The Weirdest Question You'll Read All Day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cats all have different smells, several of my cats smell very good and sweet, you may be associating that with the laundry smell. There are several specific breeds associated with different smells, must be the smell from there scent glands, the most common is the strong, slightly musky odor common with the oriental breeds. EVERY Siamese, or Burmese, and including the flame point Siamese mix I have right now has had this odor, and it is how I identify the oriental breed in them, They often, but not always have the beautiful blue eyes too, although I have several ferals who are diluted down to turquoise, which is how I identify their lineage too. It's not really offensive,although not pleasant either, you are lucky you have some breed mixed in that smells so good!
I suspect that my flamepoint is part Ragdoll. He's quite large for being less than a year old, and has a mostly medium-long coat and a gigantic "feather duster" tail. It's really quite majestic. His eyes are very blue, as can be seen in my avatar. That's him. :)

I have the same issue.:lol: My Speedy is a shorthair tortie point Siamese and since the day she came to live with me I am always thinking how wonderful she smells.:daisy: Like so fresh, I can't explain it. :purplebutterfly: Not perfumy, but just really fresh and clean.:bluebutterfly: She smells so good that, ok, I will now admit that I love to hug her and take a deep breath of her fur, it is so fresh.:) It is definitely her, not my clothes or bedding because she smells better than them! :lol: Thanks for asking this question. She is the first cat I've had that smells this good!:catlove:
I've wondered if part of it has to do with the cleanliness and constant grooming of cats?

It's funny I seen this post. My Maine Coon that past recently always smelled like my sheets I guess because he was always sleeping in the bed. Manny, the cat I recently adopted has a different smell but it's a fresh clean smell. I can't figure out where it comes from. He doesn't sleep in the bed like my last cat. It may come from the new cat trees and a his natural scent combined, I don't know. I was just telling him when I came in from work how good he smelled. I don't know that health has anything to do with it. My Maine Coon didn't smell any different a week before he passed than any other previous time and I'm sure he had cancer for a while as bad as it was.
I just wanted to say, I'm really sorry for your loss. Mine is just a baby and I'm already thinking trying to get him cloned or something when his time for the Bridge comes. They're wonderful. I've been sick lately and he's hardly left my side, despite being the most playful kitten I have ever seen. What wonderful, loyal cats!

How about trash bags?

Some brands of trash bags have a fragrance applied in order to counteract the smell of garbage.

If your cats are known to be dumpster divers, they might be picking up some of the scent from the garbage can.

The reason I think of this is because I just took out the garbage about ten minutes ago. I was sitting in front of the computer, reading your message, and I smelled something on my hands. It took me a moment to realize that some of the fragrance from the trash bags had rubbed off onto my hands.
All trash cans have lids, or else we'd have kitties diving into them for that last drop of gravy on the canned cat food can. Haha. They have figured out how to open the drawer with our scented trash bags, but the MC baby is under 21 day quarantine, as per contract, so he can't get out to where the drawer is.

The first thing I thought of was litter. :)

You really should give this thread a read:

Confessions of an American Cat Huffer

:lol:
Oh my gosh, that's hilarious. I love how every forum (I'm a forum veteran, having been on medical forums, writing forums, and several music forums) has its epic threads. Maybe I'll make a thread asking what your most memorable threads are when I've been around and posted a little longer so you guys know me a bit better.

I am no fan of dogs and I agree 100%. CATS are the world's most beloved companions; there are over 10 MILLION more in US homes than the next most popular (dogs). I have had to care for 2 dogs in my life, so it's not like I don't know them, but I do not like them and I can't think of one single good thing about them. Anyway.
If I'm in a debate with my husband's dog fanatic best friend, who insists cats are awful, I know who to call in now.

My stance on dogs is much like my stance toward children. If you pour tons of time into socializing them, teaching them right from wrong, teaching them to live in a domesticated setting (housebreaking/potty training, no destructive behavior, etc.), and teaching them to be quiet and friendly, they're great. However, an unsocialized dog is a nightmare. I always say "When a cat doesn't like your company, the cat hides under the couch. When the dog doesn't like your company, it could end up an ER visit, with the wrong dog."

