The "What's on your mind?" Thread -2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
How can you be tired of summer? I supposed it depends on how your summers are. Here I am in what they call paradise weather-wise so I suppose I should not brag.
Overcast all day today and cool, about 68. Yesterday up to 85 and more heat to come, up to 95 is forecast for Sunday. Weather has been weird since last year at this time (there is no such thing as global warning that affects weather here and elsewhere, har di har har!) How are we supposed to plan for anything, particularly for what we are going to plant for our winter gardens?
As I had been so sick the garden looks like a mess, thank goodness no weeds, just dead plants and fallen raised bed boards, there is hardly anything alive. Not sure if the rhubarb survived the neglect but the blackberries seem to survive no matter what. I'm starting to wonder if they are the Himalayan ones which you can't kill and which run amok given the chance.
I have 2 dragon fruit just now ripening, they should have been ripe and eaten 2 months ago. I picked all the Concord grapes the other day, it wore me right out, I guess I'm not quite up to par yet.
Then I cooked jelly out of them, got 3 pints and I still have some from last year. The blackberries I picked earlier in the year I froze and put into jars. I am so glad I bought that huge stand-up freezer about 2 years ago. I cooked some jam from some of those berries also, turned out well but I still have some from last year also, I need people who will take those off my hands but bring back the jars once they are empty.
I also put some of those berries on my breakfast, tastes like summer.
I don't think I will have a winter garden, I'm not strong enough yet to clean up the garden so that I can plant a winter garden. At least I can drive again and walk around the store as long as I hang on to the shopping cart. Damn, I have not been feeling like that since 2001 when I had colon cancer surgery, chemo and radiation (I am fine now, thank you) so I am not used to being sick and this really knocked the stuffing out of me and I'm 16 years older and terribly impatient to get better.
Any suggestions on how to get about that impatience? Maybe it's because I have finally realized that I am an old lady of almost 75. Not fair, I don't feel as if I could possibly be that old. What? I am not 50 anymore? Just ranting.
If you are interested about what has been happening with Patrick, my all black foster cat, I refer you to this thread: My all black foster cat needs a forever home. it looks as if he has finally found some people who want him. I'll post once he has indeed found a forever home.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, my son is in Phoenix this week for a defensive driving course. He's driven up here, but has anxiety driving. I figured if he can drive in Phx, up here is a walk in the park.
Today was his first lesson. He did very well except he got marked down for not running a yellow light.
Excuse me? If you're not in the intersection when it changes to yellow, you must stop. Cops up here will nail you for that. Although, Andy and Barney will nail you for anything up here. I guess the town needs money or something.
My mom teaches Defensive Driving. There is actually a point (known as the Go Point) that you must continue even if the light is yellow. Not doing so, is dangerous since even if you have time to stop, a person behind you with less than adequate stopping distance may not. The Go Point moves dependent on weather and other factors.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I met Tango for the first time one year ago today! Her official adoption anniversary isn't until tomorrow, but I still have to celebrate today by giving her extra treats.
Of course you do! :) And tomorrow and the next day and the next day and so on and so forth. :lol:

Happy Day Before Gotcha Day!

Concatsulations!  280x210.gif

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom teaches Defensive Driving. There is actually a point (known as the Go Point) that you must continue even if the light is yellow. Not doing so, is dangerous since even if you have time to stop, a person behind you with less than adequate stopping distance may not. The Go Point moves dependent on weather and other factors.
Yes, and when pulling a trailer, you don't stop either. But this wasn't the case. He wasn't even up to the cross walk yet. Up here, the only time the cops give you a break is when you are pulling a trailer, or it's a big vehicle like an RV. The speed limit is only 35mph and I guess they figure you need to stop. And don't try to fight it, the cops are related to the judge. It's easier to pay the fine and the $25 to the traffic school in the neighboring town.

I wish they'd take speeding in the school zone as seriously as they take the 2 lights we have. (one at each end of town)

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, and when pulling a trailer, you don't stop either. But this wasn't the case. He wasn't even up to the cross walk yet. Up here, the only time the cops give you a break is when you are pulling a trailer, or it's a big vehicle like an RV. The speed limit is only 35mph and I guess they figure you need to stop. And don't try to fight it, the cops are related to the judge. It's easier to pay the fine and the $25 to the traffic school in the neighboring town.

I wish they'd take speeding in the school zone as seriously as they take the 2 lights we have. (one at each end of town)
At thirty five miles per hour I would assume you could stop easily. The normal place for a go point is the point at which the turn lane on either side begins. I'm also basing this on what they teach in WA state, so I'm sure it could be different.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
arouetta arouetta tank top. I die when it's 70.
Me personally I melt when it's 70, I love winter. I run hot so always have to dress in layers otherwise I feel like I am overheating. I wish I could handle the heat like most people. I don't care for it under 20 anymore either..but I can deal with it if I have a face warmer and snow pants on. My legs have no way to warm up or cool down-so I usually wear two pairs of pants and a t shirt if that makes sense..my trunk overheats. and legs run cooler.

So far Pumps is doing ok. She's still sick but it's not getting worse. I decided to give the zithor in the morning before she eats her tuna-it was hard pilling at night because she would get mad and hide all night..it's easier to do all the meds at once. The only thing I do at night- puffs and eye ointment.

