The "What's on your mind?" Thread -2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I figured you would understand. I found their site for complaints/comments and sent them a brief issue and the conflicting computer issue. It's a small enough item someone could shop lift it. It's sad that in this day of electronics that they don't rfid all products. That would eliminate stolen goods much better. Of course then people would rip them off...so annoying!! I HATE shoplifters!!! I hate the games people play with stealing small items...it hurts the business and makes the employees have to deal with suspicious bosses because they don't know if someone is "skimming" like you said or just flat out letting their friends steal products. Also cameras in every aisle don't do any good if you don't have someone watching the screen at all times..that's another cost added on. Such an annoyance!!
To be fair--it might have been mis-shelved. (Said after a night spent looking Monster Java Loca Moca only to discover that it was where the Monster Jova Irish Blend was supposed to be. Still--new people. They'll learn to read the planogram one day.)

:D

Pumps looks a bit better this morning..the runny eyes slowed down. The vet had me give her Zithromax tablets-they cut them up for her. She sneezed this morning but hopefully it will help the secondary infection..she always seems to get them..and her on pred isn't helping but she is so much more comfortable now on daily pred. She's walking better and seems to feel much better.

This morning she didn't hiss for her shot of Adequan. I may have to return the needles they sent home-I looked them up-these are 22G and the ones I used on Floey are 18cc. I found her medicine box in the back of the cabinet-had 4 needles left over from doing the daily injections. So hopefully they will allow exchange of these because the ones they sent me home seem to be huge. I only need to give .25ml of liquid. Those are 3ml syringes-not sure why they sent me home with such huge needles. Poor Pumps.
:clap2: And :crossfingers: she keeps doing better! :vibes:

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Well, that calls into mind a really stupid question. Since water is great at being a shield against solar radiation, why wasn't the ISS built in the same manner that the hypothetical manned spacecraft going to Mars will likely be built - the water stores are sandwiched in a layer between the outside and the inside so the shielding is in effect at all times. You could even do two layers, an exterior one with the wiring needed to heat the water, an internal one with the water and the bulkhead between the water and the people. You could compartmentalize it so if a screw from the space junk hits one, you don't lose all your water. You could do just one or two pods this way, so the rest of the ISS has functional windows and the pod is the emergency shelter along with being the bunkroom or the wash station or Medical or whatever.
This isn't a stupid question at all. I found it so intriguing that I just tried to find the answer but got nowhere. The only thing that I can think of is that when the ISS was built in the late 1990s, they didn't have the technological know-how to build it that way. Just a guess.

Holy (bleep)! I just saw the news. 130 million years ago on my birthday two neutron stars collided - and we saw it on my birthday this year!!!! Lots of confirmations of existing theories, a few new facts, a new way to directly measure the expansion of the universe, and the question of what was left after they collided (a bigger neutron star or a black hole)....and it was on my birthday!!!! Talk about the universe giving me a big surprise party!

Edit: Yeah I know the stars didn't collide on August 17th, 129,997,983 BC. But they said 130 million years, not 130 million 2 years, 4 months and 13 days. So I'm claiming it.
Happy Belated Birthday arouetta arouetta ! :bday: :party2: :party3: I hope that your birthday cake looked like this!

BirthdayCake Space 200x200.gif
or this
Space BirthdayCake  300x200.gif

margd

Veteran
Purraise
Pumps looks a bit better this morning..the runny eyes slowed down. The vet had me give her Zithromax tablets-they cut them up for her. She sneezed this morning but hopefully it will help the secondary infection..she always seems to get them..and her on pred isn't helping but she is so much more comfortable now on daily pred. She's walking better and seems to feel much better.

This morning she didn't hiss for her shot of Adequan. I may have to return the needles they sent home-I looked them up-these are 22G and the ones I used on Floey are 18cc. I found her medicine box in the back of the cabinet-had 4 needles left over from doing the daily injections. So hopefully they will allow exchange of these because the ones they sent me home seem to be huge. I only need to give .25ml of liquid. Those are 3ml syringes-not sure why they sent me home with such huge needles. Poor Pumps.
I hope she feels better soon. And I also hope that finding her meds/supplies gets a lot easier. :hugs:
Get Well Soon Mama to Kitten 473x355.jpg

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Thank you margd margd ! Looks like I was wrong!! The needles they gave me are indeed 22 g but the smaller ones are 25G. I was wrong. So it isn't 18G-I just assumed that was what it was-I didn't read the package-just physically noticed the older needles are half the size. At least after next week it will only be one shot a week so we won't need a ton of them.

Happy belated birthday arouetta arouetta !!! Did you have a good day?!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you margd margd ! Looks like I was wrong!! The needles they gave me are indeed 22 g but the smaller ones are 25G. I was wrong. So it isn't 18G-I just assumed that was what it was-I didn't read the package-just physically noticed the older needles are half the size. At least after next week it will only be one shot a week so we won't need a ton of them.

Happy belated birthday arouetta arouetta !!! Did you have a good day?!
I was just going to mention about needle size, good thing I kept reading.
The higher the needle size, the smaller the needle. So, an 18g needle is something you would use on livestock (I never did, but that's the standard). A 22g needle is one they use on smaller animals.
25g is really thin and may not puncture the thick hide of a cat.