Also, you can have cats in significant numbers with little more than a few hiss-offs. Dogs in numbers can be dangerous both to people and to one another, if there's a dog they all decide to bully.

All of the cats I have ever known, and there have been many, smell like flowers to me. Especially right behind their ears.
I've noticed the smell is the strongest there too! It's strong down the back, but right behind the ears is the sweet spot. So odd. Maybe it has to do with the facial scent glands?

Life isn't fair. Cat B.O. smells like flowers. Human B.O. smells like a rotting cheeseburger. Also, cat babies are adorable and make cute sounds. Our babies are bald blobs and screech. (No offense to parents; I've just had to deal with my brother's awful children, and they were awful babies too, enough to sour my view on children. I still want my own one day, but I will be a much different parent from my brother and Lucife--I mean his wife.)

I think your kitten just smells really good, and your sense of smell associates it with your laundry. Have someone else smell him maybe
I have. My husband comments on both cats' scents too. They're two of three long-hairs in the house, so I think maybe their coats collect the good smells more. That is purely a guess, though.

Exactly, great minds. But the problem of someone else smelling the cat is then you have to worry that they think the cat smells so great they are going to kidnap the cat.
I just have to wait until both are grown. With one being around 12lbs at six months and the other being 4.75lbs at 11 weeks, they're both going to be hard to kidnap as 15-22lb grown-ups.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I find that whatever I use to clean the floors in the bathroom gets on my cat when he sits behind the toilet. Maybe you have a scented cleaner that is rubbing off on your cat.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
I just have to wait until both are grown. With one being around 12lbs at six months and the other being 4.75lbs at 11 weeks, they're both going to be hard to kidnap as 15-22lb grown-ups.
One of those oversize purses that are popular right now and heavy doses of catnip or similar substance that will make a cat stoned out of his mind will be more than enough to smuggle a big cat out of the house.

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you MistyDawn MistyDawn ! Tama passed away back in Feb. I still really miss him a lot. He was like the perfect cat. I've had some good cats over the years but he was the best and no other cat I'll ever had will top him. They may equal him but never top. He was just loyal, loving and a big goof. I don't know if you've ever had a Maine Coon before but they'll steal your heart for sure.

I have what I think to be a Siberian that I adopted from a rescue and he's a great guy! He had some trust issue and a little on the shy side. I think he was abused at some point and abandoned. He's made a lot of progress and breaks out of his shell a little everyday. I plan on getting a full blooded Maine Coon sometime soon. I have to have another one but I wanted to get a rescue too. I have some goals for Manny "the rescue" as far as training and then I'm gonna get him a little Maine Coon buddy. I want to give Manny time to be sure he's settled in but I can't wait! Post some pics of your Maine Coon. I'd love to see them!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I suspect that my flamepoint is part Ragdoll. He's quite large for being less than a year old, and has a mostly medium-long coat and a gigantic "feather duster" tail. It's really quite majestic. His eyes are very blue, as can be seen in my avatar. That's him. :)

I've wondered if part of it has to do with the cleanliness and constant grooming of cats?

I just wanted to say, I'm really sorry for your loss. Mine is just a baby and I'm already thinking trying to get him cloned or something when his time for the Bridge comes. They're wonderful. I've been sick lately and he's hardly left my side, despite being the most playful kitten I have ever seen. What wonderful, loyal cats!

All trash cans have lids, or else we'd have kitties diving into them for that last drop of gravy on the canned cat food can. Haha. They have figured out how to open the drawer with our scented trash bags, but the MC baby is under 21 day quarantine, as per contract, so he can't get out to where the drawer is.

Oh my gosh, that's hilarious. I love how every forum (I'm a forum veteran, having been on medical forums, writing forums, and several music forums) has its epic threads. Maybe I'll make a thread asking what your most memorable threads are when I've been around and posted a little longer so you guys know me a bit better.

If I'm in a debate with my husband's dog fanatic best friend, who insists cats are awful, I know who to call in now.

