The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My mother told me a long time ago to always take safety pins and a small sewing kit to weddings, that the bride would love me forever. She was right!
Mine told me to never leave the house without little gold safety pins, which amounts to the same thing, I suppose.

Start a thread about your wedding here. Vent away all you want. We all also love pictures and ideas and all of that. :lol:
I didn't even think to start a wedding thread here! Anyone who isn't interested can easily ignore it. I might just do that, to give myself another place to get down ideas
YES! And put a link to it here so we can all find it and confuse matters even more by weighing in, LOL! I love weddings, and planning them.

Running off and getting married sounds so romantic and all this wedding talk is making me think about it... but I'd need someone to run off with... :think:
I highly recommend a cat. That, might I add, has far more to do with the men I seem to pick that actual men in general.

The regular ones remind me of too many years of school lunches.
Oddly, that's my only good memory of school lunches. For the longest time I didn't know you could actually buy them. I thought they were just a "school thing."

Is it worth my time to search out and buy a straight stitch foot?
Nope. I did some googling, and EVERY PLACE talked about using one foot for straight and zigzag stitching. You're covered.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All this talk about weddings. Why do all the bridesmaids have to wear the same dress? I went to a Catholic church wedding where the 3 bridesmaids and the maid of honor just wore nice dresses that they usually wore to church, none of them matched or were even similar. The bride wore her mother's wedding dress which looked like it had just been designed and not a "hand-me-down", it looked very modern but modest as this was a Catholic wedding. It came with a form-fitting bolero-style lace jacket which she took off at the reception. The groom wore a rental tux, the best man wore a dark suit. The groom was not Catholic so a Protestant minister also officiated. They had a reception afterwards at a clubhouse where the bride's parents had a membership so there was no charge for the room, the kitchen provided big stuffed croissants and salad and lots of wine and beer for a big donation by both sets of parents. Dancing afterwards with music with a disc jockey who was a friend of the couple. My late spouse took all the pictures (he had been a photographer in a previous life). It was a lovely wedding and reception and they saved a ton of money which they could use to start their life together. People spent vast amounts of money for what? $3,000 for a dress which is worn one day only? Bridesmaids dresses which none of them like and can't use again and that they can't afford? These two people are still married some 25+ years later and they did not start out with a huge debt due to a fancy wedding. When did this start that people had to have a wedding fit for a princess?
I just asked my bridesmaids to get purple dresses. Our colors were black and purple. They didn't have to match. That's why I was so annoyed when only one of them got a damn dress. They had 6 months. They could have gone to a thrift store or anything. Or at least let me know more than 2 days in advance and I could have helped them get one. By the way, 2 of my bridesmaids were my dang sisters! The third ended up not being able to get off work even though she asked 6 months in advance when I first asked her. None of her coworkers were able to switch weekends, either. So I also lost my ring bearer cuz it was supposed to be her son. And I couldn't find another little boy. The coworker who was supposed to switch with her changed her mind. Just said, "yeah, I don't feel like doing it now." My mom was going to pick up my friend's son, but then she rolled her car. It was a complete mess! But, I ended up married and I looked beautiful (not to toot my own horn, but I did), so all's well that ends well.
But planning it was a nightmare. Never doing it again.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
Mine told me to never leave the house without little gold safety pins, which amounts to the same thing, I suppose.

YES! And put a link to it here so we can all find it and confuse matters even more by weighing in, LOL! I love weddings, and planning them.

I highly recommend a cat. That, might I add, has far more to do with the men I seem to pick that actual men in general.

Oddly, that's my only good memory of school lunches. For the longest time I didn't know you could actually buy them. I thought they were just a "school thing."

Nope. I did some googling, and EVERY PLACE talked about using one foot for straight and zigzag stitching. You're covered.
I've been using the little fat plastic foot they say is for zigzag forever for just about every kind of stitch. No point in buying more feet for your machine but what came with it.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been using the little fat plastic foot they say is for zigzag forever for just about every kind of stitch. No point in buying more feet for your machine but what came with it.
Are you sure of that? How do I sew zippers without a zipper foot?

Margret

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was looking to buy another litter genie and when I saw the litter genie xl, I thought "Wow! It's bigger so I won't have to change the bag as often! Why not!"
Why not is because when the bag is full it feels like it weighs 40 pounds!
This is just another example of my bad habit of not thinking things through ahead of time.

