The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lol, training videos are hilarious. Corporate IS clueless, and the more they try to be cool, the funnier it is. There's one we have to watch every year, and we've all seen it so many times that there's one place where we all yell "Hey Steve!" and "No overtime for you, Carlos!" All we need is costumes and some popcorn to throw at the screen. . .

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, so it was training for running the fitting room. I understand the theory. The theory is that in order to compete with Amazon and other online retailers, we need to make the experience that the customer has when shopping in the store so great that they want to come to us to buy something. Part of that is that they are able to try items of clothing on before purchasing, so they don't have to have the worry that the item just won't fit quite right or look quite right when they wear it vs. looking at a picture of it online. Corporate wants us to almost step into a personal shopper mode, where we find something personal about the customer to engage in small talk so they think we are their friend, ask questions about what they are looking for/where they are going to wear it so we can make suggestions, run and fetch different sizes so the customer doesn't have to redress to get a different size, and even offer to get something to match what they have in the room so they can have more outfit options.

But, this is reality. Knocking on doors to ask how things are going....naw, not doing that. If I were said customer, I would be trying to forget that I'm in a public place half naked and only an inch of particle board stood between my half naked body and complete strangers. I would feel very vulnerable and a little scared and a lot angry if someone started knocking on the door asking how I like the item. Remember a clothing size? Sure, when there's one person. 4 of my rooms filled, 2 who don't know what size they are, I'm not remembering if the woman in room 3 had the purple shirt, much less that it was a medium.

Here though is the one that half shocked me, half made me want to die laughing. If I have to go get another size or item for a customer, I'm supposed to tell everyone in the fitting rooms that I need to step away for a few minutes to assist a customer and that I will be back shortly. In theory, it's nice to let people know who can't physically see you but may want something from you that you won't be there for a couple of minutes. In reality, how many opportunists will say "Hey, she's gone and she can't count my stuff if I leave right now. Let's see how many layers I can walk out with without being noticed."

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Speaking entirely from a customer's perspective: it can be very helpful for someone to go get a different size or color for me, though I wouldn't expect it if things were busy. It can also be helpful to be able to ask how my tush looks in this - are there wrinkles that I can't see in the mirror? - that kind of thing.

I'm not bothered by a clerk knocking on the door and asking how I'm doing (although I wouldn't be comfortable with it if the clerk were male); what I worry about in fitting rooms is whether there's a secret surveillance camera, whether the mirror is a two way, with either a person or a video camera on the other side (and yes, I have heard stories about this happening, though that was years ago).

However, if I heard the sole clerk staffing the fitting room area announce that she's going to be unavailable for a few minutes, I, also, would wonder how many people would take the opportunity to steal.

What I really don't like is when a clerk keeps offering to "help" me while I'm browsing. All too often I don't know what I'm looking for, just that I'll know it when I see it. Being asked once is okay, being asked repeatedly is just plain annoying.

Margret

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
I have no problem grabbing sizes. I just don't want to have to announce it to everyone. There are times when I've got the returned item chaos under partial organization and I've gotten a good vibe from everyone that went in that I will say "Hey folks, I've got to step away, if you leave before I get back can you put your unwanted items in the cart? Thanks." But I do that only when I'm certain that none of the people in the rooms are dishonest. Like h*** will I do that when I've got that woman in the pink blazer that when I said I needed a count picked three items out of her cart one at a time "One, two, three, let's say 10", and when I said I had to count them all, she glared at me, got to ten and said "Let's say 15." (There were 17, and I got the death glare a second time when I made sure all 17 were counted.)

