The Weirdest Question You'll Read All Day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Blasphemy! Don't even talk like that! That would be the worst kind of horror movie - allergic to cats! And chocolate! I shudder at the thought!
I'm "technically" allergic to cats actually, or at least according to my doctor when I was a teenager. My mom joked "Well, I guess I have to get rid of my kid." I was never bad. Just some coughing fits, more or less. They stopped when I was done with high school.

Incidentally, that high school was torn down and a new one was built shortly after. I'm betting mold. I don't know if I ever really was allergic to cats, because I'm fine now. I don't get any allergy symptoms whatsoever, and I have 9 + an ever fluctuating number of adoptable rescues.

Brilliant ! I always wondered why my never been bathed grace smelt so good . When we first picked her up the first thing my very OCD partner said to the young girl who handed her over was: ‘she smells lovely ‘. She just looked at him like he was a weirdo . I always assumed she had some hidden soap in her paws when she cleans herself !!
I'm a lot like your partner. I notice the smell of everything and have a very strong nose.

To tell a funny story, one of my exes is a childhood friend, so, from the get-go, we were more comfortable than most couples are initially. Like, "pass gas in front of each other and turn it into a competition" comfortable. We'd known one another our whole lives.

Well, one day, we were showering together, which, in case you haven't done this with your partner, is way less romantic and sexy than it sounds, especially in this instance; he was under the faucet, and I smelled something: namely, ammonia. I laughed at him and said "Oh my gosh, are you peeing in the shower with me in it?" He turned beet red. It was great. I, of course, couldn't step out of the water fast enough. After I told him I knew because I smelled it, he started calling me Wolverine. :flail:

Weird fact I know for some reason: cat saliva actually contains a detergent that helps them clean their fur.
TIL: Cat spit has a kind of soap in it. That actually explains a lot. I wonder if any studies have been done on whether or not your cat licking your face is good for your skin. I have a few face lickers (one who is borderline obsessive with it, Aegon, the beautiful flame point in my avatar) and I can tell you one thing: cat tongue makes a great exfoliant!

*Agree with everything you wrote* and what gorgeous CATS! Yes, I would definitely think Lynx Point. And I'm a big true crime fan, too. ID is one of my favorite channels on satellite and I also like all the channels that air these true crime shows. Some of them are too much for me (anything where a perp is abusive to cats gets changed quickly) but other than those, I'm really into them. I haven't seen "THE CHESHIRE MURDERS" but will have to check it out. I also read a lot of murder mysteries.
Thank you! The weird thing is, he's stripey everywhere, not just on the points. I guess it just makes him a really dark lynx point? It is cool to have a lynx point with lynx tips, though. If it weren't for overpopulation, it'd be cool to try and mix lynx point Siamese with Maine Coons to try and make the ultimate faux lynx breed. I know one already exists, and they're beautiful, but I think you could get a cat that looks more like a lynx this way. You couldn't get the short tail without throwing in another breed and adding more variables, but oh well.

Right there with you on when they hurt cats. The man from Making a Murderer burned a cat alive, but the whole series is supposed to make you feel sorry for him. I don't, because of that one fact, and I really hope Avery spends his life in prison, because even if he didn't kill or rape anyone, that one act should be life in prison imo. Only watch The Cheshire Murders if you're really strong in distancing yourself from these things emotionally. That whole doc is a dark, dark rabbit hole to dive into. It's not just what they did, but the way/reason they selected the Petit family, how Josh Komisarjevsky refers to/acts about the victim he victimized in the worst way, his journal entry about what happened, and that both men spent hours getting to know the women of the family and then did what they did. Also, how the oldest girl died was pretty disturbing to me as well. It's just magnifier glass look at the abyss of the worst of human evil.

A great series, far better than Making a Murderer imo, was The Jinx. First of all, Durst, the suspected murderer, is a very interesting and intelligent person, even relateable at times with his witty quips about his dislike for people. He's funny, in an odd way, but also very creepy looking and he says suspicious things throughout. He had a terrible childhood, which makes you feel a bit for him. He's even caught with one case and goes to trial. Quite interesting how that turns out. Then, the last episode. . . Well, it needs to be seen/heard, not told. It's jaw-dropping. It's my favorite documentary, period. If you haven't seen it, you really should. I give it a 9/10. The highest I'll give anything is a 9.5, and I took .5 off because it's being claimed that the ending was edited to be deceiving, but we will see if it was or not.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine sometimes groom me a bit. I have ridiculously sensitive skin and I've never broken out from cat spit, so take from that what you will.
I can watch ant kind of horror movie/show where the victims are adults but if children or animals are involved, I just can't deal. Blood and gore doesn't bother me but when innocents are harmed . . .

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mine sometimes groom me a bit. I have ridiculously sensitive skin and I've never broken out from cat spit, so take from that what you will.
I can watch ant kind of horror movie/show where the victims are adults but if children or animals are involved, I just can't deal. Blood and gore doesn't bother me but when innocents are harmed . . .
Then I suggest you avoid The Cheshire Murders, but you might enjoy The Jinx.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm "technically" allergic to cats actually, or at least according to my doctor when I was a teenager. My mom joked "Well, I guess I have to get rid of my kid." I was never bad. Just some coughing fits, more or less. They stopped when I was done with high school.