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone taken milk thistle (silymarin) for themselves before? I bought it for Felix but I heard its good for acne so I decided to try it. Took 2 pills last night and it gave me insomnia. I'm 75% sure my acne is caused by my digestive system. It's like a curse. I have so much little scars and hyperpigmentation. Milk thistle is supposed to detox your liver so I thought it would help. Has anyone had acne problems at all? It has wrecked my self-esteem. People tell me that it's not even that bad but in my mind, it's the worst and life would be more bearable if I had clear skin 24/7.
I have had terrible acne most of my life. Then a few years ago a doctor prescribed Solodyn (generic name is minocyclin ER). It did wonders! Unfortunately, the following year my insurance decided to stop covering that particular medication. Now I just take the regular minocyclin. It doesn't do as good a job as the ER, but much better than without it.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had terrible acne most of my life. Then a few years ago a doctor prescribed Solodyn (generic name is minocyclin ER). It did wonders! Unfortunately, the following year my insurance decided to stop covering that particular medication. Now I just take the regular minocyclin. It doesn't do as good a job as the ER, but much better than without it.
That's the thing though, my acne has never been this bad. Almost a year ago, I'd say it was hardly anything to worry about. But a former friend of mine from college told me to try acne products and my face has never been the same since. Instead of helping me, it got so much worse. I was breaking out every single say and it looked awful. I still have all the hyperpigmentation marks that won't go away. Not to mention the many scars I now have on my cheeks which are supposedly permanent. That's why I've been afraid to try anything else. I strongly believe had I not taken her advice, my skin would be fine today. I don't know what to put on my face anymore. Maybe nothing? It's super sensitive. I was thinking about trying Aloe vera gel or maybe a collagen cream.

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's the thing though, my acne has never been this bad. Almost a year ago, I'd say it was hardly anything to worry about. But a former friend of mine from college told me to try acne products and my face has never been the same since. Instead of helping me, it got so much worse. I was breaking out every single say and it looked awful. I still have all the hyperpigmentation marks that won't go away. Not to mention the many scars I now have on my cheeks which are supposedly permanent. That's why I've been afraid to try anything else. I strongly believe had I not taken her advice, my skin would be fine today. I don't know what to put on my face anymore. Maybe nothing? It's super sensitive. I was thinking about trying Aloe vera gel or maybe a collagen cream.
If at all possible, I would consult with a dermatologist. With a single visit, they could probably steer you in the right direction. Retina-micro is supposed to do wonders for scarring, but with your sensitive skin, I would be cautious.
I had the trifecta of bad skin. Oily, acne so bad it formed cysts, and rosacea.:( At least the minocyclin stopped the acne so I only get a couple small pimples per month.
I have also heard that not consuming dairy can help skin but I don't know if there is any science behind it. Could be an old wives tale.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Dermatologist are expensive here and I don't have a family doctor unfortunately. I've tried the dairy thing, don't know if it made a difference. I promised myself that I wouldn't alter my diet for anything ever again because the last time, I was on my way to developing an eating disorder. It was so restricted because of me not only being vegetarian at the time but also because of the belief that certain foods were causing my acne. It got to the point where I just didn't want to eat anymore. Not going through that again. If I want pizza, imma get a pizza. Honestly speaking, I think I would be more accepting of my acne if I felt like everyone else would accept it. I've gone out before and had people I know, walk up to me and ask, "Oh my... what happened to your face?" Little comments like that are really damaging. I've even had children laugh at me for the hyperpigmentation and scars. And I know children are nasty sometimes but I'm sensitive.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have got to do something about my cords. I'm trying to figure out the best way to wrap them in a harder plastic, that looks nice. Amazon has these things that you intertwine onto cords and they look really nice, but they are only big enough for things like headphones or phone chargers. I need something big enough for HDMI cords, tv cords and computer cords. I also need something for the plugs.
When I got my new TV and rearranged my room, Samai thought I bought her new toys. I've had my TV a week and it already has bite marks in the cord.
Any ideas? I would prefer to not have something big and bulky.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you need a lot of cords to fit, you can usually find a PVC plumbing pipe that's the size you need, of course it has to be at least big enough for the plugs to fit through. It's not fancy looking but it's smooth and if you put it against the wall it won't be very noticable. You can get elbows and other bits to accommodate turns and cover the plugs.

Aquarium airline tubing is good for smaller bunches of cords. You can buy it by the foot at fish stores (Petco and Petsmart used to have it but I don't know if they still do). You just slit it down the side, put the cords in, then some tape or zip ties every 5 feet or so to keep it together.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aquarium airline tubing is good for smaller bunches of cords. You can buy it by the foot at fish stores (Petco and Petsmart used to have it but I don't know if they still do). You just slit it down the side, put the cords in, then some tape or zip ties every 5 feet or so to keep it together.
I thought of doing that. Ace has it in a variety of sizes. We don't have pet stores in my town. I would have to go to the neighboring town.
These are what I was thinking, but they're not big enough.
wire protector.jpg

Last edited:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I went to Napa and got this wire harness protection thingy. It's slit down one side, but it's not very thick. I'll dowse it with Bitter Apple and see if that doesn't deter her. I did have a horse that loved the taste of Creosote and thought it was a treat, but maybe Samai will not like the taste of bitter apple.
I'm still open to a permanent idea, but this should work for now. (hopefully)

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I figured out a long time ago that I'm allergic to everything made by L'oreal. It doesn't make me break out in pimples, it just makes my eyes itch if I get it anywhere near my face. The acne stuff you began using may well have caused irritation that makes your skin break out because your body thinks excess oil will counter the irritation.