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dishonestly is a plague.
We went to the lake for my niece's birthday. Kids had a blast and they're both completely worn out and sound asleep. I also found out I have a very good water heater. Threw all the swim stuff in the washer, bathed both kids, and took a shower without running out. That's impressive.
Kirby messaged me that Marcy caught a moth and ate it. She said, "I swear, I'm feeding her!" Haha, it's just a cat thing. It made Keaton happy. Apparently he really hates moths.
I'm a little worried that Aislyn's mother might be jealous or something and is filling her head with nonsense. The last time she was here, she said something about having two moms now since I'm her step mom. It was really sweet. But today someone at Wal Mart called her my daughter and she said, "I'm not her daughter!" and someone else called me her mom and she said, "she's not my mom!" At the party today, my mom said something about Aunt DD and she said, "she's not my aunt!" I don't know if I should try to talk to her and explain that we're not replacing her family, she just has more family to love her, or just let it go. We don't want to start some feud with her mother but I don't know where all this is coming from.

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
Address it. Point out that lots of people have two mothers or two fathers because one of the parents married again, and that means more love. Ignore it, it'll fester, and she'll stop loving you and always view you as an interloper.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That is just horrible! Trap and eliminate. Makes my heart hurt.
It does more than that to me. Every time I see a notification of trapping on the city's website, I get nauseas and light-headed. I have GOT to try to change this!

I didnt' sleep a single wink last night. Dunno why. One of those nights, I guess. I did manage to nap for about two hours in my chair between noon and 2 pm, though, so I'm semi-awake.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's being difficult today. I got after for interrupting. Nothing mean, I just said, "it's not nice to interrupt people, please wait until they're done talking then you can talk." And she ran to her room crying. Her mother doesn't discipline her. So I told her if she was gonna be cranky and cry, she needed to take a nap. So she started crying again and said i was making her cry. We go through this for about a week every time she comes back here. After an adjustment period, things end up being fine, but it's so frustrating!

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was beginning to wonder if I was just assuming that her mom was saying things because I don't like her. But then, Aislyn proved me right. We just finished dinner and I was cleaning Aedan up and I gave him a cuddle and said I love you. Then I pointed to Aislyn and said, and I love you! She said, but my mom says you don't. I told her that her mom is silly and of course I love her. Just as much as I love Aedan. And that she's my step daughter but a step daughter is still a real daughter.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My son and I watched Jurassic World 2 last night. It's definitely a must have when it comes out on DVD. How is it that a movie can make you shed a tear for an animal that's been extinct for 100 million years?
It was much better than the first Jurassic World (not Jurassic Park)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She said, but my mom says you don't.
And THAT will come back to bite her mom on the fanny at some point in the future. You might try something like, "I would never, ever try to take your real mom's place. I don't want to. But you and I have our own special place, and I love you very much." If she repeats what her mom says to you, she'll repeat what you say to her mom, and that "Never take her place" might just calm things a bit.

Not a thing going on here. Well, I'm window shopping online, and planning for my next few checks. I've finally found a bookcase to match the once in the office. I'll have to pay three times more for it than I did the others, but I really want matching bookcases. I'm tired of NOTHING going with anything. That will happen in late July. On the first, when I do the major shopping for the month, I'll be replacing my poor stand fan that died after 12 years of faithful service, and getting a little personal fan for the office. AND a new desk lamp. I have my eye on one that has a USB port so I can recharge my phone easily.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wish me luck :sweat::runaround:
Always.

Tomorrow is our first inspection. I'm gonna spend the day cleaning but there's a lot that hasn't been unpacked yet. I hope that doesn't cause us to fail.
I don't see why it should. It's when you've unpacked the boxes but haven't figured out where everything goes that it gets messy.

I doubt they care about unpacked boxes, unless something is leaking out of them.
:yeah:
You might try something like, "I would never, ever try to take your real mom's place. I don't want to. But you and I have our own special place, and I love you very much." If she repeats what her mom says to you, she'll repeat what you say to her mom, and that "Never take her place" might just calm things a bit.
That's good. That's very good.

It sounds like her mom is feeling a bit insecure; I wonder why.

Margret

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe Aislyn told her the thing about having two moms. But insecure or not, I can't imagine ever telling a child that someone doesn't love her. Wouldn't you want your kid to feel loved by everyone taking care of her? I told Aislyn when we first got married that I wasn't trying to take her mom's place and she could call me mom or Alicia, whatever she wanted. She still calls me Alicia and that's ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.