The "What's on your mind?" Thread -2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:alright: I'm afraid that in situations like that, there's really nothing you can do other than grin and bear it. As for your current suggestion, did you ask why he just wants one calendar? Maybe there's a reason and a compromise that can be worked out.
It's probably so management can easily track everyone on the main team. It's not like anyone on the main team helps cover my team's work when someone is out or vice versa anyways. We can still have our calendar, the new supervisor would just need to add our time off to the main calendar which isn't hard or time consuming to do. I'd make that suggestion but I don't want to come across as too pushy and a b**** about it.

The department is rolling out what they are calling a career ladder. It's to align our department with the rest of the company and those job titles. I'm still stuck as an associate 1 :sigh: My manager, perhaps sensing my disappointment, said that he was well aware that I want to grow in my career and encouraged me to discuss with my new supervisor to set a plan in place to get me where I want to be. He also made sure to thank me for keeing the facilities from falling apart over the last few months during the transition from the lab to the department and for my years of work at the company. I made sure to point out that it's been 12 years since yesterday. I don't know, it all came off as a little fake like he was just saying thanks and all that beause it's just something you do during a discission of this type. And maybe he said all that so I wouldn't cry :paperbag:

I have no idea if my one co-worker is still an associate 1 or was moved up to an associate 2. Doubtful since she lacks the skills and experience and certification required. She's still in a bad mood. She pointedly did not sit next to me and our new sueprvisor at a meeting today even though there were plenty of seats available. If it's not resentment towards me because I have help every day and she doesn't, it's probably something in her personal life which I'm not going to pry into.

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately None of my appliances are in this century. Other than the washer/dryer- Not likely they will give me a warranty and I think $500 a year for something I never use is too much. I don't have a garage or standard home so doubt that I will qualify. Thank you for the offer!

Last night he took the dryer apart and the tubing was stuffed full of lint. I have to see about wiring an axillary booster blower motor on there=the motor doesn't have enough UMP to blow the lint out-so we will have to do this every 6 months. we also looking for a new exhaust hose that's shorter and rigid. I think part of the problem is the tube is very long-so if we only need an elbow bend to go from the bottom of dryer to the back of dryer in the floor where the shoot is built=maybe it won't clog up as fast.

Today I will be looking up parts to order now that I have the model number..I think he was enjoying himself.
Since a warranty wouldn't be beneficial, it's good that your hubby knows how to fix the dryer. Hope you get the part and can get it fixed soon. We need our conveniences! :crossfingers:

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Leaving for the ocean tomorrow. The cats will have their first time in our new home with a cat sitter. Very very nervous about it. I'm trying to write directions for the cat sitter and there are just so many things.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
:mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::frustrated::fuming:Well last night turned into a huge argument about dumb dryer. I ordered the parts I was told to order-and he had a fit. Said we could buy a new one for goodness sake. And I told him the drum has to come out. I can't reach the fuse with the front panel on. I got some of the computer clips apart but there's one I can't get apart. I also marked each connection with a special pattern so I know where things go together. I told him I will lift the drum. Just get the front panel off and I will deal with the damn drum.

So we didn't speak all night. I swear I don't understand his attitude. It's not like he's never fixed things before. He's always working on his heavy equipment and puttering..I figured he would enjoy something to do other than watch tv. I guess he doesn't like the fact my home is small and no room to put parts. I said just stick the drum in the kitchen. It's fine. I just frustrated. I figured he would like to save some CASH. I bought the parts not him!! WTH?!! :censored: :headshake: :mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::argh::livid::livid::livid::livid::livid::livid::livid::angrywoman::angrywoman:

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't reach the fuse with the front panel on. I got some of the computer clips apart but there's one I can't get apart.
Obviously all dryers are different, but I do remember how hard it is to take panels off. I want to say that I used a flat head screwdriver as a lever to pop or push the clamps off.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've got to buy a narrow putty knife=that's what the guy used in the video=It's doable=just sucks at end of a busy day I just want to eat, put my feet up and go to bed after watching tv. The last thing I want do is play around with some dumb machine at the hottest time of the day. The parts won't be in until Saturday and that fuse won't be in until Monday. I found the fuse online at Wal-Mart and it was only $8 and gave discount for me to pick up instore. They will hold for 7 days.

I just don't understand why he's whining about this-he's retired and lays on my couch all day=so what if he has to mess around with a dryer?! He needs it more than I do-I air dry most of my clothes. He hired some handyman to fix it last time and it cost $600=and the dork didn't check any of the stuff I told him to check-fuse and thermostat. He didn't even run the computer diagnostics on the control panel. And the biggest issue was the first motor was broken-so reorder another one=took 3 weeks to get fixed. Then it still didn't work-so ordered computer board=then it worked=I still say it was the ECM because of the way it was acting-pushing some buttons caused different functions to work. Good grief.

