The "What's on your mind?" Thread -2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
Good luck getting your ferals sprayed and neutered. I tried and all I got was a bunch of snotty people giving me lip service. I was told to do it myself or get my friends and family to help me. That is not an option. I offered to make a donation and pay all the s/n fees but that made no difference.

Muffy
those same people then complain that "house cats" eat too many song birds": they are NOT "house cats" although I'm sure many wish they were and if they did not have so many kittens they would not eat all those "many" song birds. Go figure.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What about scratching right at the base of the tail? That works with some cats. Another option would be to double-team the cat, so one person hold and lift tail, the other look.
Unfortunately, Little Bit is a true feral, and although s/he only runs 10-15 feet when I open the door now, as opposed to 30-40 feet when I first starting, touching that cat's tail is going to be a no-go for MONTHS, if I ever can.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
foxxycat foxxycat ---SNIP---
on to me!! I am going to vent:

I have made a decision.. not a life changing one, but a family one..
I have decided not to attend a first b-day party for my Cousin's grandson. I would have to drive 120 miles round trip in order to attend this party. I would be traveling alone. It is at 2pm. Would have to leave my house at 12:30pm and probably arrive home at around 6:30pm.....

I never see these people!! Only at Thanksgiving, and Christmas..and pictures on Facebook.. never talk to them.. I am not going to be a 'cash cow".. I did that with my cousin's kid, ~~~the mother of this baby.

I spent so much money on this girl/woman when she was young.. and now, she does not even talk to me at family gatherings, not even a remembrance of me taking her and her sister to the Children's Museum, the Aquarium, to many Movies, to the Museum of Science, going for Ice Cream, miniature golf, petting zoos, shopping, taking her to my hairdresser for her first 'highlight's, meeting Miss Massachusetts, annual apple picking, going sledding with her and her sister, teaching her to drive, just hanging out, taking her for a day when her parents were having a bad time/divorce.... so I am stopping it now. This is the first grandchild, so I am nipping it in the bud.
Never did she ever call and ask about my dad, never did she even call to see how he was when he was dying.. nothing..

At her sons's Christening.. I was left in charge to take care of my aunt-- the baby's great-grandmother... and was pretty much ignored.
I do not have anything in common with them.. I do not drink and drive..This party is at a bar which the father of the baby is partner in....Never see this kid at all. Saw them last at Christmas.

I am done.

Besides, between wasting car's gas to travel, and a gift...well, lets just say, I could pay my own gas bill..
She chose to live 60 miles away from where she grew up with family.

And Artie would be missing a dose of his cisapride medicine..I am not willing to risk that.. not after all I have done for my guy.

Thank you for listening to me vent. I sent my regrets to the Invite. I am late doing so, but I have been debating it for a while now.. it really got me thinking the past few days..
What kind of people hold a birthday party for a one-year-old in a bar?! Good for you, Cindy. They've already ditched you; it's definitely time for you to ditch them! This "invitation" is nothing more than a request for money, and you owe them nothing.

The biggest thing I did Cindy is tell off the family members who made my life a living h. And just deal with a few of them. I don't go out of my way to see them. They never ask me if I am ok. Last night I had a very bad night with my depression. People ticking me off. Things getting under my skin that normally I could give a flip about. But I got through it. I am here at work. Did some more welding at lunch-I need to add a cheater lens because I am trying to run small beads and I am having a hard time seeing the puddle. I also need a new helmet that goes down to shade 7. I use a shade 10 but it's too dark for what I was doing. I need to learn to weld on .030" thick tubing. I took a piece of shim stock that was .005" thick and set it at 20amps=poof! OPPS! I was just fooling around to see if I can do sheet metal welding..opps!!I laughed at myself!

Right now I am building a kind of house out of metal..a cube piece and two long pieces set up perpendicular to each other. I still have to grind the mill scale off the pieces I will tack on. It's been interesting to play around with it. Darn I need a garage..I could sit there and weld beads on scraps for hours..I am weird-it helps my OCD it seems-repetitive patterns. Hopefully by next Saturday I will have the roof welded onto the cube section. Hahaha I just love building things-even if it looks soso..still fun!
Fun! Sounds as if, when you're done with it, you'll have some kind of cool cat playhouse. Just add some carpeting in strategic places.

