The Weirdest Thing (to Me Anyway)...

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do cats not smell one another, even if they don't see each other? Feeby has always gone ballistic whenever she's seen another cat in the yard (with the exception of one years ago). My neighbor has a couple of abandoned cats, and one of them for whatever reason decided to spend a lot of today in my back yard right outside the screened in patio door. Feeby woke from her typical afternoon nap and went outside to her favorite water dish. The two cats were maybe 4-5 feet apart but couldn't see each other. I really didn't expect the visitor cat to react (she's really laid back), unless Feeby reacted. But, Feeby didn't react either. Instead she stayed away from the door? Feeby is 14+, is she losing her smell? Feeby has seen this cat before, and went nuts. I am confused, but delighted there was no confrontation.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Dunno. Hekitty isn't fond of other cats, and goes ballistic when a stranger is outside (although she's ok with the few she knows by sight). A neighbor brought her new kitten over the other day (rescued from a pile of rubish in a rainstorm, all of 5 weeks old), and Hekitty didn't even respond to him until she was right up on him and he moved. THEN she wanted to go for him. I'd have thought she would have smelled him as well, but nope. Not so's you'd notice.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't think Ruby is too fond of other cats either, but as an inside only girl, she only sees them outside the window.

Interesting though, once when she was at the vet, she was on the counter in her carrier, and the resident cat was just below her on the desk and Ruby didn't respond at all. Not sure if she didn't see him, smell him, or was just too stressed since she was at the vet. :dunno:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Haha! That is not how Feeby normally acts, but who knows. She usually plays the "Get out of my yard or I will kill you" game!

I just think it had something to do with the fact that they didn't see each other, but still trying to figure why smell didn't come into play.

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think it depends on the cat. My boy is territorial and will try to attack another cat if he sees one out on our walks. Most cats are pretty good about hiding in bushes when we pass though, so often I see them and he doesn't even notice! He just isn't observant, which is for the best.

I've never noticed him smell another cat (cat urine yes, he does notice that and will mark overtop). Cats are quiet and have evolved to be low scent, so unless he was entering another cat's heavily-scented home he won't smell them.

Last edited:

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I too think it depends on the cat and what senses they've come to rely on. My Reese for example seems to rely much more on her nose and ears rather than her eyes. She has to smell everything.

If she doesn't recognize me because of new perfume or odd clothes, she will run, but if she hears my voice she bolts back to leap into my arms with a headbutt like 'oh, it's YOU!' She also prefers white toys over any other color. We have brown carpet and she won't play with any of her dark colored toys on the carpet. Even if she's chasing one, if you tossed it onto that area she would lose it. I think it's got something to do with that eye infection she had when she was a kitten. She still gets a lazy lid when she's tired, poor thing.

Now Sir has sharper eyes than anything, I think. He spots things out the windows that I sure didn't see! Taking him for walks can also be a blast when a strange cat slinks through the bushes a football field away and catches his eye. :rolleyes2: Leaving me standing there going 'what the heck are you puffing up at?!'

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s possible Feeby always smells this cat and has resigned herself to it. Or perhaps without visual confirmation, it doesn’t seem like a threat. Or maybe her smell is going with age.

Sometimes I catch Krista looking at herself in the mirror. I don’t know what she thinks about her reflection. She never seems to react one way or another. I always tell her, “Pay no mind to that other cat. She doesn’t smell right.” And that’s probably what’s going on. I don’t know if Krista understands the reflection is her but the lack of that “other cat” smell is probably why she never reacts to it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I will be scared for Feeby's health if she starts to 'resign' herself to anything - lol!! But, I do think because of her age, maybe she is just not a vigilant as she once was - and this other cat is very docile and quiet. I still think if Feeby would have actually seen this other cat, she would have gone nuts!

Feeby also stares at her own reflection in the patio glass door. Have no idea what is going on in her head. But, she doesn't react in any particular way. So, perhaps non-moving cats don't affect her the same way as those skulking about in her yard.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you get old you have good days and kinda seriously tired here days. ON the STHDs if there is someone else to run off the intruder, you let him/her. Or, if the intruder keeps her fffing distance you let it go.

It doesn't mean you can't still fight, it just means you no longer live to fight.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha! That is not how Feeby normally acts, but who knows. She usually plays the "Get out of my yard or I will kill you" game!
I once had a cat named "Spike" who would just walk into the middle of whatever he thought was his and take possession. He would ignore anybody else who was there as if it was his right to be there.

But if anybody else disturbed him he would lash out and try to chase off any body who dared challenge him.