My stance on dogs is much like my stance toward children. If you pour tons of time into socializing them, teaching them right from wrong, teaching them to live in a domesticated setting (housebreaking/potty training, no destructive behavior, etc.), and teaching them to be quiet and friendly, they're great. However, an unsocialized dog is a nightmare. I always say "When a cat doesn't like your company, the cat hides under the couch. When the dog doesn't like your company, it could end up an ER visit, with the wrong dog."

Also, you can have cats in significant numbers with little more than a few hiss-offs. Dogs in numbers can be dangerous both to people and to one another, if there's a dog they all decide to bully.

I've noticed the smell is the strongest there too! It's strong down the back, but right behind the ears is the sweet spot. So odd. Maybe it has to do with the facial scent glands?

Life isn't fair. Cat B.O. smells like flowers. Human B.O. smells like a rotting cheeseburger. Also, cat babies are adorable and make cute sounds. Our babies are bald blobs and screech. (No offense to parents; I've just had to deal with my brother's awful children, and they were awful babies too, enough to sour my view on children. I still want my own one day, but I will be a much different parent from my brother and Lucife--I mean his wife.)

I have. My husband comments on both cats' scents too. They're two of three long-hairs in the house, so I think maybe their coats collect the good smells more. That is purely a guess, though.

Agree 100% about babies -- baby CATS are absolutely magical, but baby humans? *meh* and dogs? *meh*

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Isn't it obvious? He has a secret "man cave" where he sprays on kitty cologne - "fresh laundry" is his signature scent - and grooms himself to perfection. All to impress the ladies, you know. He sneaks off to it whenever you're not looking.
I agree that cats smell better than dogs. I don't dislike dogs. but I hate their smell. I've always had an oversensitive nose anyway and I've never been around a dog that didn't have that "dog smell." Even freshly bathed and groomed dogs, I can always detect their natural smell under the bath smell and I don't find it pleasant. On the other hand, I've never been around a cat who didn't smell nice. It might be one of those personal preference things. John wants to get a dog eventually - when we have a bigger place and a yard where it can run. I'm not totally averse to this idea but he'll be in charge of picking up the poop (litter boxes are much more pleasant to clean) and bathing the dog regularly so the smell isn't overpowering. I like dogs just fine - I just hate their smell.

Last edited:

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I find that whatever I use to clean the floors in the bathroom gets on my cat when he sits behind the toilet. Maybe you have a scented cleaner that is rubbing off on your cat.
I use an orange scented cleaner, so that can't be it. Plus, the baby doesn't even have access to the bathroom.

One of those oversize purses that are popular right now and heavy doses of catnip or similar substance that will make a cat stoned out of his mind will be more than enough to smuggle a big cat out of the house.
Reason #4737202746382017 I'm getting a security system.

The documentary The Cheshire Murders (Don't watch unless you aren't freaked out easily, aren't disturbed easily, and basically if you feel any empathy for humans whatsoever; I'm a true crime junkie, and this is the only one that has ever gotten to me) was what made me first decide to get ne. I'll probably go with Ring.

Thank you MistyDawn MistyDawn ! Tama passed away back in Feb. I still really miss him a lot. He was like the perfect cat. I've had some good cats over the years but he was the best and no other cat I'll ever had will top him. They may equal him but never top. He was just loyal, loving and a big goof. I don't know if you've ever had a Maine Coon before but they'll steal your heart for sure.

I have what I think to be a Siberian that I adopted from a rescue and he's a great guy! He had some trust issue and a little on the shy side. I think he was abused at some point and abandoned. He's made a lot of progress and breaks out of his shell a little everyday. I plan on getting a full blooded Maine Coon sometime soon. I have to have another one but I wanted to get a rescue too. I have some goals for Manny "the rescue" as far as training and then I'm gonna get him a little Maine Coon buddy. I want to give Manny time to be sure he's settled in but I can't wait! Post some pics of your Maine Coon. I'd love to see them!
I'll show you mine if you show me yours! :p No, I'm kidding. Pics below! First is my baby I was talking about, and yes, getting a mix is what made me want a purebred too. My MC mix, Hex, is half Siamese, half Maine Coon, from a bad breeder who breeds both but was irresponsible and let the wrong two cats spend time together at the wrong time, so they were just handing kittens out to anyone with no vet reference or other requirements, in the south, where a lot of people mistreat, abandon, and abuse animals. I got my boy from her to save him. He had a brother there. I wish I'd have gotten them both in hindsight. I hope Hex's brother is okay. He looked like a pure, dark tabby Maine Coon, pretty much identical to their father. Hex has a lynx point short coat, but kept his lynx tips and size. It was hard choosing and my (now ex) boyfriend would only let me get one of the two remaining boys. I got him to be a playmate for a slightly older and larger kitten, so it came down to asking the breeder which kitten would hold his own the best against a larger kitten, and she emphatically pointed to my Hex, lounging high in the cat tree, and said "Oh! He's what you need! He's the leader of the pack!" I quickly found out why. He's a handful, for sure, but endless fun and extremely loving. I'll show you him too.