It isn't specifically for acne, but the best facial cleanser I've found is Burt's Bees Renewal Refining Cleanser. The key ingredient seems to be stearic acid, which was also the key ingredient in Pond's Vanishing Cream back when they were still making it. This is a mild cleanser that leaves my face feeling clean, not oily but also not all tight and dried out the way some cleansers do. Burt's Bees also has a "Soap Bark & Chamomile deep cleansing cream" which has stearic acid in it, but the thing that makes it "deep cleansing" is menthol, which is an irritant.

I have got to do something about my cords. I'm trying to figure out the best way to wrap them in a harder plastic, that looks nice. Amazon has these things that you intertwine onto cords and they look really nice, but they are only big enough for things like headphones or phone chargers. I need something big enough for HDMI cords, tv cords and computer cords. I also need something for the plugs.
When I got my new TV and rearranged my room, Samai thought I bought her new toys. I've had my TV a week and it already has bite marks in the cord.
Any ideas? I would prefer to not have something big and bulky.
Have you tried double sided Velcro strips? Also, your picture made me think of those curly shoe laces you can find at the grocery store. I get them to use as cat toys, but they would easily wrap around cords. You'd probably need to get several, of course.

Margret

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OH GUYS! RE: The Secret Feral Shelter! Best news ever! I was able to order a weatherproof outside storage bench, and it came in. My next-door neighbor's brother is coming over Sunday afternoon to cut a small access hole in the back panel and put it together for me. Now, instead of a set of plastic shelving covered with a plastic table cloth, this will shelter them:

The cream/brown was prettier, but no one will notice the access hole on this one! AND the bench seat lifts, so I can easily get the bedding out for regular washing! It will sit about 7-8 inches away from my back wall. There's an 18" overhang, so the entrance is sheilded from rain and wind.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried double sided Velcro strips? Also, your picture made me think of those curly shoe laces you can find at the grocery store. I get them to use as cat toys, but they would easily wrap around cords. You'd probably need to get several, of course.
I don't know why it wouldn't let me link the page, but those things are actually hard plastic, but flexible. I think shoe laces would be more of a temptation than I could handle. I caught her dragging a shoe by the lace across the floor a couple of weeks ago.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
OH GUYS! RE: The Secret Feral Shelter! Best news ever! I was able to order a weatherproof outside storage bench, and it came in. My next-door neighbor's brother is coming over Sunday afternoon to cut a small access hole in the back panel and put it together for me. Now, instead of a set of plastic shelving covered with a plastic table cloth, this will shelter them:

The cream/brown was prettier, but no one will notice the access hole on this one! AND the bench seat lifts, so I can easily get the bedding out for regular washing! It will sit about 7-8 inches away from my back wall. There's an 18" overhang, so the entrance is sheilded from rain and wind.
When you decide on bedding see if you can locate some straw. It wont freeze from dampness like towels and blankets. It will keep them warmer than blankets. My gf in Raleigh uses straw in her enclosure and the cats love it. They hunker right down in it. I think that bench is perfect. Next get some nice cushions to "sit" on it and talk to the little kitties inside of the bench. What a fabulous idea! Also if the kitties won't use it consider putting 2 holes in it. An access and exit. Hopefully they won't be stubborn and use it with the one doorway....fill it with catnip too.

Well the truck is giving me heartburn. The mechanic called and said theres some other lines that are leaking. The fuel pump and line from tank to it got replaced but now the line that runs from the tank to the engine is junk. That item had to be ordered from Chevy directly. So thats an additional cost...we are officially over x amount of bucks. I still think it's silly to keep dumping money into this money pit but Jon seems to insist that I could get another 2 years out of it... it's officially over 250k miles and 13 years old. Frame is starting to flake and that tells me..maybe another 6 months or so. Its got rust on edges i need to attend to. The weather hasn't been paint worthy..it's Too cold for that!

Ouch. Good thing I've got tons of books to read this winter. I was going to shut off the cable but looks like thats going to be our entertainment for a bit. I still need my antenna installed but it's much too cold for me to crawl around up on the roof dismantling the dish and installing the antenna. Its digital and supposed to turn for different signals. I got it on a popular site.

my coworker who lives in my neighborhood gets 15 channels with hers and it's all the local channels we already watch. Soon as I install it the cable is getting shut off. There's several tv appps i found... philo is one. They are cheaper than hulu and same channels it seems...so thats whats on my mind...

I still want to get a car...just nothing seems appealing. Either price is too high or too many miles. And don't like the engine it has. I need to test drive a few but seems like the years I'm looking at have little fiddly things wrong with them..I want a V6 Buick. It's what I'm used to and they get pretty decent gas mileage and have power to go....

Status
Not open for further replies.