The Thanksgiving Thread

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We will be having dinner at my parent's house this year. With DH's job we don't get to travel for Thanksgiving or Christmas; so it's become the norm. One of my good friends comes for dinner every year before having another dinner at her father's house later in the day. This year at least 2 of my step-siblings are coming to town. Not sure about the others. I think one of my step-dad's single friends is coming too.

Mom and I are doing up a traditional dinner, and splitting up the cooking. Turkey, stuffing (with apples and cranberries, it's the best!!), mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, candied yams, green beans, broccoli puff, and yeast rolls. Then for desert we're making an apple pie, an apple cranberry pie, pecan pie, pumpkin pie, and maybe a pumpkin cheesecake. Oh and probably a pumpkin chocolate chip cake, for those not into all that pie business! Oh and for appetizers we do a tray of dill pickle spears, sweet baby girkens, black and green olives, spiced apple rings, and celery with cream cheese.

Last year was the first time I made the pumpkin cheesecake so I may look up another festive recipe. But it was so yummy I want to make it again. It's too rich to just make at just any time; so I'm still trying to make up my mind.

The new thing I'm doing this year is selling my yeast rolls to a family or two. One of Mom's friend's asked if I'd do it for her and I think someone else wanted some too. Not sure how much I'll ask for them, probably just a few dollars to help cover the costs.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will be driving back home to spend time with my family
My Grandma cooks the traditional meal for all 23 of us
This year, my Grandpa informed us that he will be getting us all prime rib
So, it will be the traditional turkey dinner for those who want it, and prime rib for the others
I think I might eat both

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in Arizona for a meeting this week, and this is where my MIL is, so DH is flying down on Saturday and we're spending Thanksgiving here with the in-laws. (It was the only way we could afford the airfare this year.
)

So we're going to my BIL's house for Thanksgiving. It's kind of a dressy, fancy affair. It'll be a total switch for me because I've always done Thanksgiving at my Mom's house where it's totally casual and everybody has their "specialty" dish so the cooking load is evened out. It's usually everybody crowded in the kitchen cooking and goofing around all day. (My specialty is the pies...I've recruited my 11-year-old nieces' help in the last couple years. You gotta love cheap child labor.
)

I offered to bring pies to BIL's, but so far no response. I wouldn't just turn up with them...his wife is somewhat easily offended.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tari

(My specialty is the pies...I've recruited my 11-year-old nieces' help in the last couple years. You gotta love cheap child labor.
)
Thats hilarious, I have cheap child labor, too

Thanksgiving will be at my Mother's house, everyone there, lots of food, fun and laughter.

wyatturpsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'll be driving my mother to my brother's. The traffic will be horrific, the food somewhat edible, and the company, well, since my brother's wife and her parents barely speak English, will be barely bearable (and that's when my mother and brother start discussing their various illnesses and scars, anyone want to see?). I can't wait to get back home! Oh, and then there's Christmas to look forward to also. I will make deviled eggs which my sister-in-law loves.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by menagerie mama

I am going to have to try a new recipe, since I didn't wait until after Thanksgiving to decide to be a Vegan. lol
I have to think of a way to do mashed potatoes that are as good as regular ones with milk and butter. I tried soy milk and soy butter last night, but they tasted funny.
I don't know if yogurt is vegan friendly but if it is I'd try that.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are spending Thanksgiving with Rob's parents this year (although I still stand by it being unfair they get to see us every single day, and my family doesnt get to see us all that much - only when we drive to NC ~12x a year.

I dont even know whats on the menu, though I'll probably only eat turkey and biscuits. I'm not really a fan of anything else on the table when we are eating there. I guess because a lot of it is different from what I had growing up on Thanksgiving!!

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

I don't know if yogurt is vegan friendly but if it is I'd try that.
It's not.
But thank you for the suggestion.

Originally Posted by emrldsky

I thought Veganism avoided any foods made from an animal (including all eggs, milk, cheese, butter, yogurt, etc.)?
You are right. Plain soy milk makes them taste funny, so I have to find something with less pronounced flavor to put in it.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It's not.
But thank you for the suggestion.

You are right. Plain soy milk makes them taste funny, so I have to find something with less pronounced flavor to put in it.
I should have know that... I wasn't quite fully awake apparently.

