The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
It was suggested to me that I put a link to the North Carolina TCS get together here. We are hoping to hear from folks who might be interested in having people from NC and adjacent states coming to a meet and greet. We will have it in central NC - maybe Greensboro, Burlington or even Raleigh if it would draw more people. Here is a link to the thread that @sabian started about it.

North Carolina Meet And Greet....

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, Aislyn is back. And we're all pretty ticked off. Her mother decided she was going to homeschool her, which we aren't thrilled about. She needs the socialization. Anyway, we asked if we could have her for Halloween. Since she's homeschooling, it shouldn't be a problem. Well, her mom decided to drop her off yesterday and let us keep her through Halloween. I asked if I should be doing anything with her school and she said, "I haven't gotten the curriculum." So she's not even homeschooling. I checked the laws in Missouri. Legally, she doesn't have to be enrolled until she's 7, so there's nothing we can do. I'm gonna get some workbooks at Wal*Mart so she can at least learn something while she's here.
Also, my MIL bought like $200 worth of clothes for her for school. We sent all her warm stuff with her. MIL asked her mom to bring some of her clothes back. So she brings a bunch of old, nasty looking clothes. MIL thinks her mother probably sold the nice stuff. I refuse to dress a child that way so we're going shopping later. And the really nice winter coat she had last year came back with her. It's not really cold enough for a winter coat, yet, but her mom didn't send any jackets. And the winter coat now has a big cigarette burn in it. Plus, Aislyn's hair was so matted and tangled, I had to fight my way through it, even after giving her a bath and using conditioner and a detangling serum. Aislyn said she didn't remember when her hair was last brushed.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, Aislyn is back.
Poor kid.... honestly... almost sounds as if she is being neglected... OMGosh...

You are a much better mom to her than her own biological mother... sigh...

Is there anyway your husband can get for permanent custody of her? Or do you have to wait for proof of real neglect? Social worker? Doctor? I do not know what I am talking about. I just feel so bad for her.

It seems the more fuss you make of her, the worse her biological mother will treat her.... sigh...

poor baby...

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure we'd have to wait for more severe neglect. My husband is afraid to go to court because he thinks he'll end up with less time - and he's probably right. Missouri courts heavily favor the mother. I really wish we could get permanent custody, but unless her mother willingly lets us have it, I just don't see it happening. Missouri courts will rarely take a child from the mother and it has to be a HUGE thing. My next door neighbor - hate this woman; I just want to punch her - was high when she went into labor and had punched herself in the stomach trying to kill the baby so the baby was born with a broken jaw and had pins until she was 4 months old. They STILL sent the baby home with her and didn't remove her for months and finally did so because of severe neglect and continued drug use. Now this girl is pregnant again and still using drugs - meth, to be specific. I called the child abuse hotline and they just told me they can't even take a report on an unborn child. :(
We're going shopping for some decent clothes today. I refuse to take a child out wearing the crap her mother sent. I've got her in the nicest things she has - which aren't great. The things I buy today are not going back with her.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
so sad... so so so sad...

Yes, I would do the same. Keep the new clothes with you. Send her home with the old clothes.. sigh...

another poor kid caught in the middle of the 'system'... not pertaining to you, but her biological mother.. sigh..

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good evening everyone,
I hope this message finds you in high spirits. You probably don't even remember me, I've been gone for so long...

Alicia88 I'm sorry to hear that. That poor little girl. I bet your son has gotten so big! :)
OMG!! Your back. Why were you gone so long? I figured you were just on the other threads and not frequenting this one.
It's good to hear from you.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
School has been a nightmare and I ended up withdrawing from my program. I'm not 100% sure what I'm doing with my life and I'll be 20 years old in December.
You still have time to figure it out. But make it something you really like or even love to do. There's nothing worse than being stuck in a lifelong profession you really don't like at all.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For the past week I've had this young stray dog take up residence at my house. Not inside, but she's camped out on my back porch. I feel so bad for her. She's scared to death of humans. I've been feeding her and this morning, she actually took a treat from my hand. She's so skinny and afraid. She accidentally grabbed for the treat and got my finger. Not hard, didn't even leave a red mark, but she jumped back as soon as she hit flesh and started shaking violently. I'm pretty sure she was abused. She's so pretty, I'm guessing Pit Bull and Boarder Collie mix. With two blue eyes. And I'm also guessing around a year old.

But today, I met a woman who was buying some tack from me. She happens to work at a no kill shelter a couple of towns away. She's going to help me catch/trap her and then take her to the shelter. I hope she does it quick, the poor thing was curled in a ball on my back porch shaking from the cold.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got her. The pup trusted me enough to go into a cage after some food. She's still in the cage, but in the house safe and sound and out of the rain/sleet/snow that's been going on for a week. She goes to a no-kill shelter tomorrow where the people are waiting for her.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's so sweet too. She let me clean the cage and never made an aggressive move towards me. I don't understand why people will neglect or dump animals. I really wish I could find the owner to this pup, and not so I can give her back.
I know the cage is small, but it's all I have and it's only until tomorrow. It's actually bigger than it looks in this picture.
IMG_20181024_175609.jpg

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I put a collar on her and took her for a walk today. All she wanted to do was jump up on me and give me kisses. I hope she finds a loving home soon. She's such a sweetheart, I wish I could keep her.

Status
Not open for further replies.