Incidentally, that high school was torn down and a new one was built shortly after. I'm betting mold. I don't know if I ever really was allergic to cats, because I'm fine now. I don't get any allergy symptoms whatsoever, and I have 9 + an ever fluctuating number of adoptable rescues.

I'm a lot like your partner. I notice the smell of everything and have a very strong nose.

To tell a funny story, one of my exes is a childhood friend, so, from the get-go, we were more comfortable than most couples are initially. Like, "pass gas in front of each other and turn it into a competition" comfortable. We'd known one another our whole lives.

Well, one day, we were showering together, which, in case you haven't done this with your partner, is way less romantic and sexy than it sounds, especially in this instance; he was under the faucet, and I smelled something: namely, ammonia. I laughed at him and said "Oh my gosh, are you peeing in the shower with me in it?" He turned beet red. It was great. I, of course, couldn't step out of the water fast enough. After I told him I knew because I smelled it, he started calling me Wolverine. :flail:

TIL: Cat spit has a kind of soap in it. That actually explains a lot. I wonder if any studies have been done on whether or not your cat licking your face is good for your skin. I have a few face lickers (one who is borderline obsessive with it, Aegon, the beautiful flame point in my avatar) and I can tell you one thing: cat tongue makes a great exfoliant!

Thank you! The weird thing is, he's stripey everywhere, not just on the points. I guess it just makes him a really dark lynx point? It is cool to have a lynx point with lynx tips, though. If it weren't for overpopulation, it'd be cool to try and mix lynx point Siamese with Maine Coons to try and make the ultimate faux lynx breed. I know one already exists, and they're beautiful, but I think you could get a cat that looks more like a lynx this way. You couldn't get the short tail without throwing in another breed and adding more variables, but oh well.

Right there with you on when they hurt cats. The man from Making a Murderer burned a cat alive, but the whole series is supposed to make you feel sorry for him. I don't, because of that one fact, and I really hope Avery spends his life in prison, because even if he didn't kill or rape anyone, that one act should be life in prison imo. Only watch The Cheshire Murders if you're really strong in distancing yourself from these things emotionally. That whole doc is a dark, dark rabbit hole to dive into. It's not just what they did, but the way/reason they selected the Petit family, how Josh Komisarjevsky refers to/acts about the victim he victimized in the worst way, his journal entry about what happened, and that both men spent hours getting to know the women of the family and then did what they did. Also, how the oldest girl died was pretty disturbing to me as well. It's just magnifier glass look at the abyss of the worst of human evil.

A great series, far better than Making a Murderer imo, was The Jinx. First of all, Durst, the suspected murderer, is a very interesting and intelligent person, even relateable at times with his witty quips about his dislike for people. He's funny, in an odd way, but also very creepy looking and he says suspicious things throughout. He had a terrible childhood, which makes you feel a bit for him. He's even caught with one case and goes to trial. Quite interesting how that turns out. Then, the last episode. . . Well, it needs to be seen/heard, not told. It's jaw-dropping. It's my favorite documentary, period. If you haven't seen it, you really should. I give it a 9/10. The highest I'll give anything is a 9.5, and I took .5 off because it's being claimed that the ending was edited to be deceiving, but we will see if it was or not.
Avery? *Take OUT the TRASH*. Anyone who wilfully harms any cat deserves capital punishment, quickly, as was law in ancient Egypt.
As for terrible childhoods, my mom's and to some extent my dad's would curl people's toenails, but they were model citizens, kind, compassionate, hard-working and very personally responsible, all of which they taught me as life lessons. I've never bought that as an excuse or a reason why people go haywire. We always have CHOICES. Not to say I haven't made a lot of bad ones but never in terms of harming another and always I try to learn the lesson because there is always one there to learn.

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
MistyDawn MistyDawn - Hex is a beautiful boy! Are you sure about him being 50% Maine Coon? I wonder if there isn't some distant Bengal heritage there with his markings. I think Bengals and Siamese are both big jumpers too! Seems the short hair breeds are better jumpers than the big breeds. Just throwing it out there.

Alaska is just stunning. You can tell he's a thorough bred. I love white cats and silvers. One of my cats in my earlier cat years was solid white with odd eyes and def. I found him on the side of the road, literally on the white line in busy traffic. He was a great cat also! After he passed I wanted one that looked just like him and I thought he was a MC at the time, that's how I ran across Tama. When I seen the silvers on the breeders page I just fell in love. As it turned out when I called she had one that was going to be ready to pick up that weekend. I think I called on a Tuesday. I picked him up the following weekend on Labor Day. He was a high white so I felt like I was getting the best of both worlds with the white and silver. Manny reminds me of Tama with his colors and markings. He's more of a blue I think than silver with some smoke mixed in. Tama had some smoke mixed in too. When I seen Manny online it was like it was meant to be. They had several other apps in front of me but I think my vet made me out to be a cat whisperer along with my experience with long hairs they decided to go with me. He kept running under the couch when I went to meet him and was not social at all. The thing I did notice is he didn't hiss or try to swat or scratch. No aggression at all. He hid for 4 days after I brought him home. He's made progress in leaps and bounds since then and still continues too. Still to this day he's never hissed or been aggressive at all.