I do have a clear headed idea now... vegetable stock! Or maybe rice milk if you can find it. I don't know what kind of flavor it has but I've made mashed potatoes with stocks that turn out pretty good. You could use EVOO or some other oil to add a little fat and maybe some roasted garlic to boost the flavor. I actually made some roasted garlic and leek masked potatoes last weekend that were super yummy. So good they didn't even need gravy!

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

I should have know that... I wasn't quite fully awake apparently.

I do have a clear headed idea now... vegetable stock! Or maybe rice milk if you can find it. I don't know what kind of flavor it has but I've made mashed potatoes with stocks that turn out pretty good. You could use EVOO or some other oil to add a little fat and maybe some roasted garlic to boost the flavor. I actually made some roasted garlic and leek masked potatoes last weekend that were super yummy. So good they didn't even need gravy!
Do I boil them in the stock or just add it before mixing? I was thinking rice milk, too. I haven't tasted rice milk other than Horchata so I couldn't say yet if I think that would work, but I do have some in the cupboard to try.
Thanks for the suggestion.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Wow, you are all making me hungry!

Helen, can you share the recipe for the pumpkin cobbler?

My family comes here every Thanksgiving and the menu is always huge.
We're having turkey, ham, two kinds of stuffing, mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, vegetables, cranberry sauce, rolls, cheese and crackers, chip and dip, a hot pepperoni dip, grilled shrimp as an appetizer, and various desserts.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

Wow, you are all making me hungry!

Helen, can you share the recipe for the pumpkin cobbler?

My family comes here every Thanksgiving and the menu is always huge.
We're having turkey, ham, two kinds of stuffing, mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, vegetables, cranberry sauce, rolls, cheese and crackers, chip and dip, a hot pepperoni dip, grilled shrimp as an appetizer, and various desserts.
Sure thing:

Pumpkin Cobbler

1-29 oz. can of solid pack pumpkin
1-12 oz can evaporated milk
3 eggs
1 ¼ cups sugar
4 tsp. Pumpkin Spice
½ tsp. salt
1 pkg. Duncan Hines Moist Butter Recipe Cake Mix
1 cup (2 sticks) melted butter

Heat oven to 350 degrees
Mix pumpkin, milk, eggs, sugar, pumpkin spice and salt in mixing bowl.
Pour into 13X9 pan
Sprinkle cake mix over top of pumpkin mixture
Pour melted butter over cake mix

Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until golden brown

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are just having Thanksgiving here. Even though it is the 2 of us, I will most likely have a turkey. Then I make candied yams, dressing and gravy. I will have some vegetable. The girls love it when Mike shares his rotisserie chicken with them so I know they will probably love turkey too. The menu isn't locked in since I don't know if I am going to receive the $10-20 gift certificate from work this year. If we don't, then it will probably be chicken again this year.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow Americans!

We already celebrated Canadian Thanksgiving so we aren't doing it again... especially since everybody's at work/school that day.

I made up a great and super-easy way to make a healthy cranberry sauce! If you buy canned sauce, the first or second ingredient is usually high-fructose corn syrup (yikes & yucks).

Easy Healthy Yummy Cranberry Sauce
(make it the day before serving)

1.5 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
1 container of frozen apple juice concentrate (330 ml or about 12 oz)

Combine in a pot and simmer for about two hours, then chill.
If you want just sauce: simmer, strain and chill.

It was very good and was all eaten up which never happens here with the canned stuff.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Do I boil them in the stock or just add it before mixing? I was thinking rice milk, too. I haven't tasted rice milk other than Horchata so I couldn't say yet if I think that would work, but I do have some in the cupboard to try.
When I make mashed potatoes, I like to put horseradish in them. That might help mask any flavors that are "off", and frankly, horseradish mashed potatoes are just yummy!

Personally, I'll be working 11a-11:30pm. I'll be eating whatever fare they will be offering in the cafeteria. Happy Thanksgiving? Whatever.

I'll be saving that pumpkin cobbler recipe though!

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

It's not too far away!

What are your plans?

What's on the menu?

Are you trying any new recipes?

For our neighbors to the North, did you try a new recipe and was it successful?
Our plans this year are to go to in laws house for dinner, it's a beautiful house!
Not sure what's on the menu, Turkey for sure, and bunches of other stuff, Mil is a great cook!
I don't know about the new recipies, I'll yet ya know after...

lisalee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're going out to dinner with my parents. Will's family invited us over too, so we'll probably stop over there later on and maybe eat some more, will see.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'd try cooking them in it then using what you need of the cooking liquid to mash them. Yummy!