Here's my purebred baby, Alaska. I can only get him to hold still enough for a photo when he's asleep due to how energetic he is, but he's a rare blue-eyed Maine Coon. Only white Maine Coons can have blue eyes according to the breed standard. Hoping to steal judges' hearts with them at shows, if he grows up to look as good as he's shaping up to look so far. His color will catch attention and his beautiful high cheekbones, wide muzzle, and big chin are a gorgeous portrayal of the breed standard so far, at least to my semi educated eye. Either way, he's already such a sweet little boy. I was sick for a few days earlier this week and, unlike his usual most-playful-kitten-I've-ever-seen, crazy self, he stuck very close to me, rarely leaving my side. He purrs just from being close to me and is very affectionate, licking being his chosen form of expressing love. The rest of the time, he's darting around the bedroom, picking fights with every toy or other inanimate object in sight with an excited chain of trills.

IMG_20171029_214748854_20171030191911247.jpg
FB_IMG_1509324153285.jpg
received_10155655710786063.jpg

IMG_20171106_021837723.jpg

And here's Hex, my 50/50 Maine Coon/Siamese. He's 3 and about 15lbs. His hobbies include chirping, trilling, being in high places, chirping, spending time with his also Siamese mixed girlfriend, Mystic, chirpint, cuddling baby kittens, being on human backs (bending over in my house is always an adventure. He may decide to jump up at any time.), and did I mention chirping? He's a big snuggler and kneader. He announces his presence with a very specific sound: a short trill followed by a loud chirp. He and the female that is always with him, Mystic (cat on the right in the first image), are pretty inseparable, despite both being altered and him being two years her senior. He loves to stand on me and knead while receiving all my pets. He loves the side of his face scratched. He will tilt his head and lower it so far just leaning into the scratch that he nearly falls over! He's a lot of fun, gorgeous, and highly intelligent. I really adore this cat, and he's why I decided I wanted a pure Maine Coon.

There's been some dispute on here whether he is a lynx point or a silver mackerel tabby, but his blue eyes lead me to think lynx point.

IMG_20171013_174303626.jpg

IMG_20170220_231120_430.jpg

IMG_20170406_211849_650.jpg

IMG_20170406_200355_520.jpg

IMG_20170221_224531_010.jpg

I wish you and poor Manny all the luck in the world. It does sound like he's had a hard life. Thank you for being the change in fortune he needs. He will never be Tama, I know, but I'm glad you were able to open your heart to save a life after Tama crossed the bridge. I would really love to see both kitties. I have no doubt they're beautiful!

Agree 100% about babies -- baby CATS are absolutely magical, but baby humans? *meh* and dogs? *meh*
Oh, I know. No sound is more beautiful to me than the chain of clicky sounds that is a newborn kitten's purr. I get excited for open eyes with every chance I get to have tiny ones. I love bottlefeeding and all those little milestones. Nothing is more satisfying than hand raising little bitty kittens into bouncy, playful balls of fluff, and then into beautiful and loving adults. They don't color on the walls, scream, need a bedtime, or talk back. I want to be a mother, but I would be much more eager if our babies were more like kittens. I know once I have one, I'll be more endeared. My brother just had awful kids, partially due to his parenting, and it has soured me a tad in regards to humanlings.