Manny trills, chirps and has like five different meows. He has his demanding meow, his normal meow, his sweet meow, a groggy raspy meow (after he just wakes up) and a silent meow. His mouth moves but nothing comes out but like a gasp. Sometimes he'll meow and it switches mid stream into a trill. He's loaded with personality! How someone could have abused him is beyond me. He's like a perfect gentleman. No behavioral issues at all.

I wish you luck with Alaska. His name fits! I'm wondering if your planning on showing him in CFA or TICA? From what I've been told and read he would probably show better in TICA. He has more of a feral look. I was told that Tama was more of a CFA bred cat. I'm no expert in showing at all though. I have toyed with the idea but just not in the position to do it at the moment. I think Alaska will do well. His muzzle and ear set is phenomenal. There's a few Big Breed lovers that I don't think have commented here. Maybe mightyboosh mightyboosh , @1CatOverTheLine, @abyeb, @stefanz will come by a weigh in. I know they'd love to see this gorgeous guy! You may have to lock Alaska up so they don't try and steal him!:lol:

Well I didn't want to make this to long but I could go on all day talking about cats! Definitely let me know how he does showing and keep the pics coming as he grows. Maybe you could start a thread about his journey growing up and showing! Here's a few pics of Tama and Manny. The first 2 are of Tama at around 2 years old. The 2 below those he was some where around 13 or 14.
77820016.jpg 8028c.015.jpg IMG_0231.JPG IMG_0244.JPG
These are of Manny. He turned 2 according to estimated date of birth in Sep. I have some pics of Tama as a kitten and my white cat Sabian I wish I could post but they are 35mm film. Before digital camera's! I'm going to try and scan them or get them transferred to CD hopefully in the near future when time permits!
IMG_4785.JPG IMG_4776.JPG
IMG_4759.JPG IMG_4778.JPG

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I meant to ask if I may. Who was the breeder you got Alaska from? Were they in Michigan?

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
MistyDawn MistyDawn sabian sabian I think it's clear that Alaska won't just steal a judges' heart but also any one with a pair of working eyes. I think he shows great potential. He's simply a stunning, beautiful creature. Just wait until he's reached his maximum size and glory! I'm afraid he is already on my list and doubtless @1CatOverTheLine 's list as well. You'd better guard him well.

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
MistyDawn MistyDawn - Hex is a beautiful boy! Are you sure about him being 50% Maine Coon? I wonder if there isn't some distant Bengal heritage there with his markings. I think Bengals and Siamese are both big jumpers too! Seems the short hair breeds are better jumpers than the big breeds. Just throwing it out there.

Alaska is just stunning. You can tell he's a thorough bred. I love white cats and silvers. One of my cats in my earlier cat years was solid white with odd eyes and def. I found him on the side of the road, literally on the white line in busy traffic. He was a great cat also! After he passed I wanted one that looked just like him and I thought he was a MC at the time, that's how I ran across Tama. When I seen the silvers on the breeders page I just fell in love. As it turned out when I called she had one that was going to be ready to pick up that weekend. I think I called on a Tuesday. I picked him up the following weekend on Labor Day. He was a high white so I felt like I was getting the best of both worlds with the white and silver. Manny reminds me of Tama with his colors and markings. He's more of a blue I think than silver with some smoke mixed in. Tama had some smoke mixed in too. When I seen Manny online it was like it was meant to be. They had several other apps in front of me but I think my vet made me out to be a cat whisperer along with my experience with long hairs they decided to go with me. He kept running under the couch when I went to meet him and was not social at all. The thing I did notice is he didn't hiss or try to swat or scratch. No aggression at all. He hid for 4 days after I brought him home. He's made progress in leaps and bounds since then and still continues too. Still to this day he's never hissed or been aggressive at all.

Manny trills, chirps and has like five different meows. He has his demanding meow, his normal meow, his sweet meow, a groggy raspy meow (after he just wakes up) and a silent meow. His mouth moves but nothing comes out but like a gasp. Sometimes he'll meow and it switches mid stream into a trill. He's loaded with personality! How someone could have abused him is beyond me. He's like a perfect gentleman. No behavioral issues at all.

I wish you luck with Alaska. His name fits! I'm wondering if your planning on showing him in CFA or TICA? From what I've been told and read he would probably show better in TICA. He has more of a feral look. I was told that Tama was more of a CFA bred cat. I'm no expert in showing at all though. I have toyed with the idea but just not in the position to do it at the moment. I think Alaska will do well. His muzzle and ear set is phenomenal. There's a few Big Breed lovers that I don't think have commented here. Maybe mightyboosh mightyboosh , @1CatOverTheLine, @abyeb, @stefanz will come by a weigh in. I know they'd love to see this gorgeous guy! You may have to lock Alaska up so they don't try and steal him!

