The tiny cat with the big heart

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The past several months have not been the easiest in the Polus/Yunker household, losing both Bruce's mother Eloise and our almost-20-year-old cat, Phoebe within the same week in April. And Monday we rather unexpectedly lost our nearly 19-year-old cat, Ally. A tiny little thing, she was always what Bruce called "our no problem kitty"...such a sweet, quiet girl (only grumbling if you made the unfortunate decision to pet along her back - than you got a sharp kitty rebuke) that rarely "demanded" the attention a few of our other guys do.

She always sat somewhere near, usually in "meatloaf position"...often positioned right in the way of the television (basically her only fault, one I'd gladly deal with again). And she never stopped exploring, finding her way into unreachable depths of the attic for at least one scary hot summer evening, the basement drop ceiling, and leading us on more than one chase though the neighborhood after one of her many times outsmarting us and opening the screen door on her own. She did start slowing down this past month. First went the sight...not gone but diminished....she often missed the bed a bit when she went to jump up, shocking for both of us coming from the sure-footed friend who years ago could rocket to the top of the highest bookshelf in one leap. Next came the hearing, making her first slower to answer (she always answered her name or any variation)....but eventually we were able to vacuum right up to the sleeping ball of kitten. We knew she was winding down.

The only positive about this weekend was that she went quickly, despite being diagnosed with kidney failure over a year ago. She started sleeping in odd positions, including the bathtub, and Sunday, she stopped eating. Monday morning, after attempting to syringe feed her a bit, she looked at both of us and gave us a quiet little meow that we both agreed, was her way of saying "enough."

Despite her tiny size...our little Ally be missed enormously. Losing our second kitty in 4 months has left an enormous hole in our hearts.

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you can take some consolation in knowing your  sweet furbabies lived a happy life for so many years, it shows what wonderful caregivers you were. We get so used to having them around and a part of our family for so long that it does indeed leave a huge hole in our hearts and an emptiness in our lives that seems unbearable at times. Your precious memories will bring you comfort in the years to come, and will keep them alive in your hearts. Remember that they would never want you to be so sad when you remember them, but to rejoice in what you shared for so long. My heart goes out to you, you've been through a lot this year, please know you don't have to be alone in your grief, we'll share your burden and keep you in our thoughts, take care....... RIP little Ally, you'll be forever held in a loving heart!

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your losses, for everything you and your SO have been going through.  Bless you both.  Ally was a beautiful girl.  

jennngrovie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My heart goes out to you, and I PROMISE you time heals. Remember your precious loving moments together. I'm so sorry for your losses :(

ruthm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
19 years of love- that is truly wonderful, but I totally understand that no matter their age, there simply is never enough time with our precious furbabies.   I am sorry for the loss of your sweet little girl, fly free little one-you were so loved!