The "What's on your mind?" Thread -2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tallyollyopia tallyollyopia that building looks so modern and I thought most of the buildings were made of organic materials. How about a leather bound book. I also assumed (not sure why) different classes would be in different buildings like on a college campus or a summer camp. Everything seems spread out already.

Personally I think a mushroom shaped building would be fun somewhere, maybe for healing classes/herbal remedies. Swings could hang down outside or cauldrons.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I want to preface this W Willowy by saying that I am in no way saying that your opinion is wrong, but there are a few flaws in the studies I would like to point out. First off, I'm going to quote one of the studies itself (well, a quote within a quote, you get the idea): “The studies do not discriminate well between non-abusive and overly severe types of corporal punishment,” Larzelere says. “You get worse outcomes from corporal punishment than from alternative disciplinary techniques only when it is used more severely or as the primary discipline tactic.” Another quote from slightly later in the same study: In a meta-analysis of 26 studies, Larzelere and a colleague found that an approach they described as “conditional spanking” led to greater reductions in child defiance or anti-social behavior than 10 of 13 alternative discipline techniques, including reasoning, removal of privileges and time out (Clinical Child and Family Psychology Review, 2005). Larzelere defines conditional spanking as a disciplinary technique for 2- to 6-year-old children in which parents use two open-handed swats on the buttocks only after the child has defied milder discipline such as time out.

That said, the one that raised the most scientific ire in me was a single phrase in the study, Risks of Harm from Spanking Confirmed. (Yes, I know the full title is much longer, but please bear with me.) In it, the phrase "more specific to the effects of spanking alone than previous papers, which included other types of physical punishment in their analyses," raised some mental red flags. This does not adequately explain what the data is. Were the children from homes that used spanking as the sole disciplinary measure? Did the researches simply not count any other disciplinary measure than spanking, no matter what the child in question was experiencing? It reminded me sharply of a sociology essay I had to study in college that tracked the emotional health of young girls experimenting with premarital sex "regardless of whether the culture she came from either vilified or endorsed the actions." Those make for some pretty sharp distinctions. A teenage girl who comes from a culture where her father is expected to make her a tree house so she can have a place outside of home to experiment in while still being within reach of her parents' safety net (it really exists) is going to have a very different emotional response than one from a culture where she's told it's imperative to keep herself "pure" before marriage. It also reminded me of an early 2000's study asking how frequently people used the internet--which seems innocuous until you realize that all of the questions were online, mostly accessed after using Google.

After reading the studies the conclusions I have drawn is that my initial analysis is correct: physical punishment should be a last resort, but it should also be an option. I think it would be far more effective to have free, mandatory classes explaining different types of behavior deterrents that a parent can use, as some people simply cannot make the mental leap that "hey, this didn't help me, it won't help my kid" and are far more likely to make the mental leap that "hey, I got spanked as a kid so I should spank my kid."

Okay. Rant over.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tallyollyopia tallyollyopia that building looks so modern and I thought most of the buildings were made of organic materials. How about a leather bound book. I also assumed (not sure why) different classes would be in different buildings like on a college campus or a summer camp. Everything seems spread out already.

Personally I think a mushroom shaped building would be fun somewhere, maybe for healing classes/herbal remedies. Swings could hang down outside or cauldrons.
I LOVE that idea! (Can I use it?)

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That has got to be the most patient stallion I've ever heard of (and I live in horse country).
You have no idea. Once, I forgot to cover a mare. If you live in horse country, you know that you only have a certain amount of days to do this. Ran out, grabbed him by his forelock, led him to the mare, and then led him away the same way I got him there. He never made a fuss. BTW, his forelock reached the tip of his nose.
I wish he had been full sized, but then he probably wouldn't have been that docile.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have no idea. Once, I forgot to cover a mare. If you live in horse country, you know that you only have a certain amount of days to do this. Ran out, grabbed him by his forelock, led him to the mare, and then led him away the same way I got him there. He never made a fuss. BTW, his forelock reached the tip of his nose.
I wish he had been full sized, but then he probably wouldn't have been that docile.
:shocked: I have no words.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, moved that discussion to IMO, I hope the participants will follow it there, I hate when the discussion dies because nobody wants to move, lol.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is POURING here! I'm hoping this is the signal that the cold front is reaching us, and our summer weather is effectively over. I am SO READY FOR FALL!