Well I didn't want to make this to long but I could go on all day talking about cats! Definitely let me know how he does showing and keep the pics coming as he grows. Maybe you could start a thread about his journey growing up and showing! Here's a few pics of Tama and Manny. The first 2 are of Tama at around 2 years old. The 2 below those he was some where around 13 or 14.
View attachment 206418 View attachment 206419 View attachment 206420 View attachment 206421
These are of Manny. He turned 2 according to estimated date of birth in Sep. I have some pics of Tama as a kitten and my white cat Sabian I wish I could post but they are 35mm film. Before digital camera's! I'm going to try and scan them or get them transferred to CD hopefully in the near future when time permits!
View attachment 206422 View attachment 206423
View attachment 206424 View attachment 206425
Yup, I'm positive about his parentage. I saw his parents, and both were registered purebreds. They are both beautiful cats too. Hex acts like he has some sort of wild cat in him though. He's very stubborn and has a high prey drive. I just assumed it was from the mixture of Siamese and Maine Coon. I have heard vets say "Oh my, you poor thing" when hearing the breed background. A Siamese attitude with a Maine Coon's stature and prey drive makes for a difficult cat. I love him dearly and he's completely unique, bursting with personality, but most people wouldn't be able to handle him, I think. He can be a bully to cats that run from him, but oddly, he's nurturing and loving toward kittens. He is a complicated guy, my Hex, but also very sharp. He's very intelligent, and loving too. He has this super odd quirk of his tail bristling as if he were frightened when he's getting TLC, and really getting into it. I've only ever seen one other cat do that. I made a thread here about it awhile back and a few other people had seen it. We came to the conclusion that some cats are just really stoked for love. Haha.

Yes, I'd already planned on going TICA, which I've heard appreciates the European Maine Coon better for their exaggerated features and wild splendor. It's so funny, in his baby pictures, Alaska looked so strange with his gigantic chin. He looked almost deformed, but I knew it was actually a good thing, and the beginning of an awesome muzzle. I can't believe that, at third in line, I was able to get the biggest and best looking male of the litter! The others were nothing to sniffle at, don't get me wrong, all of Artcityclaws' kittens are beautiful, as all of their cats are stunning, but they didn't have that outstanding muzzle he has. The Maine Coon muzzle usually doesn't become all that prominent until they're older, from what I've seen in pictures and seeing kittens from the breeder I went to as babies vs the adult pics their adopters send in, so the fact that his muzzle and high cheekbones are so prominent at this age can only mean his face will develop into an awesome demonstration of the European MC breed standard.

Your Tama is gorgeous. With a coat like that, he almost looks more like a Norwegian Forest Cat. I'm no expert, though. Still, that first photo of him in the snow -- he looks like he was made for it, like he belongs there. I can't wait to get some photos of Alaska in the snow. . . if you can see him, lol. A white cat in the snow, like the old joke. Tama certainly retained his regality into his golden years. What a majestic creature, with such a kind face. When I was a kid, I had a female that looked like a miniature version of him. I loved her so much, as you loved your beautiful Tama. I can tell you miss him dearly. I'm so sorry for your loss, but his spirit lives on in the kindness you've poured on Manny. Thank you for saving him. It sounds like you're just the person he needed, as your vet seemed to know already. Your cat whisperer talent and unending kindness will change his life and mend his broken spirit. Manny is so grand! I fail to comprehend how anyone could want to harm such a beautiful and sweet being. It sounds like he is loving, but scared to fully love. With your nurturing touch and a few years' perseverance in reassuring him and teaching him that loving, kind humans do exist and that he needn't be frightened, I expect he will come out of his shell and be the big, sweet teddy bear cat he was meant to be. I, and I'm sure many others on this forum, would love some video of him. Seeing cats, especially the notoriously quirky Maine Coon, in action is fun for anyone. That's how YouTube got big and we all know it. :thumbsup:

I have seen an abused cat freed of his or her trauma many a time. My mother has a cat who was like that. My father was at work at the Honda Plant in Lincoln, Alabama, where there was a thin, blond kitten following people around and crying out for help. My Dad is a very caring man, and has brought home numerous cats, dogs, and even wildlife (They had a raccoon suffering from Distemper for years. Even when she could no longer walk, my parents gave her the best care. They hoped she could recover, but she never did. :( When I was a kid, Dad brought home a "scruffy dog" that had been hit by a car, which was actually a coyote, and he damn well knew it, too! We took him to a nature reserve, where they cared for his broken legs and released him into the wild once more.) So he scooped up the kitten and took him home. I was in college living with my folks at the time. I named him Fonzie, in loving memory of a blond cat he resembled that I lost as a teenager. (I put "resemble" past tense, because that scrawny kitten with a high pitched meow grew up to be about twice the original Fonzie's size, making them look little alike; I'm not sure what breed he has hiding in his genes, but whatever it is, he weighs 19lbs, and is a shorthair!) My parents can't remember the name "Fonzie" (Don't ask me why; I don't know. They never could remember the names I gave to our cats.) so his name is now "Whatchyonameis", or "Whatchyoname" for short.

Poor Whatchyoname was very shy for his first two years of life. He was awkwardly nervous whenever he was being pet, always watching intentionally as if never knowing when the petting might turn into abuse. It was so sad, because he has the same kind face Manny has. He was so sweet, but you could tell there was always fear, and I often wondered what cruelty he'd been through. However, somewhere into his second year of life, we all saw his transformation. That scared kitten was now much more relaxed and the fear had left him. He gluttonously eats up all love and affection, even from my brother's children, who can be rough at times, putting it mildly. He's become such a caring and wonderful soul who brings much joy to my parents. I have no doubt that Manny will have the same metamorphosis, with time and your gentle hand. You're doing a wonderful thing in Tama's memory, and while Manny will never replace Tama, I'm glad that you two can help ease one another's pain. I've heard people say "It's just a (cat/dog), you can get another one", as if they're just interchangeable, but we who take time to get to know and love our pets' unique personalities know that they're just like people; the hole one's departure leaves can never be fully filled by another. We can only move on and let the pain of that hole be dulled with love of and from another, but we never forget those we lose. At least we can use our pain for good, as you have. Thank you again for saving Manny, and going the extra mile to help to close his psychological wounds.

