The Thing With Mice....

x-ta-z

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry didn't any other category to put this under...

Soleil brought home her first mouse about a month or so ago. Still alive and kicking she let the mouse go in our hallway and we had to let her chase it as we could never have managed to catch it. Because we didn't a live mouse (or any for that matter) in our house, we lured Soleil outdoors and shut all the doors. We then shook Soleil until she released the mouse, which played dead but soon ran away while we held on to Soleil (I have a soft spot for all living beings so didn't really want the mouse harmed).

Thinking that the poor mouse would move on after the near death experience, I didn't really worry too much. Especially as I have been told mice would avoid places that smell of cats.

Yesterday night, while I was watering my neighbor's plants I saw a shadow of what I thought was either a huge spider ... or a mouse..(?) swiftly seeking cover when it saw me coming. I got a bit worried so today I went and checked in daylight and found a few (2 to be exact) mouse droppings in that area.
It was right behind the fence that borders our property and very close to both our homes (Semi-detached). I am worried as I have decking out the back and the UK houses tend to be hollow underneath so a great place for mice to hang out....

I thought cat smell deters mice, but evidently not. Does anyone know why my cats don't seem to deter mice? Is it because I no longer let them roam at night (the UK animal killer is very active around our area so that's why they are locked up from sunset to sunrise)....

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Darwin effect? Even though your home has cats and smells of cats, the outside probably is not as pervasive. I have three cats who are outside during the day and mice still can be found in our yard. Although they don't live long if they catch a cats attention. Mice will go wherever there is food for them and if that is in the yard they will be there.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a LOT of cats, indoors, and mice still come inside :/. So I don't think cat smell deters them. Or some mice are just stupid ;).

Anyway, as long as they're outside I say that's fine. Wild animals live outdoors; there are probably a lot of mice in that area that you never noticed :).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

x-ta-z

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks! Might get a love trap and relocate it.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Thanks! Might get a love trap and relocate it.
If you catch it, you’ll need to take it a couple of miles away to release it! They find their way back. I speak from experience. :)