Last edited:

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love babies of all types. I adore my step-daughter. My husband raised her well - she's a good kid most of the time. She is getting into that mouthy stage, though. She's 4 going on 14, I think. A few months ago, I was making dinner and she comes up to me and says, "You can give me a little bit and when I say I ate enough, you can give me a treat." Sorry little princess, it doesn't work that way. LOL. We have a little boy due in about 9 weeks and I can't wait. But he won't be given the kind of free reign I see a lot of parents giving their kids. My best friend has a son who is a holy terror. He's also adhd and possibly has odd and he's a pain in the rear. And my nephews and nieces can get on my nerves. But I think parents are always more enamored of their own children than anyone else's. Plus, Kirby (the friend with the mini demon) spoiled him really bad because his father is a piece of garbage and she felt guilty that his dad wasn't around and spoiled him to make up for it. And now she's paying the price.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to the auspicious ranks of the Cat Huffer, mistydawn! Your certificate is in the mail.

My male gray tabby, Atticus, the inspiration behind the Cat Huffer thread, doesn't quite smell like laundry but something almost equally as good. To me he always smells like springtime--sorta like sunshine, freshly turned earth and vegetables growing in a garden. However, a good friend of mine still claims that he smells just like a newborn baby, especially right behind his ears.

My advice is to stop and smell the cats! In other words, quit worrying about where the odor comes from and just enjoy it. And be sure to keep an eye on your friends. If they're anything like mine they're not above shoving your aromatic cat in their purse and running for the hills!

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my best friends has said, "If your fluffy cat goes missing, I promise I didn't take him but don't search my house." LOL. Gotta keep an eye on that one. She's after my Mickey kitty!

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Welcome to the auspicious ranks of the Cat Huffer, mistydawn! Your certificate is in the mail.

My male gray tabby, Atticus, the inspiration behind the Cat Huffer thread, doesn't quite smell like laundry but something almost equally as good. To me he always smells like springtime--sorta like sunshine, freshly turned earth and vegetables growing in a garden. However, a good friend of mine still claims that he smells just like a newborn baby, especially right behind his ears.

My advice is to stop and smell the cats! In other words, quit worrying about where the odor comes from and just enjoy it. And be sure to keep an eye on your friends. If they're anything like mine they're not above shoving your aromatic cat in their purse and running for the hills!
My thread has been visited by the legendary original Cat Huffer! I'm honored, and thank you for starting this wonderful community for people who appreciate the smell of a healthy cat. I thought I'd get a lot of "What is wrong with you?" sort of replies but I feel more accepted in this thread talking about how good my kitties smell than I did in all four years of high school! :lol: And it's all thanks to you and your awesome thread. I would just like to thank you for accepting me among your ranks.

Glad I'm not the only one, and you're right, I should just enjoy it. My cats are not only pleasing to the eye but to the nose, too! Man, cat allergic people don't know what they're missing. That's like being allergic to chocolate or cake.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Blasphemy! Don't even talk like that! That would be the worst kind of horror movie - allergic to cats! And chocolate! I shudder at the thought!

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Brilliant ! I always wondered why my never been bathed grace smelt so good . When we first picked her up the first thing my very OCD partner said to the young girl who handed her over was: ‘she smells lovely ‘. She just looked at him like he was a weirdo . I always assumed she had some hidden soap in her paws when she cleans herself !!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use an orange scented cleaner, so that can't be it. Plus, the baby doesn't even have access to the bathroom.

Reason #4737202746382017 I'm getting a security system.

The documentary The Cheshire Murders (Don't watch unless you aren't freaked out easily, aren't disturbed easily, and basically if you feel any empathy for humans whatsoever; I'm a true crime junkie, and this is the only one that has ever gotten to me) was what made me first decide to get ne. I'll probably go with Ring.