I am a firm believer that when an animal enters one's home, by being brought in or by birth, we are making a promise to that animal to ensure they have the best life we can give them. It's a pact in its own action, as actions are the greatest way we can communicate with our animals. Some people do not honor this pact, and I hope there are consequences for it, somewhere, somehow. But those of us who do honor the pact, as sacred as the one you make when you have a child or take a spouse in my eyes, must often take responsibility for those who don't hold up their side of the bargain. It is those who seek to right the wrongs of others against the most helpless in our societies, our pets, that I most admire. Thank you, and I am certain Manny is grateful too.

I meant to ask if I may. Who was the breeder you got Alaska from? Were they in Michigan?
Yes, they are in Michigan. Artcityclaws is the name of the breeder, located in Grand Rapids. If you go to their Facebook and look for the litter before the single kitten litter they had this time, Alaska was in the previous litter, with the same name. The lady who runs Artcityclaws is a real sweetheart, and awesome about replying quickly to any questions. I'm going to write a review, but I am gonna wait a little so I can get some at least sub-adult photos of Alaska for the review, let people see what their kittens grow up to look like. He's beautiful now, but I just know he will make a jaw-dropping adult.

MistyDawn MistyDawn sabian sabian I think it's clear that Alaska won't just steal a judges' heart but also any one with a pair of working eyes. I think he shows great potential. He's simply a stunning, beautiful creature. Just wait until he's reached his maximum size and glory! I'm afraid he is already on my list and doubtless @1CatOverTheLine 's list as well. You'd better guard him well.
Yes, it appears I have unknowingly walked into a den of unrepentant cat thieves! :wink: I will be getting bars on the windows and Alaska a personal bodyguard ASAP, preferably a former Marine who is a dog person, haha.

I'm excited to share his photos with you all as he grows up. I've been told by a friend of mine who shows Siamese that he looks like he has strong potential to dominate in a show, but she knows pointed breeds better than the big breeds (besides Ragdolls obviously, which are both, and her next dream cat.) so it's good to get some expertise here. Thank you for all of your kind words of encouragement and praise!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use an orange scented cleaner, so that can't be it. Plus, the baby doesn't even have access to the bathroom.

Reason #4737202746382017 I'm getting a security system.

The documentary The Cheshire Murders (Don't watch unless you aren't freaked out easily, aren't disturbed easily, and basically if you feel any empathy for humans whatsoever; I'm a true crime junkie, and this is the only one that has ever gotten to me) was what made me first decide to get ne. I'll probably go with Ring.

I'll show you mine if you show me yours! :p No, I'm kidding. Pics below! First is my baby I was talking about, and yes, getting a mix is what made me want a purebred too. My MC mix, Hex, is half Siamese, half Maine Coon, from a bad breeder who breeds both but was irresponsible and let the wrong two cats spend time together at the wrong time, so they were just handing kittens out to anyone with no vet reference or other requirements, in the south, where a lot of people mistreat, abandon, and abuse animals. I got my boy from her to save him. He had a brother there. I wish I'd have gotten them both in hindsight. I hope Hex's brother is okay. He looked like a pure, dark tabby Maine Coon, pretty much identical to their father. Hex has a lynx point short coat, but kept his lynx tips and size. It was hard choosing and my (now ex) boyfriend would only let me get one of the two remaining boys. I got him to be a playmate for a slightly older and larger kitten, so it came down to asking the breeder which kitten would hold his own the best against a larger kitten, and she emphatically pointed to my Hex, lounging high in the cat tree, and said "Oh! He's what you need! He's the leader of the pack!" I quickly found out why. He's a handful, for sure, but endless fun and extremely loving. I'll show you him too.

Here's my purebred baby, Alaska. I can only get him to hold still enough for a photo when he's asleep due to how energetic he is, but he's a rare blue-eyed Maine Coon. Only white Maine Coons can have blue eyes according to the breed standard. Hoping to steal judges' hearts with them at shows, if he grows up to look as good as he's shaping up to look so far. His color will catch attention and his beautiful high cheekbones, wide muzzle, and big chin are a gorgeous portrayal of the breed standard so far, at least to my semi educated eye. Either way, he's already such a sweet little boy. I was sick for a few days earlier this week and, unlike his usual most-playful-kitten-I've-ever-seen, crazy self, he stuck very close to me, rarely leaving my side. He purrs just from being close to me and is very affectionate, licking being his chosen form of expressing love. The rest of the time, he's darting around the bedroom, picking fights with every toy or other inanimate object in sight with an excited chain of trills.