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Pumps still feels crappy...I have been using drops/ointment in her eye-got to go to tractor supply and try terramycin. They said its ok-my vet. they are going to check with the vet who examined her last week...but he leaves for vacation tomorrow after surgery...GRRRR. so hopefully they will prescribe some antibiotics or other cream? She's got a URI and didnt' get her dental last week due to wheezing...at least this vet is willing to help. They were ok with not having to bring her in since he examined her Last Tuesday. X rays and convenia shot. They didn't charge me for the shot or tell me she got it until I emailed them on Thursday letting them know she's got eye boogers and looks puffy- I didn't start the ointment 3 times a day until late Saturday. I was giving it every morning-not paying attention.

We already give her 3 to 6 meds a day=so I give myself a tiny break. She's taking Flovent inhaled meds without too much fuss. Hoping it helps her lung bronchitis. The pred seems to help her walking-she's still poking around out in the back yard every day and eats all her tuna every morning. Lysine too- so much to remember!

Last edited:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
arouetta arouetta here's the difference in how it looks once the system processes it -

Yours looks like this - I have to add extra spaces so you can see it

[ MEDIA=facebook ]type=video[ /MEDIA ]

Mine looks like this -

[ MEDIA=facebook ]id=1803403799899091;type=video[ /MEDIA ]

However you are copying the link, you aren't getting the id# for the video.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Pumps still feels crappy...
We already give her 3 to 6 meds a day=so I give myself a tiny break. She's taking Flovent inhaled meds without too much fuss. Hoping it helps her lung bronchitis. The pred seems to help her walking-she's still poking around out in the back yard every day and eats all her tuna every morning. Lysine too- so much to remember!
Sorry to hear about Pumps... What I do, because Artie is on so many meds during the day, is make up a flow chart on the computer. I just list his meds, and break it up for
7 days a week. I have it saved on my computer. It makes it so much easier to keep track of things.. kind of like what they give patients who are being discharged from the hospital.. that is exactly where I got the idea from. My dad had one each time he was discharged.

It can get overwhelming.. :redheartpump: :hugs: But you have tons of people here, who are always here for you...:alright::alright: anytime..

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Toad's visit to the shelter ended up being uneventful. She was a little annoyed that her breakfast was later than usual, but other than that she just chilled out while I worked, and then got her shots. She's happy to be back home, but didn't seem upset by the whole thing at all. :)

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm watching some science documentary, I don't even know which one. It was talking about how there's bunches of "space junk", little bits of trash circling the planet and how the Air Force didn't track one carefully enough and when they found it, it was too late to move the ISS. So the astronauts were sitting in a Soyuz capsule waiting to see if it would hit and they would have to detach and come back to Earth, or if it would miss, and it ended up missing by less than a football field.

But then the program started talking about solar flares, and how if there was a mega flare the astronauts would be in trouble. Their best idea would be to take bags of water and built a fort around themselves since water does super great at protecting from solar radiation.

Well, that calls into mind a really stupid question. Since water is great at being a shield against solar radiation, why wasn't the ISS built in the same manner that the hypothetical manned spacecraft going to Mars will likely be built - the water stores are sandwiched in a layer between the outside and the inside so the shielding is in effect at all times. You could even do two layers, an exterior one with the wiring needed to heat the water, an internal one with the water and the bulkhead between the water and the people. You could compartmentalize it so if a screw from the space junk hits one, you don't lose all your water. You could do just one or two pods this way, so the rest of the ISS has functional windows and the pod is the emergency shelter along with being the bunkroom or the wash station or Medical or whatever.

It just makes logical sense and seems safer.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
Holy (bleep)! I just saw the news. 130 million years ago on my birthday two neutron stars collided - and we saw it on my birthday this year!!!! Lots of confirmations of existing theories, a few new facts, a new way to directly measure the expansion of the universe, and the question of what was left after they collided (a bigger neutron star or a black hole)....and it was on my birthday!!!! Talk about the universe giving me a big surprise party!

Edit: Yeah I know the stars didn't collide on August 17th, 129,997,983 BC. But they said 130 million years, not 130 million 2 years, 4 months and 13 days. So I'm claiming it.

Status
Not open for further replies.