty strong in most families, both for better or for worse. Hopefully she'll be intelligent enough to choose differently.
I was left with the mess an alcoholic former co-worker made when she left -- and BLAMED for it. *It was a very messed-up company in more ways than one.*

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, parental influence does tend to be pretty strong in most families, both for better or for worse. Hopefully she'll be intelligent enough to choose differently.
I was left with the mess an alcoholic former co-worker made when she left -- and BLAMED for it. *It was a very messed-up company in more ways than one.*
Hopefully when she grows up she realizes just how toxic her dad is because he has hurt so many people with his lack of compassion and empathy. He's just such a horrible human.

Man that sucks. Cleaning up after co-workers is one thing, but to be blamed for their mess? :headshake:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hopefully when she grows up she realizes just how toxic her dad is because he has hurt so many people with his lack of compassion and empathy. He's just such a horrible human.

Man that sucks. Cleaning up after co-workers is one thing, but to be blamed for their mess? :headshake:
Yeah. Alcohol and brains are NOT a good mix.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Or maybe you guys actually have the flu. It takes 2 weeks for the flu vaccine to be fully effective. If you were exposed before you got the shot, you'll get the flu. Or you might have another bug. I was pretty sick last week and went to the doctor. I had all the flu symptoms, but the flu test was negative. It might just be a coincidence that you both got really sick after the shot.
John and Aedan are both fine. Aedan had his first flu shot last year and he was cranky and feverish for a day. This year, it hasn't' seemed to affect him at all.
No, I think it would be worse if it was the actual flu. I'm not shivering anymore and hopefully the headache will be gone by tomorrow.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I got my very first flu shot yesterday because fiancé thought with the wedding and honeymoon we should have them, and I feel awful right now, which seems to be getting worse as the day goes on. Shivering and headaches. I can't wait until it's time to go home.
I hope you are feeling better today. I've felt a bit "off" before after a flu shot. I've only had a bigger reaction once, where I went to bed for around 24 hours. I know of others that had the same reaction that year.

Ooh, I want to go there. Should probably move it to IMO though.
Yep.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't unless you want to hear some truly awful things. A former friend is an antivaxxer. I lost respect for him after he said protecting the vulnerable through herd immunity isn't important because diseases are supposed to kill the weak, keeping our gene pool strong and ensuring the survival of our species.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah I've been lurking around anti-vaxxer sites so I know most of the arguments now. Some are incredibly wacky.

The argument for those who say that diseases weed out the weak is easy: sure, fine, you can die if you want, I don't intend to be "weeded out" myself (or have my kid/cat/dog be one of those who are "weeded out"), "weak" or not.

It's the ones who think vaccines are truly more dangerous than the diseases that I'd like to engage.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm reading the local obituaries (strange hobby, I know, lol, but I always keep up on them) and I've noticed a trend that most of the elderly people (85+) who died had 10 or 12 siblings, but most of them had no more than 5 or 6 kids, and often only 2 or 3. I wonder what changed between the 1920s/'30s and the 1940s/'50s?

It wasn't birth control; that didn't come until the '60s and wasn't in wide use until the '70s. It wasn't economic; people in the '50s were generally better off than those in the '30s. Maybe a fear of being as poor as their family was in the '30s?

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm reading the local obituaries (strange hobby, I know, lol, but I always keep up on them) and I've noticed a trend that most of the elderly people (85+) who died had 10 or 12 siblings, but most of them had no more than 5 or 6 kids, and often only 2 or 3. I wonder what changed between the 1920s/'30s and the 1940s/'50s?

It wasn't birth control; that didn't come until the '60s and wasn't in wide use until the '70s. It wasn't economic; people in the '50s were generally better off than those in the '30s. Maybe a fear of being as poor as their family was in the '30s?
I read them, too. :)

One of the reasons for smaller families in the ‘40s and ‘50s may be because young men returning from the war were increasingly turning away from family farms and migrating toward cities, looking for different kinds of jobs and lifestyles. The G.I. Bill made it possible for them to look for new opportunities. They didn’t need a dozen kids to work the fields and bring in the harvest. Another reason could be that the use of tractors became more prevalent in the ‘40s so even those who stayed in farming needed fewer hands on the family farm.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read them, too. :)

One of the reasons for smaller families in the ‘40s and ‘50s may be because young men returning from the war were increasingly turning away from family farms and migrating toward cities, looking for different kinds of jobs and lifestyles. The G.I. Bill made it possible for them to look for new opportunities. They didn’t need a dozen kids to work the fields and bring in the harvest. Another reason could be that the use of tractors became more prevalent in the ‘40s so even those who stayed in farming needed fewer hands on the family farm.
It was and still is tradition for people in some backgrounds, including mine, to have large families. On each side, of my family, kids died either in infancy or in one case, due to a crime. People didn't know about/have access to/use birth control back then, and since a lot of kids did die in infancy or from diseases or other reasons, it was kind of "insurance" to have a lot of kids. And yes, if people were in agriculture, they needed more kids to work.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of the reasons for smaller families in the ‘40s and ‘50s may be because young men returning from the war were increasingly turning away from family farms and migrating toward cities, looking for different kinds of jobs and lifestyles.
Yeah but this is a farming area and most of them were farmers. Even my uncle's family---farmers to the max!--- "only" had 6 kids. They were Catholic too. His dad came from a family of 13 I think. I don't know what they did to have fewer, except stay away from each other, haha.
Another reason could be that the use of tractors became more prevalent in the ‘40s so even those who stayed in farming needed fewer hands on the family farm.
Now that might be it. Makes sense.

One of them is for a 95-year-old lady who had 12 kids (so she kind of bucked the trend I was noticing). But only 13 grandkids! She was survived by 10 of her kids so it's not because they mostly died in childhood. Maybe her kids didn't like growing up in such a large family. . .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.