View attachment 205769 View attachment 205770 View attachment 205771
View attachment 205779

And here's Hex, my 50/50 Maine Coon/Siamese. He's 3 and about 15lbs. His hobbies include chirping, trilling, being in high places, chirping, spending time with his also Siamese mixed girlfriend, Mystic, chirpint, cuddling baby kittens, being on human backs (bending over in my house is always an adventure. He may decide to jump up at any time.), and did I mention chirping? He's a big snuggler and kneader. He announces his presence with a very specific sound: a short trill followed by a loud chirp. He and the female that is always with him, Mystic (cat on the right in the first image), are pretty inseparable, despite both being altered and him being two years her senior. He loves to stand on me and knead while receiving all my pets. He loves the side of his face scratched. He will tilt his head and lower it so far just leaning into the scratch that he nearly falls over! He's a lot of fun, gorgeous, and highly intelligent. I really adore this cat, and he's why I decided I wanted a pure Maine Coon.

There's been some dispute on here whether he is a lynx point or a silver mackerel tabby, but his blue eyes lead me to think lynx point.

View attachment 205773
View attachment 205775
View attachment 205776
View attachment 205777
View attachment 205778

I wish you and poor Manny all the luck in the world. It does sound like he's had a hard life. Thank you for being the change in fortune he needs. He will never be Tama, I know, but I'm glad you were able to open your heart to save a life after Tama crossed the bridge. I would really love to see both kitties. I have no doubt they're beautiful!

Oh, I know. No sound is more beautiful to me than the chain of clicky sounds that is a newborn kitten's purr. I get excited for open eyes with every chance I get to have tiny ones. I love bottlefeeding and all those little milestones. Nothing is more satisfying than hand raising little bitty kittens into bouncy, playful balls of fluff, and then into beautiful and loving adults. They don't color on the walls, scream, need a bedtime, or talk back. I want to be a mother, but I would be much more eager if our babies were more like kittens. I know once I have one, I'll be more endeared. My brother just had awful kids, partially due to his parenting, and it has soured me a tad in regards to humanlings.
Hi MistyDawn MistyDawn -- I just looked at "CHESHIRE MURDERS" and you're right -- very well done and extremely moving documentary. I didn't know anything about this case, which happened shortly after we moved to our present location.
I use an orange scented cleaner, so that can't be it. Plus, the baby doesn't even have access to the bathroom.

Reason #4737202746382017 I'm getting a security system.

The documentary The Cheshire Murders (Don't watch unless you aren't freaked out easily, aren't disturbed easily, and basically if you feel any empathy for humans whatsoever; I'm a true crime junkie, and this is the only one that has ever gotten to me) was what made me first decide to get ne. I'll probably go with Ring.

I'll show you mine if you show me yours! :p No, I'm kidding. Pics below! First is my baby I was talking about, and yes, getting a mix is what made me want a purebred too. My MC mix, Hex, is half Siamese, half Maine Coon, from a bad breeder who breeds both but was irresponsible and let the wrong two cats spend time together at the wrong time, so they were just handing kittens out to anyone with no vet reference or other requirements, in the south, where a lot of people mistreat, abandon, and abuse animals. I got my boy from her to save him. He had a brother there. I wish I'd have gotten them both in hindsight. I hope Hex's brother is okay. He looked like a pure, dark tabby Maine Coon, pretty much identical to their father. Hex has a lynx point short coat, but kept his lynx tips and size. It was hard choosing and my (now ex) boyfriend would only let me get one of the two remaining boys. I got him to be a playmate for a slightly older and larger kitten, so it came down to asking the breeder which kitten would hold his own the best against a larger kitten, and she emphatically pointed to my Hex, lounging high in the cat tree, and said "Oh! He's what you need! He's the leader of the pack!" I quickly found out why. He's a handful, for sure, but endless fun and extremely loving. I'll show you him too.

Here's my purebred baby, Alaska. I can only get him to hold still enough for a photo when he's asleep due to how energetic he is, but he's a rare blue-eyed Maine Coon. Only white Maine Coons can have blue eyes according to the breed standard. Hoping to steal judges' hearts with them at shows, if he grows up to look as good as he's shaping up to look so far. His color will catch attention and his beautiful high cheekbones, wide muzzle, and big chin are a gorgeous portrayal of the breed standard so far, at least to my semi educated eye. Either way, he's already such a sweet little boy. I was sick for a few days earlier this week and, unlike his usual most-playful-kitten-I've-ever-seen, crazy self, he stuck very close to me, rarely leaving my side. He purrs just from being close to me and is very affectionate, licking being his chosen form of expressing love. The rest of the time, he's darting around the bedroom, picking fights with every toy or other inanimate object in sight with an excited chain of trills.

View attachment 205769 View attachment 205770 View attachment 205771
View attachment 205779

And here's Hex, my 50/50 Maine Coon/Siamese. He's 3 and about 15lbs. His hobbies include chirping, trilling, being in high places, chirping, spending time with his also Siamese mixed girlfriend, Mystic, chirpint, cuddling baby kittens, being on human backs (bending over in my house is always an adventure. He may decide to jump up at any time.), and did I mention chirping? He's a big snuggler and kneader. He announces his presence with a very specific sound: a short trill followed by a loud chirp. He and the female that is always with him, Mystic (cat on the right in the first image), are pretty inseparable, despite both being altered and him being two years her senior. He loves to stand on me and knead while receiving all my pets. He loves the side of his face scratched. He will tilt his head and lower it so far just leaning into the scratch that he nearly falls over! He's a lot of fun, gorgeous, and highly intelligent. I really adore this cat, and he's why I decided I wanted a pure Maine Coon.