Okay, to explain what happened I have to explain something about my family. See, for years (from about the end of elementary school to the beginning of college, when I had my tonsils removed) I had no sense of smell. (And even now, I only have it one week a month--I don't know why.) Well, AWM didn't believe me when I said I had no sense of smell, or thought I was over-exaggerating a weak sense of smell. (To be fair, AWM's sense of smell has always been insanely powerful.) So one day back in high-school, after a doctor's appointment, AWM and I were at a buffet. One of the things on the buffet was a fish. (Back then I loved fish, and the reason why I don't now has nothing to do with this incident.) Usually, at that particular buffet, the fish was devoured as soon as it was put out, but on this particular occasion it was still mostly untouched (warning sign number one), so put some on my plate and took it back to the table. (Now remember, back then AWM didn't know I really couldn't smell.) I got a fork full of fish, put it in my mouth--and spit it out. The fish was rancid! And AWM was laughing at the look on my face. However, there was a positive consequence to this: AWM now knows that I really, truly, had no sense of smell.

Fast forward today. I know I've mentioned on this site, previously talking about diets, that the women in my family have insanely low levels of sodium, and cutting salt from our diet could prove fatal. Well, after Grandma got so sick, one of her husband's daughters began cooking food for the two of them. (I know he's married to Grandma, but they've been married for less than a decade and it just feels weird calling him Grandpa.) Well, Grandma, of course, told the woman about her need for salt. Makes sense, right? Well, the woman didn't believe her, and cut almost all the salt from the meals she was making for the two of them. Earlier this afternoon, Grandma (of course) collapsed. They rushed her to the hospital, called all the family just in case she was dying--only to find out that she collapsed because her sodium was far too low. (She was given an IV, is on oxygen at the hospital, and is fine while being kept for observation.)
I was born with no sense of smell. I remember (vividly) the time I bought a small carton of milk from a vending machine in a break room, and it turned out the milk had gone sour. I ended up with sour milk all over my clothes, and it wasn't at all funny. :barf:

This is not cat related sorry but I just have to get it off my chest. A family friend just died of a drug overdose. My 14 year old daughter loved him so much and is so upset. We are going to the funeral on Wednesday and it's going to be my hardest day as a parent. My heart brakes for the family and it makes me want to hold my daughter closer. Thank you for letting me ramble on
:alright: :hugs: This is very difficult. I think all you can do is to be there for her, let her talk about it and try to help her understand what may have driven this person to use drugs. It is possible to be non-judgemental without condoning dangerous behavior. Kids are smart enough to know the difference between "He used drugs because he was unhappy and couldn't find any better solutions" and "It's okay to use drugs to numb yourself."

Well, today after work I went to the hospital to visit Grandma, and the situation is much, much more serious than first thought. Her sodium isn't rising, her tryponin levels are dangerously low, she's having heart stutters (at least five that I know of during the visit--might have been more, but I kind of fell asleep), and her lupus is out of remission. I don't think things look good for her right now.:(
:vibes::vibes::vibes::alright: :hugs:

Margret

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just ran into this story today: Student beat him, then others kicked him. Later, 8-year-old kills himself

What on earth was the school thinking, telling the mother that her son had fainted?! If he was unconscious after being beaten, he probably had a concussion and a mere trip to the nurse's office is not sufficient for that. And not telling her that he'd been kicked while lying there unconscious? This poor mother had no chance at all to take proper care of her child in the aftermath of a violent assault because no one had told her there had even been an assault. As for how much the child remembered, well, obviously enough to feel desperate, and probably not enough to ask for help.
:angryfire: :censored: :bawling2:

Margret

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
I was reaching for something above my head today and I realized it didn't hurt. Huh? So I stretched my arm where it just won't go and there wasn't much discomfort left.

For two and a half months I do the right thing and keep pushing my shoulder as much as I can so that I neither lose muscle strength nor lose mobility and it doesn't get better. Work doesn't schedule me for a week and while I have walked some at the fitness center I have completely ignored the weight set, which I know I shouldn't ignore it, and I get a lot better in just a few days???? What the heck???? How does doing the right thing not work but doing the wrong thing work?

I'm so confused. :dunno:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was reaching for something above my head today and I realized it didn't hurt. Huh? So I stretched my arm where it just won't go and there wasn't much discomfort left.

For two and a half months I do the right thing and keep pushing my shoulder as much as I can so that I neither lose muscle strength nor lose mobility and it doesn't get better. Work doesn't schedule me for a week and while I have walked some at the fitness center I have completely ignored the weight set, which I know I shouldn't ignore it, and I get a lot better in just a few days???? What the heck???? How does doing the right thing not work but doing the wrong thing work?

