The Weight Loss Support Group - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How many ounces of water do you guys drink a day? I was drinking 64oz.
I'm trying 48oz this week to see if it makes a difference.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
None. Maybe one glass if that. I drink plain iced tea at night, maybe 1 large glass.
I hate water. I don't think it makes a difference for me at all.
Our food has water in it. And other things count towards your liquid needs like soup.
Water will help make you feel fuller and if you exercise heavily then yes, you need more than the average person, but I'm not so sure there's conclusive scientific evidence it actually has an effect on weight loss itself.
And one can drink too much water. If you urine is clear, that's a sign that you've gone overboard and potentially are losing electrolites and can throw your blood sodium levels out of whack. Very dangerous!

Festus Haggen

Puuurrr Love
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone. I just wanted to say that yous inspire me. I also wanted to share 2 things I learned. Yous already know to eat slowly but just to shut my girlfriend up I chewed each bite excessively (to my way of thinking at the time). It was then that I became aware of how much the size of the food in my mouth increased. It was like water to a dried out sponge. Trying to stay encouraged and believe in myself was very hard especially when I wasn't seeing progress. Regardless of all the scientific reasons and the blah, blah, blahs this is no easy endeavor whether its 3 or 300. Anyways I learned this from a TV show with Scott Bakula, Ray Ramano and 2 other guys. When you get up you'll weigh in twice. First scaling can be before or after breakfast the second and log in weight is after your morning constitutional. When it felt like I was holding onto sand as I hung from a cliff and believing in me was impossible this always provided. Not trying to be gross with any of this but it is what it is. Remember it's all how you spin it: 32 °F freezing or crisp and refreshing?

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
I drink about 10 oz a day, sometimes less.
Even living in the desert, I don't drink a much more than that.
If it's a really hot day, or I've been more active, I might drink a bit more.
It's very rare that I actually empty out my 16 oz CamelBak water bottle.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This thread is really similar to the Exercise Motivation thread. Sometimes I forget which one I'm posting on. :think:

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
This thread is really similar to the Exercise Motivation thread. Sometimes I forget which one I'm posting on. :think:
lol
true
best way to lose weight is to monitor food/portions and exercise.
I gained weight over the summer because I slacked off on both counts.

Yesterday I did a "FVP" day. Fruits, Vegetables, Protein; where the protein is plant or light dairy based.
The idea is to do 4-5 small 4 oz meals about 3 hrs apart. The mid day meal can be a large salad.
It's not as easy as it sounds. By the end of the day, you are in a pretty big calorie deficit. So the last meal should be filling protein (I went with black beans & salsa). I also have to be careful about overeating today, as the body will try to make up for yesterday's deficit.

I talked to my trainer about the water question. He says it really depends on how active you are, and what you're eating, if you are losing a lot of water with sweat or retaining because of salt. He says he's got a client who drinks 2 gallons a day. :eek2:
He says he drinks about a gallon, himself.
I can't fathom it.
I can barely get 16 ounces in.
(and correction; my camelbak water bottle is 24 oz)

However, he did agree that lowering salt in the diet, and balancing your water intake accordingly, will help with weight loss.
He also mentioned that he read an article that studied the effect of eating liquidy foods, like soup, on weight loss. According to the article, he says, it's actually better to eat soups than to eat food + water. Something about how food immersed/cooked in water/broth changes it's molecular profile and makes the body work on it differently. I wish he'd sent me the article, but it was just one of our casual end of workout convos.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I weighed myself this morning. I weighed 140.8 in one room, 140.6 in another room, and 140.2 in another room.
I'm not sure what this means, the floor is uneven? :lol:
Anyway, somewhere between 140 and 141, so down about a pound or so.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Today (Monday) is my weigh-in morning. I lost an even 5 pounds in the past week. I'll take it.
How?
That's a LOT to lose in one week. Were you actually eating? I ask because there's 3500 calories in a pound so you'd have to have cut back 24,500 calories over the course of the week to lose that much. I mean, that's a huge amount of food to stop eating. The only way I can see that happening is if someone is over-exercising? I'm honestly curious about how you managed that.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
I can say that when I was heavier, I lost more weight each week than when I was lighter.

When I was at 180, I could easily lose 1.5 lb
When I was at 145, it was a struggle to lose .5 lb

It has to do with the fact that as your body approaches a leaner frame, there is just that much less to lose! lol
Plus, there is the question of the type of weight you are losing; water or fat? water doesn't really take a lot of calories to lose, fat on the other hand... oy that stuff is tough!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can say that when I was heavier, I lost more weight each week than when I was lighter.

When I was at 180, I could easily lose 1.5 lb
When I was at 145, it was a struggle to lose .5 lb

It has to do with the fact that as your body approaches a leaner frame, there is just that much less to lose! lol
Plus, there is the question of the type of weight you are losing; water or fat? water doesn't really take a lot of calories to lose, fat on the other hand... oy that stuff is tough!
Yes, me too. Now that I'm closer to the weight I've been most of my adult life it's coming off slower. Plus, I don't exercise. Other than my usual walking routine which isn't a consistent kind of thing. And I can't go lower in calories at this point as it just wouldn't be very healthy to do so. I'm small and inactive so I can mange as low as 1100 (per doctor and nutritionist) and I don't feel like I'm compromised on that at all because I know how to eat well on that amount but I prefer eating around 1250ish - it's way more satisfying over the course of the day.

So slower it is now. Which is fine. I'm in no race with anyone not even myself. My only goal is continue losing and not go back up ever again.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was losing weight fast when I first came home from the hospital. But now it has slowed down to 1 pound a week. I don't count calories. I just eat 2 platefuls of food per day, one at lunch, one at dinner. And I take my 2 hour walk.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't lose any weight this week. Still at 141 pounds. So I'm going to up my water intake back up to 4 of the 16oz bottles per day. I lowered it to 3 bottles this week, but I felt a little dehydrated and itchy. I also ate a ton of soy this week. That might have contributed, but some weeks I just don't lose any weight, which is okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.