There's been some dispute on here whether he is a lynx point or a silver mackerel tabby, but his blue eyes lead me to think lynx point.

View attachment 205773
View attachment 205775
View attachment 205776
View attachment 205777
View attachment 205778

I wish you and poor Manny all the luck in the world. It does sound like he's had a hard life. Thank you for being the change in fortune he needs. He will never be Tama, I know, but I'm glad you were able to open your heart to save a life after Tama crossed the bridge. I would really love to see both kitties. I have no doubt they're beautiful!

Oh, I know. No sound is more beautiful to me than the chain of clicky sounds that is a newborn kitten's purr. I get excited for open eyes with every chance I get to have tiny ones. I love bottlefeeding and all those little milestones. Nothing is more satisfying than hand raising little bitty kittens into bouncy, playful balls of fluff, and then into beautiful and loving adults. They don't color on the walls, scream, need a bedtime, or talk back. I want to be a mother, but I would be much more eager if our babies were more like kittens. I know once I have one, I'll be more endeared. My brother just had awful kids, partially due to his parenting, and it has soured me a tad in regards to humanlings.
Hi MistyDawn MistyDawn -- I just looked at "CHESHIRE MURDERS" and you're right -- very well done and extremely moving documentary. I knew nothing about this case, which occurred shortly after we moved to our present location. Yet another illustration of a justice system that is very badly broken. I could say so much more, but it's pretty obvious that it's all been said before by so many of us who are at a loss as to how things got so bad on so many levels.

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been bragging about Alaska's chin but haven't gotten to get a good picture of it. Get a look at this. Surprisingly, as big as it is, he doesn't have an underbite. I'm hoping it's a positive instead of a negative. If mightyboosh mightyboosh or @1CatOverTheLine , the local MC experts as far as I can see, could chime in, I'd be grateful.

IMG_20171129_205952314.jpg

IMG_20171129_205916896.jpg

Hi MistyDawn MistyDawn -- I just looked at "CHESHIRE MURDERS" and you're right -- very well done and extremely moving documentary. I didn't know anything about this case, which happened shortly after we moved to our present location.

Hi MistyDawn MistyDawn -- I just looked at "CHESHIRE MURDERS" and you're right -- very well done and extremely moving documentary. I knew nothing about this case, which occurred shortly after we moved to our present location. Yet another illustration of a justice system that is very badly broken. I could say so much more, but it's pretty obvious that it's all been said before by so many of us who are at a loss as to how things got so bad on so many levels.
Oh yes. It made me paranoid for days (my bedroom was right next to the window). I felt like a drug addict always looking out of my blinds at night, listening for every sound. It's a chilling reminder that no one is safe. That's terrifying. I live in a good neighborhood now full of nice homes. . . but then, so is Cheshire. I'm looking at security systems now. That's the only one that's ever gotten to me. The Jinx is more fun, as it's a "Did he? Didn't he?" sort of deal. . . Until the end. I'll stay mum on that.

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That little big beauty's profile looks fine to me. This is what TICA says about the muzzle

The chin should be strong, firm and in line with the upper lip and nose. When viewed in profile the chin depth should be observable and give the impression of a square, 90-degree angle. A chin lacking in depth, i.e. one that tapers from the jaw line to the lip, is not considered strong, firm or desirable.

Also look at these photos of the standard.

Attachments

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been bragging about Alaska's chin but haven't gotten to get a good picture of it. Get a look at this. Surprisingly, as big as it is, he doesn't have an underbite. I'm hoping it's a positive instead of a negative. If mightyboosh mightyboosh or @1CatOverTheLine , the local MC experts as far as I can see, could chime in, I'd be grateful.

View attachment 207824

View attachment 207828

Oh yes. It made me paranoid for days (my bedroom was right next to the window). I felt like a drug addict always looking out of my blinds at night, listening for every sound. It's a chilling reminder that no one is safe. That's terrifying. I live in a good neighborhood now full of nice homes. . . but then, so is Cheshire. I'm looking at security systems now. That's the only one that's ever gotten to me. The Jinx is more fun, as it's a "Did he? Didn't he?" sort of deal. . . Until the end. I'll stay mum on that.
Alaska's chin is indeed bragworthy! :catlove: As are his floofs!

Did you see that ID did a "PEOPLE MAGAZINE INVESTIGATES" on the Cheshire Murders? It aired here on Dish on Tuesday. Kind of a once-over-lightly, as is anything PEOPLE does, but since it's about the same case, I thought you might be interested if you haven't seen it already and if you haven't, you might be able to catch it on the ID GO app.
I live in a really good neighborhood, too, but I remember my mom telling me that a friend of hers and her husband had a home invasion and were pistol-whipped, years back. They survived, though, thankfully. IDK anything else about it. And there certainly IS crime here. For one thing, this is the former base of operations for the Hillside Stranglers -- an old case, but there's plenty on the internet about it because it's so infamous. We're also close to the site of the Manson mayhem; I'm sure you know all about that. And there are plenty of other less famous crimes, too. But all in all, it's statistically a safe city and a lot of people really want to live here.