I'm so confused. :dunno:
What it actually needed was complete rest for a few days. That's not really long enough to lose muscle tone, but sometimes it is long enough for an injury to heal.

In other words, someone gave you mistaken advice about what the "right" thing is; what you just did was the actual right thing. I'm glad you happened onto it.

Margret

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
the house thingy I am making out of metal is way too small for the cats. Its already 15 lbs and only 10-12" long and deep. It's on 1/2" stainless steel plate. LOL. So it's heavy! I won't have a chance to work on it until next week. Too much going on in the weld lab this week. There's always next week!

I came in early but overslept. Was supposed to come in at 3am but I just couldn't fall asleep. I did get here by 6am. And the traffic was just as heavy as it is at my normal time. Good grief!

I raked some more leaves off one of my gardens last night. Got a ton of lupine coming up. And weeds. The weekend is when I plan on weeding and adding mulch/stuff.

They shut down overtime due to a part not being here yet. It's weird having so much time off. One of my coworkers found another job elsewhere. That's 3 people now leaving. It's begun. The best thing we all could do is find employment elsewhere. The older folks will just stay and finish up the projects for another year. We shall see how it goes.

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
The other day the store had a sale where you spend $25 and get $5 off. The cat food came to $24 so I looked at the cat treats. I had a coupon for any Fancy Feast treats and I grabbed the cheapest one (Duos).

Three days ago I opened the bag and two of my cats gobbled them up like I had been denying food for a week. Not surprised about the third, he's never accepted a treat in his time with me.

The crazy thing is that normally Shadow has a meow that just says "Service me now servant!" But the last two days she's had a meow that just says "Please, please, please, I love you, I love you lots." I didn't figure it out until this morning, she's begging for those treats. I don't know if they are putting addictive substances in them or what's going on, but those treats are a definite hit.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I'm just checking in on this thread for the first time in ages and am trying to catch up- so much has been going on with everyone! For now, just wanted to ask @tallyollyopia how your grandmother is doing? Lupus is such a nasty, nasty disease. I had a mild case for decades that is now in remission but ended up learning a lot about it and my heart goes out to anyone with this terrible affliction.

Does your grandmother have any a medical power-of-attorney or end-of-life directive on file? Your mother really shouldn't be frozen out like this and it should be clear to the hospital that your grandfather isn't in a position to help. Perhaps it would help to talk with the Patient Advocate (every hospital has a program for this) and find out what needs to be done legally so your mother can get some information and have more input.

Wishing your grandma the very best. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Hoosier Mama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had wondered why I wasn't getting email updates. Didn't know about the site moving.

My mind is just a whirl right now. I'm hoping that Monday I'll have some definite answers. Hard to plan out how you're going to pick up the pieces and move towards a goal when you don't even know what the pieces are or what the short-term goal should be. The long term goal is "be physically healthy and mentally eccentric".

Anyone know any reputable sources for a low-salt diet or other lifestyle changes to bring blood pressure down? The cardiologist said "lifestyle changes and low salt" without really defining either.

I had a heart attack 4 years ago, due to Afib. I wasn't diagnosed with High Blood Pressure until about 2 years ago so, along with medication, I had to lower my sodium intake.

I DO have a few tips that work (IF you apply them!).

Of course, the first thing you are told is to go on a low-sodium diet and/or no added salt. Sodium intake should be approximately 1,500 to 2,300mg per day. Americans consume, on average, about 3,400mg per day -- wayyy too much!

When you think about it, 1,500mg (recommended daily intake) is equal to 0.75 teaspoons of salt - there is that much on an order of McDonald's fries! If you just HAVE to have fries, order them with no salt.

Fast foods and Processed foods are you worst enemies! Do you know that one Big Mac has 1,007mg of sodium?! That is 2/3 of your daily required intake! Lunch meats and other packaged foods are loaded with salt. Buy low-sodium deli meat. There is really no difference in the taste. Or, better yet, but fresh chicken breast, broil it and slice it yourself.
Buy lower-sodium cheeses. Do you know that 1/2 cup regular cottage cheese contains 458mg of sodium? Switch to Nonfat or Fat Free cottage cheese - it only has 9mg per 1/2 cup! If you are used to adding a slice of cheese to your ham sandwhich or burger, try Swiss at 54mg per slice as opposed to American cheese which contains 368mg per slice!
Here's a link for sodium content in popular types of cheeses:
Sodium in Cheese

Pass up the canned soup aisle and start making your own soup. One can of Campbell's Chicken Noodle soup has 1,081mg of sodium; Broccoli Cheese soup has 1,500mg of sodium. There goes your entire daily allotment of sodium!