So my reasoning was we would replace the high limit switch and fuses and see if it works-I also bought heater element but I don't think that's what it was but since it wasn't replaced the last time around-probably go ahead and replace it- the real kicker will be if the fuse box on the wall only blew a half of the block-we should have checked this before we tore it apart...let's hope the heater works when we fix it-he's worried we won't be able to put it back together=it doesn't look too complicated to put back together-but I said to him-get your garage built so we can take it up there and have room to work...he's annoyed with me because I have stuff everywhere.

I still have bagged clothes to take to goodwill I keep forgetting to toss into my truck plus the books in my truck I need to get priced and put into my book booth...I should have spent those two weeks off work doing that instead..but nope I was down on the picket line-and unemployment had no issues with us picketing. Because it was a lockout instead of "Strike". They expedited our case and people got paid 5 days later after the hold period.

I also am catching up on pacer dot gov documents concerning the bankruptcy of my employer-very interesting data has come out! Now we need the business plan to see if we are viable. Next court date is July 13 and 25. So the 25 I imagine will have that information or at least they have to present to the bankruptcy judge. I will be monitoring all electronic filed documents to see if I find any info to give us clues of how long we have a job for and when the hammer falls.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
just found out they will give us holiday pay for the day we were locked out. So July 3 and 4 will be holidays. We have lost 14 people now. They are trying to stop the onslant. Many of us have resumes and interviews..the tide is leaving=and they will learn the hard way that Monday talks and BS walks. If they don't pay the going rates=people will leave. Right now we have 3 big unions in Mass and NH who are desperately looking for people and paying decent wages. After I burn my vacation time I have been considering putting in to work on the road and make the big bucks. I need to refresh myself but I think I could do the tasks at least as a welders helper or assistant in the beginning.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well...the shopping got done, everything got put away, and I had time to eat before my conference call. MAN was I wiped out. Good to get back to normal.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is it bad to suck up to the new supervisor not even two weeks after she started? :paperbag: I was talking to someone in the lab about his upcoming house closing. he said he was going to take that day off and the week afterwards to move. I asked who was going to cover the work in the facility and he said he didn't know. So I emailed the new supervisor to let her know that there won't be any facility coverage by the lab on XYZ days. I suggested that since we have extra help on Mondays and Fridays and a new person on board next week, we could manage the coverage ourselves without needing to ask the lab for help. Then I proposed how the staff's time could be allocated on XYZ days. I closed the email with a "let me know if the team can support this suggestion". I probably won't get a response until tomorrow. This is something my co-worker wouldn't have done.

I'm kind of trying to put myself on the supervisor's good side to be in a better place for a promotion :paperbag: Not really sure if it would do much good since everyone in management has to approve a promotion and my past history with the department will likely be brought up at some point in discussions by certain people and my supervisor may change her mind about promoting me :paranoid::ohwell::sigh: Besides the new hire is already BFFs with the supervisor so favoritism may come into play.

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
I'm trying to get back on the diet after my calorie increase to combat starvation mode. But I've been craving chocolate like crazy. Well, what if I looked at sugar-free chocolate? Yeah, no. Russell Stover sugar-free stuff actually has more calories per piece than regular Andes' mints and most of the Hershey's and Mars miniatures bags. I found a bag of Reese's sugar-free mini peanut butter cups and compared those to the regular ones. Only 5 less calories per piece, and I don't know why the difference is so small. Saturated fat and total carbs were within a gram of each other. Cholesterol and total fat were identical. Carb breakdown was hugely different, the regular only had 2 or 3 grams of fiber while the sugar-free ones had 6 grams of fiber and 20 grams of sugar alcohols, leaving 1 countable carb. So with a dramatic reduction in sugar and no increase in other carbs, I can't figure out where all those calories are coming from.

On the plus side, at work yesterday I checked out my appearance in a mirror and my pants were super baggy. Turns out I've dropped another pants size. And this drop means I've gone from plus size clothes to the regular women's section. Yippee!!!

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Came home to a surprise! He took the dryer all apart!! Said the heater element was toast. I said it's ok-I ordered a new one. So nice to have access to all those parts I ordered. He still insists on buying a new dryer. I said nope. Not until this one dies again-and put in a new vent pipe-I am going to see what I can find online-the drain pipe idea sounds good but still need a flexible one for when the dryer gets pulled out-you can't access the power cord without doing this.

Woke up with a splitting headache. took an aleve-takes a good hour for that to work...and upset stomach.

Doc appointment this morning for my foot but it's not hurting as bad since I started that NSAID they prescribed for me-hopefully I don't waste their time.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm trying to get back on the diet after my calorie increase to combat starvation mode. But I've been craving chocolate like crazy. Well, what if I looked at sugar-free chocolate? Yeah, no. Russell Stover sugar-free stuff actually has more calories per piece than regular Andes' mints and most of the Hershey's and Mars miniatures bags. I found a bag of Reese's sugar-free mini peanut butter cups and compared those to the regular ones. Only 5 less calories per piece, and I don't know why the difference is so small. Saturated fat and total carbs were within a gram of each other. Cholesterol and total fat were identical. Carb breakdown was hugely different, the regular only had 2 or 3 grams of fiber while the sugar-free ones had 6 grams of fiber and 20 grams of sugar alcohols, leaving 1 countable carb. So with a dramatic reduction in sugar and no increase in other carbs, I can't figure out where all those calories are coming from.