I'll show you mine if you show me yours! :p No, I'm kidding. Pics below! First is my baby I was talking about, and yes, getting a mix is what made me want a purebred too. My MC mix, Hex, is half Siamese, half Maine Coon, from a bad breeder who breeds both but was irresponsible and let the wrong two cats spend time together at the wrong time, so they were just handing kittens out to anyone with no vet reference or other requirements, in the south, where a lot of people mistreat, abandon, and abuse animals. I got my boy from her to save him. He had a brother there. I wish I'd have gotten them both in hindsight. I hope Hex's brother is okay. He looked like a pure, dark tabby Maine Coon, pretty much identical to their father. Hex has a lynx point short coat, but kept his lynx tips and size. It was hard choosing and my (now ex) boyfriend would only let me get one of the two remaining boys. I got him to be a playmate for a slightly older and larger kitten, so it came down to asking the breeder which kitten would hold his own the best against a larger kitten, and she emphatically pointed to my Hex, lounging high in the cat tree, and said "Oh! He's what you need! He's the leader of the pack!" I quickly found out why. He's a handful, for sure, but endless fun and extremely loving. I'll show you him too.

Here's my purebred baby, Alaska. I can only get him to hold still enough for a photo when he's asleep due to how energetic he is, but he's a rare blue-eyed Maine Coon. Only white Maine Coons can have blue eyes according to the breed standard. Hoping to steal judges' hearts with them at shows, if he grows up to look as good as he's shaping up to look so far. His color will catch attention and his beautiful high cheekbones, wide muzzle, and big chin are a gorgeous portrayal of the breed standard so far, at least to my semi educated eye. Either way, he's already such a sweet little boy. I was sick for a few days earlier this week and, unlike his usual most-playful-kitten-I've-ever-seen, crazy self, he stuck very close to me, rarely leaving my side. He purrs just from being close to me and is very affectionate, licking being his chosen form of expressing love. The rest of the time, he's darting around the bedroom, picking fights with every toy or other inanimate object in sight with an excited chain of trills.

View attachment 205769 View attachment 205770 View attachment 205771
View attachment 205779

And here's Hex, my 50/50 Maine Coon/Siamese. He's 3 and about 15lbs. His hobbies include chirping, trilling, being in high places, chirping, spending time with his also Siamese mixed girlfriend, Mystic, chirpint, cuddling baby kittens, being on human backs (bending over in my house is always an adventure. He may decide to jump up at any time.), and did I mention chirping? He's a big snuggler and kneader. He announces his presence with a very specific sound: a short trill followed by a loud chirp. He and the female that is always with him, Mystic (cat on the right in the first image), are pretty inseparable, despite both being altered and him being two years her senior. He loves to stand on me and knead while receiving all my pets. He loves the side of his face scratched. He will tilt his head and lower it so far just leaning into the scratch that he nearly falls over! He's a lot of fun, gorgeous, and highly intelligent. I really adore this cat, and he's why I decided I wanted a pure Maine Coon.

There's been some dispute on here whether he is a lynx point or a silver mackerel tabby, but his blue eyes lead me to think lynx point.

View attachment 205773
View attachment 205775
View attachment 205776
View attachment 205777
View attachment 205778

I wish you and poor Manny all the luck in the world. It does sound like he's had a hard life. Thank you for being the change in fortune he needs. He will never be Tama, I know, but I'm glad you were able to open your heart to save a life after Tama crossed the bridge. I would really love to see both kitties. I have no doubt they're beautiful!

Oh, I know. No sound is more beautiful to me than the chain of clicky sounds that is a newborn kitten's purr. I get excited for open eyes with every chance I get to have tiny ones. I love bottlefeeding and all those little milestones. Nothing is more satisfying than hand raising little bitty kittens into bouncy, playful balls of fluff, and then into beautiful and loving adults. They don't color on the walls, scream, need a bedtime, or talk back. I want to be a mother, but I would be much more eager if our babies were more like kittens. I know once I have one, I'll be more endeared. My brother just had awful kids, partially due to his parenting, and it has soured me a tad in regards to humanlings.
*Agree with everything you wrote* and what gorgeous CATS! Yes, I would definitely think Lynx Point. And I'm a big true crime fan, too. ID is one of my favorite channels on satellite and I also like all the channels that air these true crime shows. Some of them are too much for me (anything where a perp is abusive to cats gets changed quickly) but other than those, I'm really into them. I haven't seen "THE CHESHIRE MURDERS" but will have to check it out. I also read a lot of murder mysteries.