When cooking at home, we all add salt. Stop! Instead of adding salt to your tomato sauce while you're cooking it, add it at the very end or once it's on your plate. You will use half the amount. Another way to cut your sodium intake when cooking is to discover spices!
Mrs. Dash has a variety of different (salt free!) herb and spice mixes that add a lot of flavor to foods. I have about 30 different spices in my cabinet and the more I use them, the more I learn how to mix them in different combinations for different flavors. I cook with a LOT of onions, garlic, and ginger, too. Ingredients like lemon zest, balsamic and flavored vinegars, fresh herbs will give your palate a chance to shed its salt addiction – your preference for salt can be unlearned. Your taste buds are reawakened. Within days, they start enjoying new flavors and flavor combinations.

One more thing I will add is this: We all know that salt is a big cause of water retention, and water retention elevates our blood pressure. If you want to get rid of water... drum roll... drink more water! Why? The more you take in, the more you put out! Drinking water keeps your kidneys active and it flushes all the unwanted sodium out of your system.
Note: Soda, and many flavored drinks (especially sports drinks), even 'healthy' drinks contain sodium. For instance, Crystal Light -- many flavors, including the Energy Wild Strawberry and Raspberry Ice, contain no sodium, according to the nutrition labels. Some, including Pomegranate Cherry, contain 10 mg per serving. The highest sodium content is 35 mg per serving in the Natural Lemonade flavored drink mix. Even the V8 Splash drinks have about 15mg per 8 ounce serving. Stick with natural fruit juices - orange juice has about 2mg of sodium.

See where I am heading with this? You can cut your sodium intake in half if you just make a few simple changes in what you eat. Then, you can 'treat' yourself to a few chips now and then.
Learn to read labels, and keep in mind the amount of sodium listed is the amount in ONE serving.

Avoid salt substitutes! Salt substitutes are not a healthful option for everyone. Many salt substitutes contain potassium chloride in place of sodium chloride. Potassium consumed in excess may be harmful for some people. For example, many persons with kidney problems are unable to rid their bodies of excessive potassium, which could result in a deadly situation. If you have kidney problems or are on medication for your heart, kidneys or liver, it is best to check with your physician before using salt substitutes in place of sodium.
And if you are using substitutes, they are just mimicking the flavor of salt and will not eliminate your craving for it.

Write down how much sodium to consume every day. You don't have to go 'cold-turkey' (but if you do, be sure the turkey is fresh and not processed! LOL). Gradually cut down and you'll find yourself saying, "OMG! I can't eat that! It is way too salty!"

I hope this has given you some ideas on how to adjust your sodium intake and retrain your tastebuds!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
SIGH...SUCH a lovely garden, and I'm allergic to everything in it but the clover! OH WAIT...clover, too, but THAT clover isn't flowering. I love flowers. They love me, but we are NOT well-matched. That said, I STILL hope to get some for Mothers' Day. Not expecting it, but hoping!

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
SIGH...SUCH a lovely garden, and I'm allergic to everything in it but the clover! OH WAIT...clover, too, but THAT clover isn't flowering. I love flowers. They love me, but we are NOT well-matched. That said, I STILL hope to get some for Mothers' Day. Not expecting it, but hoping!
I am allergic to so many flowers, so picking ones for the yard was difficult.

I hope that you get the flowers that you're hoping for!

dalpaengi

A cat snail enthusiast
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm new here but I scrolled back a bit because I find other peoples lives and thoughts fascinating. Always looking for ways to broaden my horizon :D

This morning I read an article about the negative side of positive thinking. Most of its source material came from an exposé written by Barbara Ehrenreich. Basically the author asserts that pathological positivity "encourages us to deny reality, submit cheerfully to misfortune, and blame only ourselves for our fate.” She goes onto say that unhinged optimism promotes the idea that , “either you look on the bright side, constantly adjusting your attitude and revising your perceptions–or you go over to the dark side.” ...and that kinda thinking can lead to terrible disappointment and more unnecessary pain.