On the plus side, at work yesterday I checked out my appearance in a mirror and my pants were super baggy. Turns out I've dropped another pants size. And this drop means I've gone from plus size clothes to the regular women's section. Yippee!!!
Congratulations on your loss! Baggy pants are a good, if expensive, thing to have. Now you can celebrate by buying a new pair to shrink out of.

Sometimes a craving for chocolate is actually a need for magnesium. You might try taking a modest supplement or find a food that's rich in it. Of course, a good piece of chocolate can be a very satisfying reward for your weight loss, too. Moderation is the key. Studies have shown that denying a craving can result in overeating something else. Find a piece of really delicious chocolate and let it melt very slowly in your mouth, resisting the urge to chew it. The longer-lasting sensation will make you think you've eaten more than you have, resulting in greater satisfaction.

I'll be part of your weight loss cheering section.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:frustrated::frustrated: So much for taking the initiative to find upcoming coverage and suggesting a way to cover the work. Manager kind of shot the idea down, saying the lab is providing full coverage on Mondays and Fridays as agreed upon so one person being out won't matter. Um, no one in the lab actually comes to do the work. It's just the one person for the most part. No response from the new supervisor about this so far.

I still can't figure this out: they want suggestions and ideas and alawys go on a spiel about how they welcome and encourage all that but when I offer one, it gets shot down and later at review time I'm told that I don't offer suggestions / ideas :confused2::confused2: Maybe I'm just not presenting the suggestion or idea the right way??

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think they are giving you lip service. My company does the same. I don't give suggestions anymore. I just come in. Do my job. Go home. I don't make any offers for improvement-I have suggested many different things in the 14 years I have been here-it's like talking to the wall. They say they want suggestions-but then when you do suggest something=they get mad because it's not tHEIR idea. My suggestion=back off and let it go. Be open to suggestions but they don't want us minions to make ripples even if our ideas make sense...hard to do I know.
I am sorry they are not being reasonable. I understand your frustration!

Doc assistant said it's not a bad injury-thinks tendonitis and I have a bone spur in the joint where it hurts. I can't lift my toe without assistance. They said keep taking aleve and come back in 6 weeks. gave me metal inserts to wear but I can not get my foot into the boot with it-I had to take the insert out to put it in there-so I have no arch support. I had thicker socks on-I have to locate new thin larger size socks-the small ones squeeze my foot and cause intense pain!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They do accept ideas, just from certain people :livid: With my previous supervisor on a different team, I had to bring ideas and suggestions to the team lead and let her present it to the supervisor because he'd listen to her and let her do whatever she wanted. Of course, she'd end up getting all the credit :livid: If I brought it up directly to the supervisor, I got shot down in a such a condenscending way that I'd always end up in tears. I think I brought this up to HR once but the HR person dismissed it :sigh: I honestly want to say the next time I'm ask for a suggestion this, " I have a suggestion that may solve the issue but I'm not going to say it because you're just going to shoot it down and make me feel like an :censored: for even coming up with a suggestion":paperbag:

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
LTS3 LTS3 I'm going to play armchair psychiatrist. Is it possible that your family conditioned you during your childhood to ask for things in a way that's really passive? A passive approach to suggestions in a business environment would result in repeated negative responses. Maybe you could listen to how you present things and then ask people close to you (that want you to succeed) how you can make it a confident and assertive approach.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like this idea arouetta arouetta As someone who also came from a dysfunctional home and hyperviligence=I too used to always try to guess the next thing needed without listening to yelling that why didn't I get x or y because they were doing x and y. I still struggle with this. It's very hard to untrain our brains to not do what we have been conditioned for. And I do understand your frustration. Very much so. Sounds like a hostile work environment? Hoping you find a solution so your voice is heard too. Too bad that coworker couldn't speak up and actually say that you came up with the idea first. Or come out and tell her to please let them know you came up with the idea or you could just fade away into the background and let them figure it out-very frustrating I understand. :hugs:

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
My step sister died on Sunday. She was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer 3.5 years ago. She had just turned 50 in April.
We've been sisters since Jan. 1, 1983. We haven't lived in the same city for 18 years and the last time I saw her was 11 years ago when I helped my mom & step dad move to my city.
My step dad is 81 and has been in a rehab/nursing home since December after a fall at home. My poor mom is turning 70 on Friday and things aren't hopeful for my step dad ever coming home.
No one wants to outlive their children... I'm sad for so many different reasons right now. Just needed to say this to someone.
:grouphug::alright::grouphug2::hearthrob::redheartpump:

Status
Not open for further replies.