Hope Pumps feels better soon.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This isn't a stupid question at all. I found it so intriguing that I just tried to find the answer but got nowhere. The only thing that I can think of is that when the ISS was built in the late 1990s, they didn't have the technological know-how to build it that way. Just a guess.
I thought the ISS was originally the MIR built back in 1986. I'll have to look into that. I think you're correct either way.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought the ISS was originally the MIR built back in 1986. I'll have to look into that. I think you're correct either way.
No, they started putting the ISS together while Mir was still around. Then the US pressured Russia hard to get rid of Mir so they could dedicate their space funds to the ISS instead of splitting it between the ISS and Mir. So Russia deliberately crashed Mir into the South Pacific ocean, somewhere near Australia. They chose to deliberately crash it there because if they just abandoned it in space the orbit would eventually decay and it could have smacked into the middle of some city.

I remember the corporation who owns Taco Bell put a big target on the ocean where it was planned to be crashed and had some kind of insane free tacos offer if Mir hit the target. Mir didn't hit the target, but it was very close to the planned crash point.

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to be putting up a thread in the Cat Health subforum about Montressor. I'd love all your input, but I'm putting it there since not everyone is on this thread, only us cool kids are.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, my son is in Phoenix this week for a defensive driving course. He's driven up here, but has anxiety driving. I figured if he can drive in Phx, up here is a walk in the park.
Today was his first lesson. He did very well except he got marked down for not running a yellow light.
Excuse me? If you're not in the intersection when it changes to yellow, you must stop. Cops up here will nail you for that. Although, Andy and Barney will nail you for anything up here. I guess the town needs money or something.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Pumps looks a bit better this morning..the runny eyes slowed down.
This is good news. Any little step in the right direction!

I'm going to be putting up a thread in the Cat Health subforum about Montressor. I'd love all your input, but I'm putting it there since not everyone is on this thread, only us cool kids are.
I'll be on the lookout for it.

All quiet here today. I don't seem to have much to say at all. But this is a good thing, right?

margd

Veteran
Purraise
So, my son is in Phoenix this week for a defensive driving course. He's driven up here, but has anxiety driving. I figured if he can drive in Phx, up here is a walk in the park.
Today was his first lesson. He did very well except he got marked down for not running a yellow light.
Excuse me? If you're not in the intersection when it changes to yellow, you must stop. Cops up here will nail you for that. Although, Andy and Barney will nail you for anything up here. I guess the town needs money or something.
When I took driver's ed back in the never mind decade, my teacher taught that you should only run a yellow light if you couldn't stop in time to avoid getting rear ended. You should always stop for a red light because obviously you've obeyed the law and slowed down for yellow and would be able to stop safely.

I've noticed that the new convention seems to be that you only have to stop for a yellow light if you can't get to the other side before it turns red. As for red lights, now they seem to be treated like yellow ones used to be - it's okay to run them if you can't stop in time to avoid being rear ended.

Then, of course, there are the drivers who think that traffic lights are just suggestions and that you don't have to obey them if you don't feel like it.

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
The rule is "stop if you can stop safely". Slamming on your brakes for a light that turned yellow when you are too close to the line is not considered safe as it doesn't give the driver behind you a lot of reaction time. A good rule of thumb for multi-lane roads is if you are so far forward that the white dotted line between you and the other lane going your way is now a solid line, you are too close to stop safely. Safe stopping distance on a sunny dry day is often how road planners determine where to start the solid line.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have actually seen someone get pulled over for running a yellow when it was not safe to stop. Andy and Barney obviously have nothing better to do. Yet it's o.k. for them to pull a u-turn in town across 4 lanes of traffic. Did this right in front of me and I followed him until he turned into the station, so there was no emergency.

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
I have actually seen someone get pulled over for running a yellow when it was not safe to stop. Andy and Barney obviously have nothing better to do. Yet it's o.k. for them to pull a u-turn in town across 4 lanes of traffic. Did this right in front of me and I followed him until he turned into the station, so there was no emergency.
I hope the driver argued it in court, because he likely could have won. During the few times I had to go to court I saw a few tickets overturned when the judge didn't agree with the cop. The two I remember clearly was the guy who ran into a cop car and the guy with the distinctively painted pickup who got a speeding ticket.

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
I might be getting my forums mixed up, but didn't someone here have a picture of a weird flat spider? I saw a picture of the same spider in a different forum.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
I hope the driver argued it in court, because he likely could have won. During the few times I had to go to court I saw a few tickets overturned when the judge didn't agree with the cop. The two I remember clearly was the guy who ran into a cop car and the guy with the distinctively painted pickup who got a speeding ticket.
I argued a ticket in court once also and won. I was waiting to make a left turn while traffic was coming the other way and was already half way into the intersection so when traffic in the other direction finally stopped I went and finished my left turn. By then the light had turned red. Where was I going to go? Back up out of the intersection? Sure, there were cars behind me. So I got a ticket. It turned out that the cop on his motorcycle handed out several tickets on that street which he all lost. Not because of this kind of thing but (STUPID!) he had marked down the wrong intersection on every one of those 4 or 5 tickets! Right main street, wrong intersection. It pays to really look at your ticket although I had not noticed it until I was in the court room. I'm still chuckling over that one when I think of it and that must have been 30+ years ago.

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
New item for the kitty corner. I decided to focus on doll and baby toys, I am looking for a swing. I plan on carpeting the wall and throws for the floor.
IMG_20171019_110316.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.