I agree with a lot of what was written, as I wish to seek a balance in the way I respond to my circumstances. I've noticed that the alternative ways of interpreting reality invoke rather interesting responses from the eternally optimistic-positive-thinking-cures-all crowd :think: Don't get me wrong, I admire some of the qualities in those who are capable of consistently feeling that way but not everyone is wired to compartmentalize like that. It's a blessing not afforded to everyone.

Another thing I thought about today was how I'm going to behave after I bring my cat home on Monday. I'm worried that my anxious energy will make kitty nervous or make her want to hide from me -- which is ok, because I'd want to hide too if I were in a new, unfamiliar environment. I know the adjustment period from being in a shelter to going to a forever home has gotta be tough and I plan on giving her the time and space she needs.

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
This morning I read an article about the negative side of positive thinking. Most of its source material came from an exposé written by Barbara Ehrenreich. Basically the author asserts that pathological positivity "encourages us to deny reality, submit cheerfully to misfortune, and blame only ourselves for our fate.” She goes onto say that unhinged optimism promotes the idea that , “either you look on the bright side, constantly adjusting your attitude and revising your perceptions–or you go over to the dark side.” ...and that kinda thinking can lead to terrible disappointment and more unnecessary pain.

I agree with a lot of what was written, as I wish to seek a balance in the way I respond to my circumstances. I've noticed that the alternative ways of interpreting reality invoke rather interesting responses from the eternally optimistic-positive-thinking-cures-all crowd :think: Don't get me wrong, I admire some of the qualities in those who are capable of consistently feeling that way but not everyone is wired to compartmentalize like that. It's a blessing not afforded to everyone.
Interesting outlook. I myself tend to wobble between pessimist and realist ("The glass is half empty" and "Water's at the halfway point, where's the faucet?") but I have heard that when things go wrong, outsiders that are into positive thinking actually blame the person. "You should have had a better outlook, being negative is probably why (insert negative here)" is one such example. Another is "I focused on the positives and that's why I didn't (insert negative here), you should try it so it doesn't happen again to you".

But while a positive mindset can mitigate things a little bit, it can only do so much. Yeah, there's a few studies that suggest a positive outlook might bolster the immune system just a tad, but there's others that have found no connection and no one is sure if the relationship is causal or coincidental. And even if it's causal, it could equally be that the slightly more effective immune system is what's driving the mindset.

When looking at the social aspect of positive thinking, it can be the worst cruelty. A common example is telling an infertile woman that she just needs to relax because other women have had surprise pregnancies after giving up and relaxing. That's basically blaming the woman for not being able to conceive because she's not positive enough. I've heard of similar statements to cancer survivors, that other people with the same exact cancer kept a good outlook and that's why it stayed in remission. So it's the cancer survivor's fault if it comes back because the mindset wasn't right.

The flip side of it is not the suggestion, but the open statement. For example, the poor are poor because they just don't try hard enough because one (in my opinion lucky) person started out poor but managed to rise above that. The reality is that a fair amount of luck is needed, right place at the right time, and everyone's internal resources are different. If you biologically need one extra hour of sleep, that could prevent the same exact work/study/sleep schedule that another person adhered to in order to progress. If you apply for a scholarship at the wrong time, you don't have the money another person received to pay for schooling. If your glasses break, that's an expense the other person didn't have, and your ability to travel and study is also affected in a way the other person's wasn't.

So yeah, positive thinking can be nice, if there's a heavy dose of realistic thinking to keep it in check. Without the realistic thinking the social consequences can be severe.

Another thing I thought about today was how I'm going to behave after I bring my cat home on Monday. I'm worried that my anxious energy will make kitty nervous or make her want to hide from me -- which is ok, because I'd want to hide too if I were in a new, unfamiliar environment. I know the adjustment period from being in a shelter to going to a forever home has gotta be tough and I plan on giving her the time and space she needs.
My best suggestion is to find an outlet for that anxious energy. I'm not talking big, like cycling for an hour, but something small like a fidget thingy that's all the rage now. Something to focus the mind and keep the hands busy. That will dampen the vibes you give out. Beyond that, the cat's personality will be the main denominator. I one time brought home a shelter cat and within hours he was Mr. Confident and owned the house and the other two cats.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Pretzel came home with us she was extremely anxious. Then she started exploring and discovered the kitchen. Oh, good! There will actually be food! Happy, happy, joy, joy! And from then on she was okay. It really does depend on the cat.