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That little big beauty's profile looks fine to me. This is what TICA says about the muzzle

The chin should be strong, firm and in line with the upper lip and nose. When viewed in profile the chin depth should be observable and give the impression of a square, 90-degree angle. A chin lacking in depth, i.e. one that tapers from the jaw line to the lip, is not considered strong, firm or desirable.

Also look at these photos of the standard.
Wow, so his chin is perfect, then. He's a big time licker, but sometimes gets his nose dirty (he crams his whole face in the food and water bowls.) So we play this game where I try to clean his nose and he tries to lick my finger, and with his big chin, it just looks so funny, because his chin is perfectly in line with his muzzle. But that's actually a good quality. Hard to believe I got such a quality kitten; I was third in line! White kittens are this cattery's specialty and so, for buyers of the cattery, kind of boring because, with this male, most kittens are white. So people rush to get the 1-2 non white kittens, ignoring quality of said kitten. I was looking for striking features, so I chose Alaska.

There's just one problem. He has the splotch of color on his head that many white kittens have. I know in the vast majority of cases, that goes away. Here's hoping he's not the odd one out. Having that with blue eyes would disqualify him. I initially got him as a pet anyway, just a really cool one, but I just think it'd be a shame for features like his not to be displayed in a show setting.

Alaska's chin is indeed bragworthy! :catlove: As are his floofs!

Did you see that ID did a "PEOPLE MAGAZINE INVESTIGATES" on the Cheshire Murders? It aired here on Dish on Tuesday. Kind of a once-over-lightly, as is anything PEOPLE does, but since it's about the same case, I thought you might be interested if you haven't seen it already and if you haven't, you might be able to catch it on the ID GO app.
I live in a really good neighborhood, too, but I remember my mom telling me that a friend of hers and her husband had a home invasion and were pistol-whipped, years back. They survived, though, thankfully. IDK anything else about it. And there certainly IS crime here. For one thing, this is the former base of operations for the Hillside Stranglers -- an old case, but there's plenty on the internet about it because it's so infamous. We're also close to the site of the Manson mayhem; I'm sure you know all about that. And there are plenty of other less famous crimes, too. But all in all, it's statistically a safe city and a lot of people really want to live here.
I love the little guy to death. He's got an awesome personality to match, and is very friendly and intelligent. I brought him to Thanksgiving dinner to meet my in-laws and my mother-in-law's sister held him the entire time. He was perfectly content just being held that whole time. He's a very friendly and good boy, and hilarious in his playful moods.

I'll have to take a look at that. I'm sort of grimly obsessed with the case because it's the one that bothered me. Usually I can listen to any tragedy without a blink -- not because I don't care, but because I've seen some dark places in person; I know the side of the world no one wants to talk about. -- but this one disturbed me. The effect on the perpetrators is interesting too. I'll stay quiet on what the state of CT did after, as not to turn this into a controversy, but these men deserve the worst that can be done to them.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, so his chin is perfect, then. He's a big time licker, but sometimes gets his nose dirty (he crams his whole face in the food and water bowls.) So we play this game where I try to clean his nose and he tries to lick my finger, and with his big chin, it just looks so funny, because his chin is perfectly in line with his muzzle. But that's actually a good quality. Hard to believe I got such a quality kitten; I was third in line! White kittens are this cattery's specialty and so, for buyers of the cattery, kind of boring because, with this male, most kittens are white. So people rush to get the 1-2 non white kittens, ignoring quality of said kitten. I was looking for striking features, so I chose Alaska.

There's just one problem. He has the splotch of color on his head that many white kittens have. I know in the vast majority of cases, that goes away. Here's hoping he's not the odd one out. Having that with blue eyes would disqualify him. I initially got him as a pet anyway, just a really cool one, but I just think it'd be a shame for features like his not to be displayed in a show setting.

I love the little guy to death. He's got an awesome personality to match, and is very friendly and intelligent. I brought him to Thanksgiving dinner to meet my in-laws and my mother-in-law's sister held him the entire time. He was perfectly content just being held that whole time. He's a very friendly and good boy, and hilarious in his playful moods.

I'll have to take a look at that. I'm sort of grimly obsessed with the case because it's the one that bothered me. Usually I can listen to any tragedy without a blink -- not because I don't care, but because I've seen some dark places in person; I know the side of the world no one wants to talk about. -- but this one disturbed me. The effect on the perpetrators is interesting too. I'll stay quiet on what the state of CT did after, as not to turn this into a controversy, but these men deserve the worst that can be done to them.
Well, I hear you, but just to add my bit, to me, every cat and kitten is QUALITY, without exception. Because, you know, CATS. :catlove:

And I hear you on the true crime stuff, too -- I've also seen a lot of darkness. It all bothers me, and sometimes I have to step back from being so glued to the ID channel and stuff, because it can be pretty overwhelming at times. There are shows I just won't watch because I know they'd upset me too much. I'm more than aware of man's inhumanity to man, woman, child, and every other living being -- and it can be too much. What I do like about these shows is the justice, if it comes, not because I am a vengeful person, but because justice IS due those who commit injustice, most especially on those who are the most innnocent, blameless and vulnerable. The justice system is so badly broken, too -- and it can be very daunting. Because I am a person of faith, though, I know there will be justice, in due time.