Last edited:

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise

The crosswalk is always after the stop line, not before. Such a ticket can be fought, you can ask the judge to recuse himself and if he doesn't, use that as a basis to represent yourself for an appeal.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The crosswalk is always after the stop line, not before. Such a ticket can be fought, you can ask the judge to recuse himself and if he doesn't, use that as a basis to represent yourself for an appeal.
No, the crosswalk is at the corner where you would turn right. The stop light is on a post on the other side of the intersection. I haven't been to Phoenix in 16 years, well maybe 3 times and only the outskirts of Mesa, so I'm not sure how those are set up. But if memory serves, they are the same.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, the crosswalk is at the corner where you would turn right. The stop light is on a post on the other side of the intersection. I haven't been to Phoenix in 16 years, well maybe 3 times and only the outskirts of Mesa, so I'm not sure how those are set up. But if memory serves, they are the same.
Kashmir is talking about the stop line (I believe). Which is a thick white line painted on the pavement. You must legally stop at this line rather than stopping in the crosswalk or further into the intersection. Not all intersections have them, but if they do they are before a crosswalk.

I know in WA state it is now illegal to pull out past this line or into an intersection when turning right or left if you aren't going to complete the turn before the light changes (which basically means you must sit behind the line to wait for an opening now).

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kashmir is talking about the stop line (I believe). Which is a thick white line painted on the pavement. You must legally stop at this line rather than stopping in the crosswalk or further into the intersection. Not all intersections have them, but if they do they are before a crosswalk.

I know in WA state it is now illegal to pull out past this line or into an intersection when turning right or left if you aren't going to complete the turn before the light changes (which basically means you must sit behind the line to wait for an opening now).
We don't have the white line, only the crosswalk which serves at the white line. But, yes, that is what I'm talking about.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
NewYork1303 NewYork1303 stopping behind the white line or crosswalk when making a left turn could mean you sit there forever if the oncoming traffic does not stop before the light turns red which is quite possible when traffic is heavy and people squeeze by when it is already yellow. Here in CA we go forward as far as possible into the intersection and wait there for oncoming traffic to cease so that you can complete your turn. Sometimes that means only one car can get across with several still waiting. It's nice when there is a left turn signal light but not all intersections have those and they don't all have turn lanes either (that's when it gets really tricky as traffic piles up behind you and they don't all want to turn).

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Making a left turn is different. If you are already in the intersection when the light changes then you complete your turn. What NewYork1303 NewYork1303 is talking about is right turns. If WA is anything like AZ, then right on red is completely legal unless otherwise posted. People tend to 'creep' up past the crosswalk or lines then wait until it's clear to turn. This causes problems. You are not allowed to 'creep' in order to see better and sometimes must wait to make a right turn.

My original post, however, my son was not even up to the lines and got marked down for stopping for the yellow. It reminds me of the movie Starman. Red means stop, green means go and yellow means go very fast.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I didn't know that experts don't know the reason for the kitty butt wiggle before pouncing.

Why Do Cats Wiggle Their Butts When They Are Stalking Prey? | petMD
How fun! And it does make sense.

High tomorrow 74, low 49. I don't know if I should wear a tank top for the ride in or my jacket.
Tank top with jacket over it. Prepared for anything!

Me personally I melt when it's 70, I love winter. I run hot so always have to dress in layers otherwise I feel like I am overheating. I wish I could handle the heat like most people. I don't care for it under 20 anymore either..but I can deal with it if I have a face warmer and snow pants on.
Tell me about it! I see no reason for it to EVER be over 72 degrees. Ever. I get sick and my skin peels off.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
So this morning was undies, tank top, short sleeved shirt (none of my long sleeve shirts survived September's clothes purge), jacket, capri leggings, and some crew socks I stole from my daughter so the legs below the capris could be covered. Brrr. Now that work is done and I could shop, I'm now the proud owner of two long sleeve athletic shirts and two sweatpants. The sweatpants material seems a little thin, but I'll stand outside tonight with them over the capris and see how that feels. They aren't lounge sweatpants, they are athletic clothing and supposed to be for jogging, so I think there's a decent chance that heat will stay in but sweat won't.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So today is Samai's and Onsa's 7 month birthday. Haven't weighed Samai in a while, thought I would do that. 10 lbs. no joke, had to weigh her twice. I thought the scale malfunctioned or something. She is getting so big. I'm almost afraid to see how big she gets when she's grown.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
NewYork1303 NewYork1303 stopping behind the white line or crosswalk when making a left turn could mean you sit there forever if the oncoming traffic does not stop before the light turns red which is quite possible when traffic is heavy and people squeeze by when it is already yellow. Here in CA we go forward as far as possible into the intersection and wait there for oncoming traffic to cease so that you can complete your turn. Sometimes that means only one car can get across with several still waiting. It's nice when there is a left turn signal light but not all intersections have those and they don't all have turn lanes either (that's when it gets really tricky as traffic piles up behind you and they don't all want to turn).
Making a left turn is different. If you are already in the intersection when the light changes then you complete your turn. What NewYork1303 NewYork1303 is talking about is right turns. If WA is anything like AZ, then right on red is completely legal unless otherwise posted. People tend to 'creep' up past the crosswalk or lines then wait until it's clear to turn. This causes problems. You are not allowed to 'creep' in order to see better and sometimes must wait to make a right turn.

My original post, however, my son was not even up to the lines and got marked down for stopping for the yellow. It reminds me of the movie Starman. Red means stop, green means go and yellow means go very fast.
The law in WA used to be like the one in AZ. You used to be able to turn left by getting out into the intersection and then turning as the light went to red. Now that isn't the case anymore. Which sucks. Admittedly so few people know about the new change that people are still going out to make a left turn and then turning even after the light is red. Very few police are enforcing the change yet... but we'll see if that changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.