Some illnesses seem to foster mindsets that contribute to the illness, and if you're able to counter the mindset your chance of surviving is significantly improved, but still not guaranteed. There's good research about the use of things like meditation to help with cancer, for instance, but it's not like it's a miracle cure-all. And some of the meditation tapes they sell for patients are incredibly dangerous, IMO. Many years ago I had a friend named Barb with terminal cancer, and a mutual friend and I went looking for a good meditation tape for her. We found one, specifically labeled for cancer patients, and bought it. Then we had the good sense to listen to it before we gave it to Barb. This tape started out by saying that the very fact that you have this tape means that you're ready to heal, and therefore will heal, because we "choose" everything that comes to us. Really?! Barb chose cancer? I don't think so! For that matter, Barb was also a rape survivor. She was only in our city because the man who raped her was a big mucky-muck in city government where she came from, and she had been forced to leave town after he raped her. And the only part of that that Barb chose was surviving.

When my father was dying of cancer I was a member of a support group for caregivers. One of the women there was having trouble understanding why she got so angry when a "friend" of hers complimented her. What was the compliment? "Oh, I admire you so much! You're so strong! God never gives us more than we can carry, so you must be strong, what with the way you're helping your mother deal with her cancer. I could never be that strong!" Translation: Your mother has cancer because God is rewarding you for being strong, and I don't have to worry that something like that will happen to me because I'm not strong. No wonder it made her angry.

Margret

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
When my father was dying of cancer I was a member of a support group for caregivers. One of the women there was having trouble understanding why she got so angry when a "friend" of hers complimented her. What was the compliment? "Oh, I admire you so much! You're so strong! God never gives us more than we can carry, so you must be strong, what with the way you're helping your mother deal with her cancer. I could never be that strong!" Translation: Your mother has cancer because God is rewarding you for being strong, and I don't have to worry that something like that will happen to me because I'm not strong. No wonder it made her angry.

Margret
God never gives us more than we can carry. Those are probably the most dangerous words in existence. So very many people endure something that they can't handle and the fallout is ugly.

The absolutely most extreme example of this that I can think of is that Andrea Yates' pdoc told Rusty Yates to never get her pregnant again, the PPS was getting more and more severe with each delivery and she was going to go completely crazy with another pregnancy. And good old god-fearing Rusty said those exact same words and got Andrea pregnant again and five innocent children were lost to her psychosis.

I hate those words. I absolutely hate them.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's a certain mindset in religion that says:
  • If you're rich it means you're good and God is rewarding you.
  • If you're poor it means you're evil, lazy, or otherwise unworthy, so God is punishing you.
  • If you're sick it means that God is testing you; if you only have enough faith you will survive. Unless it means that you're evil and God is punishing you, in which case you'll prove God to be right by not having enough faith to survive.
  • All hardship is a test from God, and a chance to prove that your virtue, but no matter how many tests you pass, all it takes is one failure to prove that you're evil.
  • There are no shades of gray. You're either good or evil, and strength = goodness and weakness = evil.
I say "religion" rather than "Christianity" because I strongly suspect that something like this shows up occasionally in all religions. And no matter what nominal religion a person is, this particular mindset is calculated to make it okay to be uncharitable, in all senses of the word. It's an easy way to avoid loving your neighbor as yourself and to justify greed and smugness, but sooner or later karma rises up and bites people who think this way on the ass. (I mean "karma" in the common Western usage -- people get what they give.) Because, sooner or later, we all experience hardship of some kind, and if we're very fortunate we have enough loving friends to either help us survive it or at least make our passing easier.

Margret

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
God never gives us more than we can carry. Those are probably the most dangerous words in existence. So very many people endure something that they can't handle and the fallout is ugly.

The absolutely most extreme example of this that I can think of is that Andrea Yates' pdoc told Rusty Yates to never get her pregnant again, the PPS was getting more and more severe with each delivery and she was going to go completely crazy with another pregnancy. And good old god-fearing Rusty said those exact same words and got Andrea pregnant again and five innocent children were lost to her psychosis.

I hate those words. I absolutely hate them.
And HE walked free, leaving his poor, unbalanced wife to pay the ticket. Yeah. That phrase has much to answer for.

What an interesting discussion! And I interrupt it to report that I have had one call and one Skype from my sons this morning, and a hairball from Hekitty. What a lovely Mothers' Day!

And a happy one to all of you who have kids, with or without fur!

Status
Not open for further replies.